Should VGT go die?

Should the Vision GT cars just stop existing?

• Yarp

Votes: 103 42.7%
  • Narp

Votes: 138 57.3%

• Total voters
England
Newcastle
Flash_Mexxy
I'm struggling to take PD seriously. How are we meant to respect this as a proper FIA sanctioned game when half the cars are either fictional versions or don't exist at all like with the Vision GTs. Why can't they just put their hands in their pockets and get some actual licenses for the cars that are used in real life? Give me some real LMPs, GT3s, GTEs GT500s hell even old GT1s, they must be cheap by now right?

I smell Assetto Corsa being my next sim racer. Is it just me or is PD somehow moving further away from real world stuff even with all these announcements?

"when half the cars are either fictional versions or don't exist at all like with the Vision GTs"
GTS will have 68 fictional and VGT cars?

We should wait for the full car list.

It could do. ~20 VGT cars, some of them having a Gr1. version, and then all of the other fictional Group cars.
It could you are right but i think we should wait for the full car list
And like i said in a other thread "it's not the first time that a GT game have concept cars or special cars."

It could you are right but i think we should wait for the full car list
And like i said in a other thread "it's not the first time that a GT game have concept cars or special cars."

No but it'll be the first game they potentially dominate the car list. We'll see indeed.

Well at least in GT Sport they're trying to compensate for the lack of real race cars by turning some VGTs into race VGTs that can follow class regulations though.

So I should say no. And with the release of the Bugatti VGT and Hyundai VGT, at least those are sensible enough to be on the race track not like the Chevy Chapparal VGT. Take the Mazda LM55 for example, with the specs of that car, it can used for LMP1 though. Another example would be the Toyota FT-1 VGT. That can work also with GT3s though. I'd say VGT should die once all of the manufacturers listed for VGT is done making their own VGTs though.

Edit: There should be at least an neutral option for this poll because I think there are those who are like "meh, doesn't matter. At least let PD continue doing VGTs until all the manufacturers listed for VGT are done making their own VGT." But that's my suggestion though.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is PD somehow moving further away from real world stuff even with all these announcements?
I'm sorry, but GT was never exactly the forefront of realistic cars and situations. GT1 + 2 had arcade physics, 3 + 4 had a bunch of made up race cars, 5 had the red bull cars and some other made up race cars, and 6 and GTS have VGT'S and some made up race cars. They aren't straying away from something they have never truly been devoted to.

Nothing stopping you from playing Assetto Corsa.

Honestly... why must people have the mindset of "I must only play this one title, and nothing else"?

Because I'm looking for a specific experience that emulates real world racing. I like using real stuff. Rather than buff out classes with actual cars they've either made their own versions or used VGT's.

"when half the cars are either fictional versions or don't exist at all like with the Vision GTs"
GTS will have 68 fictional and VGT cars?

We should wait for the full car list.

Just a turn of phrase but from what we've seen it doesn't bode well.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the fictional cars changes things up a bit imo. Makes the game feel different, GT has the VGTs, Forza has those fallout and hot wheels cars, PCARS has those made up LMPs etc

Anyways GT has had fictional cars for ages now, from that smiley face on wheels and the licence letters in 1 and 2, to those open wheelers in GT3 and 4 and the Vettel time machine in GT5

I'm sorry, but GT was never exactly the forefront of realistic cars and situations. GT1 + 2 had arcade physics, 3 + 4 had a bunch of made up race cars, 5 had the red bull cars and some other made up race cars, and 6 and GTS have VGT'S and some made up race cars. They aren't straying away from something they have never truly been devoted to.

GT1+2 physics were a result of the hardware. 3+4 had made up race cars but they were the backed up by hundreds of real cars. Likewise for GT5+6, they had "1000" and "1200" cars, the made up cars were a small minority.

I'm not going to work out the percentages but I'd strongly wager than it'll much a much higher swing towards fictional/unreal cars in GTS than any other GT game. So it's a valid observation.

VGT cars are real. They might not be road leagal but they're just as real as the Ford GT90 (that we had in GT4 I think).

They're not "fantasy" cars like those you find in Ridge Racer Type 4 or GTA games.

And yes, I like to have them in Gran Turismo. And I don't mind having more. But of course I would like PD to prioritize "normal" road legal/official racing cars.

Totally get what you're saying here. It all just seemed to come together well imo. There was no such thing as realistic physics until relatively recently though, and as tuey keep banging on about 'the real driving simulator' you'd think they'd get around to making good on it =/

VGT cars are real. They might not be road leagal but they're just as real as the Ford GT90 (that we had in GT4 I think).

They're not "fantasy" cars like those you find in Ridge Racer Type 4 or GTA games.

And yes, I like to have them in Gran Turismo. And I don't mind having more. But of course I would like PD to prioritize "normal" road legal/official racing cars.

You mean except for the ones that literally say in their marketing spiel that they contain technology not invented yet? Yeah, totally real.

