Off-centered camera in cockpit view

• Thread starter queleuleu
  • 18 comments
France
France
I wonder why so many premium cars in gt (and forza) have a camera not lined up with the center of the wheel? The car is perfect after six months of work but a poor camera not.
Thanks in advance for any answer.

One of the many mysteries surrounding PD, sadly this is largely unnoticed by players. There are more flaws affecting many Premiums like incorrect specs, lacking or broken interior functionality, even entirely fictional car models like the "Veyron '13", which suffers from a particularly crap cockpit view as well. You have to accept there's many quality inconsistencies in this game and the 6 months per car claim is a marketing lie.

In some cars it's there but not as noticeable. But the others...the camera is mounted like 3-4 inches away from the center. Either way, it's annoying.

Why is that sad?

That's my opinion. Cockpit is my favourite view, a bad cockpit view such as the Murciélago's can ruin the entire car for me. All the wrong sounds make lots of cars less enjoyable to drive than they should be too.
Edit: Just realised I said the fact that most players don't notice or care is sad. Well, it is for the same reasons, there's no pressure from players nor brands to put in more effort.

Do the maths and you'll find that it's not.

What math? We know the number of cars in the game which is heavily bloated (even Premiums) and we know neither how big their car modelling team really is, nor if they worked on cars the entire time. So many unknown variables you can bend it all you want until it fits.

A single person at their studios may work that long on an individual model, but what's with the Huayras, Mustangs, Veyrons, base models, the dozens of related cars that were there before GT6, where one is based on another. Six months spent on every single car is not true.

Last edited:
That's my opinion. Cockpit is my favourite view, a bad cockpit view such as the Murciélago's can ruin the entire car for me. All the wrong sounds make lots of cars less enjoyable to drive than they should be too.
Edit: Just realised I said the fact that most players don't notice or care is sad. Well, it is for the same reasons, there's no pressure from players nor brands to put in more effort.

If it's too small for most people to notice perhaps it's not a very big deal. I haven't tried the Murcielago since GT5 though, so I can't remember what it's like. I usually stick to the classic cars :)

What math? We know the number of cars in the game which is heavily bloated (even Premiums) and we know neither how big their car modelling team really is, nor if they worked on cars the entire time. So many unknown variables you can bend it all you want until it fits.

A single person at their studios may work that long on an individual model, but what's with the Huayras, Mustangs, Veyrons, the dozens of related cars that were there before GT6 where one is based on another. Six months spent on every single car is not true.

We can count just the unique models (from a 3D modeling point of view), of which there were 83 by the time the game launched:

If there are 83 cars to be made and each car takes 6 months, it would take 83*6 = 498 months to complete them all.

If they had 30 months between GT5 and GT6 to complete that work it would require 498 / 30 = 16.6 modelers.

Add to that the new models which are modifications of already existing models, such as the Abarth 500, the street version of the KTM crossbow etc. There were 10 such cars in GT6 at launch. If we're being generous and say that each one of those cars requires 2 months of work we need to add another 20 months worth of work.

So in total we have 518 months worth of work. Divided by 30 months that is 17.7 modelers.

In the ending credits of GT6 there are 18 car modelers, plus 19 car modeling assistants, plus 12 car modeling chiefs, plus seven car modeling directors. Even if only the car modelers are doing actual work on the cars the 6 months per car makes perfect sense.

Also, the position of the driver's eye view has very little to do with actual modeling time. You're comparing a task that can probably be done in less than an hour to a whole project that takes six months. As if a substantial amount of those six months would be used to place the camera views.

I think that PD should drop the 'shokunin' concept.

With all respect to the amazing culture of Japan, it makes utterly no sense to only get one man to work on one car. Especially considering stuff like this thread - people notice that the interiors AND camera positions are flawed.

Also wouldn't dropping the concept in question allow for faster car modelling...?

Also how about letting us modify the FOV and the camera position? Euro Truck Simulator 2 (yes, I know, PS3 vs PC difference) developers thought about it and it comes in handy very often.

Driveclub can make a multiple car DLC in coarse of a month.

PD only releases one or two imaginary car at the same time frame. Probably two real cars per half year.

And both has a high quality.

I call bullcrap at PDs six month. With experience and technology marches plus looking at other devs they have no excuse.

Driveclub can make a multiple car DLC in coarse of a month.

PD only releases one or two imaginary car at the same time frame. Probably two real cars per half year.

And both has a high quality.

I call bullcrap at PDs six month. With experience and technology marches plus looking at other devs they have no excuse.

So what? Do you know when they started making those DLC cars? The DLC frequency doesn't say anything about how long it took to make them, unless you think that nobody can start on a new car before all the current cars are complete. And if that's what you believe, then you're wrong.

Looking at the period between GT5 and GT6 it's about 2.5 unique models per month (about 4 models per month in total), not two per half year. Wether a car is a production car or a concept car has no relevance to the time it takes to model them, so take your VGT rant to an appropriate tread.

Well, many cars do have steering shafts that are offset to the left or right of the driver. It has to clear the front suspension, engine, exhaust, and what not. Which can ultimately leave the steering wheel a bit off to one side. If that's what your talking about then I'd say it's accurate most of the time.

That said, the Challenger and 'Cuda are practically the same car but have very different camera setups. You're sat right on top of the wheel in the Dodge and leaned way back in the Plymouth. So there is definitely some inconsistency.

In my opinion, the weird cockpit view in a few cars is just a bug. Otherwise, the seat and the wheel are not lined up in real life? I find it very surprising that almost no one point out this bug.

In my opinion, the weird cockpit view in a few cars is just a bug. Otherwise, the seat and the wheel are not lined up in real life? I find it very surprising that almost no one point out this bug.

As I said, it's not a bug, but rather a result of packaging.

True life:

6bFSInQ.jpg

Gran Turismo 6:

EySrBKk.jpg

Last edited:
It's still irritating. I doubt the amount of offset in the SLR or the position in the Murciélago is accurate.

Back