This is the stupidest op-ed against IndyCar

• Thread starter A2K78
  • 11 comments
He calls for an end to IndyCar in the wake of Wilson's death

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...car-is-clearly-too-risky-time-to-shut-it-down

Someone should tell this guy that motorsports is inherently dangerous the drivers(and riders) already know and accept the risk involved.

The safety in Indycar leaves alot to be desired. When you have 8 deaths in 20 years with the rate not slowing down at all, something is terribly wrong. By comparison, MotoGP has only had 2 deaths in the past 20 years, and we know how dangerous it is.

Last edited:
The safety in Indycar leaves alot to be desired. When you have 8 deaths in 20 years with the rate not slowing down at all, something is terribly wrong. By comparison, MotoGP has only had 2 deaths in the past 20 years, and we know how dangerous it is.

Realistically, MotoGP has 3 deaths(Kato, Tomizawa, and Simonicelli) in the last 15 years. With the exception of Kato(which as caused by a highside and lack of a adequate safety device e.g. an airfence), the deaths of Simoncelli and Tomizawa were unpreventable.

Realistically, MotoGP has 3 deaths(Kato, Tomizawa, and Simonicelli) in the last 15 years. With the exception of Kato(which as caused by a highside and lack of a adequate safety device e.g. an airfence), the deaths of Simoncelli and Tomizawa were unpreventable.

Unpreventable? Why aren't there calls for MotoGP to be shut down as well?

There are, quite regularly. You're picking and choosing arguments now.

Well that's interesting. I've never seen them, I guess I'll look into that. I certainly don't remember any news service such as the AP calling for it to be shut down.

Well that's interesting. I've never seen them, I guess I'll look into that. I certainly don't remember any news service such as the AP calling for it to be shut down.

That's because agencies like AP and Reuters don't write opinion pieces, they simply report on news and opinion.

with the rate not slowing down at all
Do you not think almost half a decade before a freak accident occurred indicates that the chance of a fatality has decreased quite dramatically?
By comparison, MotoGP has only had 2 deaths in the past 20 years, and we know how dangerous it is.
Why pick one series of many to try and sway the argument in your favour? NW200 has had 17 fatalities in the past 20 years. Why aren't you launching a tirade against their safety measures too?

Back