About the car list...

• Thread starter queleuleu
  • 309 comments
France
France
First, sorry for the broken english.
So we know that GTsport won't have standard cars and that's the best news. I can understand that some models from GT5 prologue can't be ported to ps4 and maybe some from gt5. A reasonable assumption would be something like 250 cars.
But 140?! I can understand it's for VR but what about classic cars, tuner cars...
At least, if we knew that GT7 will be released in 2017. I love hotlapping in GT6 and watching the replay because there are so many cars. To be honest, I'm disappointed by this low number and I can't understand how in almost 3 years we can expect only 140 cars.
I'm not a sim racer, just casual player since GT1.

Last edited:
It's also going to be less than 140 in reality since it seems highly likely they're up their usual tricks of counting the same car more than once. There are four versions of the Evo X and three of the MX-5, for example. Oh, and there could also be two versions of each Vision GT car, the original one and one modified for Gr.1 racing.

It didn't really ring with me that 140 cars was bad but having thought about everything over the past few days this is probably the worst news from the announcement. It's really not very many. I'm someone who is more than happy paying for DLC so I'm hoping many more turn up after release.

Worth considering that the relatively low car count might not be because that's all they've got. With GT Sport being an e-Sport focused game it's important that the car roster is well balanced, and naturally the more cars you have the harder it'll be to manage that. It seems possible that there could be content being held back for a more fully-fleshed GT, whenever that comes along.

Might have something to do with car balance. I find it weird that they ditched all the Premiums from GT6 since most of the models were hypothetically PS4 ready... We ended up loosing lots of cars, specially classics and road cars in general.

Let's wait to see how the rest of the list fills up and hope that all those "sub-versions" of each car count just as one and that those RM count as upgrades rather than a new car.

It didn't really ring with me that 140 cars was bad but having thought about everything over the past few days this is probably the worst news from the announcement. It's really not very many. I'm someone who is more than happy paying for DLC so I'm hoping many more turn up after release.
That's my assumption too. A free car every once in a while (each month that we were promised in GT6 maybe?) and on top of that a few DLCs every three months or so maybe, with 5 cars in them.

Worth considering that the relatively low car count might not be because that's all they've got. With GT Sport being an e-Sport focused game it's important that the car roster is well balanced, and naturally the more cars you have the harder it'll be to manage that. It seems possible that there could be content being held back for a more fully-fleshed GT, whenever that comes along.

True to a certain degree but the balancing is done on it's own if you include real world series. I was honestly expecting more of that, but let's see, we've still got ~70 cars left to see.

The number is low especially when you compare it to the others. But I remember when Gran Turismo 3 came out, they had 181 cars, according to http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197470-granturismo3aspec/faqs/13640.

I'm not sure if you played Gran Turismo 3, but that number was PLENTY. As long as they add a good selection of cars I believe we will be fine.

I also think that there will be more than 140 or so when the game comes out. Maybe 200.

The number is low especially when you compare it to the others. But I remember when Gran Turismo 3 came out, they had 181 cars, according to http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197470-granturismo3aspec/faqs/13640.

I'm not sure if you played Gran Turismo 3, but that number was PLENTY. As long as they add a good selection of cars I believe we will be fine.

I also think that there will be more than 140 or so when the game comes out. Maybe 200.

GT3 was plenty but it was varied. Again we have to be cautious as we've not seen the whole list but so far every single car in GT Sport is from 2009 or later.

I was surprised as well considering how they were telling us the premiums were future proofed, VGT cars aside though most of the cars they've shown already are brand new and were not in GT6.

I prefer the racing cars more but hopefully the rest of the unannounced have more road cars.

I know that PD say that PS3 premiums are PS4 ready. But they (premium models) dont have modeled engine bay and other stuf uder the bonet. Ok, just rally cars feom GT5,6 had it. So meybe thay relised that is faster to make cars from begening that to remodel premiums. If PD planing some serious damage in GT sport cars must be modeled inside and outside.

I know that PD say that PS3 premiums are PS4 ready. But they (premium models) dont have modeled engine bay and other stuf uder the bonet. Ok, just rally cars feom GT5,6 had it. So meybe thay relised that is faster to make cars from begening that to remodel premiums. So if PD planing some serious damage in GT sport cars must be modeled inside and outside.

