Is it time to let go?

• Thread starter robbyf
  • 335 comments
United States
ft worth
Even though I read the boards daily I never write or post. I am more of lurker, but I would like to bring up for discussion a topic in regards to what exactly Gran Turismo means to me, you and of all us. With Forza 6 just weeks away from release and still refusing to buy an xbox I'm starting to question myself a lot . Forza 6 looks AMAZING.
Also like a lot of you I started playing gt1 when it first came out..I was a young probably 11 or 12. Played with my friends for hours..great memories.
Then got gran turismo 2 one Christmas. I remember playing that all Christmas break with my dad ..one of my favorite memories.
My first ps2 came with gt3 remember being blown away with the graphics. And playing until my fingers hurt talking to girlfriends on the phone and listening to my teenage music in my room in high school. Memories.
Then gt4 came...i guess I was 20 or 21 or so. I was an adult and that's around the time my first son came. Gt4 was glorious. I remember my fiance thinking I'm nuts while playing hours and hours or taking photos or watching b spec Bob race for me or falling asleep with the photomode slideshow and then later winning eendurance races with blistered thumbs. Gt4 Felt less like a game more like a lifestyle.Memories, memories ,memories.

All four of the first games coincided with very important phases in my life. From pre-teen to teen to adult hood. From middle school, to high school to starting a family not to mention the Playstion upgrades . I grew up with that controller in my hand , with the tune shop, the the legacy tracks, the lounge music jazz...and I don't want to let go. I really don't. I'm 31 now. I have 3 kids..( and yes they play too and that's a trip in itself!) I am married I have a real job. I still play gt6 I'm the constant quest to find the "perfect car" or the perfect tune.
I like to read these forums becaus I see a lot of you like me, but I can't help but feel like a lot of us are missing out on making new memroies and playing a better game because we can't let go. I want that feeling of a new playstion and a new GT so bad, I'm afraid to buy anything else. Why...am I afraid I'll like it more? Is it time to let go?

Edit: I think the point I'm trying to make with all that is GT is more than just a game to a lot of us. Its part of who we are. How we grew up, and deeply intertwined with our soul, but because of all that I am refusing to try and get what could be an even better game.

Last edited:
I'm 31 so I feel like you're right around my age and I definitely relate. I was 14 when GT1 came out and it taught me almost everything I know about cars. I've only ever played Forza at a friends house once or twice about 6 years ago. It was Forza 2 or 3. I didn't like how the cars controlled, like at all. It didn't feel natural to me. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck and happiness.

If you want those memories again, start a fresh save in GT4. (Or 3, or 2, or 1 - whichever your favorite is, pick at random, or whatever. GT4 is my favorite and my standard for which all other GT-style games are judged, so it was the natural choice.) That's what I did recently and it's wonderful.

I play the Forza games a lot with friends (don't own any yet, but I might soon). They're fun and I'm definitely a fan of the series, but for me they don't have the magic that Gran Turismo does. Maybe that's just because I grew up playing GT...who knows. Gran Turismo 6, for all its criticisms, did get a similar reaction from me when I took it home with me after getting it on the midnight release. GT4 was the first game I ever pre-ordered, and GT6 the second (pre-ordered at the same time as GTA V). I don't really play it anymore, because I feel like 5 and 6 lost the magic that 1-4 had. But putting in a brand new GT game to the disc drive for the first time will never not be special. Maybe Kaz will bring us the magic back in GT7. Maybe Forza 6 will be as amazing as it looks. But I feel like that even if it is it won't be as satisfying as the experiences I also had growing up with the first 4 GTs. I'm drooling over Need for Speed and Project CARS much more than I am over Forza 6.

25-BMW-Motorsport-3.0-CSL-638x359.jpg

I blame this image! That's looks incredible. While I'm over here just hoping every day for an update or new VGT.

It's just an Xbox 1 is a big investment.

Can't forgot the memories!! I first bought GT4 back in 2008 and loved it. My first racing game ever! I then bought GT3 in June 2008 and it was great! I never got round to all of it sadly but it was still fun. Then my PS2 died in 2011. But sadly, neither GT5 or 6 had the greatness of GT3 and GT4. GT5 was just too easy in difficulty. So that game was more a practice ground for me. GT6 was lacking several major things it should of had such as proper endurance racing and a Fromula GT championship. I'm very tempted to still my PS3 and buy another PS2.

