Toyota Discontinuing Scion Brand

• Thread starter JR98
  • 102 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
I was LITERALLY going to post a thread right now. Good thing I searched.
---
Anyways... Scion - Toyota's side brand that existed for...uh...nothing I guess. I'm not extremely saddened or anything by hearing this news but I was quite surprised since they recently released the new iA and the iM. I guess Toyota learned their lesson.

So, US getting the GT86 now?
Might be.
They say that all Scion cars will be rebadged as Toyotas.

tC could become a Zelas, although it to me is the most likely to be completely dropped (Zelas is the non-Scion name).
xB could become a Corolla hatch?
FR-S = GT86
iA could become the Yaris sedan, which was discontinued in 2013.
iM could become the Auris, or maybe bring back the Matrix name.

Might be.
They say that all Scion cars will be rebadged as Toyotas.

tC could become a Zelas, although it to me is the most likely to be completely dropped (Zelas is the non-Scion name).
xB could become a Corolla hatch?
FR-S = GT86
iM could become the Auris, or maybe bring back the Matrix name.
xB has been discontinued for some time.

I just realized this is what happened up here, probably in preparation for this move. The Yaris hatch is still Toyota's baby, but the sedan is now the Mazda2-based car.

Sadly, it seems Mazda re-negged on bringing the hatch here after showing it at the Autoshow in 2015, so the only way to get it is with a trunk and the whalefish bumper.

:(

Can't say I'm surprised by the news. It was a failed experiment, since there was no discernible difference between Scion and Toyota, unlike Lexus.

I just realized this is what happened up here, probably in preparation for this move. The Yaris hatch is still Toyota's baby, but the sedan is now the Mazda2-based car.

Sadly, it seems Mazda re-negged on bringing the hatch here after showing it at the Autoshow in 2015, so the only way to get it is with a trunk and the whalefish bumper.

:(

Can't say I'm surprised by the news. It was a failed experiment, since there was no discernible difference between Scion and Toyota, unlike Lexus.
Isn't the CX-3 sold in Canada? They might have been concerned that there could be model creep.

b667ed9d03ac0f8bb7b9fa0c0b5e64d6.jpg

Not surprised and never liked Scion much as a brand or concept. Always felt like that ridiculous pure pricing crap was a scam to keep haggling out of the buying process (and in turn always sell for MSRP and no less).

I say good riddance as long as they keep the FRS around... Maybe now America will get a GT86? That would be cool. 👍 (just in name alone lol)

If only they would revive the Celica! With a curb weight undercutting the Toyobaru, a competent chassis like the T230, and a revvy NA 4-cylinder.

A front-wheel driven GT86 is what you're basically saying. Why would any car enthusiast have that over a rear-wheel driven version?

With the upcoming S-FR, Toyota makes literally anything in any range. I don't see the point in an MR-S or Celica revival.

About...damn...time. This brand just never really appealed all that much to me and it really got useless when Toyota started trying to use its own cars to appeal to younger buyers. I'm glad now that the US finally will have GT86 without a stupid name.

I did't get Scion, what's wrong with branding them Toyota's. Is it not 'down with the kids' enough in the states?

I did't get Scion, what's wrong with branding them Toyota's. Is it not 'down with the kids' enough in the states?

Scion was supposed to be Toyota's "youth brand" here. It kind of missed it's mark though.

As soon as Toyota went full Saturn with it last year, it was doomed. Or, rather, even more clearly doomed then it was in 2007.

I think it might have had a niche during Toyota's beigest period, but as a brand they're finding their mojo again and there's probably more room for 'fun' and 'youthfulness' under the Toyota label than there would be with Scion, which went pretty mainstream after the first xB.

A front-wheel driven GT86 is what you're basically saying. Why would any car enthusiast have that over a rear-wheel driven version?

With the upcoming S-FR, Toyota makes literally anything in any range. I don't see the point in an MR-S or Celica revival.
The tC was one of Scion's better-selling models despite being an underwhelming replacement for the Celica. They're sport compacts, not a sports coupé like the GT86. I only mentioned the Toyobaru because the last Celica was ~2650lbs. and the tC packed on a few hundred more -- just wishing out loud for another lightweight.

I'm more of a RWD fanboy than most, but what else does Toyota have for a sporty FWD/AWD car? Depending on where you are in the world, it's been more than 15 or 20 years since the GT-Four/All-Trac, and AWD seems to be in style more than ever before. Hell, they could make a hybrid with motors on the rear wheels. It could boost turn-in by powering the outside wheel.

Well the xB, or as I always knew it, the pre-riced blue ricer with the jukebox in the back from 'Cars', was dead anyway, so there really isn't anything in the Scion lineup that really needs the Scion brand over simply being another Toyota.

I personally hope they won't rename the FRS in the US market, because I don't think that GT86 was ever a good name for it.

You mean you don't see the point in a mid-engined sports car for the masses? You must not have ever experienced one.

Back