Hyundai to finally launch Genesis as standalone brand

• Thread starter Anthony
  • 128 comments
Canada
Montréal, QC
Combat_Penguin22
The official announcement was made Tuesday night.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/hyundai-set-to-launch-genesis-global-luxury-brand-1.2642162

Some quotes from Automotive News:

The new subbrand will be made up of just two models initially: the current Genesis sedan and an all-new full-size Equus set to debut next spring. Those models will be renamed the G80 and G90, respectively, for the 2017 model year.

A third sedan called the G70 follows a year later, and by 2021 Genesis will have a total of six dedicated, rear-wheel-drive models including a midsize crossover and an SUV.

For the time being, Genesis branded cars will continue being sold at Hyundai dealerships, although they will have their own separate section on the showroom floor.

The official announcement was made Tuesday night.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/hyundai-set-to-launch-genesis-global-luxury-brand-1.2642162

Some quotes from Automotive News:

For the time being, Genesis branded cars will continue being sold at Hyundai dealerships, although they will have their own separate section on the showroom floor.
Isn't there already a G70? From Infiniti? And a G7 from Pontiac?

Also [letter]+[number]=[stupid].

Regardless, I'm guessing the Genesis coupe is losing its affordable status and such my business and support.

+edit
Ah, Infiniti G35/37, the 70 came with a Q.

Last edited:

Regardless, I'm guessing the Genesis coupe is losing its affordable status and such my business and support.

+edit

Think it all started in 1948 with the PU-36.

+edit
It starts at $26,750 which is what the R-Spec trim originally started out at (as the cheapest 3.8 option). The R-Spec is now $29,500. That's under a $3,000 chance in price for the current generation, so the car has hardly lost any of its affordable status. The only reason it possibly looks more expensive because the 4-cylinder has been dropped in favor of the 3.8 being the entry model whilst Hyundai supposedly develops a V8.

It starts at $26,750 which is what the R-Spec trim originally started out at (as the cheapest 3.8 option). The R-Spec is now $29,500. That's under a $3,000 chance in price for the current generation, so the car has hardly lost any of its affordable status. The only reason it possibly looks more expensive because the 4-cylinder has been dropped in favor of the 3.8 being the entry model whilst Hyundai supposedly develops a V8.
I mean future versions. I just bought the '15 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Premium for around $34k. Since it's supposed to be a luxury brand I doubt it will stay the same price. AWD, 3.3L TT V6, etc.

I'm honestly confused with wth they're trying to do. The old news was the return of the 2.0L, "N" spec with AWD and the 3.3L, etc.

And now they're just going to be their own sub-brand? If the minimum price stays the same I will mostly still be on board, but with all this crazy luxury ****, the crazy/expensive looking concept...

I dunno, I like the Gen coupe for what it is. Cheap, powerful and capable of carrying four adults reasonably comfortably or 2 adults and 3 children with a decent trunk (compared to the Camaro for example).

If it goes the way of the concept and all this crazy stuff...

I mean future versions. I just bought the '15 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Premium for around $34k. Since it's supposed to be a luxury brand I doubt it will stay the same price. AWD, 3.3L TT V6, etc.

I'm honestly confused with wth they're trying to do. The old news was the return of the 2.0L, "N" spec with AWD and the 3.3L, etc.
It will stay around the same price bracket if the V8 model intends to remain a Mustang competitor. A luxury brand can still remain affordable with a $30,000 coupe as its entry car.

Finally? for sure, For years and years Hyundai have been strategically planning a Luxury Brand Release, They had to first of course test the waters with several "Experimental" vehicles, aka the Genesis (5 series fighter) and Equus (7 series fighter) Right now the luxury market segment is running full speed and the time is right to launch the Genesis brand as a established Luxury division, And Hyundai has already proved it has what it takes with the success of the Genesis and Equus even under the Hyundai name.

Teaser of the flagship G90

2015-GenesisG90-01.jpg

2015-GenesisG90-02.jpg

+edit

Audi has that naming convention,
INfiniti switched to it (ex Audi boss).
And now Genenis is following this stupid naming convention...

Only BM and MB got it right..

First digit = model line / series / class
last digits = engine

But of course, even these nomenclature dont even make sense any more because they are not truly representative....

The product departments have no logic or sense..

last digits = engine

But of course, even these nomenclature dont even make sense any more because they are not truly representative....

Even MB and BMW get their digits wrong.
If anything, Lexus has kept their digits accurate, excluding the hybrid models.

last digits = engine

And Lexus, allthough they get a bit funny when it comes to Hybrids.

So it EQ instead of G? Looks nice, but for most people I talk to, wood equals old people.

And thats a lot of wood.

So it EQ instead of G? Looks nice, but for most people I talk to, wood equals old people.

And thats a lot of wood.

It will be the EQ900 in Korea and the G90 everywhere else.

And there will probably be a LOT of interior options available for those who aren't crazy about the wood. Although the dark brown grain they use in the current Genesis sedan looks quite upscale and modern IMO.

I see quite a bit of the top level sedans in that one car. Audi, BMW, Jag, Lexus and bits that many others take on. I mean with in various standards/regs sure there isn't much else you could do with this type of car, but to look like a collection of your competitors in one shot...

It's nice and a great thing that a company that no one gave even half a thought to a decade ago is now fighting it out with the bigger companies. Problem is the flagship to me doesn't seem like anything to write home about. I look more forward to those that sit below it instead.

I see quite a bit of the top level sedans in that one car. Audi, BMW, Jag, Lexus and bits that many others take on. I mean with in various standards/regs sure there isn't much else you could do with this type of car, but to look like a collection of your competitors in one shot...

It's nice and a great thing that a company that no one gave even half a thought to a decade ago is now fighting it out with the bigger companies. Problem is the flagship to me doesn't seem like anything to write home about. I look more forward to those that sit below it instead.
I don't care for anything but the Genesis Coupe... Waiting for me on that.

It needs a redesign badly, I'm tired of staring at that comical quarter windows design and fake hood scoops from my office window.
Heyyyyy, I like the way my car looks.

Was surprised and disappointed when I learned they were fake.

Not really big news imho....

Nissan has Infinity, Toyota has Lexus, Mercedes has (sort of) AMG, and so on. Seems to me like it'll stay Hyundai, just in the same construction those other manufacturers use.

Not really big news imho....

Nissan has Infinity, Toyota has Lexus, Mercedes has (sort of) AMG, and so on. Seems to me like it'll stay Hyundai, just in the same construction those other manufacturers use.
I think it's big news. To me, at least. Initially I didn't expect Hyundai to pull this off.

Back