It's just an Xbox 1 is a big investment.

So is a PS4! With either series, to stay current you'll have to shell out. Unfortunately, because I play both Gran Turismo and Halo (and Forza), I'm going to have to eventually get both.

Even though I read the boards daily I never write or post. I am more of lurker, but I would like to bring up for discussion a topic in regards to what exactly Gran Turismo means to me, you and of all us. With Forza 6 days away from release and still refusing to buy an xbox I'm starting to question myself a lot . Forza 6 looks AMAZING.
Also like a lot of you I started playing gt1 when it first came out..I was a young probably 11 or 12. Played with my friends for hours..great memories.
Then got gran turismo 2 one Christmas. I remember playing that all Christmas break with my dad ..one of my favorite memories.
My first ps2 came with gt3 remember being blown away with the graphics. And playing until my fingers hurt talking to girlfriends on the phone and listening to my teenage music in my room in high school. Memories.
Then gt4 came...i guess I was 20 or 21 or so. I was an adult and that's around the time my first son came. Gt4 was glorious. I remember my fiance thinking I'm nuts while playing hours and hours or taking photos or watching b spec Bob race for me or falling asleep with the photomode slideshow and then later winning eendurance races with blistered thumbs. Gt4 Felt less like a game more like a lifestyle.Memories, memories ,memories.

All four of the first games coincided with very important phases in my life. From pre-teen to teen to adult hood. From middle school, to high school to starting a family not to mention the Playstion upgrades . I grew up with that controller in my hand , with the tune shop, the the legacy tracks, the lounge music jazz...and I don't want to let go. I really don't. I'm 31 now. I have 3 kids..( and yes they play too and that's a trip in itself!) I am married I have a real job. I still play gt6 I'm the constant quest to find the "perfect car" or the perfect tune.
I like to read these forums becaus I see a lot of you like me, but I can't help but feel like a lot of us are missing out on making new memroies and playing a better game because we can't let go. I want that feeling of a new playstion and a new GT so bad, I'm afraid to buy anything else. Why...am I afraid I'll like it more? Is it time to let go?

Edit: I think the point I'm trying to make with all that is GT is more than just a game to a lot of us. Its part of who we are. How we grew up, and deeply intertwined with our soul, but because of all that I am refusing to try and get what could be an even better game.
I feel you, back in 1998 I haphazardly rented a game called Gran Turismo from a local blockbuster video store. Immediately I was hooked. I loved the game so much that I forgot what a social life I once had. I met my first love within this period of time. She brought me back to reality, however I always came back to racing gran turismo. I wished at the time I had friends nearby that also played this game just to gauge how good I was along with them.

Fast forward to December 1999. My first love bought me GT2 for the December Festivities. There was not a single thing that she could have ever done to beat this feat. I was more immersed into this game and racing then ever before. I spent a good amount of my "off time" tweaking my ability to be a better racer against AI racers the game gave me. It was a simpler time in my life, it was easy to invest time to beat the game back then even though 100% never came due to a coding problem on the disc I believe it was.

Fast forward to late 2000. Rumors were out, GT3 was due to released within months. Well my first love and I ceased to exist anymore. It was a tough period. I had let go of the one person that kept me centered; I feel she felt the same at the time. Later just after my daughter was born I found out she did feel the same. I was well onto a career path at that time that separated us. Eventually my career path went down another hallway. Come April 2001 GT3 was released. I was excited and got it right away. I played and played but I never really got deposit into it like GT or GT2. Then one day in early 2002, after being a total Dave Coleman Fanboy, a slight snip was published about a website dedicated to the Gran Turismo series. I held back a bit but then joined after lurking for a bit.

It was a while new world to me at 23 on GTP. I came here just seeking advice for a video game. Now while I don't have a post count to rival those that have been apart of this community since before or around the time I joined, this community has been here thick and thin for me. It was a new lease on life. I finally met people that were interested in not just a game, but in a community that cared for cars and racing them regardless if it was digital or not. Back then there were some real characters that made this forum feel alive. I met a lot if people here and latched onto a good handful of great people that I say we're my online friends, had I met them in person I would give them anything I could at the time because they were important to me. The missing link that started this was GT3.

