Rubberbanding AI?

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
I wouldn't have spotted this without the help of @Zlork so all credit goes to him for pointing out in this post how close the AI are at the end. Here's a one lap race from the Copperbox event with the AI at it's highest level. Player goes from 12th to 1st in 4 minutes, slicing through the field in true GT style even while getting held up by running into the back of many of the cars. Somehow, at the end of the race, the 2nd-4th place cars are all within 2.5 seconds in spite of the driver running a pretty smooth and major error free last half of the lap. It appears to indicate that rubberbanding is still a part of GT AI programming. Could this mean that rubberbanding is a part of this FIA sponsored racing/driving game?

Appropriate videos in spoilers to not clutter up the OP:

Note: The usual caveats apply. Game not finished. Might be a slider or adjustment of some kind etc.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have spotted this without the help of @Zlork so all credit goes to him for pointing out in this post how close the AI are at the end. Here's a one lap race from the Copperbox event with the AI at it's highest level. Player goes from 12th to 1st in 4 minutes, slicing through the field in true GT style even while getting held up by running into the back of many of the cars. Somehow, at the end of the race, the 2nd-4th place cars are all within 2.5 seconds in spite of the driver running a pretty smooth and major error free last half of the lap. It appears to indicate that rubberbanding is still a part of GT AI programming. Could this mean that rubberbanding is a part of this FIA sponsored racing/driving game?

Appropriate videos in spoilers to not clutter up the OP:

Note: The usual caveats apply. Game not finished. Might be a slider or adjustment of some kind etc.

Something fishy happens after the first pass where you cannot see any car in the mirror and at 6:46 you can see the cars coming closer and closer, very weird.

Maybe the cars passed, worked together and slipstreamed to catch up with the leaders. Pretty "smart" "AI". A very "calculated" move. :sly:

To be fair, PD proved they could innovate AI with the introduction of B Spec in GT6. The history of it seems that the AI was first used and tested on seasonal events where people laughed at AI being overly aggressive and making a lot of mistakes, then was removed from seasonals to be introduced into B Spec. The sad part is no races use this AI except your own pilot you're monitoring when you race in B Spec. it had pitential and was a good base to work on, slipstream function seemed to work well, and the most impressive was the overtake function which worked almost everytime and sometimes unexpectedly :
I had hoped PD would continue to work on that new B Spec AI base and improve it by making the AI a little bit more intelligent on some corners and implement an intelligent use of the splistream and overtake function. Seems like PD made, expectedly, the wrong move by taking the slow AI from GT6 and it seems to be the exact copy of it with still rubber-banding to add to the already ugly picture.

oh not again!! ..what is the power of a PS4 actually being used on?

Rubber bands, actually. PS3 could reportedly compute 300 Million triangles per second.
PS4 can reportedly do 400 Trillion rubber bands per second. Hence the necessary 'rubberbanding' in GTS. If they've gottem then it would be criminal not to use such programming.

Disclaimer - I have no evidence for this.

There is discussion about improved AI in the General Discussion thread. Dissecting AI in the demos that show fighting for position. This is more to do with the type of AI GTS should have.

Many people will not touch another racing game that is not GT. Some won't care. Some are curious, but don't have the money, time to invest in a different game just yet.

I loaded up PCars on my XBONE. Did a quick 5 minute race at Donington. I just wanted to show players what it looks like to race against challenging AI.

Keep in mind, at the start, I had a couple offs. Previous to this race I had been using a higher downforce Ginetta GT4 and a better handling Aston Martin Vantage GT4. :D

Car: #75 Kapp Mustang GT4
AI: 100
Controller
38 car grid.

Yes it's the same as GT6.

AI car in front of you - drives pretty slowly within the physics of the game and are easy to pass.
AI car behind you - suspiciously manages to drive much faster whilst you can't properly see it.

Over a single lap of the ring the difference in AI laptime could be over 90 seconds in GT6, depending whether you sat behind them or went in front. It's PDs way to artificially make you think you're having a good, close race when really it's just being fudged. It's rather hard to prove but I'm sure they're not following the normal physics engine when they are behind you.

Yes it's the same as GT6.

AI car in front of you - drives pretty slowly within the physics of the game and are easy to pass.
AI car behind you - suspiciously manages to drive much faster whilst you can't properly see it.

Over a single lap of the ring the difference in AI laptime could be over 90 seconds in GT6, depending whether you sat behind them or went in front. It's PDs way to artificially make you think you're having a good, close race when really it's just being fudged. It's rather hard to prove but I'm sure they're not following the normal physics engine when they are behind you.

I wonder if you can switch to view the AI cars in the replay mode. I imagine you can, actually, I'm just not sure if anyone's tried it, or indeed, if it's available in these demo builds. Either way, it would be useful if someone could capture some AI driving with the HUD visible, to see what sort of speeds they might be carrying through corners or along straights when they're in super high speed catch up mode.

Could this mean that rubberbanding is a part of this FIA sponsored racing/driving game?
Not necessarily, maybe they just keep the public beta as simple as possible or are working on the new AI code. Real AI strength could come in the final version.

Could, could, could, could...

But it won't. :P

Joking aside, I would rather see them polishing online segment of the game to very last detail as this will be the main highlight of the game, presumably.

Here's a one lap race from the Copperbox event with the AI at it's highest level. Player goes from 12th to 1st in 4 minutes, slicing through the field in true GT style even while getting held up by running into the back of many of the cars. Somehow, at the end of the race, the 2nd-4th place cars are all within 2.5 seconds in spite of the driver running a pretty smooth and major error free last half of the lap. It appears to indicate that rubberbanding is still a part of GT AI programming.

Great. Just great. Rubberbanding and the incredibly stupid 1-lap banzai attack race format are the 2 main reasons I lost interest in Gran Turismo. Looks like I'm staying disinterested.

Great. Just great. Rubberbanding and the incredibly stupid 1-lap banzai attack race format are the 2 main reasons I lost interest in Gran Turismo. Looks like I'm staying disinterested.
To be fair, we don't know if this is representative of the final build, nor how adjustable the difficulty levels will be. Hope for the best I guess but we can only go on what we've seen so far and it doesn't look good for anyone with even basic driving skills.

Back