Cost of going to GT7

• Thread starter HB Jones
  • 82 comments
United States
Boise, Idaho
Some online friends and I were talking about going to GT7 and the related cost. With the cost of a new PS4 console, New wheel with a stand adapter (we use the wheel stand pro) Game, plus shipping etc., you could end up paying around $800.00 to $1,000.00 when it is all said and done.
None of us have deep enough pockets to justify that kind of expense.
How many of you guys/girls are going to spring for that upgrade?

Its an issue I'm deliberating with at the moment. I think that when GT7 finally comes out prices will have dropped, maybe not a huge amount, for a close to equivalent setup of what I have now (DFGT, PS3, GT6) I'm hoping that its going to be in the region of £500-£600 (Not sure what the conversion rate is??) anything less is going to be a bonus.

Considering that this includes a PS4 looking at the following combo of T150, PS4, GT7 I'm going to have to consider it value for money, I think that its beneficial to think that your purchasing a new console rather than thinking I'm buying all of this just to play on GT7?

And still after saying all of this I will probably buy it anyway, as I am going to want to play on GT7 !! :):):)

they get more expensive every time new things come out, thats why I wait a few years for it to be old and used.

they get more expensive every time new things come out, thats why I wait a few years for it to be old and used.
The price drops were minimal for the PS3, wheels and accessories. By the time we see any kind of price decrease, Gt8 will be out.

I stubbornly waited until Xmas 2012 for the price of a PS3 to drop below £150 which was shortly after the GT5 Academy Edition release, with the PS3 @£119.99 .. GT5-AE @£19.99 .. I was happy enough to pay this price for a console in it's sixth year so I could play the only game I ever had any interest in getting the console for.

I shall be just as rigid with the PS4/GT7 .. £200 is the bar for this gen. Until then I shall continue on with GT6 and PC gaming.

£200 is the bar for this gen.
7TqTgeT.jpg

There is this thing called inflation...

In 1992, The Super Nintendo was $299 Canadian when I got mine and cartridges were around $70-$80 each. Adjusted for today, That would be just over $450 for the console and about $100-$120 for the games.

...How much is a PS4 now? $399. The games are around $70-$80.

I've been saving up Gamestop giftcards through one of my online survey accounts to pay for GT7 and a PS4 since right after GT6 came out. As far as a wheel goes, I refuse to buy one and will continue to complain about it being a "5 second advantage" on GTPlanet until the end of time.

I already sunk $400 on a ps4 to try out Driveclub (oh that was a mistake). I'm not convinced about wheels as yet. I dont think we will see a cheap wheel like the DFGT?

I paid $160 for a 160Gb 2nd gen ps3 back in 2009 or 2010? for the GT5 release, they were getting rid of them all for the new George Foreman grill style super slim ps3 (which I think looks like a pile of crap).

IMO the $599 urban legend for the ps3 was vastly overpriced. But eh... $400 for a console with this ability is ok. I dont expect any price cuts. Why would they? The #1 console in the world (except UK and US). Why would Sony drop prices?

Normally the price of wheels goes up whenever a GT title is introduced so it's best to buy either a month or two before release or about six months after.

Playing driving games is night and day different with a wheel - if I had to use a hand controller I would have given up gaming years ago. The extra enjoyment doesn't come from extra speed, but extra immersion / realism.

Fortunately my wheel is compatible with the PS4, but I will have a very hard job justifying the purchase cost of a new console. If I had to buy a new wheel and console to play GT7 I would probably give up rather than spend that amount of cash - playing with a controller just isn't enjoyable enough.

You can get a T150 (seems decent), or wait for an offer on a T300, I got mine for 312 pounds, consoles are almost always bundeled and if you wait for black friday this year, not only will there probably be a price cut, but you'll get great offers as well.

I live in Egypt where prices are insane, but with careful planning I managed to get them both.

There are stores that allows you to divide the amount over a longer period of time. I could get away with €15 - €30 per month for console + game + wheel.

All of my PS3 games were around US $ 10-45. 45 bucks for new release like MGS V Phantom Pain Day 1 Edition ( Japanese Disc Print ), PS4 new release ( pre orders ) can be bought for about same price $ 45-50 tops. It depends on where you buy the game and which region :D The PS4 bundle with MGS V is about $ 420 :P

So, when GT7 comes, it should be about 45-50 bucks with less than 400 bucks for new PS4.

I bought GT6 Limited Edition with the Apex II book for about $ 40-45 back in release day.

People here talk like a wheel is required. It isn't. Obviously it's more immersive but it's not mandatory when buying GT7.
I think they talk like they've had a wheel for years and don't want to go back to a controller. I wouldn't either. If for some reason I couldn't afford a wheel, I wouldn't even buy racing games at this point.

For me, it will cost only 60 USD, and that for me is too much! The dolar is worthing R$ 3,81(Real, Brazillian money).

I allready bought the PS4 one mounth after it's release and a wheel for it after DriveClub. Only with the wheel, pedals and shifter i spent R$ 3,400(1.236USD), yeah... i was crazy at the time.
I play some PCars sometimes, but most of the time i play BF4 and The Last of Us, and now MGS.

I do agreed with Johnnypenso, after 7 years playing with my DFGT, and almost 1 with my T300, if i can't afford a wheel, i wouldn't buy any racing game at all.