The novelty of GT3 wore out, but the friends I made went further then a simple video game. Life threw quite a few curveballs and I left my home state to be nearer to family. As I came close to my family, my GTP family became a little distant for me. I was in a weird portion of life discovering where I had to go. I still played GT3 at the time, but I did not communicate with anyone here. GT3 eventually turned into just a chore and I did not get pleasure from the game. I will say the high point of GT3 was when we had a party before I left Florida we lined up everyone and played 1 v 1 racing cars. Out of 24 a buddy an I were the final 2 people left after beating everyone. We faced off in the final. I had given him the choice of any car including any F1 car as long as I had choice of track. He chose one of my F1 cars while I picked the Vertigo Race Car. The track I made us race on was Rome. (Look at the WRS Archive I believe it was the original week 3 or 4 that race was featured during). It was a heroic 15 lap race that ended in defeat by less then .100 seconds. 1 lap less then I had a true form of bragging rights, but still the loss gap was something to truly brag about.

After the going away party I entered a period of being a void mark and memory of GTP. Time went on, GT4 was released people played it. I got it and played it, but remained an entity of GTP past at that point. For most GT4 was the pinnacle of the series, but in my book GT3 was the best in my book. I made a brief reappearance to GTP after GT4 was released but that was a short span of time during which I was still picking up pieces of my life and it didn't last long.

Fast forward a bit and GT5P came out. Being away from the forum for so long made me very introverted at the time. I had an online social issue. I registered here with a new name just to race people online with the new feature GT5P allowed us to do. I met some great new users of this forum at the time and to this day they still don't know me, but still post and are relatively active members.

Then I had my daughter which changed my life. I caught up with everything in life but still was behind the bullet. GT5 released and I did not get back to gaming until the final year of GT5.

I finally found myself back at GTP, and low and behold my old username and password still worked. I started racing again. Against people online and realized I wasn't as slow as I thought I was. I have been here ever since and with the release of GT6 I may have felt it was not perfect, it was still a game I played.

So to answer the question of "time to let go...." I feel one never truly let's go, one just gives time for improvement and then rejoins.

I feel you, back in 1998 I haphazardly rented a game called Gran Turismo from a local blockbuster video store. Immediately I was hooked. I loved the game so much that I forgot what a social life I once had. I met my first love within this period of time. She brought me back to reality, however I always came back to racing gran turismo. I wished at the time I had friends nearby that also played this game just to gauge how good I was along with them.

Fast forward to December 1999. My first love bought me GT2 for the December Festivities. There was not a single thing that she could have ever done to beat this feat. I was more immersed into this game and racing then ever before. I spent a good amount of my "off time" tweaking my ability to be a better racer against AI racers the game gave me. It was a simpler time in my life, it was easy to invest time to beat the game back then even though 100% never came due to a coding problem on the disc I believe it was.

Fast forward to late 2000. Rumors were out, GT3 was due to released within months. Well my first love and I ceased to exist anymore. It was a tough period. I had let go of the one person that kept me centered; I feel she felt the same at the time. Later just after my daughter was born I found out she did feel the same. I was well onto a career path at that time that separated us. Eventually my career path went down another hallway. Come April 2001 GT3 was released. I was excited and got it right away. I played and played but I never really got deposit into it like GT or GT2. Then one day in early 2002, after being a total Dave Coleman Fanboy, a slight snip was published about a website dedicated to the Gran Turismo series. I held back a bit but then joined after lurking for a bit.

It was a while new world to me at 23 on GTP. I came here just seeking advice for a video game. Now while I don't have a post count to rival those that have been apart of this community since before or around the time I joined, this community has been here thick and thin for me. It was a new lease on life. I finally met people that were interested in not just a game, but in a community that cared for cars and racing them regardless if it was digital or not. Back then there were some real characters that made this forum feel alive. I met a lot if people here and latched onto a good handful of great people that I say we're my online friends, had I met them in person I would give them anything I could at the time because they were important to me. The missing link that started this was GT3.

The novelty of GT3 wore out, but the friends I made went further then a simple video game. Life threw quite a few curveballs and I left my home state to be nearer to family. As I came close to my family, my GTP family became a little distant for me. I was in a weird portion of life discovering where I had to go. I still played GT3 at the time, but I did not communicate with anyone here. GT3 eventually turned into just a chore and I did not get pleasure from the game. I will say the high point of GT3 was when we had a party before I left Florida we lined up everyone and played 1 v 1 racing cars. Out of 24 a buddy an I were the final 2 people left after beating everyone. We faced off in the final. I had given him the choice of any car including any F1 car as long as I had choice of track. He chose one of my F1 cars while I picked the Vertigo Race Car. The track I made us race on was Rome. (Look at the WRS Archive I believe it was the original week 3 or 4 that race was featured during). It was a heroic 15 lap race that ended in defeat by less then .100 seconds. 1 lap less then I had a true form of bragging rights, but still the loss gap was something to truly brag about.

