The Graphics

• Thread starter citroengt1
  • 221 comments

Graphics quality, what do you think?

• Total voters
Croatia
Zagreb
johnwalter1044
Yeah, no one can argue that the graphics can compare with Forza 6.

i1hP3oRjmfMmcC.jpg

They are really good. And with a statement that the game is 50% in completion, there's hope that
it could even get better (particles, wet condition effects, heated surface effects back from PS2 Laguna Seca, 3D clouds, 3D dirt and snow tire tracks, and so on...)

i1v8eojufJZO7C.jpg

But there's a problem with that statement's firm ground so to speak.

i1iBRomm2aQGPO.jpg

Because on the Gran Turismo Sport webpage, under the Graphics section
at the bottom of the page there is a sentence:
"While you may not notice the level of detail in the cars and tracks while driving in normal gameplay, you will see it in replays and in Photo mode where you can study the images up close."

i1WoRPYyyveQTEc.jpg

So with that bomb dropped by PD right in the start,
does that mean we should just settle with what we've
seen so far?

i13PJYBjUzDGCb.jpg

I mean, look at my Avatar picture. It's a photo of the Opel Calibra DTM
on the Wet Tsukuba Circuit back in GT4. I would love to see that again.

image.jpg

But i fear that we might not get such effect, but i have hope and joy that it could come.

i1C6YoJPK0MOPb.jpg

What do you guys think?
Will we have GT SPORT and GT7 with the graphics bellow the Forza 6 level or beyond?

i1SZNDQ9ZFwqNEc.jpg

[EDIT]:
Also one main feature is of course the Virtual Reality. But given the price and time-consumption for VR, lot of people (like a lot lot) will still play on the TV. Which could raise up another question:

Should GTS or GT7 feature an option to down-scale the graphics quality for VR and up-scale for NO VR gameplay?

Last edited:
That is true, for when one is seriously focused and racing you can't really notice much.
But there are people who play GT games for the graphics and joy riding, upon which
you can tend to see those "details".

Will we have GT SPORT and GT7 with the graphics bellow the Forza 6 level or beyond?
Most pictures you are using are from the new scapes mode and not representative of the game at all, because those are real life backgrounds and gt cars added to them. This is probably the only in game picture of those you mentioned.
i1WoRPYyyveQTEc.jpg

More information on the scapes mode can be found here: http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/scapes/

Last edited:
I'd say it would downgrade, since there is far less content in demos and trials, the developers will fill all the extra space with graphics to reel players in then they will take bits of the visuals out when the content actually come in.

But it usually doesn't bother me, I can still look at GT3 with a smile in my face and be satisfied with its visuals.

This is probably the only in game picture of those you mentioned.

Not really, but i agree that i posted both Scape and in-race pictures.
I thank you for informing people on the same subject i posted (the quality difference between racing and Photomode).
But the number of race shots and Scape shot are the same or similar.

Not really, but i agree that i posted both Scape and in-race pictures.
I thank you for informing people on the same subject i posted (the quality difference between racing and Photomode).
But the number of race shots and Scape shot are the same or similar.
Feel free to check every picture you posted with the pictures on the official gt site and compare them. For instance, these two pictures look like your standard photomode picture, but those are actually scapes mode pictures according to their site.

i13PJYBjUzDGCb.jpg

i1SZNDQ9ZFwqNEc.jpg

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are forgetting what this game is.

PD actually used to make two games.

1- Gran Turismo
2- Gran Turismo Prologue (a glimpse of what is to come and test-bed for features)

They're now making a 3 game under the Gran Turismo umbrella.

3- Gran Turismo "Sport"

Now the emphasis is on the word Sport. Sony & PD want to get into the E-Sport market as this is the future of gaming. Heros to cheer on and bring revenue into the company. What better way than with a multimillion pound/dollar/(insert currency) game.

So what does this mean for graphics? Well if you want to show off your sport either via streaming services like Twitch TV or via regular terrestrial/satellite/cable TV then you're going to want something which is decent FPS, and smooth. Adding pretty particle effects etc will not aid in this vision.

Will the game get better looking, it's possible and I suspect if you want your e-sport game to be comparable to others then you're going to need weather etc and I'd hope this means some sort of graphical change. Will it look like Driveclub? Nope, will it look like GT6 most likely. Sim racing usually denotes less resources to the graphics in the past due to the demands of the physics. The disparity is no longer as large and as consoles and PCs get ever more powerful then this gap will get smaller.

The big graphical changes will come with GT7 which I suspect will be a game released around the time PS4/PS4K is on its way out the door or on PS5.

I think a lot of people are forgetting what this game is.

PD actually used to make two games.

