2017 Honda Ridgeline

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 66 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
I thought there was a thread for this already but can't seem to find it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/17/honda-ridgeline-spy-shots/

hondaridgeline-ldr04-kgp-ed-1.jpg

Edit: Embeded images seem to be having issues again.

Last edited:
Based on the race truck, are we to assume that the Ridgeline will be more truck and less SUV? Like, a real pickup? Is this a part of the segment that Honda wants to get into with so much attention on the competition right now?

Looks that way based on those spy photos. Independent rear suspension and it still seems to have that trunk under the bed floor still.

I'm still unsure how I feel about that or how capable it really is at doing truck things like hauling a heavy load in the bed. But I guess a truck like this would be more suited to those who think they need a truck but don't want the harsh ride a body on frame vehicle provides.

I'm still unsure how I feel about that or how capable it really is at doing truck things like hauling a heavy load in the bed. But I guess a truck like this would be more suited to those who think they need a truck but don't want the harsh ride a body on frame vehicle provides.

Its for people who have jet skis to tow. That's about it.

Max weight in the bed of the recent one is 1100 lbs. The one advantage it has over the other small pickups is the width of the bed is 49" so it can handle a sheet of plywood or drywall flat.

It is what it is and doesn't pretend to have full-size ability so it works as a daily driver/weekend runs to Home Depot to get bags of mulch and potting soil truck. The new version will probably use the Pilot's drive train which is 3.5L V6 280 Hp and a 9 speed which is rated at 19/26/22 combined with AWD which would put it ahead GM duo and the Taco.

As a construction laborer, the Ridgeline is intriguing to me. I do a lot of driving to various jobsites and would like a truck with reasonable load carrying ability. If Honda can get decent fuel mileage [20 combined minimum] then Id certainly consider it, especially if they keep the folding rear seat.

I cant really afford any new truck, though, so it doesnt matter. But I was disappointed to learn that the previous Ridgeline's economy was identical to the larger and more powerful Avalanche.

If they can eke out competitive fuel mileage then they might attract more customers like me who need light load handling and good economy for work, but want something thats reasonable to live with as well.

The folding flat seat would be huge since the Avalanche is dead now. Being able to seat four or carry extended cargo would be extremely handy, since the alternative is a quad cab 1/2 ton with a long bed.

My needs are this:
-Seats four comfortably for camping trips
-Can tow a jet-ski (@YSSMAN called it)
-Can haul wood and maybe a few bags of concrete plus tools
-Gets reasonable mileage for the 60+ miles I wind up driving sometimes in a day.

The locking trunk in bed is a bonus for securing expensive tools and camping gear, and the light load capability is almost a bonus since I can opt out when people ask if I can haul lots of stuff.

I actually liked the Ridgeline when it first came out. Maybe it was off-beat and not like proper pickup trucks, but I actually thought it was a better truck than what most people thought of it when the first Ridgeline came out. This new Ridgeline seems to take on the more edgy style of recent Hondas. I probably would be happy with its design if it took on design cues like a pickup version of the previous (not the current) Pilot. I LOVE that Baja race truck version of the Pilot (Post #2)!

The fact that it seems to be an honest-to-god pickup is strangely exciting to me. I do wonder if the bed is sealed or left open, as they could probably stand to grab a few sales from GM after the Avalanche's untimely demise.

The fact that it seems to be an honest-to-god pickup is strangely exciting to me. I do wonder if the bed is sealed or left open, as they could probably stand to grab a few sales from GM after the Avalanche's untimely demise.

Many answers can be found over at the Ridgline owners club forum. The admin knows a few people at Honda.

Its a completely redesigned and improved AWD system over the old one, lighter and yet stronger with higher torque capabilities, also has torque vectoring. Should be the same ivtm-4 system as the new Pilot.

It's a Honda. Their buyers will eat it right up, and I will see tons of them during the winter time when the snow birds come down to play. :P

Stuck because the buyers didn't opt for AWD because they wanted dat mpgeeee

It looks OK. :indiff:

The lower grill makes it look ugly and odd. They should have gave it a Pilot front bumper, it would have looked better and had a sportier look like the Colorado.

ridgeline pilot 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back