Lost Motorsport Talents

J_Starscream

(Banned)
United Kingdom
Anglo-Swiss
J_Starscream
I believe this part of the forum is the best place to put this?

Formula 1 has had a plethora of incredible drivers from both today and from the past, from the likes of Juan Manuel Fangio back when F1 was starting out to the mesmerizing skill of Ayrton Senna. But there are many drivers out there who never made it to the top step of the motor racing world, but damn well deserved to. That is what this thread is here for - to discuss the 'Lost Talents' of Formula One.

Simple fact is you need the money/politics/friends/car to really take the top spot in Formula 1 (at least the past 10-15 years). Plenty of great drivers without money, or without the right car, etc. It happens. I'm curious what people think.

I think Juan Pablo Montoya, Sebastian Bourdais etc. are some great drivers who didn't show much in F1.

In terms of drivers that didn't get into F1 but should of:

Will Power
Scott Dixon
AJ Allmendinger
Andre Lotter(his 1 drive was obviously too late and for a team that didn't really have a car to show anything).

Plenty more but that is all that is coming to me atm.

Nico Hulkenberg has been forced into bad cars despite the fact he has obviously deserved much better for some years.
Others in recent years include JE Vergne, Kamui Kobayashi, Timo Glock, Buemi & Algersuari.

More notably for the wrong reasons, Robert Kubica and of course, Jules Bianchi

To be fair on Timo Glock that was his choice, he was actually getting paid good money to drive for Virgin.

I would rank Kobayashi's career being wasted more then Hulkenburg, he is now just getting flat out performed by Perez.

Kobayashi was forced out purely by money, he held a qualifying advantage and completely destroyed Perez(who imo took advantage of the loopy tyre situation in the first half) In the 2nd half of 2012.

Nico Hulkenberg has been forced into bad cars despite the fact he has obviously deserved much better for some years.
Others in recent years include JE Vergne, Kamui Kobayashi, Timo Glock, Buemi & Algersuari.

Would agree with Hulkenberg, the rest I'm not sure on, although I do believe Vergne and Kamui should have got more of a chance.

But yeah, Alonso on two World Champions is a shame, I still believe he is the best driver of this generation, his 2012 season was greatness and only lost IMO because he was taken out a couple of times in the second half.

Kamui Kabayashi if only for the last lap of Valencia 2011. I fell off F1 for a few years and I was shocked when I can back to find out he wasn't in a big time ride. Hopefully Pascal Werhlien gets a ride or he'll be next on the list. I personally think Juan Pablo Montoya may be the best all round driver ever, he had less than stellar equipment in F1 and Nascar. Steffan Bellof is a big one, he showed he was great for a hot second and then tragically passed away.

I'd imagine there are several sportscar drivers who have plenty of raw talent to have muscled an F1 car around in their prime. Scott Pruett, Tom Kristensen come to mind.

Regardless of what he has done in his career, Fernando Alonso has suffered the biggest misuse of talent in the history of Formula One.

"Misuse" wouldn't really be the word; had it not been for an impetuous start by Grosjean at Spa, Alonso would have probably won the 2012 title. I think he let the 2010 title slip away, but late-season Ferrari development was also not as strong as Red Bull's. Two titles puts him in pretty good company...for example, Emerson Fittipaldi won two titles and was second in '73. Ronnie Peterson was a stronger teammate than expected; had there been team orders at Lotus, one of them might have reeled in Jackie Stewart. McLaren development stalled a bit in '75 while Lauda and Ferrari were dominant. Then, he chooses to drive for his own team, and that was pretty much the end of his F1 competitiveness.

So that brings us to Peterson...what might have been? Hard to call him "lost", but really could have been a world champion. He was ready to sign for a McLaren which was headed for the doldrums, although they hit their form again in mid-1981 through '82.

Chris Amon signed for teams while in their zenith, but managed to drive for them while they were in their nadir.

What might of been of Lorenzo Bandini?

