Hood (Bonnet) view

• Thread starter Lalalalala
  • 102 comments

What view would you prefer?

• Chase Cam (behind the car)

• Cockpit (interior with steering wheel shown)

• Roof Cam (above the car)

• Bumper Cam (nothing from the car shown at all)

• Hood/Bonnet Cam (camera approximately at where the wipers are, showing the hood/bonnet only)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is it finally in this time? I am not talking about the roof cam. I really wish that we have a proper hood cam view because that's how people actually see in real life. They don't see the steering wheel unless they look down.

We've had the driver's eye view since GT5 though. Just make the field of view narrower and you get what you're asking for.

Is it finally in this time? I am not talking about the roof cam. I really wish that we have a proper hood cam view because that's how people actually see in real life. They don't see the steering wheel unless they look down.
Not necessarily true, though I do prefer roof and or hood cam for better visibility.

The roof cam that they have is like I am driving a bus :banghead:
And driving a bus is wonderful.

I currently use the hood view full time. If they change it, all they should do is ad a mirror so I do not have to look back as much. 👍

I think what you are looking for is called "Drivers Eye" or "Cockpit." Which I agree, should be fixed a little bit.

And driving a bus is wonderful.

I currently use the hood view full time. If they change it, all they should do is ad a mirror so I do not have to look back as much. 👍

I think what you are looking for is called "Drivers Eye" or "Cockpit." Which I agree, should be fixed a little bit.
No, we want bonnet view. The camera placed roughly where the windscreen wipers are, not on the roof at the top of the windscreen.

A few cars in 6 had a proper bonnet camera but most were roof.

Looks like from what I saw in the videos the cams are placed randomly again and also like GT6... The new Renault has it on the Roof for example, the Subaru and Evo aswell. You only see a small glimpse of the hood. Others such as the Aston Martin and the Corvette have a proper hoodview.
But WHY?! why those variations. Either make a Hood and Roofcam for each car or place it either on the Hood or the Roof ! Project Cars is in this way the #1 you can even adjust your FOV.

Also when this thread is about Hoodview, the aweful chasecam is also back... Narrow Fov far away from the car and static...

Get ready to drive like this again

med_1408891197_image.jpg

You should call this thread in general Gameplay views because I totally hate the chase view aswell haha. But anyways... they wont change it when its back in GTS from GT6 already :(

I used to drive in bumper view bmostely due to my crapy monitor. Now with better visuals, better interiors and a better monitor I might try out the interior view. :)

No, we want bonnet view. The camera placed roughly where the windscreen wipers are, not on the roof at the top of the windscreen.

A few cars in 6 had a proper bonnet camera but most were roof.
Ah, I always called "Roof View" "Hood View" because I mainly see the hood. I see where your point is. But I would like them to keep their current "Hood" because I pretty much exclusively use it.

Also, if the goal is to make it look as if you were really driving, why wouldn't you guys be calling it "Drivers Eye"?

Ah, I always called "Roof View" "Hood View" because I mainly see the hood. I see where your point is. But I would like them to keep their current "Hood" because I pretty much exclusively use it.

Also, if the goal is to make it look as if you were really driving, why wouldn't you guys be calling it "Drivers Eye"?

It's about where the camera is, not what you're looking at. Hence bumper cam, when in fact you can't see anything of the car.

It's about where the camera is, not what you're looking at. Hence bumper cam, when in fact you can't see anything of the car.
We've had the driver's eye view since GT5 though. Just make the field of view narrower and you get what you're asking for.
In my opinion, eran is thinking the same way I am. The camera position would be the exact same as "Cockpit," "Drivers Eye" or Interior... whatever you want to call it. The only difference would be the FOV. The camera would be zoomed in a bit and the viewing range would be changed a bit.

In my opinion, eran is thinking the same way I am. The camera position would be the exact same as "Cockpit," "Drivers Eye" or Interior... whatever you want to call it. The only difference would be the FOV. The camera would be zoomed in a bit and the viewing range would be changed a bit.

But I want it on the bonnet, outside of the car. Not inside. Pretty much every game I know calls it a bonnet/hood camera, because that is where it is. Chase camera is called that because it is chasing the car, bumper cam because it's on the bumper, cockpit/interior camera because that is where it is.

But I want it on the bonnet, outside of the car. Not inside. Pretty much every game I know calls it a bonnet/hood camera, because that is where it is. Chase camera is called that because it is chasing the car, bumper cam because it's on the bumper, cockpit/interior camera because that is where it is.
I was assuming you wanted the same views as the OP. Sorry about that. 👎 (👎 is for me :D)

It's actually called hood view in GT6. There is a roof view as well, but it can only be accessed from the replay.

The in-game camera definitely varies between cars in GT6, some of them it is on the hood, others it's on the roof, but they're the same camera 'mode' that you cycle through. In the replays there are two different views and so for some cars the 'bonnet' view is the one you get in gameplay, for others it's the 'roof'.