After the going away party I entered a period of being a void mark and memory of GTP. Time went on, GT4 was released people played it. I got it and played it, but remained an entity of GTP past at that point. For most GT4 was the pinnacle of the series, but in my book GT3 was the best in my book. I made a brief reappearance to GTP after GT4 was released but that was a short span of time during which I was still picking up pieces of my life and it didn't last long.

Fast forward a bit and GT5P came out. Being away from the forum for so long made me very introverted at the time. I had an online social issue. I registered here with a new name just to race people online with the new feature GT5P allowed us to do. I met some great new users of this forum at the time and to this day they still don't know me, but still post and are relatively active members.

Then I had my daughter which changed my life. I caught up with everything in life but still was behind the bullet. GT5 released and I did not get back to gaming until the final year of GT5.

I finally found myself back at GTP, and low and behold my old username and password still worked. I started racing again. Against people online and realized I wasn't as slow as I thought I was. I have been here ever since and with the release of GT6 I may have felt it was not perfect, it was still a game I played.

So to answer the question of "time to let go...." I feel one never truly let's go, one just gives time for improvement and then rejoins.

This Is what I'm talking about. I love reading this.

This would be like the ultimate commercial for gt7 showing kid growing up playing GT during different stages of his life and then like playing gt7 with his kids. Kinda like that super bowl commercial NISMO/Nissan did. Its a legacy.

Last edited:
For some very odd reason, I felt that as good as it looks, Im not exactly win over the Forza 6. It graphics are amazing but the lack of dynamic weather and time reminds me of the GT5 at its early stages. Almost all racing games had one. Hope that the future update fix that. And theres the physics which hopefully getting more realistic.

And also theres presentation. F5 and F6 looks like they try too hard to be elegant and epic. GT series has always been the king of that section. It felt more natural, altough I miss most of the "cars park at places" presentation instead of just four on the photo travel in GT6.

What im really won me over is the epic customization which is actually the old feature. And also yeah the car list. Forget course maker. GT should copy that car list to won me over.

Last edited:
This would be like the ultimate commercial for gt7 showing kid growing up playing GT during different stages of his life and then like playing gt7 with his kids. Kinda like that super bowl commercial NISMO/Nissan did. Its a legacy.

Although I wouldn't qualify I would love to see this come true at least as a tribute to those loyal to the series since day 1 (PD owes them one for their support over all these years imho)

For some very odd reason, I felt that as good as it looks, Im not exactly win over the Forza 6. It graphics are amazing but the lack of dynamic weather and time reminds me of the GT5 at its early stages. Almost all racing games had one. Hope that the future update fix that. And theres the physics which hopefully getting more realistic.

And also theres presentation. F5 and F6 looks like they try too hard to be elegant and epic. GT series has always been the king of that section. It felt more natural, altough I miss most of the "cars park at places" presentation instead of just four on the photo travel in GT6.

What im really won me over is the epic customization which is actually the old feature. And also yeah the car list. Forget course maker. GT should copy that car list to won me over.
I am having the exact same thoughts . I've actually played a little forza..forza 2 and 4. I loved the customization the most and being able to do engine swaps but the tracks and physics never felt quite right to me, and the bright graphics look great on the back of the box or screenshot but they are not nearly as immersive as gran turismo's presentation. That being said, ive always compared every racing game agasint gran turismo as if they were the ones to get it right.

I too have grown up with GT and always feel a certain connection to it that other racing games don't seem to have. I played GT1 and 2 to death back in the day. Didn't have a PS2 so I skipped 3 and 4. With PS3 and GT5P I still felt that magic. Even with GT5 which is widely panned I still feel it's more than good enough. GT6 was still good, but a couple of updates last year messed up the wheel FFB and turned me off the game completely. I began to "broaden my horizons" so to speak and started investigating PC sims. My rose tinted views on GT started coming off then. PD is wayyyyy behind in terms of physics, FFB, sound and racing aspects of the game. Nowadays GT is just another game in my book. Still a very good game, but no longer the absolute KING that it have been for the previous 15 years. Having said that, I still play GT at least once a week and every new update still has me grinning in anticipation. Warts and all, playing GT just feels like home.

