Sure I want the new Ford GT, but I wouldn't trade a single VGT for it.

United States
Tennessee
tnfedexman
A lot of fuss has been made over Forza 6's car list, especially the new Ford GT. The noise will only get louder as the casual gamers switch to what is new and shiny.

As I reflect back on GT 6 I can't help but be really impressed with the VGT cars. Some people just don't get it. These manufacturers are putting real resources and real money towards these designs. Many of which I think will start to appear in some form or another in their actual production lines. I feel the best is yet to come for the VGT cars and I can't wait to see how it all ends. So Forza you can have the current model Ford GT, I'll see you in the future with my VGT's.

Last edited:
I find VGT's offensive myself. I will never understand why anybody would actually prefer this kind of made up fantasy rubbish in a game with the "Real Driving Simulator" written on the box to real licenced cars.

I wonder how many standards they could have upgraded to full premium status instead of making VGT's.

I find VGT's offensive myself. I will never understand why anybody would actually prefer this kind of made up fantasy rubbish in a game with the "Real Driving Simulator" written on the box to real licenced cars.
Because they don't take a marketing slogan seriously maybe, or because they see it as a great way to show the talent of the world's car designers and engineers when they're not restricted by anything, or because some of them are actually fun to drive? I dunno, maybe just me.

Depends on the car, I'd rather have some of the VGT's we've had than the current crop of hypercars for instance, but I'd rather have some real M cars than the 2X for example. If PD were making up the cars themselves I might agree with you a little, but these are manufacturer concepts, and personally I find concept cars quite interesting.

I wonder how many standards they could have upgraded to full premium status instead of making VGT's.

A few probably, but it's pretty much irrelevant.

Because they don't take a marketing slogan seriously maybe, or because they see it as a great way to show the talent of the world's car designers and engineers when they're not restricted by anything, or because some of them are actually fun to drive? I dunno, maybe just me.

It's not just you. Given the positive/negative posts split in the relevant VGT reveal threads, I'd say you are amongst the majority and I am amongst the minority.

A few probably, but it's pretty much irrelevant.

They became irrelevant the instant they released the first VGT - sadly enough.

I wonder if the Veyron was ever a concept in someone's mind way back whenever. We've come a long way since 1959, let alone 1909.

It's not just you. Given the positive/negative posts split in the relevant VGT reveal threads, I'd say you are amongst the majority and I am amongst the minority.

They became irrelevant the instant they released the first VGT - sadly enough.

Do you hold the same grudge against cars such as the Formula Gran Turismo, or something like the SMS Formula cars in Project Cars? (i.e. can't get a license so just make something up)

I wonder if the Veyron was ever a concept in someone's mind way back whenever. We've come a long way since 1959, let alone 1909.

I don't doubt it. I'd just rather drive the finished article than the concept.

Do you hold the same grudge against cars such as the Formula Gran Turismo, or something like the SMS Formula cars in Project Cars? (i.e. can't get a license so just make something up)

Yes, but it's not a grudge. It's a difference of opinion over priorities.

Ok, I did not really feel like joining yet another "VGT hate" discussion, but now I really must express my own thoughts regarding all this;

This whole project, the Vision GT project, was never meant to act as the main and sole vessel of new cars for Gran Turismo 6, in my honest opinion. However, it was PD's treatment of it which caused the project to do just that, and that is the key issue here. These cars are not real vehicles; they are half concept cars, half marketing tools, for both Gran Turismo and the brands who are a part of the VGT world. Are they meaningless in most single-player races and online lobbies thanks to oversized PP ratings and over-the-top perfomance? Yes, they are, I am not going to act in denial towards that. But they exist, for the better or the worst, and PD will not halt such a large project now simply because people have split opinions towards the cars themselves. They are, and should be advertised as, a side attraction to the main picture that is GT6 itself.

And yes, it does sound cliché at this point, but all this hatred towards VGTs is solely PD's fault. Imagine if you got a real-life, brand new production car alongside each VGT release. Yes, you would still have 18 or so "meaningless" VGT cars, but you would also have 18 or so brand new, real-life production cars which would probably suit the desires of many eager fans. Say for example that Ford brought out the new GT alongside their VGT car, at the time of the VGT's release... It wouldn't be so irrelevant now, would it? Fans would get the new GT to drive in the game, alongside an exclusive concept car which was custom-made for the game itself. Of course, this is not happening currently, and with the current drought in production car DLC for GT6, the VGTs have to take the full brunt of people's negative feelings towards said drought.

All this blind hate towards VGTs won't matter in the grand scheme of things. PD will not simply cut ties with the remaining manufacturers, unless the manufacturers themselves do such first (i.e. Alfa Romeo and Bertone). Do I admire the thought which goes in each VGT car? I do, but I will not dismiss the bigger problem. PD may or may not be busy with future GT installments, but they need to provide GT6 with a bigger influx of real-life production cars. So, in short, I'll take the VGT... but it should not come alone, but rather with a fellow non-concept, a car which exists in real-life and can be bought from a dealership.

