• 3,302 comments

Furinkazen

Sim Racing Organiser
Premium
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Furinkazen_54
poster-mythique-24-heures-du-mans-2016.jpg

As I write this, it is 50 days until the attention of the sportscar world turns to it's very own Superbowl. Indycar has the Indianapolis 500, NASCAR the Daytona 500, SRO the Spa 24 Hours, Formula One the Monaco Grand Prix. For the fastest sportscars and endurance fans however, it is all about Le Mans.

540915165-the-le-mans-24-hours-le-mans-june-18-19-1927-gettyimages.jpg

Le Mans is an event which like sportscars themselves, has evolved. For better or worse is your opinion. For the first 8 years, cars drove down the almighty Hunadieres straight and into the village of Mulsanne that is evocatively linked with the straightaway of the public road that remained for many years, over a full minute flat out. It was the ultimate image of speed, and culminated in the french Welter Racing team hitting over 400kph in 1988. Recent works on the track make Le Mans if anything even more unique - a blend of old and new. The section from Mulsanne Corner to Arnage is set to become permanent track as new roads are constructed alongside, gravel traps have found there way into the Porsche Curves, tarmac has crept in at chicanes.. yet the races key elements remain.

le-mans-entries-2015-jpg.74884

Le Mans is a 24 hour race. It has a special soul like no other place in world motorsports. For over 250,000 spectators, they enjoy not just the race but an experience like nothing else. I know a friend who has been to La Sarthe himself and the picture he paints is one of controlled madness, with drink-fuelled campsites mirrored by DJ concert sets, the fairground (and infamous ferris wheel), and of course the small matter of a brutally fast motor race through day and night.

2016-6-Heures-de-Silverstone-Adrenal-Media-GT7D2484_n.jpg

This year there are 60 cars. Count them. The largest turn out in the history of the race comes as a result of extensive trackside reworkings and also a sportscar scene in rude health. LMP1 is mainly made of hybrids - cars with a combination of a conventional powerplant and a form of Energy Recovery System (ERS). These are capable of exceeding in combination over 1200hp, but after last year when Porsche did an astonishing 3:17 lap with an average of 154mph, these cars are being slightly pegged back in performance. However with new cars from Audi, Toyota, Porsche, perhaps the times will be not much slower. It's a classic scenario of rule-book makers vs engineers... and engineers always find a way. Also, let us not forget the non hybrid LMP1 cars from Rebellion and CLM, which whilst lacking the hybrid acceleration of others are unmatched on pure top end speed with there 750hp AER engines.

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2015-47-kcmg-oreca-05-matthew-howson-richard-bradley-nicolas-la.jpg

It's the final year as we know it of the LMP2 class. Regardless of your pinions on the control chassis and regulations for 2017, the class has been a success story like no other, growing from a few poor Lola's and old Reynards with single figure grids to over 20 again this year with some serious talent and strength in depth through the field. Despite a somewhat controversial end to the 2015 WEC, KCMG return with the gorgeous ORECA 05. Look at it. Beautiful. Ligier's popular LMP2 also returns with a number of entries, and there are even a Gibson or two featured - the car that started life as a Reynard back in 2002 after 14 years may be making it's final Le Mans start. There is also a unique unclassified entry run for quadruple amputee Frederic Sausset in an older Morgan LMP2. If designing a car for him isn't enough of a challenge, there is also making sure it can be shared effectively with fully able-bodied team mates.

1458445990269.jpg

40 years ago Ford's famous GT40 started a 4 year winning run. Ford are now back with a two year program, and a new GT car. I'm just going to call it a GT40 because it sounds way better. The car may have had teething issues but this isn't just a PR stunt with 4 very potent GT40's (there I said it) entered in the GTE-PRO class which this year for the first time runs to different technical regs from the more gentleman-orientated GTE-AM category. Massive diffusers, less weight, crazy aero... and factory efforts from Corvette (defending champions), Aston Martin, Ferrari (almost) and some Porsches make this a hugely competitive class. The AM class continues with older variants of machinery and is often a spectacle.

This thread will be updated on the run up to and during the event which for a sixth year I am happy to be on this website with you all. Let the hype and build up begin with 7 weeks left....

LINKS - OFFICIAL:
Official Website.
Official Twitter.
Official Live Timing

Andy Blackmore Spotters Guide.

Last edited:
I'm predicting back to back wins for Porsche this year. They were utterly ruthless last year and it's likely to be the same again this year with Toyota running them close.

