full

Mazda 787B '91

full

Circuit de la Sarthe 2005 (No Chicanes)

:: Only Open to Qualified GTP_Registered Members ::

:: Members are not obligated to take part ::

Race Details:
  • Mode: Arcade Mode > Single Player > Time Trial
  • Track: World Circuits > Circuit de la Sarthe 2005 (No Chicanes)
  • Car Type: Garage/Favorites Car
  • Make: Japan > Mazda
  • Model: 787B '91
  • Power: 831 bhp (including oil change)
  • Weight: 830 kg
  • PP: 683
  • Credits: 2.100.000
Driving Options:
  • Transmission: Auto or Manual
  • Tires: Racing Hard
  • Driving Line | Traction Control | ASM | ABS: Optional
  • Brake Balance: Optional
  • Active Steering | Skid Recovery Force: Prohibited
  • Tuning: Allowed. All adjustable parts are allowed to be changed. Including Ballast. No Power Upgrade Parts Allowed
  • Improve Body Rigidity: Allowed
  • In-Race RA Functions: Allowed
  • Custom Wheels and Paint: Not Available
Course Settings:
  • Grip Reduction on Track Edge: Real

full

Race Specifics:
  • The event MUST be run using your registered account
  • The use of the clutch that is found on the G25, G27, and other high end racing wheels is strictly prohibited.
  • Use of the Handbrake is Prohibited.
  • No Contact with walls or other objects. Any contact with walls, no matter how minor, will result in a DQ. This includes cones and bollards!
  • Tarmac and Blue and Yellow Rumble Strips are Track
  • No Other Surfaces are Track. See Below Details for additional boundary clarification.
  • Those who use these runoff areas without keeping at least 2 wheels on Tarmac or Rumble Strips will be DQ'd.
full

Steward's Comments:

24 Hours of Le Mans
The 59th 24 Hours of Le Mans which was round 4 of the World Sportscar Championship was the first time the race took place at the entirely new pit complex much to the pleasure of pit crews and drivers, after several years of having to use the notoriously cramped area, which became associated with the film Le Mans (film).

Mazdaspeed entered three cars and a spare. One of them was a 787 from the previous year, numbered #56, driven by Dieudonné, Yorino and Terada and two brand new 787B's. One of them was driven by Maurizio Sandro Sala who replaced the newly retired Katayama, Johansson and Kennedy numbered #18 (001) and the #55 (002) car of Weidler, Herbert and Gachot making its only appearance in its only race.

Unlike the other two cars which were painted in their standard blue stripes on white livery, #55 had an outrageous bright orange and green scheme in honour of a main sponsor, Renown, a Japanese clothing manufacturer which had been supporting the team since 1988 by providing all their clothing for the events.

The spare car was another 787 from the previous year and also qualified, but took no further part in the event.

Mazda was not the favourite to win, but the three Mazdas started on 19th (#55), 23rd (#18) and 30th (#56), despite being the 12th, 17th and 24th fastest qualifiers respectively. The new 3.5 litre cars were given the first grid positions, moving everyone else back by seven places. On the day before the race, team manager Ohashi decided to drop his usual conservative strategy and instructed the drivers of the #55 car to drive as if it were a short sprint race.

The decision was made based on the reliability of the cars demonstrated in the Paul Ricard tests, as well as the car's exceptional fuel economy, which meant that the carefully learned driving techniques intended to preserve the fuel allowance were no longer a critical part of the team's strategy.

In the early stages of the race, the #55 car made its way to third place with the #18 car behind it 2 laps down. The #18 had a lower gear ratio setup meaning the car used less fuel but was 20 km/h (12 mph) slower. The #55 moved into second place when the Mercedes-Benz C11 of Michael Schumacher, Fritz Kreutzpointner and Karl Wendlinger spun off and later pitted with a gearbox problem. It soon became obvious that the leading car had slowed down to preserve its fuel allowance and an air of disbelief spread around the Mazda pit as it became obvious with six hours to run that there was a chance of victory.