Last edited:
It would be better if you could DENY download of the VGT program. Just opt out of it.

I'm in two minds about this... maybe even 3 minds. I tire of the cookie cutter VGTs like the infiniti, even the Nissan GTR and the Aston Martin ones are forgettable.

I tire of the silly ones like the Chapparall and even the Dodge SRT.

I tire of the talking heads who speak in the videos like as if they're designing the next McLaren F1 or something.

And yet there have been a few I like driving. And still I look forward to seeing the new Hyundai and Bugatti cars.

I know there's a chance its gonna be stupid and yet also a chance they could be ok.

And I also find people complaining about free content kind of silly. Dont like it? Dont fire up GT6. I suppose one could want to play GT6 WITHOUT VGT, I understand that but really, this is a game, not life and death.

I see the same type of person complain about GT5/6 B-Spec as if PD has killed your dog or something.

As far as deadly sins in computing gaming goes, stuff like VGT and B-Spec isnt that big a deal.

Turn 10 have done much graver sins in as far as spitting on their fanbase goes but I think its more PD's ineptness more than anything else.

They aren't made up out of thin air. SMS formula cars duplicate actual, existing, real world specs, performance and car attributes and abilities. They are identical to their track based counterpart, all they lack is the official licenses and liveries.

edited...
This whole project, the Vision GT project, was never meant to act as the main and sole vessel of new cars for Gran Turismo 6, in my honest opinion. However, it was PD's treatment of it which caused the project to do just that, and that is the key issue here. ... They are, and should be advertised as, a side attraction to the main picture that is GT6 itself.
This is the crux of the matter IMO. The VGT project is carrying the majority of the hype and DLC load for GT6 and it's just not relevant enough to the fanbase to be able to do so. It would have worked well as an hors d'oeuvres or a side dish, but not as the main entree. If it were accompanied by a regular distribution of real car DLC, I think it would have been seen in a much different light. The lack of new tracks is also a large shortcoming IMO, putting more and more load on the VGT program to carry the day.

Last edited:
There is room for both though. It's just a massive shame PD rarely ever adds real cars, which is most likely the reason so many people dislike the VGTs to the extent that they do. The rediculous imbalance is the sole problem here.

They've added 16 real cars so far, it's not that rare.
How many real cars did they add in GT5?

VGT is great if its:

- Quite Realistic (Example the Mazda lm55 and Alpine VGT might have a bit more realistic if it isnt have a full 4wd/Flappy side brakes. But that's only a minor thing and ignoring it it would be actually realistic. Cars like Nissan and Infiniti is okay. Meanwhile Tomahawk and Chapparal 2X is beyond unrealistic)

- Not a slight change to the base car (Example the BMW, Mitsubishi, Lexus, and Volkswagens second VGT is basically an existing car with a body kit and performance upgrades. Mercedes got the right track though even though it was heavily baswd on AMG GT). Not very imaginative in other words.

- Released as a side dish, not a full main menu for months.

- Performance should have been closer to reality. (Not a 500mph Route X killer so many kills it banned in most lobbies.)

I don't understand some people... EVERY major release of Gran Turismo has had some sort of concept car in it. Including GT1.

Which means everyone has had about 17-18 years to A: Get used to the idea, and B: Get over it

Cheers

Gran_turismo_concept_2001_pack.jpg

Kaz loves it. He loves the future, he loves new ideas as he loves old cars.
GT Vision is a damn cool project.

At the end, when the VGT itself sucks, its all manufacturers to blame.

It'd be far wiser to blame the loose guidelines of the VGT project than the manufacturers if you doing so. The idea of a concept is ambiguous enough as it is, much less with the general idea of a "Futuristic GT car" added to it. The manufacturers have the first and the last word on the cars' design, and PD only touches the technical portion (i.e. game implementation...

Concept cars will always be polarizing, and are unlikely to please all sorts of GT6 players. Moreso than production cars.

I stopped holding my breath for paid DLC cars in this game ages ago. VGT is like my favorite thing about this game however, it throws me all the way back ten years ago to when I saw all these cool concept cars in real life and video games, given the ability to drive them in my fantasy escape I indulged in it with gusto. Today this carries on as manufacturers take their own time and effort to make Concept cars for me, the player, to drive in my favorite game no less. I promised myself I'd see the entire thing through as long as I had a PS3.

But I guess no one likes the idea because it apparently kills off real cars.

I appreciate the fact the VGTs have variety from the possible to the unbelievable, and I bet Kaz had something to do with that. How boring would it be if he commissioned the manufacturers to all produce the most realistic car they could imagine? Or even the most outlandish?

Not praising the god of Kaz, but just saying.

Well with VGT cars a lot of data is delivered to PD. With real cars you need to take the crew to whatever location and scan the car and then create the 3D model yourself.

Big chunk of work is done by the car designers. Covering that 3D model is probably still a lot of work. I wonder how much actually.

Back