Audi/Italdesign/Lamborghini VGT after VW scandal

• Thread starter P_Floyd
  • 36 comments
Italy
Italy
As you know, Volkswagen "Diselgate" scandal has had a huge impact on the Wolfsburg car manifacturer.
Matthias Müller recently said that it will be a painful resurection and all the unnecessary will be delayed or aborted. So I was wondering: will Audi, Italdesign and Lamborghini VGT be abandoned due to this reduction in funding?
Sincerely, I don't want to see another time what has happened to Bertone and Alfa Romeo VGT, their have been enough!

I feel this vision project is more about PR than anything else. When companies are struggling with a crisis, good PR helps distract people. A few months from now this will all be behind us. Nobody talks about GM's ignition switches or Toyota's fuel pedals anymore

I'm thinking that Audi may be affected if they chose a diesel powerplant, but I find the likelihood of any of them being effected very minute.

Interesting thought.

But regardless of whether the VGT designs are finished or not, I'm not sure there would be too much implication between an emissions software issue and the respective concept design departments.

I feel this vision project is more about PR than anything else. When companies are struggling with a crisis, good PR helps distract people. A few months from now this will all be behind us. Nobody talks about GM's ignition switches or Toyota's fuel pedals anymore
Courtesy of the GT6 VGT programme?
I think you're drawing a long bow there.

It's certainly brand exposure.
But I'm not sure it could be used to regain reputation lost due to design/manufacturing errors.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the VAG VGT cars were cancelled if VW cuts it's vanity projects.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the VAG VGT cars were cancelled if VW cuts it's vanity projects.

It's not going to save them much money though surely?, it must be relatively cheap and easy PR for them. As the recent report suggested, VW's spending change needs to be systemic, simply cancelling a couple of small projects here and there isn't going to re-generate the Billions lost though diesel gate, and unlike some of the more expensive vanity projects (such as motorsport perhaps), I can't see too many of the companies employees and shareholders begrudging the small expense of a small design team penning a virtual car. I mean... it's not like they spend much time coming up with re-designs for existing cars :lol:

I don't want to seem rude, but maybe some of you have missed the Point: I wasn't thinking about emission problem but Financial restriction! If Volkswagen decide to reduce all the less important projects (and i don't think VGT is their first thought) could it be the end for Audi/Italdesign/Lamborghini cars? Or will vw save it for image porpuse? Or are they already completed?

I think I'm on the same page as you.

And bearing in mind that these global companies are split into many varying country divisions, unless you anticipate that the entire conglomerate is going belly up with mass employee sackings left, right, and centre, I still doubt the concept (or if you like, R&D) departments would be that affected to put any major halt on current projects.

I think I'm on the same page as you.

And bearing in mind that these global companies are split into many varying country divisions, unless you anticipate that the entire conglomerate is going belly up with mass employee sackings left, right, and centre, I still doubt the concept (or if you like R & D) departments would be that effected to put any major halt on current projects.

VW "Spend" way more than anybody else on "R & D", it's in the order of their Dieselgate expense.. of course, the real question is whether this a legitimate expense or is just done to make the books of their subsidiary companies look better. They won't go belly up, but headlines such as "Porsche/Audi spend 300 Million to win Le Mans" will grate far more than "Design students design car for video game".

Honestly, I can't see Audi or Lamborghini abandoning theirs. Audi is big enough that they wouldn't really be affected all that much and likewise, Lamborghini wouldn't be affected either. Maybe it'll likely affect their ability to make a full size working version (since we've already seen VW and Bugatti do it with their VGT cars), but that's it.

Last edited:
Well with regards to the VGT project, there are 2 main questions.

Are they finished, are they half-way through, or have they not started?

And, if they haven't started, which concept department is assigned to the project, and does this emissions saga have any relevance to their budget/project?

My tendency is to suggest that their project is either finished, or very close to, or that either way that the current issue will have almost no effect, let alone stop the project mid-stride.

Or Ford Explorers rolling over and crashing, because of blowouts caused by Firestone's tires.

I certainly hope it doesn't affect VGT plans. It's more a diesel thing anyway. Many VGT cars are hybrids and so feel a liTtle associated with the scandal.

I certainly hope it doesn't affect VGT plans. It's more a diesel thing anyway. Many VGT cars are hybrids and so feel a liTtle associated with the scandal.
Except the scandal doesn't have to do with hybrids. It has to do with Volkswagen cheating emissions testing on diesel engines. And so far, none of the Vision GT cars have had diesel engines.

Now if they had a sense of humor they would use a diesel power plant and in the options menu have the ability to defeat the emissions controls for added power. You could switch on and off whith the NOS button.
You win the internet.jpg

Bugatti is part of Volksvagen. What will happen to the Bugatti VGT?

What exactly does it have to do with all this? It literally was revealed right before the scandal.

Back