Toyota S-FR Concept (a future Sport 1500 or even a Scion!?)

Philippines
Quezon City, Philippines & Las Vegas, NV
GTP_VanishingBoy
Vanishing Boy
-> This cute concept will debut at this years Tokyo Motor Show.

17591264882115426570.jpg

World Car Fans / Motor1.com
Adopts a front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout
Toyota has released images and details concerning a new concept for an S-FR entry-level sportscar which will premiere at the end of this month in Tokyo.

The main idea behind this concept is to show a lightweight, small sportscar aimed towards those who want a no-frills fun front-engined, rear-wheel drive vehicle. It's just 3990 mm long, 1695 mm wide and 1320 mm tall, with a 2480 mm wheelbase and a four-seater cabin. The simple and rounded design gives it a cute appearance while the yellow body is nicely contrasted by a black roof.

The interior is also quite basic and comes with a fully digital instrument cluster and just a few buttons for the climate control system along with USB ports, start/stop and a power socket mounted down low.

Also noticeable is the short gear knob for the six-speed manual transmission, but Toyota doesn't say what powers this concept. They do mention it provides smooth acceleration which corroborated with the optimal weight distribution and independent suspension turn the S-FR into an agile car offering a responsive drive.

According to the Japanese marque, the S-FR is envisioned for car owners that like to drive and customize their vehicles. If turned into a production car, such a vehicle would slot underneath the GT86, but Toyota hasn't said a word about the possibility of actually making it. That being said, there was a rumor earlier this year about a sub-GT86 model with a 130 bhp 1.5-liter engine and weighing just 980 kg (2,160 lbs). The report also said it will take design cues from the 1965 Toyota Sports 800 and the 86 Style Cb which does seem to be the case with this concept. If the rumor will turn out to be valid, expect a production version of this concept to go on sale sometime in 2018.

WCF

670141588113119978.jpg

12178630971419520019.jpg

14457096721041608113.jpg

1038788858930596475.jpg

My Opinion -> This car is a definitely production-ready unlike the Kia Stinger, which is very promising! But since Scion might unveil its version at the upcoming LA Auto Show (which I will be attending for sure), we have to wait and see!

:)

If it arrives with a 1.5L and 130hp, I think it'd be the best example yet of a company trying to take the fight directly to the Miata.

I'm not sold on the MINI face, and there's a lot of sheetmetal above those rear wheels, but otherwise, a good idea. Do it, Toyota, make something interesting.

Same here, I think the front end is too "retro" for its own good, but it's otherwise very appealing!

I wonder if the mystery engine is a variant of Subaru's EL15 or another iteration of the FA/4U, particularly with it evoking the S800.

Maybe the tie-up with Mazda for the 2 based Scion has seen them license the Skyactiv 1.5?

To me, it kinda looks like a miniature version of the Aston Martin V-12 Zagato. Only with a bigger grill and no spoiler.

If it arrives with a 1.5L and 130hp, I think it'd be the best example yet of a company trying to take the fight directly to the Miata.
The a pillar, And the long hood, May confirm the rumor about a Miata based Toyota/Scion.

The a pillar, And the long hood, May confirm the rumor about a Miata based Toyota/Scion.
I did wonder that, though too many things don't quite add up, at least comparing concept to the production Miata. The dimensions are quite different between the two, and the Toyota's 2+2 layout is something I'm not sure the Miata's basic platform would support. On previous generations at least, the fuel tank would be in the way. Not insurmountable, but it does lead me to think that if Toyota intends on using the Miata platform as is rumoured, it'd be significantly altered in a way the new Fiat 124 isn't.

Copen grows up.

A car like this is something that Toyota really needs to have in their lineup now.

I did wonder that, though too many things don't quite add up, at least comparing concept to the production Miata. The dimensions are quite different between the two, and the Toyota's 2+2 layout is something I'm not sure the Miata's basic platform would support. On previous generations at least, the fuel tank would be in the way. Not insurmountable, but it does lead me to think that if Toyota intends on using the Miata platform as is rumoured, it'd be significantly altered in a way the new Fiat 124 isn't.
Maybe the extra seats is where the top/rollbar is in the Miata?

Needs a little work on the front grille and around the back a little, but it certainly does look cute! Definite contender to an MX5 I think. I think the front and back are a little too big for the car though... almost like a baby head is always too big for its body xD

To me, it kinda looks like a miniature version of the Aston Martin V-12 Zagato. Only with a bigger grill and no spoiler.

It's does look like something Zagato would do with a Mini but the one thing is definitely doesn't look like is a Toyota.

It's ugly as sin, but I hope they put it it into production. The MX-5 needs proper competition for it's size and the GT86/FR-S/BRZ isn't going to cut it. Styling just needs to be toned down.

Maybe the extra seats is where the top/rollbar is in the Miata?
The interior images don't suggest so.

Not that such a thing would be very feasible anyway - the rear bulkhead on the Miata is fairly high up and fairly close to the seats, and if the ND is anything like the NA-NC, the fuel tank lies somewhere between it and the trunk. I just can't see there being a lot of room for seats without significant hacking up of the general layout - and probably, a lengthened wheelbase. Though this concept is a longer car than the ND (3990mm versus 3915mm), so it's feasible.

All that said, I imagine the seats in this concept are no more seats than the scooped-out shells you'll find in a GT86.

So, they're reviving Supra and Corolla, so why not P800? Not keen on the Pikachu-front end.. And the rear end could use more character too.

I'm digging this one. Nice lines outside and inside 👍

I wonder... Is this the lightweight Small car platform jointly developed with BMW... Mini super leggera etc..
Might be onto something there. I'd forgotten that Mini concept existed. Now that really is a good-looking car.

I wonder... Is this the lightweight Small car platform jointly developed with BMW... Mini super leggera etc..

Someone put the Superleggera up in the comments at Jalopnik and the similarity is there.

Reminds me of the Terrazi Wildgang from Ridge Racer

Rrs_wildgang_f.png

latest

Also, in before people start to suggest chucking a 2JZ innit.

TRD version if it lives then I'm suspecting a 2.0l NA engine or maybe the supposed 1.5l Supercharged lump.

My thoughts: I like it , there needs to be more fun and affordable cars to have in this world. Could it be that the Japanese are reverting back to the 90s/80s when interesting cars came out? Possibly.

Also, it's gonna be in GT7, trust.

I like it! the front's a bit ugly though.

I'm not sold on the MINI face, and there's a lot of sheetmetal above those rear wheels, but otherwise, a good idea. Do it, Toyota, make something interesting.
what about the Solstice/Sky? those were good contenders to the Miata. DK even liked them.

Back