I don't think Audi's 6MJ system will be enough to compensate unless they pull their clever triple/quadruple stint strategies again.

I'm predicting back to back wins for Porsche this year. They were utterly ruthless last year and it's likely to be the same again this year with Toyota running them close.

I don't think Audi's 6MJ system will be enough to compensate unless they pull their clever triple/quadruple stint strategies again.

Cheers for an idea. @Bo PM due ;)

Following on from @Bo last year, this is my current list of criteria for the GTP Le Mans Drinking Game:

~Single (Boring & Frequent)
~Every time a GTE Ferrari is off.
~Camera shows a mechanic sleeping
~The CLM Audi rip-off is shown in the garage.
~Tracy Krohn
~An LMP1 breaks down.
~Any time Rebellion are mentioned overtaking a Hybrid.
~Any reference to Garage 56.
~References to Ford's GT40. In any way.
~Fox Sports goes for an advert break.
~DHH goes on a twitter rant
~Every time an american pronounces "Mulsanne" as "Muhl-sane".

~Double (Less frequent)
~A LMP2 Ligier spins.
~A LMP1 hits an LMP2.
~A Porsche LMP1 hits a Porsche GTE.
~Tracy Krohn involved in an accident not his fault.
~Corvette & Aston Martin rivalry from GT1 referenced.
~Eurosport goes for adverts.
~Night time shot shows sparks flying from those stupid GTE diffusers.
~Any commentator mentions how this is better than F1. (stating the obvious though)
~Eurosport ad breaks cut commentary.
~Any reference to the last year of current LMP2 rules.

~Triple (rare)
~The CLM is shown at full racing speed.
~Tracy Krohn is shown overtaking for position.
~Mark Webber being mentioned as a #1 driver.
~DHH goes on a twitter rant that makes sense
~A GTE Ferrari isn't at fault for a crash it's involved in.

~Quadruple (get smashed m8)
~Someone says 2017 LMP2 regulations idea's are a good idea.
~Someone refers to IMSA 2017 regulations as "Dots Per Inch".
~You get a twitter shout-out.
~Someone mentions that thing called GT Academy
~Someone says the Nissan GTR LM was a success.
~Neville Haye's Eurosport commentary doesn't send you to sleep (I love the guy, hugely knowledgeable but his voice induces sleepiness)
~Eurosport commentators make "WOAHHHHHHHHHHH" sound effects.

Following on from @Bo last year, this is my current list of criteria for the GTP Le Mans Drinking Game:

~Tracy Krohn
~An LMP1 breaks down.

~Double (Less frequent)
~A LMP2 Ligier spins.
~A LMP1 hits an LMP2.
~Any commentator mentions how this is better than F1. (stating the obvious though)

~Triple (rare)

~Neville Haye's Eurosport commentary doesn't send you to sleep (I love the guy, hugely knowledgeable but his voice induces sleepiness)
Could one trigger such things here? :lol: Like say, if someone were to mention the LMP2 regs in this thread? :P

~Tracy Krohn
~An LMP1 breaks down.

~Double (Less frequent)
~A LMP2 Ligier spins.
~A LMP1 hits an LMP2.

~Triple (rare)

B9D57D87-566F-49C9-8B5D-AEA55EE30CEE_zpsolz6y8hu.jpg

How would this be labeled?
Alcohol bath? Alcohol poisoning? Full system failure?

I know I should know this, but it's escaping me at the moment....why isnt BMW doing Le Mans with the GTLM M6?
Because BMW likes building cars that don't fit the regulations. Much like the Z4, the M6 is IMSA homologated only. It's basically a tuned up GT3 car. (Although so is the 488 GTE, and that's legal. Not sure why BMW didn't go down the same route as Ferrari on this one.)

Of course, if the combined GT regulations had come into play, we could have had all the major GT3 Marques entering cars at Le Mans. Such a pity it didn't happen.

the M6 is IMSA homologated only. It's basically a tuned up GT3 car.

In terms of being tuned up, this is the official line from BMW:

"Unlike the BMW M6 GT3, the BMW M6 GTLM must not have ABS. At 1,250 kg when empty, the BMW M6 GTLM is also about 50 kilograms lighter and has a slightly longer wheelbase.

The dimensions of the wheels and tyres are also different to those on the BMW M6 GT3, as is the tank capacity. The BMW M6 GTLM achieves far faster lap times than the BMW M6 GT3, primarily because of the Michelin tyres specified in the regulations for the GTLM class."