At the 22nd hour, fate took a hand and the #55 car took the lead after the C11 of Alain Ferte was forced to pit with mechanical problems. At the last pit-stop, Herbert asked to stay in the car, and went on to take the 787B across the finish line first, completing 362 laps and covering 4932.2 km (both new records for the recently modified circuit). The two other cars finished sixth (#18) and eighth (#56). Three Jaguar XJR-12s and a sole Mercedes filled out positions two through five.

Herbert was so dehydrated that he had to be assisted out of the car and taken to the circuit's medical centre. As a result, he was unable to make it to the podium, leaving Weidler and Gachot to take up the celebrations. He later commented in a magazine interview that some “dodgy” spaghetti he ate before his shift was the cause, but it is more likely that his drink bottle wasn't replenished when he chose to stay in the car for the remaining 40 minutes of the race. The replacement driver would normally carry his own bottle into the car during a changeover as they all had their own preferred drinks.

The winning car ran without a hitch apart from a blown headlamp bulb and a precautionary rear wheel bearing change on the driver's side of the car, when a regular check during a pit-stop showed it to be overheating slightly.

Viewing your T1 through T5 Time Splits:

• You need to make sure you save the 'Save Best Lap Replay' (ghost replay), not the 'Save Replay' (See pic below)
  • To view your best lap replay, go to 'My Home' and watch the replay from there using the 'Gallery' option.
  • Live timing monitor does not work properly, so we have to use a small trick to view splits.
  • While viewing your Replay, pause the lap by hitting start, before the end of the first sector.
  • While keeping the replay paused, advance the replay, using the forward arrow on the replay HUD. This will advance the replay to the end of the first sector. That's your T1 split, write it down.
  • Advance the replay again. That will show the lap to date time on the screen, this is your first and second sector time, added together.
  • To post your T1 & T2 Splits, simply post the lap to date times that are shown in the middle of the screen. Do not try to calculate the actual T2 split time, the Fetchbot will do that for you.
SaveBestLapIcon.png

(Best Lap Replay Icon)

full

Standard Clean OLR Rules:

• At Least 2 Tires must be in contact with track at all times.

• In situations where contact with the track is not possible because tires are airborne (above the ground), then the run is only legal if at least two tires in-line would have made contact with the track if the car were not airborne.
    • If track contact cannot be 100% determined, then consider it dirty.
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track.
  • No contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • If you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind,these are relaxed races and we are experienced racers, we know what times can be done,and we can read your mind.We will know.
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
Thread rules:

The following information cannot be discussed in this thread (they can, however, be discussed on IM services or via other private conversation methods):

• Total Lap Time
  • Any information which can be used to infer your total laptime
The following information can be discussed in this thread :

• The first 5 splits: T1 through T5 times
  • Any settings discussion

full
Submission:
All submissions must be sent by PM (Subject title: GTP_WRS Week 126 Submission) to (WRSFetchbot):
  • Then attach your 'Best Lap'/'Ghost' replay in zip file form. Everyone submits a replay instead of listing a lap time.
  • You will need to put something in the message body in order to begin a conversation. It doesn't matter what you put, it can even be 1 letter or symbol. Nobody but the Fetchbot is going to see it, so it's sort of pointless, anyhow.
  • You will get an automated response within 15min, letting you know whether your submission was accepted, or if you had an error.
  • If you have an error, don't panic. Just review the instructions for submission and submit again. If you are having trouble and cannot figure it out, please post your question in the race thread.
  • Users can ask the bot for the current submitted time by sending a message with the Subject: "GTP_WRS Week XX Get Entry" and any text in the body.
  • Users can delete their submitted time by sending a message with the Subject: "GTP_WRS Week XX Remove Entry" and any text in the body.
  • If you want to submit multiple times in the week that is still not a problem. Just reply to the conversation with your new time and new replay. Fetchy always uses the last submitted time as the final one.
  • See this screenshot as an example on how to submit:

• The deadline is Monday, June 20th 11:59pm GMT
  • If you are unsure of the deadline try this site

Why Use GMT?:

GMT is World Time and the basis of every world time zone which sets the time of day and is at the centre of the time zone map. GMT sets current time or official time around the globe. Most time changes are measured by GMT. Although GMT has been replaced by atomic time (UTC) it is still widely regarded as the correct time for every international time zone.