I have also played Forza 4 at a friend's house. Car list is better. Track list not so much. Physics are hit and miss (sense of weight is quite good, but the sense of grip is a bit vague). Customization wins hands down though. Honestly you can't go wrong with both games. It's just a matter of which console you prefer (or get both if you have the money). I have always been a Sony man though, so I can't see myself buying Forza unless it goes multiplatform, no matter how good it is.

I think to an extent, Gran Turismo's place in the racing genre is to get people to love cars. The beauty of the graphics, the sim-like yet accessible handling and the encyclopedic car roster serves to instill a sense of wonder and discovery in people otherwise uninterested in cars. Once they are hooked, they are free to branch out. Those who like more arcade games can go to NFS, those who like simcades to GRID, those who want hardcore goes to PC. But as a first stepping stone I think everyone should play Gran Turismo (or Forza if you're on XBOX).

Moving forward, I will certainly still buy and follow every GT game, but I don't see myself playing it as religiously as I have in the past. It's not quite letting go, but more of getting a broader perspective of the racing sim landscape. No game is perfect, so the more game you play the cumulative experience will add up and come close to perfect. That's how I like to think of it 👍

Having moved on from console gaming and getting into hardcore PC racing sims 3-4 years ago I can give you an outsiders perspective which is that Forza completely destroys GT in terms of what they offer. I used to think that GT was always better because it had realistic physics, which it really doesn't. So what does GT really have that is better than Forza these days? Actually that's kind of hard to answer when they haven't even released a game on the next gen console yet which is absurd in itself.

But if I was going to buy a console to play a racing game it would be an Xbox, Forza has an insanely good car list and the customisation is amazing.

I used to think that GT was always better because it had realistic physics, which it really doesn't.

I mean neither GT or Forza are hardcore sims so of course their physics will be more arcadey than said hardcore sims. But within that realm I much prefer GT's physics to Forza's. Just what I'm used to, though.

So what does GT really have that is better than Forza these days?

Track list. When playing Forza there are many tracks not present that I wish were, but there's only ever been one Forza track I wished was in other games (Fujimi Kaido).

In addition, to be honest I prefer GT's (any of 'em) car list to Forza's. Yes, even all those Skylines. I love having such a huge encyclopedia of cars to choose from and buy, which is one of GT's strongest suits. As for not all of the cars being "premium"...I don't really care. I like to race, not look at graphics. Forza's graphics are nice and the car customization (at least visually) blows GT out of the water, but other than that?

Forza completely destroys GT in terms of what they offer.

I don't think so. (I'm not saying GT completely destroys Forza either mind you.) For my money Forza offers a game with heavy emphasis on the visual (nice graphics with very nice exterior customization) while GT delivers more on immersion into the game and the world of cars. Neither game can tout physics/racing dynamics as a strong suit when comparing to sims, so all that's left is features and visuals. GT has the features (cars, tracks, etc.) while Forza has the visuals. I know which one I'd rather have.

And that's all if we're comparing GT5/6 to Forza 4/5...if we're comparing those games with GT4 I have a whole stack of things I could list that the old GT game has that the newer Forza games lack. But mainly: atmosphere. And thus really effective immersion. To me, GT5/6 and Forza 4/5 all lack it, and it's what made the first four GTs so magical.

But again...all just my opinion. I still think Forza is a great series, and if I keep talking about what I love about each for much longer I'm going to start working on my own racing game concept again...

GT physics may not be perfect or the best compared to say Assetto Corsa or PCars. But it definitely beats Forza.

All I say is lets see if Forza 6 can perfected its physics engine.

Have they even given a hint of a release date for GT7? I agree about the track list being better in GT, but not the car list. There's a higher number of cars but Forza has a higher quality of cars as they have covered all of the enthusiast cars that GT still lacks. GT is basically a JDM simulator, it's like a living catalogue of japanese cars with jazz music playing in the background :D

If you think of Forza as an alternate evolution of what Gran Turismo 3 could have become, then it becomes much more palatable to those who really need the GT name to feel at home.