Although so is the 488 GTE, and that's legal. Not sure why BMW didn't go down the same route as Ferrari on this one.

A possible explanation from Sportscar365:

"It’s understood Bentley is pursuing a similar IMSA-only homologation with its Continental GT3 for next year [2016], made possible thanks to both the Bentley and BMW’s turbocharged engines being able to accept sonic air restrictors."

Ah, I was just wondering when this thread would go up! I've been waiting for this for weeks, the race, mainly. Not the thread. :sly:

Now, I'm mainly a Ford guy, but I've been pulling for Corvette since the introduction of the C7.R, so I think I'll pull for them like I always have, but I would 't be mad to see the new GT run well. Hoping to see Porsche win again, or maybe even Toyota, as they seem to finally have some speed again. As for GTE-AM and LMP2, I don't know enough about the teams to know who to root for. Is the GTE-AM Viper still around? I haven't seen them much this year, or perhaps I just haven't been paying attention.

Geez, can it just be June already? I wanna go racing!

For me, I've always been an Audi guy so to see them win would be great. Least year was the 3rd time since the dawn of the century that they've lost and they've never lost twice in a row. Don't count them out of another good run.

For LMP2, I've been supporting Jota since 2014 so I'd love to see them take the win, however, it'd be nice to see ESM represent the USA and take the win with Pipo behind the wheel.

GT Pro is gonna be all about Corvette. Those guys are so good at what they do. I hope we can get what we didn't get in Florida which is an all out war between Porsche, Corvette, Ford, and Ferrari but I'm not sure we'll get that.

GT Am is a tough class as I don't really follow it. Based on the first few rounds, I'd give a Ferrari the win unless they get drowned with BoP.

I think it would be cool to see Derani complete the triple, so I'm cheering as much as I cheer for any one car/team (which isn't much) for ESM in LMP2.

Other categories, I just want to see great racing :D. I wouldn't mind seeing Ford win, I'm rather indifferent...but I don't want to see piles of sand fall out of that car and them run away to a class win. If they win, cool, but I want to see a fight down to the wire :sly:

~Tracy Krohn
~An LMP1 breaks down.

~Double (Less frequent)
~A LMP2 Ligier spins.
~A LMP1 hits an LMP2.

~Triple (rare)

So basically, anyone playing this game is guaranteed to be swimming in their own piss.

Also, I didn't know you hated the Diffusers on the GTE cars.

So basically, anyone playing this game is guaranteed to be swimming in their own piss.

Also, I didn't know you hated the Diffusers on the GTE cars.
Stupid, but also kinda brilliant. The Aston is literally in the most British way a tea tray.

Indianapolis / Arnage road layout changed, with that section to become permanent racetrack.

So which way is the racetrack going now? Are the cars going to use the left-right sequence, then enter the roundabout before rejoining Arnage? Can't say I like it more than the old section.

And which section is going to be permanent racetrack? I have trouble imagining a roundabout to be part of a permanent racetrack.

I'm confused...

Last edited:
So which way is the racetrack going now? Are the cars going to use the left-right sequence, then enter the roundabout before rejoining Arnage? Can't say I like it more than the old section.

And which section is going to be permanent racetrack? I have trouble imagining a roundabout to be part of a permanent racetrack.

I'm confused...
The track is unchanged. The roundabout has been built so local traffic is not blocked off from the west and south directions when Arnage is closed for the race. Previously the roads from the west and south became cul-de-sacs when Arnage was closed off and local traffic was greatly inhibited.

The track is unchanged. The roundabout has been built so local traffic is not blocked off from the west and south directions when Arnage is closed for the race. Previously the roads from the west and south became cul-de-sacs when Arnage was closed off and local traffic was greatly inhibited.
I get that the track is following its original path and the round about is just for local traffic....but what part is becoming permanent race course?

Interesting. From the photo I thought they built the roundabout and separate road so local traffic didn't use that part of the course the rest of the year. But then will some normal traffic be allowed that close to the course during the race? Kind of surprising if that's the case, I'm picturing a cheesy sitcom like moment with some guy driving his sleeping family through the French countryside at 3AM then hears a thundering VroooOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHhhhh!

Got it. That makes the most sense to me 👍 What threw me off from the picture above are the barriers closing off the racetrack part, which I assume will be reversed to close off the normal road part come race day.

What this means is the entry to Arnage will be quite dusty for the first few laps. I'd expect cars to be overshooting their braking points here (though being such a slow corner would probably mean no crashes).

Back