P1 vs LaFerrari vs 918 Timed Around Silverstone

• Thread starter Harry6784
  • 97 comments
Can anyone put the results in a spoiler tag? having internet issues.

Also I'll mention it again but the Mclaren is much less desirable.

That is so close that you might as well call them equal.
If you ignore track conditions yeah.

The McLaren clearly had the deck stacked against it while the Porsche had the best conditions but it still was faster.

How is the LaF a 9 second car on Motortrend (9.7 seconds @ 149 mph), yet an 11 second car in this video?

Wow some of those runs had the LaFerrari in the mid 12s. That's shamefully poor drag racing. A stock C7 stingray will run better than that.

Ferrari cheated the first time? Conditions? Driver error?

I think it's a matter of drivers with zero experience on a prepped drag surface. You can see that the LaFerrari's traction control was on the entire time, and no burnouts/heating the tires either. That car has the right specs to run 150mph in the quarter.

I think it's a matter of drivers with zero experience on a prepped drag surface. You can see that the LaFerrari's traction control was on the entire time, and no burnouts/heating the tires either. That car has the right specs to run 150mph in the quarter.

This is exactly what I thought. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the shifts from the LaFerrari seem to be incredibly slow for what is a dual-clutch transmission...

Reading through the comments, they timed from when the cars actually started moving.

In my experience, the 1-foot rollout alll the major US mags apply, as well as the SAE corrections guys like Motortrend and Car&Driver use, skew the times quite a bit.

Add to that the lack of any obvious burn-outs to warm up the tires, and you've got your difference right there. Or some of it. The rest could be in car prep, the state of charge of the system, and the effects of ambient conditions on the electrics... etcetera... possibly still damp track (being blow-dried in the video)...

All you can say is that the times they got in those conditions are probably the times they flashed (though they never showed the actual runs)... and are only useful in comparison to each other.

Suspiciously close times... there's some chat on the interweb that it's not all cosher.

Chris Harris has a 'coming soon' video on his YT channel for the same 3 car test... that should be a good one :)

Edit;

I think the CH test has full manufacturer support. So Porsche will drop their well used demonstrator off and ask for a quick 'phone call when it's ready to be picked up. McLaren will send a truck, a 10 man support team and 10 sets of tyres. Ferrari will do a week of testing at the venue, before turning up with 2 trucks, a 50 man support team, 100 sets of tyres and a LaF with a secret 2nd engine fitted to it ;)

Last edited:
Back