Replay Checking:
  • Everyone is required to submit a replay for verification. This happens when you submit to the Fetchbot, and the replays will be visible in the leaderboard, once we've reached the event deadline
  • Participants will be expected to check each others' replays for cleanliness, for replays marked in the Results thread as (Check Needed)
  • Video replays are not accepted as a form of verification
Here's Johnny.jpg
Good luck, :gtplanet:
OLR Team

I've had a question for a long time: if cones are already knocked over would every following lap be invalid? If not, are we allowed to go where they normally would be?

Just check the replay of your best lap and see cones are back even though they're moved during lapping. So in replay you hit them again -> dirty lap. Don't hit them.

Just check the replay of your best lap and see cones are back even though they're moved during lapping. So in replay you hit them again -> dirty lap. Don't hit them.

Yes indeed, the replay is leading. All cones must be in their original place and you can not hit them. So for peace of mind I would just restart after hitting one.

Okay. If tarmac is track, does it follow that a lot of the checking is done by the game? For instance, in sector 1 there's a place where both sides of a rumble seem to be the same material (and colour).

Okay. If tarmac is track, does it follow that a lot of the checking is done by the game? For instance, in sector 1 there's a place where both sides of a rumble seem to be the same material (and colour).
Keep two wheels on the rumble strip and you'll be fine. 👍

To make absolutely clear which surfaces are clean and dirty, we have the specific track limit regulations in the spoiler tag in the OP. Green (on the left) = clean, red (on the right) = dirty. Beware of the rulings in Mulsanne corner for example.

full

Last edited:
To make absolutely clear which surfaces are clean and dirty, we have the specific track limit regulations in the spoiler tag in the OP. Green (on the left) = clean, red (on the right) = dirty. Beware of the rulings in Mulsanne corner for example.
I saw these pictures on my laptop this morning. The tint is not as clear as on this display.

Got 5 laps in tonight. Just kind of winging it on set up til the really fast guys show up :D

My last lap should have been my fastest, but i went off at the first Ford Chicane. Oh well, there's still a week left to try.

Split 1: 31.636
Split 2: 1:01.419
Split 3: 1:20.536
Split 4: 1:41.119
Split 5: 2:09.336

I was planning to do something different playing this week but this combo is too tempting to skip...
I did some tuning runs last night - it's a beast :ouch: but when you get hang of it its really fun to drive. Gonna do some more tuning runs before putting any splits here...

@GTP_Dutchy nice job showing all the different track boundaries with your pics. 👍

But I think the picture "Trackside right on entry to Mulsanne" is on the left side?

Actually they're @PASM pics so the kudos go to him i just stitched them together however i don't see a fault it's the right inside in the approach towards Mulsane. perhaps Bart can confirm that.

Right, I've done a lap so I can join the crew...

I can pick up a few tenths here and there if I have the balls to, and definitely pick up a second towards the end.

1'00.184
1'19.550
1'39.484
2'07.884

Max, how in the hell?..

OK, I am in! Only one posted tune so far?

I'm having trouble with stability under braking. The rear does not come loose but it pulls the car to one side or the other which makes for a disaster when braking to enter the Porsche curves. Using an unrealistically high LSD decal setting makes it mostly tolerable but I realize that is a Band-Aid and not the real problem. I'm happy to share it once it is stable.

Maybe @MadMax will share his setup at some point?

Last edited:
After spending 2 days working on a setup here are my initial splits

1'19.184
1'38.917
2'07.134

I don't really know what I'm doing I just kept at it until I thought the car was close to balanced and felt secure enough to make consistent laps. This may help some while we wait for some real setups to be posted.

84 84
min min
1 1
1 1
5 7
0.0 0.0
0.0 0.14

BB 5 / 2

LSD 5 / 10 / 9

DF 440 / 630

Back