Modern Gran Turismo is what has become of taking the original Gran Turismo formula and cutting it down into the most streamlined racing experience possible, no qualifying, no fancy races, just you and your car and the track. Even the customisation of your car is limited, because it's about driving. Gran Turismo does one thing and does it exceptionally well, but beyond that it's pretty limited.

Forza is what has become of taking the original Gran Turismo formula and making it more expansive. Wider tuning options and customisation, a broader range of cars instead of a deeper one. It's more about appreciating the cars than racing, but the game has so many options that everyone can find something that they like.

Honestly, if you liked early GTs then you'll like Forza just fine. It's a far more obvious descendant of the early games where driving real cars and upgrading them to racing machines was the main goal. Forza still does that, but has built a whole lot of extra stuff around that core. It's basically just Super HD Gran Turismo 2 Online.

Gran Turismo has morphed into this slightly odd thing that is halfway between simulator, motorsports marketing machine, and pure automotive fantasy sandbox. To me, GT6 bears far less resemblance to GT2 than FM4 did. And FM5 was a very similar experience to GT3, but scaled up a couple of generations.

There's a higher number of cars but Forza has a higher quality of cars as they have covered all of the enthusiast cars that GT still lacks. GT is basically a JDM simulator, it's like a living catalogue of japanese cars with jazz music playing in the background :D

And I prefer it that way :D Different strokes, I guess. While I'd prefer some more cars from outside of JDM, I really have always loved the car options in GT and never wished a certain model was there that was absent. That said, don't look at my car wishlist...

If you think of Forza as an alternate evolution of what Gran Turismo 3 could have become, then it becomes much more palatable to those who really need the GT name to feel at home.

That's an awesome way of looking at it. I definitely get the GT3 vibe from Forza, now that I think about it. If the physics were GT3 physics, I think my experiences with the two would be extremely similar.

I'd also really love it if they called it Super HD Gran Turismo 2 Online.

This Is what I'm talking about. I love reading this.

I remember watching something similar to your idea on youtube, I think it was PlayStation related? Or something...

EDIT:
Not sure if there's any NFSW thing in that video (which I doubt) but still....

Anyway, while I was born in 1999, my first GT game was still the GT1. I really LOVED that game. I easily got hooked to it and it wasn't just me but my family too. It's one of the main reason why I started to love cars and know about them.

Then I played GT3 + GTC then GT2 and then GT4. I really felt in love with them, those are my Favourite GT games. Even after GT5 had been released, I still go back to GT4 but sadly I can't anymore since my PS2 won't read the discs right now.

Nowadays, although I play games like GTA V, DBX, Rocket League....etc I still go back to GT gamea from time to time.

I just hate it when some random game thinks that GT is just some boring Simulator and it sucks...well talking about GT in general. I just hate someone say that...well for GT games that isn't GT6 since I didn't like that much.

I don't know what I'm even saying right now but as a gamer, I was "born" with playing GT and I'm still playing it...in fact I actually play GT games more than me playing Fifa, COD and minecraft combined which's a thing that some random people might call me crazy for playing a Game video about cars that much.

Last edited:
Even though I read the boards daily I never write or post. I am more of lurker, but I would like to bring up for discussion a topic in regards to what exactly Gran Turismo means to me, you and of all us. With Forza 6 just weeks away from release and still refusing to buy an xbox I'm starting to question myself a lot . Forza 6 looks AMAZING.

It was time to let go when GT5 came out because GT started to fall behind its time, and recent racing games doesn't help GT look better at all, it only makes GT seem outdated. GT got stuck to the PS2 era, when they went on PS3 they didn't make the step forward that most racing games did.

Change is good (but not always), maybe it's time for you to go to XBox and create some new memories with a completely new game and maybe you'll realize that you missed out on something for many years or maybe it will only make your love for GT stronger than ever.

Above I was talking about GT being outdated since GT5, the fact that the weather is not dynamic makes Forza a bit outdated to what other recent racing games can do really well (including GT5/6). If GT7 comes out with FM6 and they both have a livery editor and GT adds more race cars and race categories and real life tracks, the wise choice would be GT7 without a doubt. But that's jsut my opinion.

Last edited:
Above I was talking about GT being outdated since GT5, the fact that the weather is not dynamic makes Forza a bit outdated to what other recent racing games can do really well (including GT5/6). If GT7 comes out with FM6 and they both have a livery editor and GT adds more race cars and race categories and real life tracks, the wise choice would be GT7 without a doubt. But that's jsut my opinion.

