2015 Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
The Japanese GP brought back the usual pace of the Mercedes cars where they finished 1-2 (albeit after a fightback from Rosberg). Ferrari were the only ones who came close to challenging them and at the Sochi Olympic Park this weekend, it looks to be the same story. Mercedes return to the scene where they won their first Constructors Championship and they will be looking to further increase their hold onto that trophy. Get ready for the Russian Grand Prix.

sochi-autodrom_100484724_m.jpg

2014 Result:
1st - Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes
2nd - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes
3rd - Valtteri Bottas - Williams

It's hard to see anything past a Mercedes win after last year, IIRC Rosberg hunted down and passed Bottas before pulling away rapidly even though Rosberg had gone pretty much the whole race through traffic on that set.

Yeah its very much a power track, Redbull really struggled here last year.

If Mercedes does have problems with its tyres then Williams and Ferrari will be there to capitalise and maybe Force India.

What's the length of the longest straight here compared to Singapore? And what are the top speeds of each track?

Based purely off looking at the track map, the two tracks seem really similar.

I'm surprised the Redbulls wouldn't go better here like they did in Singapore. Here's hoping Ferrari does well so we have something to watch *fingers crossed*

The main reason is the tighter corners are still quite fast, its only at the end of the lap that it slows down.

Hopefully the event organisers have done a little something to make each sector look distinct. I was having trouble telling many corners apart due to the boring, unpainted cement barriers lining the circuit last year. The race itself should at least be more entertaining this year, thanks to a less conservative tyre choice.

Hopefully they fixed the wall angles so this doesn't happen again:

One of the cars slammed into the barrier where it opens for a Marshal post.

Last edited:
Hopefully they fixed the wall angles so this doesn't happen again:

One of the cars slammed into the barrier where it opens for a Marshall post.

I would think the inside of the kink would be a better spot for the Marshal's post, instead of at the exit

Honda have spent their remaining four tokens on their ICE ahead of this weeks GP.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...-2015-tokens-on-engine-upgrade-for-russian-gp

Which also means that Alonso will start last (25 place grid penalty). They only had enough parts for 1 new unit, and Alonso got it because his current engine had done more miles. Team are targeting American GP for a decent result, which makes sense given Sochi is more about engine power and doesn't have as many KERS harvesting areas.

Which also means that Alonso will start last (25 place grid penalty). They only had enough parts for 1 new unit, and Alonso got it because his current engine had done more miles. Team are targeting American GP for a decent result, which makes sense given Sochi is more about engine power and doesn't have as many KERS harvesting areas.

Now the big question is... Is it still a GP2 engine? :P

Honestly, I was a little surprised to read they've spent all four tokens on the ICE, considering the ERS system has been the bottle neck of the PU since the last engine upgrade. Could indicate that there is a fundamental design flaw in one or both MGUs that can't be fixed within the token system.

Honestly, I was a little surprised to read they've spent all four tokens on the ICE, considering the ERS system has been the bottle neck of the PU since the last engine upgrade. Could indicate that there is a fundamental design flaw in one or both MGUs that can't be fixed within the token system.

You have it right, the fundamental ERS issues are known about and cannot be rectified until the winter break because of the token system. From what I understand, the issue is with the way in which Honda split the turbine and compressor components of the turbo system. Mercedes have these components either end of the unit with the shaft between them running in the V of the engine unit itself. Honda however have made the compressor small enough itself to sit within the engine V as well. Though basic, illustrations below should give a good idea of what I mean...

engine-comparison.png

EDIT: This is a great article on the Honda problems in their entirety.

http://www.somersf1.co.uk/2015/09/mclaren-hondas-woes-progression-and.html

Last edited:
The main reason is the tighter corners are still quite fast, its only at the end of the lap that it slows down.

Yup. I think Mercedes overheat their tyres as they accelerate, fast tracks where they can keep momentum suit them better... that's why I think Singapore killed them. Unless the billion-o-gnome did indeed switch their tyres for the lulz.

EDIT: This is a great article on the Honda problems in their entirety.

http://www.somersf1.co.uk/2015/09/mclaren-hondas-woes-progression-and.html

A great and informative read, thank you. :)
Hondas data gathering room was nothing short of overwhelming. Even NASA would be impressed by that. Just goes to show how valuable and important live data capture is in this sport.

Yup. I think Mercedes overheat their tyres as they accelerate, fast tracks where they can keep momentum suit them better... that's why I think Singapore killed them. Unless the billion-o-gnome did indeed switch their tyres for the lulz.

The Mercs also struggled with understeer, you can see Hamilton going wide and struggling to nail the apex.

I want this race to be a repeat of Singapore so baaaaaaadddddddddd. :drool: That or at least have the same coverage we got at Suzuka if the Merc's dominate again. At least the world feed was trying to make it interesting.

I want this race to be a repeat of Singapore so baaaaaaadddddddddd. :drool: That or at least have the same coverage we got at Suzuka if the Merc's dominate again. At least the world feed was trying to make it interesting.
I thought Singapore was just as boring as Suzuka.

A complete balls-up so far. Somebody's managed to spill "a significant amount of diesel" on the track, they're currently organising a scrubby truck having already had the brush-men out. I wouldn't like to be the first through that corner.

c6uSIemnQRWFw5FEbbjg_Spillage.jpg

EDIT: The Race Control Merc just went through fast and looked nailed-on. Not quite the same as (most) F1 cars, but looking good. Session finally about to start...

Last edited:
It's been a pants session so far, the track is officially Wet so a lot of drivers are running inters on a mostly dry track. Apart from Alonso rallying around on slicks there hasn't been much to see.

He's top of the time sheets at the moment with a 1.53.xxx, not that much of an achievement as with 30 mins to go he's the only driver to have set any time at all.

EDIT: Ericsson second (and last) so far with a 1.55.xxx on inters also on slicks.

Last edited:
Sochi has the most depressing and dullest scenery of the calender. The track looks like a failed attempt of a street circuit.

Back