As far as I know none of the VGTs have been demonstrated as real at the full performance as seen in GT. The Bugatti has running gear but I've only seen it move at 5mph. The rest exist as clay models, some not even at full scale.

Last edited:
GT1+2 physics were a result of the hardware. 3+4 had made up race cars but they were the backed up by hundreds of real cars. Likewise for GT5+6, they had "1000" and "1200" cars, the made up cars were a small minority.

I'm not going to work out the percentages but I'd strongly wager than it'll much a much higher swing towards fictional/unreal cars in GTS than any other GT game. So it's a valid observation.
Fair enough, but I really don't think VGT's are going to remain the focus of these games through to GT7. Either way, PD really doesn't seem to be straying any further from their roots to me. Somewhat heavy handed pioneers.
Totally get what you're saying here. It all just seemed to come together well imo. There was no such thing as realistic physics until relatively recently though, and as tuey keep banging on about 'the real driving simulator' you'd think they'd get around to making good on it =/
Also fair enough, but to be fair that tag line is a piece of marketing from the 90s. They actually seem to be dropping it as of late.

Gran Turismo has always had fictional vehicles though. The LM Editions have been there since GT1 and continue to be there.

Stop with the iRacing ****. I don't have a PC or the money to play it.
You aren't clever just childish pointing that out.

Calm down.

Because I'm looking for a specific experience that emulates real world racing. I like using real stuff. Rather than buff out classes with actual cars they've either made their own versions or used VGT's.

iRacing does that. More than any other sim on the market.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo has always had fictional vehicles though. The LM Editions have been there since GT1 and continue to be there.

Calm down.

iRacing does that. More than any other sim on the market.

I'm not saying it hasn't, they have always been interesting but weren't the focus.
As for iRacing, I'm a console gamer. I know it exists but I pointed out Asetto Corsa for a reason. If I wanted to talk about iRacing I'd do it elsewhere.

The Ford GT90 was a tangible, running-ish model (even made it on classic Top Gear) that previewed the styling direction for Ford for the next half of a decade.

In comparison, there are cars like the Chaparral, which is 30 years removed from being related to anything to the Chaparral of old. Or the SRT, with its amazing full body active aerodynamics package brought to you by the guys who put superchargers on 4200 pound sedans. Or Volkswagen, who haven't produced anything but conservative refreshes of designs from the beginning of the last decade but showed up with a Volkwagen Cabriolet crossed with the GT by Citroen. Or Nike, for the second time. Automakers do occasionally trot those sorts of cars out on the car show circuit themselves, but then again they are also generally ignored.

Other than having a licenced manufacturer's name on it (and the combined weight of marketing departments), there's little difference. Nowadays the people who design car models for videogames might have even gone to the same schools and be versed in the same software as the people who design cars for car manufacturers. They might not have quite the same overall skillset or understanding of engineering, but that hardly matters when we're talking about design student orgasm cars that most of the VGT project has ended up as so far. Vision GT cars aren't any better or worse than any other car made up for a videogame, including the ones PD have made themselves or partnered with people to make before. Perhaps less derivative, since usually fantasy cars are done for the purposes of skirting licencing, but not always; and it's not like automotive industry car designers don't dip into that well themselves anyway.

For that matter:
516448792_ec8955aafd_o.jpg

gta-5-bravado-banshee-west-coast-customs.jpg

Last edited:

If they aren't road legal or in production they won't qualify for most racing classes other than prototype. Unless they are built to the exact specifications of the prototype classes they won't fit into those categories either. Their inclusion in specific classes of race cars in an FIA sponsored game is a bit unusual no? Especially since they went to such lengths to promote FIA certification for tracks? Does that certification also apply to cars within the game?

...While I've nothing against VGTs at all (all hail Alpine VGTs!!) they do stick out like a sore thumb in the small list of cars, doesn't it. Since the entirety of the list hasn't been unveiled yet, I'll hold my judgment until then but my gut tells me all the VGTs in GT6 plus the upcoming ones will feature heavily in GT:S in some form or the other.

I'm also interested in PDI's DLC plans going forward - will it be like GT6 where it'll be dominated by VGTs with only a small smattering of "real" cars? What about tracks?

I wonder...

Nothing stopping you from playing Assetto Corsa.

Honestly... why must people have the mindset of "I must only play this one title, and nothing else"?

Then go play iRacing instead.

I love when people complain about features that they don't like and then extend it to everyone not liking it. There are other sim games besides GT.
Since when is, "go play another game" an acceptable response in the GTS discussion forum?

I love when people complain about features that they don't like and then extend it to everyone not liking it. There are other sim games besides GT.
GT Is the one I have though, and the one I have always liked... This is a GT forum..
I've already said I lile the look of Asetto Corsa.
Pcars didn't do it for me either.
I'm not loaded with cash either, I have to make a decision about which I play and can't just go play every game on the market.

Since when is, "go play another game" an acceptable response in the GTS discussion forum?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Back