Yeah, but realistically GT is unlikely to add all the features that Forza has. So there will always be a trade off between what GT does better and what Forza does better. Static time and weather is likely good enough to make Forza not a total write off for most people just because of that (and there's always Horizon if you really need your weather fix), and I'll be very, very surprised if GT gets anywhere near the level of customisation and the breadth of car choice that FM6 will have. Or the detail of physics and tuning, to be perfectly honest.

As with FM4 vs. GT5, it'll be swings and roundabouts. In any given area one can point out which game is better, but which game is better overall will depend on how important those things are to each individual.

Has any of us in our early to late 30's ever considered the age at which we felt such passion and interest in Gran Turismo?
I've played as you all have since my mind was very young and impressionable.
At 38 years old, I feel much the same as the conversation in this thread.

You ask is this the end?
I ask... Is it possible we felt the "magic" because of our young years doing what they were supposed to do?
We were all a bunch of kids just realizing how cool Gran Turismo was back then.
I see it in my sons eyes with GT6.
He looks like me with GT1.
Our minds have matured beyond the magic, we still love to play, but will never experience it again through a ten year olds eyes.

XXI
Has any of us in our early to late 30's ever considered the age at which we felt such passion and interest in Gran Turismo?
I've played as you all have since my mind was very young and impressionable.
At 38 years old, I feel much the same as the conversation in this thread.

You ask is this the end?
I ask... Is it possible we felt the "magic" because of our young years doing what they were supposed to do?
We were all a bunch of kids just realizing how cool Gran Turismo was back then.
I see it in my sons eyes with GT6.
He looks like me with GT1.
Our minds have matured beyond the magic, we still love to play, but will never experience it again through a ten year olds eyes.
I asked my dad why he loved it so much. He sounded like anyone of you guys on here. except he's 59. He loved Gran Turismo and Driver while he still played games. Sat him down before to play GT6 with a G27, absolutely love it and killed it. Good times.

I'm in my 40's and I'm more interested than I was 15 years ago. I know people will disagree, but the modern GT's are leaps and bounds better than the early titles which were still great in their time.

I'm sure I've mentioned this numerous times in other threads, but here's a list of things that make the latest gen games better than the originals:

• More tracks
  • More cars
  • Detailed car interiors
  • Better graphics (of course)
  • Better wheel support
  • Weather transitions
  • Time transitions
  • Force feedback
  • Better AI (you want road blocks? Try GT2, 3, 4)
  • Improved physics engine
  • Improved sounds (though not perfect)
  • Online/Community play
  • Updated events (though repetitive, they are at least *something*)
  • DLC
  • GT Academy
  • Improved car customization
  • Course creator (in 5, GT6 eventually)
  • B-Spec (4, 5, 6)
  • Data logger
  • Photomode

I'm in my 40's and I'm more interested than I was 15 years ago. I know people will disagree, but the modern GT's are leaps and bounds better than the early titles which were still great in their time.

I'm sure I've mentioned this numerous times in other threads, but here's a list of things that make the latest gen games better than the originals:

• More tracks
  • More cars
  • Detailed car interiors
  • Better graphics (of course)
  • Better wheel support
  • Weather transitions
  • Time transitions
  • Force feedback
  • Better AI (you want road blocks? Try GT2, 3, 4)
  • Improved physics engine
  • Improved sounds (though not perfect)
  • Online/Community play
  • Updated events (though repetitive, they are at least *something*)
  • DLC
  • GT Academy
  • Improved car customization
  • Course creator (in 5, GT6 eventually)
  • B-Spec (4, 5, 6)
  • Data logger
  • Photomode

Finally someone else that sees the glass half full and not half empty like so many. I agree 100% with you.

Finally someone else that sees the glass half full and not half empty like so many. I agree 100% with you.
I never had the privilege to play Gt1 or Gt2 as far I remember, however, I may have at one point with him, or by myself. Because my dad came home from work one day to play GT2, finish up the game, almost to 100%..with how hard that game was, that's amazing...apparently I deleted it off of the memory card...:guilty:

I suppose it was Karma back on GT5 when I had to restart the game at 98% after game data corrupted and couldn't be salvaged. Circle of Life

Latest Posts

Back