• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 97 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Insert **Not Bad** meme here.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/new-hyundai-elantra-sport-revealed-with.html

The Elantra Sport is powered by a 1.6-liter T-GDi turbocharged four producing 204 PS (201 HP) and 265 Nm (195 lb-ft) of torque, and is available with a six-speed manual transmission as standard and, optionally, a dual-clutch seven-speeder.

2016-hyundai-elantra-sport-0.jpg

2016-hyundai-elantra-sport-2.jpg

Sounds like the same engine as used in my long-term Kia Proceed GT. Not a truly quick car (at least not compared to other hot hatches available over here), but it's a nice engine to use and the six-speed gearbox is pretty slick too. Definitely better than the lower-power version of the engine that was in the Hyundai Veloster Turbo.

That should be a great car. Should be quick-ish but not nuts. Not prime ribeye, but at least you won't have anemia. Would be lovely if it handles well too.

That should be a great car. Should be quick-ish but not nuts. Not prime ribeye, but at least you won't have anemia. Would be lovely if it handles well too.

Pretty sure the rear of this model has been switched to double wishbones. So at least they're trying.

Semi-related, just drove home in my Elantra service loaner.

Elantra>>>>Corolla.
I haven't driven a new Elantra, but I have driven a Corolla and it was not all that exciting and felt quite cheap. But it's super reliable, so that's good enough to sell tons of them, right? :P

The Corolla is easily one of the worst cars in the sector though. Even the Sentra is better in some ways.

I'm not sure how much of a market there is for a speedy Elantra, but it's good to see Hyundai trying, and I doubt it was a huge investment. The last generation is a hugely common car here, right up there with the Mazda 3. Surely some of those people want a little more pep...

A previous Hyundai buyer will buy one. It has slightly more power than a Mazda3. We'll see if there are any takers with this Audi S7 type styling(from the rear anyway).

It all sounds fantastic on paper, but I still think Hyundai has a lot of work cut out for them when it comes to a proper ride/handling balance that's actually fun. All of their previous sporting attempts have either been too harsh or too sloppy, and still pack in plenty of understeer compared to the GTI/GLI and ST siblings. I really like the look of this, the price will very likely be a bargain compared to the GLI, but I'm not packing up from the VW camp just yet.

Nice looking car. 👍 Hopefully it's just as fun to drive to match the styling.

Edit: Very glad, VERY GLAD, they kept the wheels. :drool:

It all sounds fantastic on paper, but I still think Hyundai has a lot of work cut out for them when it comes to a proper ride/handling balance that's actually fun. All of their previous sporting attempts have either been too harsh or too sloppy, and still pack in plenty of understeer compared to the GTI/GLI and ST siblings. I really like the look of this, the price will very likely be a bargain compared to the GLI, but I'm not packing up from the VW camp just yet.
We'll just have to wait and see when the reviews come out. I am loving that interior though.

2017-HyundaiElantraSport-08.jpg

Yeah according to that last video, their 0-60 claim of 8 seconds is nowhere near accurate. More like 6-ish.
I'd say the speedometer probably isn't too accurate in that sweep. My Kia with the same drivetrain as this Elantra isn't anything like a 6-ish second car (officially 7.7sec), and in my experience of two of these things in succession the engines are very tight for the first 10k miles or so, so aren't delivering their best brand new. Dual-clutch 'box might shave a few tenths off, but it'd have to be developing a lot more than the 200-ish horsepower to sneak into the 6-second range.

Incidentally, it's interesting from that video that there doesn't appear to be a subtle sound generator like there is in my car. It's not the most inspiring-sounding engine so I actually quite like the subtle growl that appears in "GT mode".

I'd say the speedometer probably isn't too accurate in that sweep. My Kia with the same drivetrain as this Elantra isn't anything like a 6-ish second car (officially 7.7sec), and in my experience of two of these things in succession the engines are very tight for the first 10k miles or so, so aren't delivering their best brand new. Dual-clutch 'box might shave a few tenths off, but it'd have to be developing a lot more than the 200-ish horsepower to sneak into the 6-second range.
Depends on if their rating is accurate I guess. We'll see when the reviews start coming out.

In the mean time I keep checking Hyundai's website for the configurator to show up so I can see what the pricing and options are and it's still not up yet.

Depends on if their rating is accurate I guess. We'll see when the reviews start coming out.
Whose rating - Kia's for the Proceed GT, or the 8-ish seconds everyone is bouncing about for the Hyundai?

What I'm saying is that if the Hyundai has the same drivetrain as the Kia, it's not a 6-something car, on paper or on the road. A Focus ST or Golf GTI are 6.5, a Megane 275 or Leon Cupra are six flat. I've driven all of them and all are comfortably quicker than my Kia in a straight line.

Unless the Elantra is more powerful (it's a possibility) or it's significantly lighter (I'd be surprised), I'd expect it to be high-sevens to low-eights on paper and on the road. Maybe a little quicker since American mags tend to do a one-foot rollout when timing stuff which knocks a few tenths off, but I'd be very surprised if it's ST/GTI-quick.

Back