Will we need PS Plus

United States
United States
SwaggerTagger556
I hope I don't have to buy PS Plus for competing in one of the two championships. I'm fine with missing out on the casual multiplayer racing if there will be any. Last time I subscribed to PS Plus for a month, they charged me 3 more months before I called them and told them to stop for the 5th time.

I'm pretty certain that you will need to have PS Plus to connect to online as with anything else. It's just a guess, but you probably won't see yourself among leaderboards of any kind without it.

Hold on guys, it could work like Driveclub, which did have some limited online functionality without PS+. You couldn't play online against other people, but your times on the leaderboards were still valid, and you could still have a club. The Crew is another game that allows a small amount of online play without PS+.

I do think it's still likely there will be no online access without PS+, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Hold on guys, it could work like Driveclub, which did have some limited online functionality without PS+. You couldn't play online against other people, but your times on the leaderboards were still valid, and you could still have a club. The Crew is another game that allows a small amount of online play without PS+.

I do think it's still likely there will be no online access without PS+, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.
That's how it is. If you want to play in an online multiplayer environment with people, you need PS+, unless it's a free to play game. Betas are not exempt from PS+ requirements either.

That's how it is. If you want to play in an online multiplayer environment with people, you need PS+, unless it's a free to play game. Betas are not exempt from PS+ requirements either.

I do know how it works, as I have a PS4 and have had PS+ for a bit now. However, before I had PS+, I could still play some games with limited online functionality. In Driveclub for example, I could still make a club, get other people in my club, compete in time trials, and have my times appear on the leaderboards, when I didn't have a PS+ subscription. In The Crew, I could join online free roam sessions without PS+. I couldn't join races with other people in either game, but I still had some limited online functionality.

All I said was I wouldn't rule out GTS having a small amount of online function without PS+. You definitely won't be able to race against others online without it, but you may be able to have your time trial times appear on leaderboards. Like I said, DC allowed it, and that was a PS4 exclusive.

I do know how it works, as I have a PS4 and have had PS+ for a bit now. However, before I had PS+, I could still play some games with limited online functionality. In Driveclub for example, I could still make a club, get other people in my club, compete in time trials, and have my times appear on the leaderboards, when I didn't have a PS+ subscription. In The Crew, I could join online free roam sessions without PS+. I couldn't join races with other people in either game, but I still had some limited online functionality.

All I said was I wouldn't rule out GTS having a small amount of online function without PS+. You definitely won't be able to race against others online without it, but you may be able to have your time trial times appear on leaderboards. Like I said, DC allowed it, and that was a PS4 exclusive.
None of what you just explained is online multiplayer, which is what PS+ is required for.

I'm pretty certain that you will need to have PS Plus to connect to online as with anything else. It's just a guess, but you probably won't see yourself among leaderboards of any kind without it.

On PS4 you have to pay to go online, regardless of which game.

Not true. You can access leader boards in ProCars and set times without PSN+ You only need PSN+ to race online.

Likewise in Destiny, you need PSN+ to team up for strikes and PvP. You do not need it for patrolling which has other players in your instance with you.

None of what you just explained is online multiplayer, which is what PS+ is required for.

Who said that's how these online championships are going to work? they very well could consist of time trials like GT academy, or that could be a part of them. In no part of my posts did I claim you'd be able to play online multiplayer without PS+, I simply said don't rule out being able to compete in GTS without it.

image.jpg
Asked them a while back about the requirements of PS+ and this was their response.

The worst move $ony has ever made imho was to make multplayer a part of PS Plus for PS4. I've not bought it so far & don't think I ever will. The way it worked on PS3 was better, with PS Plus giving you loads of extras & freebies (none of which I was ever interested in). Now I can't play online, which was my main thing, unless I pay out yet more money.