Pete Arundell had a great start to his career in 1964, after a meteoric rise in Formula Junior, he was Jim Clark's teammate, but suffered a injuries midway through the season in an off-weekend F2 race. He was never the same again.

What might Vic Elford, Brian Redman, Derek Bell, or even Gijs van Lennep done with more serious campaigns in F1? All were quite talented sports-car aces.

Tony Brise was driving for Graham Hill until that fateful day in November 1975.

Jean-Pierre Jarier never drove for a top team. A couple of podiums, but otherwise a bit of a super-sub.

Jean Alesi managed to wrestle the best out of promising machinery early on, but Ferrari was still a bit hapless in the mid-1990s.

Alessandro Nannini was on the rise until that stupid helicopter crash. He was challenging Senna wheel-to-wheel during a few races (Hockenheim, Hungary) in 1990.

Gabriele Tarquini drove some of the worst machinery in the paddock and qualified it well on some occasions. When your career consists of Coloni, AGS, Osella, and Fondmetal and you still manage a few qualifiers midway up the grid, that takes some skill; having tough out the hour-long Friday morning DNPQ battle royales probably weren't great on reliability, either. Eighth place with a Coloni at Montreal and 6th in an AGS on a bumpy power circuit like Mexico City couldn't have been easy.

Anthony Davidson. How to improve without a full-time drive?

Kamui Kobayashi...nobody picked this guy up?

And then there's the fellows who never tried their hand in F1...Walter Rohl, Klaus Ludwig, Kelvin Burt, Gil de Ferran, Tony Kanaan, probably another 20-30 others who might have had what it takes, but found their form in other series. F1 is but one peak in the motorsport mountain range, and sometimes your star just fades quickly.

Going down the grids, there's dozens of promising talent that deserved a second or even a third chance, but ever-smaller paddocks and less testing opportunities will only create more of these situations.

Last edited:
I thought about fatalities and my mind immediately went to Wolfgang Von Trips. That guy was well on the way to the title, probably would have netted a few more too.

Rubens Barrichello, Jules Bianchi, Fernando Alonso, Gilles Villeneuve, Jim Clark, Alexander Rossi (if he doesn't come back to F1), Mark Webber (to an extent). All worthy of more than what they got in F1, to me anyway.

In a way you could also say Jackie Stewart himself became a lost talent due to retiring from the sport

True, but he took three WDCs (nearly took 5), I'd say that in his own mind he probably fulfilled his potential given that he realised he would most likely die if he continued.

I can think of two American superstars that would have had the resources to succeed but both decided to stay over here: Parnelli Jones (who had a drive offered to him by Colin Chapman but refused it because he wasn't interested in serving as Jim Clark's #2) and Rick Mears (who impressed a lot of folks in tests with Brabham at Paul Ricard and Riverside - and actually went a little quicker than Nelson Piquet at the latter! - but decided he enjoyed ovals too much to give them up altogether). In fact, Herbie Blash, who was at Mears' tests as a mechanic and is now with the FIA, has gone so far as to call him "the lost world champion."

a34e481c190f518f21b891b4a78c7ab4.jpg

817ab0ca795df5b6b61a816e85d3f46f.jpg

Montoya comes to mind, guy had such a talent in terms of raw speed and qualifying. Unfortunately for him he came along right in the middle of Schumacher's reign of terror.

I remember hearing Lamui was dropped cuz Saiber was worried he would destroy their cars with his crazy overtakes.... It's a shame too because we see similar moves from Max Verstappen and call them brilliant while Kobayashi was called dangerous...

I remember hearing Lamui was dropped cuz Saiber was worried he would destroy their cars with his crazy overtakes.... It's a shame too because we see similar moves from Max Verstappen and call them brilliant while Kobayashi was called dangerous...
This is complete nonsense, the only two incidents he had that I even remember him being at fault was Canada 2010 at the wall of champions and Turkey 2011 when he slid into Buemi trying to overtake him which gave him a puncture, which was a huge shame too as he had gotten up to 6th at this point despite starting from the pits.

Last edited:
Back