Using the PS4 CONTROLLER on GT Sport?

How have you been playing the last couple of Gran Turismo games?

• Wheel. I am the master race

Votes: 35 25.0%
  • Controller, I use the triggers for gas and brake

Votes: 64 45.7%
  • Controller, I use X and Square for gas and brake

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • Controller, D-pad. yea, whats up?

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • other

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters
United States
USA
AgentOfAkira
'Servent!'
'..y-yes, Master Try Hard?'
'Bring me my controller'
'as you wish, Master.'

I've been working the last couple of days and haven't had time to check out all the GT Sport news. Everything I've seen so far looks pretty good. But.. I wonder, does anyone know how GT Sport plays with a PS4 controller? I'm sure this GT Sport event had racing wheels setups everywhere. Is there ANY info on the casual controls. It's kind of a big deal seeing that more than half of people who get GT Sport will never get a wheel.

Ok i can give feedback on this.
I spent a fair amount of time playing using the ps4 controllers today as the pods and race seats tended to be constantly busy, unsurprisingly.

I got to compete in one of the races at the front in the seats as well and that was wayyyyyy different to the controller but still felt intuitive to me.

I found the driving with the controller to be not too dissimilar from GT6, having played some GT6 this week. I managed nearly two whole laps at Willow Springs without spinning out on my first go lol. The handling has definitely changed on the controller but not massively so in my personal opinion (others will have their own opinion of course).

I should add that this was all done on the default settings on the controller.

PS there were three aids settings - off, "braking only" and "braking and steering". I used off all the way through on the controllers.

My impressions echo @sirjim73 's, I'm a DS3 user on GT6 and when I got to try GT Sport using the DS4, it felt very similar to GT6. This was with the driving steering and brakings aids turned off. When I used the wheel in the pods and competitive multiplayer it felt like a whole different experience. Can't compare to GT6 with a wheel since I haven't tried that combination yet.

I use controller,
Did well in GT6, got Platinum.
So I would probably still use one.

My impressions echo @sirjim73 's, I'm a DS3 user on GT6 and when I got to try GT Sport using the DS4, it felt very similar to GT6. This was with the driving steering and brakings aids turned off. When I used the wheel in the pods and competitive multiplayer it felt like a whole different experience. Can't compare to GT6 with a wheel since I haven't tried that combination yet.

So, you did tried with no ABS ( all aids off ) ? I never use ABS in GT6, hoping I don't have to in GTS.

I've always been used a DS3, with X and Square. Considering the DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, I guess I'll have to switch over to using the triggers instead.

Nope, I used ABS in all of my sessions.

Do you know anyone that do not use ABS in the event ? Anyone from GTP ? I want to know if ABS in GTS this time works as it should like IRL, so I can finally use it, how I wished I could be there :banghead: Really hope I could meet PD staff there, there's so many things I wanted to say:embarrassed:

It's great at least that DS4 works nicely, thanks mate :cheers:

Do you know anyone that do not use ABS in the event ? Anyone from GTP ? I want to know if ABS in GTS this time works as it should like IRL, so I can finally use it, how I wished I could be there :banghead: Really hope I could meet PD staff there, there's so many things I wanted to say:embarrassed:

It's great at least that DS4 works nicely, thanks mate :cheers:

I couldn't tell the difference between braking in GT6 and GTS so I guess ABS has not been radically overhauled. Everyone I watched playing had ABS on.

I've always been used a DS3, with X and Square. Considering the DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, I guess I'll have to switch over to using the triggers instead.

Same here.

I couldn't tell the difference between braking in GT6 and GTS so I guess ABS has not been radically overhauled. Everyone I watched playing had ABS on.

Yeah, that would be my impression too. I think all the pros were hogging the pods @Ridox2JZGTE so they're unlikely to see your post here in the controller thread :lol:

I suspect that's more likely to come out in the physics thread eventually, but I think most people who were there yesterday are knackered/sleeping right now :lol:

NeGcon :P
DS3 with Right stick to accelerate, R1/R2 for gears, L2 to brake (L1 for Nitro/Aero) It sounds bizarre but it makes a lot more sense after you play Tourist Trophy.

I wish I could, but I only have a G27. Playing this with the DS4 will suck! the DS4 sticks are TERRIBLE, just like the Xbox One controller.

I don't want to change my way of playing, but those PS4 triggers are pretty nifty~

This ain't some dumb project cars.. this is home. Even it feels a little different, I'll get used to it

I'll play with controller at launch, if I get more "serious" about the game I'll get a racing wheel. The main problem is that I have PC/PS4/XBO and I don't seem to find a racing wheel that works on all platforms.

It'd be lovely to use my G27...but without a PS4 G25/27 converter adapter ( They only allow for steering, no feedback sadly ) i'll be relegated to the PS4 controller. The new wheels are just too much money for someone, such as myself.

I use R2 and L2 for acc/dec
Left stick for steering
Right stick for up/down gears
O for handbrake
Triangle for rear view
and whatever takes my fancy for the other buttons, but can't think of anything useful right now.

Here's one of those converters.

I'm not sure how well it works, to risk buying one:

http://www.match4newconsole.com/product/m4-converter-official-edition/

To quote their FAQ

"Can M4 support the 6 way Manual Shift stick of Logitech G27?

Yes. But it require the game support it too. For example the DriveClub of PS4 do not support the Manual shift stick, then of cause the shift stick would not work. However, you can still use the shift paddles behind the wheel for manual shift control."

Last edited:
I wonder if they'll finally adopt the triggers as the main input for gas/brake, because the traditional layout will be painful with DS4's non-analog face buttons.

Indeed, i'm not sure you're going to do too well with digital on/off switches for your inputs Furinkazen!

I've just grown used to it but PCARS has familiarized me with its hellish L2 R2 inputs for acceleration and braking :lol: ~power = spin~ :lol:

I really hope GTS supports the DualShock4 tilt sensors as a wheel, just like Driveclub and Pcars. It's not like a proper wheel, but it's much better than the analog sticks.

Back