You can add to multi-piece 3D models though, that is the benefit of those over single-piece models like standards. I mean it's essentially how it works when you add custom bumpers in-game, you're adding to the 3D model, although obviously it's a pre-done part.

You could definitely update those Premium models with engine bays or anything else though. Maybe not super easily but it's certainly a lot quicker than starting entirely from scratch. There must be another reason.

Perhaps the livery editor has something to do with it? I mean, I don't see why it would, but that's the only reason I can see for the car list being so small.

Yeah I don't see why it would be that either, all they need to do is create a UV map for each model, not a problem for any 3D model really.

Someone mentioned it was because of adaptive tessellation not being on the older cars but I've not seen an official source on that yet.

Because they mention super premium cars specific number my theory is that there are other> premium cars in the game.
Otherwise there would be just "cars" number.

Because they mention super premium cars specific number my theory is that there are other> premium cars in the game.
Otherwise there would be just "cars" number.

I doubt it, they used the "super premium" line just to highlight that they were better than the premium models. That GT Facebook page also stated that all cars would be super premium.

dont know why people these days moan at a "low" number of cars...this was a full game when i was about 20 years old, and no moaning, it was fabulous, 3 cars and four tracks, played it for years untill gt1 arrived..
MK81207-50_1,,Sega-Saturn-Photo-1-Sega-Rally-Championship-EUR.jpg

dont know why people these days moan at a "low" number of cars...this was a full game when i was about 20 years old, and no moaning, it was fabulous, 3 cars and four tracks, played it for years untill gt1 arrived..
View attachment 548675

Maybe because expectations change with time, and against competition? Not just in video games, in every walk of life. I'm not sure how successful a new £300 phone would be today that only included calls, texts and snake game.

View attachment 548675
I don't know why people complain about graphics, when I first started gaming I thought this was amazing.

elite1.gif

Do you see the error in your logic?

View attachment 548675
I think you'll find that people tended to complain quite a bit about ports of arcade racing games that cost full price when most of the game could be discovered with about $4 in quarters.

In my opinion, IF this whole balance structure works (gr.1, gr.3 ect.) It will give the game endless replay-ability. Especially if they support the game with future DLC. I don't mind having 3 different miatas aslong as they each have their place amongst the game, in example ,if every car has a championship or online leagues they belong to, i wouldn't mind every carry having an alternate "gr." version.

GT3 was plenty but it was varied. Again we have to be cautious as we've not seen the whole list but so far every single car in GT Sport is from 2009 or later.
We definitely need to be cautious.
And I haven't even seen all of the available models yet, to determine that they are all from 2009, and up so far.

I am happy to know this though, because the way I see it that will make the roster much
more refreshing, having new vehicles to mess around with even if there won't be as many at launch.

My hope is that they will continue working diligently on more cars, adding to the variety. Adding classics like the NA1 NSX, Lancia Stratos, etc. so that a few months after it is released the count will be higher.

Edited

I doubt it, they used the "super premium" line just to highlight that they were better than the premium models. That GT Facebook page also stated that all cars would be super premium.
The only way why I would leave all the old premiums is the damage model and separate body panels ala WRC cars from GT5/6. Otherwise its a waste to scrap car models on par with the best games out there.

In Gran turismo standard 137 cars is a very low car count but if you compare it with other racing title, it's still a fairly decent amount of cars. I'd rather have 100+ cars with high quality model than 1000 cars with "standards" "semi-premium" "premium" BS we had in Gt6. I thought people want quality over quantity?

I agree with the idea if there is a good balance of race and street, I think we'll be okay. "I" for one, am satisfied with 140 cars. PCars had maybe 100 itself starting out and even though it's an arcade racer, The NFS games never had a HUGE car count. 140 is more than enough for me. Especially if they're all Grade A quality.

I am curious to know what the remaining 90+ cars are.. Hopefully we'll be getting some Super GT, some classic JGTC, and some LMGTP (although like Samus said, it seems like they aren't trying to go any farther back than 2009 so I'm not gonna hold my breath) I do hope indeed we get the Quattro E-Tron, TS040, And some LMP2 cars.

Back