QM: no penalty when not using brakes?

• Thread starter MasterGT
  • 18 comments
Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MastrGT
I saved three replays of recent Quick Matches that each showes two drivers who are not using brakes getting no penalty when the race goes green. As you know, QMs require us to use brakes; at least that is the warning we are given.

One of these cars showed the brake light on before the Start when there was no red in the brake graph. These two drivers are WOT when the race starts, but they do NOT get a penalty. Since these cars are set-up by the game, then I am presuming that whatever is going on is at the player's end.

One player uses a DF:GT.

Any idea of what is going on?

I had to set up a button for the e-brake, but it worked in the same way. Thanks. I can't explain why it wouldn't illuminate the brake light.

Curious why anyone would use the handbrake over the foot brake?

Wouldn't you want the person behind you know you've actually got hold of the controller and ready for the race?

It's more instant than moving my brake foot. Even more so for the people that don't use their left foot to brake.

That is relative. If the driver knows what he is doing and starts near the front, all else being equal, then it may get him a car length ahead going into turn one. On the other hand, it could start the 1st-turn chaos all that much sooner, in the wrong hands.

Yeah, hold down the e-brake.

I've seen this "e-brake" thing mentioned before but not sure where it is. Talking about on the hand controller.
I know the regular brake is the button with the square on it. Which button is the "E-brake" or handbrake?
Feeling too lazy to check.

Mine is the circle button but I can't remember if it was set already or I changed it through controller options.

I only use it for the cone challenges in career mode and doing 360/720 spins down the straights when I'm bored.:D

Mine is the circle button but I can't remember if it was set already or I changed it through controller options.

I only use it for the cone challenges in career mode and doing 360/720 spins down the straights when I'm bored.:D

I actually ended up doing a search while I was waiting. There's no default button for the E-brake. The user has to choose whichever button he/she feels best convenient so you would have set up yourself via controller options earlier on. I was thinking myself the "O" button is the one I might choose, then I got to thinking maybe the Left stick might be better, more convenient. Haven't decided yet but at least I'm more aware now.

I must have set it for the cone challenge a couple of years ago. Handy option to have when you need to do a quick 180 anyway.

That is relative. If the driver knows what he is doing and starts near the front, all else being equal, then it may get him a car length ahead going into turn one. On the other hand, it could start the 1st-turn chaos all that much sooner, in the wrong hands.
I use the e-brake method of starting for the same reasons as coryclifford and have since I got my wheel back in 2011. It is a very consistant method that often gains you places at the start and lets face it, who do you want to be, the car leading or the car chasing. I'll take leading any day, and maybe with this method those people who cause the first turn chaos might be able to get there car off the line in the first place:lol:

Personally I'll take chasing. Most times when I lead someone rams me off course, giving me a 5+ second collision penalty. If I'm chasing, I can just wait for them to crash, like they always do.
Each to their own, but don't you just get hit by third then?:boggled:
Also, there are many quality racers even in QM that just don't crash. If you can't get the jump at the start on someone just slightly slower than you on a track like Bathurst, you end up stuck behind them right across the top of the mountain at the mercy of the chasing pack. As an added bonus, if the person in front has a crash, up to 15sec. penalties await you if the ''wall claws" get them.
There's also the blocker's and brake checkers, if you want to follow them I say good luck to you:tup:, but I will take hitting the lead of the line, nailing the first turn and driving away from the pack any day. Of course without a good start position this is all out the window.:lol:

Curious why anyone would use the handbrake over the foot brake?

Wouldn't you want the person behind you know you've actually got hold of the controller and ready for the race?

Because when u use the ebrake instead of the foot brake while holding the gas it acts like u r popping the clutch in a car and u get a better launch

Surely the foot brake works exactly the same? Both options stop the rear wheels turning until you let the brakes off.

I'll be sure to test the hand brake out later though. Just in case.

Surely the foot brake works exactly the same?
Correct (as far as I know), the only time the foot brake and e-brake work differently when starting is when you do a standing start part way through a lap (like on a back straight). The e-brake method is of no use to DS3 users (button mapping might change this), and only gives a very slight advantage to some wheel users. It is more an ease-of-use thing (for me being a wheel user, e-brake method is definitely easier and therefore quicker).

Last edited:
Back