👎

I really don't understand the issue with paying to go online. The purchase of a game or console are one off contributions that a business can easily cost but running servers is an ongoing cost and the higher the quality of the server for gaming the higher the cost, paying a sub for online play makes a lot of sense. IMO it even makes more sense for certain games to be charged as a sub, the fact that iRacing is currently the best racing sim out there is a direct result of the subscription + pay for content model. The sub pays for ongoing updates to the sim and for official race server, the price of content pays for the creation of that content and if you want hosted servers outside of official online racing you pay a small fee for the creation of those servers. People complain about that model all the time but it is the most logical way to price that kind of game and the main reason why iRacing is as good as it is right now and why it will always lead the pack.

I know this is a unpopular view due to the history of first sharing games and expecting them for free and the history of a one off purchase for a game that people think they own but until we move forward with our views and attitudes to this we are all holding development and the quality of games back. It is the way the smart development world is going, all the big players like Adobe, Microsoft charge subs now and even when we don't pay a sub we still give the developer money on an ongoing basis with game series and in some cases we pay more like this. The whole gaming world needs to get on this sub model IMO that way when we like what developers are doing we can support them to keep making their game the best it can be and if we ever feel they are going in the wrong decision and someone else is doing a better job we just cancel our sub and switch to a developer we feel is doing a better job.

VBR
The worst move $ony has ever made imho was to make multplayer a part of PS Plus for PS4. I've not bought it so far & don't think I ever will. The way it worked on PS3 was better, with PS Plus giving you loads of extras & freebies (none of which I was ever interested in). Now I can't play online, which was my main thing, unless I pay out yet more money.

👎
The free stuff has been horse crap compared to Plus on PS3.

@CDPlaysGames why didn't you set up your subscription (in PS4 settings) so it would NOT automatically renew? It's not SONY's fault you did not or have not gone through every single setting in the settings menu.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about PS Plus and online requirements.

Common/by default:
- Free 2 play titles does not requiring you a PS Plus subscription.
- Online-only titles does not (force you to have or) requiring you a PS Plus subscription. You can play missions by doing it solo.
- (Free) Beta titles mostly not requires PS Plus subscription. The latest beta available in PS4 (Overwatch) is not requiring you a PS Plus subscription to play MP modes.

The only thing PS Plus require is the MULTIPLAYER MODES for a specific game.

- You must have a PS Plus subscription if you want to enjoy multiplayer mode. For example: Driveclub private lobbies and multiplayer requiring you a PS Plus subscription. Looking at leaderboards IS NOT A MULTIPLAYER MODE so it makes sense if you can see leaderboard without having PS Plus.
- The Division requires PS Plus if you want to invite your friend to your squad.
- Destiny requires PS Plus for Crucible mode (team deathmatch)
- Need for Speed requires PS Plus if you want to invite your friend to your session.
- Black Ops 3 requires PS Plus if you want to play co-op campaign. It is a campaign, but it has mode that can bring your friend to a campaign, besides online MP/Zombie

===

PLEASE NOTE there is also paid game but not requiring PS Plus: FF XIV a realm reborn. It has game subscription model so it does not requiring you a PS Plus.

===

Sorry for disagree, but as developer and consumer, IMO it is a good move from Sony to requiring a PS Plus (only) for Multiplayer modes. Technically, PSN infrastructure right now has gone far larger than PS3 days. If you see investor meeting report (2014 or 2015) by Andrew House, they mentioned about network platform re-architecture, which is they are truly using our money to focus on the platform, not just a company cashgrab from consumer (OH SO EVIL). Not to mention other stuff outside PSN platform.

Don't worry as you no need to pay for go online (internet connection itself costs you, lol), you need to pay subs for MP modes. 1 year subscription is not that expensive unless you are jobless and you cannot earn $50 a year.

===

As for GT Sport itself, I hope they are providing two modes (offline and online) because TBH I dont like to race in public rooms since people love to ram other cars. And it is a good thing that they aiming to release the beta for free.

What is the current view on this - what functions of GT Sport will require PSN+ and what wont?
Online racing, either in lobby or the official sport mode races require Plus.

Everything else just needs online access and doesn't need Plus.

Back