1- Gran Turismo
2- Gran Turismo Prologue (a glimpse of what is to come and test-bed for features)

They're now making a 3 game under the Gran Turismo umbrella.

3- Gran Turismo "Sport"

Now the emphasis is on the word Sport. Sony & PD want to get into the E-Sport market as this is the future of gaming. Heros to cheer on and bring revenue into the company. What better way than with a multimillion pound/dollar/(insert currency) game.

E-sport, future of gaming? Judging my MOBAs, Competitive Shooters and the Pokemon World Championships that have exist for awhile, E-Sports are more like the present than future. So really, GT Sport is finally trying to get in what is hip.

Yeah, no one can argue that the graphics can compare with Forza 6.

GTS certainly has a better photomode.

But in game, I'm yet to see anything that's spectacularly better than FM6. The Nurb looked pretty good, but some of the other stuff was pretty underwhelming. At this point I would say comparable at best, assuming that GTS stabilises their frame rate for release.

GTS is pretty much already one of the best looking racing games, if not just one of the best looking games, out there. I prefer it over Forza's less realistic style but that's a personal preference. Whether the graphics of GTS improve or stay the same, it still looks great.

GTS certainly has a better photomode.

But in game, I'm yet to see anything that's spectacularly better than FM6. The Nurb looked pretty good, but some of the other stuff was pretty underwhelming. At this point I would say comparable at best, assuming that GTS stabilises their frame rate for release.

The lighting alone is better than anything outputing 60 FPS on console. Forza looks great but seeing the direct footage GTS looks more realistic. Things can only prove from now as well.

E-sport, future of gaming? Judging my MOBAs, Competitive Shooters and the Pokemon World Championships that have exist for awhile, E-Sports are more like the present than future. So really, GT Sport is finally trying to get in what is hip.

True, for games like that esports have been doing it for a while but have only been viewed by those who love games.

Maybe my wording is wrong, rather than future more like mainstream and more visible to the general public.

@TenEightyOne I'm not sure if I'm truthful. I haven't been keeping a firm grip on the GT franchise for some time. Kaz says a lot of things and Sony and the suits still seem to prove him wrong. While Kaz may view this as a successor to Gran Turismo 6 I get the feeling Sony want to use this a way into competitive esport racing and a platform to sell the PSVR.

I think we'll see GT7 later down the line which incorporates the less competitive version of GT Online and a more well rounded single player game. I could be wrong and in my life I've learnt not to trust my gut and keep my mouth shut as it just leads to verbal diarrhoea. :)

True, for games like that esports have been doing it for a while but have only been viewed by those who love games.

I doubt GT will be the pioneer for E-Sports into the general public. I don't really know anyone who isn't a fan of car racer game or gaming in general be keen for this, I expect this to get the same criticism as MOBAs did when one of them got aired to ESPN.

Granted, watching a Car Racer is more accessible than a MOBA or even Pokemon. However, the general term of "just kids playing game" will haunt this idea for the rest of its life.

I don't think we need to worry about the graphics in gtsport.I just think we need to manage our expectations and not compare it to games like Driveclub Which is running at 30fps or games running on monster pc's.

Pozz! :D

Looking at the GT Sport pictures you posted, I don't think there's any room for improvement in photo mode, they're just perfect-looking, flawless quality. However, the jaggedy blurry shadows during gameplay have got to get fixed, it's unacceptable to have such awful shadow quality on the PS4. I'm sure PD will do it right.

@RESHIRAM5 I can't deny the lack of interest from the general public and the stigma of gaming for nerds,geeks,kids & people suffering from some sort of antisocial disorder. However more and more people are playing games and I can't quite shake this on the GTS website...

View attachment 548582

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/gt_live/
Judging by the LoL Final Round gets over 30 Million Views on streams and Pokemon air their Championships on their Youtube Channel (albeit not much views), no matter how superior the visuals, TV-Like format and "spot-on cameras". Also the fact that it sounds like general races and not really a high stakes championship seems more like a negative than a positive.

Last edited:
The graphics of GT Sport are fantastic but I really think people are picking at straws comparing Forza or any other game to GT Sport. To me the differences are minute, especially in motion, in game, which is where I spend 95% of my time. The lighting is better in GT yes, graphics are overall slightly prettier. But to me all the current games on pc and console look more than good enough to the point where I'm only concerned about physics, sound, FFB, gameplay etc.

547c1a6b75e8e_-_ee62d06f-84d4-4324-8a69-5d291e96eebd.jpg

med_AMCRebel_MayDLC_ForzaHorizon2_01_WM.jpg

forza-motorsport-5-nrburgring-booster-pack_100469203_l.jpg

Speaking purely of gameplay(photo mode is always going to be unrepresentative), I think the game desperately needs more AA, if it even has any right now at all.