If they just offered both in gameplay that would be fine.

I was assuming you wanted the same views as the OP. Sorry about that. 👎 (👎 is for me :D)

I am I think, we're probably a little at crossed wires here. :P

@Lalalalala can obviously clarify but I think he means the view like the one I posted of GRID is most alike what people really see, because our eyes 'remove' the cockpit and windscreen when we drive. Could be wrong but yeah, the screenshot of GRID is what I want, it's how I play every driving game. I just like the visibility combined still with the sense you're in a driving position.

Personally I'd say go with cockpit view. I only really race online and i only use cockpit view. If you set the view to "Narrow" it puts you in the perfect, or near perfect, driving position.

I prefer roof view.

What we need is a way to adjust the camera, so everyone is happy. I keep making this suggestion because I'm hoping one of these days, it happens. Hopefully in GT Sport.
  • Four camera locations: Bumper, Cockpit, Roof, Chase
  • Adjust camera forward/back, left/right, up/down
  • Adjust field of view
  • Adjust sway amount, 0 is fixed
  • Adjust shake amount
For a hood view, pick either Bumper or Cockpit. Say you want to see mostly the road, pick Bumper.
  • Camera up 20
  • Camera back 40
  • Sway 0
  • Shake 10
There you go, a hood view showing just enough of the hood to see it and be oriented. I thought about an aim parameter, but less clutter and confusion is better.

Can't believe more of you prefer hood view than cockpit view. Does it give you a better feeling for the car or something?

Personally, since I don't have a steering wheel, being able to see the steering wheel in cockpit view gives me a better feel for the car and immerses (is that the right word?) me more into the game, making me perform better.

Can't believe more of you prefer hood view than cockpit view. Does it give you a better feeling for the car or something?

Personally, since I don't have a steering wheel, being able to see the steering wheel in cockpit view gives me a better feel for the car and immerses (is that the right word?) me more into the game, making me perform better.

The visibilty, primarily. On one screen a cockpit view is very restrictive, I can't easily glance to either side like I would in reality, I have no peripheral vision.

I use it occasionally but 90% of the time I want a bonnet view.

The visibilty, primarily. On one screen a cockpit view is very restrictive, I can't easily glance to either side like I would in reality, I have no peripheral vision.

I use it occasionally but 90% of the time I want a bonnet view.
I can understand that if you're driving the TS030 or the Nissan LMP (worst view angles and poor depth perception), but most cars, at least as I see it, have edge to edge view angles (edge of display), I see enough of the road and my surroundings usually.

I want the hood/bonnet view as well. I do not like the interior cameras as you see far to much of the inside of the car when using those and the view port of the road ahead is to restricted. It is better when the FOV is moved forward but still would be better.

When playing past versions of GT I find myself switching views a lot and none of them are quite what I want, though there are a few cars that are pretty good. When I first started I used chase cam and a game pad for everything. In GT4 I switched to roof view and did much better. I then started playing Forza 2 and using the hood view which I like very much. I started using a wheel part time in Forza 2 and early in 3 then when GT5 came out got a better wheel and used it exclusively. The views in GT5 I would try several going between cockpit, roof and bumper. Most of the time I would end up in bumper view even though I do not really like it and you would actually be closer to the car in front that what it appeared on screen. Roof was to high in most cars and cockpit to confined. Hood view would be much better for my tastes than any that were previously there.

It makes sense to give people more camera position options and make them consistent e.g. bumper, interior, hood, roof and chase. At the moment the placement of the camera in hood view is random. For example on the Chevrolet El Camino it is so close to the bonnet / hood that I find it impossible to judge the width of the car and have to switch to another view. I switched from bumper view early on in GT5 because it doesn't give any connection to the car or let me know what I am driving and reminds me of a low flying helicopter camera, whereas hood view gives me a guide to vehicle width so I can place the car accurately. I try to use interior when I can - normally for offline play when I want to increase immersion and also switch off the HUD, but it is often too dark - there is no consistency as if the modelling is done by a dozen guys each of whom has a different style and no guidance from PD on what is required.

I don't have Project Cars, but I tried a friends copy recently and was blown away by the camera options - there are different types of interior view, some of which are superb.

The hood cam view on the Ferrari GTO is a real shame - way up on the roof near the back of the car and totally loses all immersion in the game. Surely it must be easy enough to copy the hood cam views from Project Cars so people can actually choose the one that they want. Unfortunately from what I saw of the live event coverage it is the same story of totally random camera placement presumably from employing numerous car modelers and then not giving them any direction so each does there own random thing - not good enough PD, definitely not good enough.

The NASCAR are probably the worst, not just on the roof, but halfway back. Why?!

It always gives the feeling the car is rotating around your axis because it's almost in the middle of the car.

The position of the roof cameras on the NASCAR cars in Gran Turismo is the same position as the roof cameras on NASCAR cars in real life. I believe PD tried to replicate what you would see out of the actual roof camera in real life, but who knows.

Back