Well since I run a Club I am going to have to spring for the new gear. Not sure how long though before enough members switch over to GT7 before I start hosting all the races there. We ran races on both GT5 and GT6 for a while until everyone got the game and some cars. If they kill the GT6 servers early like they did for GT5 then it makes the switch to GT7 easier. Switch, or quit racing.

The only real expense for me to consider is the wheel. With the way Logitech and Thrustmaster are screwing around, none of them have convinced me its worth the additional expense of upgrading Just to use a wheel on PS4. As long as no wheel compatibility for the G27 on PS4 is made AND the prices stay as outrageous as they are, I'm not going to be doing any league racing. I'm not above using a controller, but online isn't happening for me apart from seasonals.

PS4 + wheel only for GT7 is obviously expensive.

But add couple more racing games for PS4 (can wait for the games to be 40 or even 20$) and other genre of games. Then it does not sound like bad investment :) Also there might be G29 GT wheel which will comes with free copy of GT7 or T300 may be ?? GT7 PS4 bundle.

My DFGT is no working for sometime now and I think I will stick with controller for a while. Instead I am wondering I will have to look at a new HDTV in few years time :nervous:

My DFGT is still working. It had a PSU issue a while ago but that's sorted. Other than that it has been in regular use since I bought it back in GT5P days. It has had a new lease of life in Assetto Corsa and is performing better that ever at the moment which make it even more galling that it won't work on PS4. Especially as my PC is not good enough for more than time attacking and small races.

Having used a wheel for this period of time, I can't go back to a pad now. I would rather give up on race games instead.

Otherwise I have everything else I need for GT7. 1080P TV, PS4 and a nice fast Broadband service. Just no compatible wheel. :ouch:

If I do buy a new wheel, it would be for Assetto Corsa on PS4 though, GT7 will have to be a truly spectacular return to form for that to be the cause. Then it's a choice between the hardly upgraded G29 or the ever so reliable Thrustmaster. :banghead:

Last edited:
Hang in there everyone. We are still a long ways away from GT7. More options and better pricing will be coming before the release date. Hold out as long as you can for a better deal. The deals out there today will still be there if nothing else comes along.

Hang in there everyone. We are still a long ways away from GT7.

Or are we? :) A big announcement will be incoming eventually and I think it will surprise us in the sense that it will be an incredible trailer with a set release date of 3-4 months from this trailer date. I know they're tired of 'creating hype' ahead of time and then finding out they still have stuff to iron out as they approach their intial release date announcement. We/they know the whole internet will start creating a mess and start spewing stuff like 'PD is incompetent' if they repeat the old 'coming soon/delayed' mistake. Banking on Spring 2016 release myself. :D

Or are we? :) A big announcement will be incoming eventually and I think it will surprise us in the sense that it will be an incredible trailer with a set release date of 3-4 months from this trailer date. I know they're tired of 'creating hype' ahead of time and then finding out they still have stuff to iron out as they approach their intial release date announcement. We/they know the whole internet will start creating a mess and start spewing stuff like 'PD is incompetent' if they repeat the old 'coming soon/delayed' mistake. Banking on Spring 2016 release myself. :D

I hope so. Not expecting anything from TGS, but I think something, something, will arrive at Paris Games Week or at the PlayStation Experience. The most telling thing for me was the fact PDI announced that they were stepping seasonal events down to a less frequent schedule. Kaz also announced that the only scheduled update was the Course Maker, so no more surprises like customisable dials to put on the dashboard or paintable wings or extra tracks - in short, no more work is being done on GT6 than is absolutely necessary. This suggests to me they're in a sort of "all hands on deck" mode for GT7 development. I think Spring 2016 is a little optimistic, but I can see a late 2016 release happening (to get FM6 and Assetto Corsa out of the way and give GT7 its own time to shine), but I do think an announcement will come this year. I mean, I would be happy with nothing more than a GT7 logo and a "coming 2016" subtitle, as long as it was something official.

On the subject of cost, as long as the G25 is made compatible I will be happy, as the only outlay would be for the game itself. If not, I will be pretty angry, as the G29 is £300 plus extra for the gear stick. I mean, it's a good wheel in its own right, but its almost functionally identical to the G25, and I'm not dropping £300 on a G29 because some accountants thought it was a good idea stuff Logitech's pockets with extra cash. That's the only real reason it exists.

On the subject of cost, as long as the G25 is made compatible I will be happy, as the only outlay would be for the game itself. If not, I will be pretty angry, as the G29 is £300 plus extra for the gear stick. I mean, it's a good wheel in its own right, but its almost functionally identical to the G25, and I'm not dropping £300 on a G29 because some accountants thought it was a good idea stuff Logitech's pockets with extra cash. That's the only real reason it exists.
The G25/27 compatibility ship has sailed, better start saving your pennies.

Some online friends and I were talking about going to GT7 and the related cost. With the cost of a new PS4 console, New wheel with a stand adapter (we use the wheel stand pro) Game, plus shipping etc., you could end up paying around $800.00 to $1,000.00 when it is all said and done.
None of us have deep enough pockets to justify that kind of expense.
How many of you guys/girls are going to spring for that upgrade?
I used that money on a gaming PC, best choice i could make IMO especially with the wheel situation as it was before. I'm going to lose out on some fancy exclusives from now on, but apart from that i only see advantages in spending that amount of money on getting a PC instead of investing in a new console and all the restrictions and extra costs that come with it.

Back