Again though, I suspect the graphics are being deliberately held back because it's going to need to work in VR. I'm not sure many quite appreciate just what that entails, but suffice to say - it's a very demanding undertaking.

I also think this may mean that a PS4 Neo version may rectify a lot of this. While there may not be 'new features' for a Neo version, it could easily crank up the AA, draw distance, level of detail, and do other things that wouldn't be considered 'features'. All while still being able to handle that same graphics level with PSVR.

Of course the other line of thinking is that they just haven't really gotten into the nitty gritty graphics and optimization yet. Meaning they were making builds more for playability than for the 'wow factor'. Which would also make sense. This would also mean that the final version could look much better on the standard PS4, while the PSVR mode would simply involve reduced quality settings. Which would require extra work optimizing for a different target, but might save having to compromise on the 2d version.

I guess it depends what you mean by graphics. The frame rate could be stabilised, for example, at the cost of overall in game detail. So it's not a straightforward prediction to make.

I'd say it would downgrade, since there is far less content in demos and trials, the developers will fill all the extra space with graphics to reel players in then they will take bits of the visuals out when the content actually come in.

But it usually doesn't bother me, I can still look at GT3 with a smile in my face and be satisfied with its visuals.
Disc space is not the bottleneck for graphics on consoles, it's whether the GPU can handle the graphics being rendered.

What you're actually describing is the fact that developers constantly have to make trade-offs. It's a balancing act... to improve one aspect of the graphics, you might be forced to downgrade another.

In GT Sport's case, there's the possibility that weather, AA and improving the shadows might force PD to downgrade other aspects of GTS's graphics. But the end result will almost certainly be more balanced graphics that look good more consistently than what we saw with GTS.

Judging by the LoL Final Round gets over 30 Million Views on streams and Pokemon air their Championships on their Youtube Channel (albeit not much views), no matter how superior the visuals, TV-Like format and "spot-on cameras". Also the fact that it sounds like general races and not really a high stakes championship seems more like a negative than a positive.
We're getting slightly off topic here but the streaming aspect is definitely not for "general races", the presentation clearly stated that only high profile events like the Nations Cup Championships and the Nurb 24hr events will be streamed. Just wanted to clarify.

The lighting alone is better than anything outputing 60 FPS on console. Forza looks great but seeing the direct footage GTS looks more realistic.

I disagree. I think that the lighting is better in GTS, but the environments in general are worse. We're yet to see how GTS handles weather or night.

Considering that we have early footage with some notable issues, all I'm comfortable saying is that the graphics of GTS are in the same ballpark as FM6 and pCARS. They may end up being significantly better, but they're not, yet.

Things can only prove from now as well.

Not at all. They still have to hit a solid 60 fps, so it may be that they need to downgrade the graphics from this build in order to do so. They wouldn't be the first developer to release with downgraded graphics compared to early gameplay.

People need to remember that nearly all official GT Sport shots are taken from photomode or are pre-rendered and are not in any way representative of in game graphics quality, which from what I can see they are much nearer GT6 than I was expecting. In a way its a bit dissapointing to see it look so similar to previous gen.

The graphics will most likely rise in quality, but only here and there since the game is probably in an internal beta state. Usually beta periods are focused on squashing bugs and optimizing performance, with only a few small tweaks to the graphics and sound.

I disagree. I think that the lighting is better in GTS, but the environments in general are worse. We're yet to see how GTS handles weather or night.

Considering that we have early footage with some notable issues, all I'm comfortable saying is that the graphics of GTS are in the same ballpark as FM6 and pCARS. They may end up being significantly better, but they're not, yet.

Not at all. They still have to hit a solid 60 fps, so it may be that they need to downgrade the graphics from this build in order to do so. They wouldn't be the first developer to release with downgraded graphics compared to early gameplay.

But they were already running the maximum amount of cars and the FPS weren't awful, so with 6 month of optimization I think things can only get better.

I don't think the overall graphics are going to change much. The lighting engine at this stage is set in, as are most of the major effects, you don't make big changes to those core features a few months out. What we're likely to see is simply upgrades in textures, trackside items and such.

But they were already running the maximum amount of cars and the FPS weren't awful, so with 6 month of optimization I think things can only get better.

Remember that they have to find at least a handful of frames to iron out the stuttering that we saw. Then they also have to add in damage, weather, and night with all it's extra light sources. These things are not without impact.

If the conditions we've seen so far was all the engine had to face, you might be right. But as it stands, it was basically a minimum stress situation, and there were still some minor issues.

I don't think it's a given at all that the graphics will improve by any significant margin. I think they'll be doing well if they can optimise what they have to a steady 60, and add in a decent looking set of static rain and night conditions.

Back