Endurance Racing and Gran Turismo

United States
United States
I for one think that Endurance racing is always the best for of racing, spring races are exciting, but some of us who play Gran Turismo have, dare I say, a fetish, for the more longer side of racing. The one against the clock (or laps). Its been the same story as far back as Gran Turismo 2. You finish the entire "campaign" and now its the home stretch. Around 10, hopefully more, long, agonising, endurance events that tell your skill you learned threw out the game. With Gran Turismo 5 being the only game with dynamic time and weather over a 24 hour race, and Gran Turismo 6 having dynamic changes over 24 minutes, which were always predestined, and since gt sport is said to not be having dynamic weather, whats the future of Endurance racing going to be for Gran Turismo?

While the passing of time and unpredictable weather can play a huge part in endurance racing I will be more than content to be able to just setup long races. Having to pick the time and weather prior to the race is disappointing, and hardly ideal, but once we can choose to race at night and have it rain it'll be ok.

One of my favourite things about endurance racing in PCars is racing through a sunset, so for the foreseeable future PCars will be the place for the most authentic and immersive endurance experience.

Last edited:
As a kid the Endurance races of GT were challenging and fun but as an adult I can honestly see them for what they are, just driving for x hours. By that I mean the challenges of a real endurance all are gone. There is little/no damage to punish you for a lapse in concentration 6 hours in, there are no mechanical issues to worry about, no having to work around cars in other classes. The AI are not going to cause you a problem unless you handicap yourself badly so It really does just amount to driving, rather tediously, for those x hours.

I for one think that Endurance racing is always the best for of racing, spring races are exciting, but some of us who play Gran Turismo have, dare I say, a fetish, for the more longer side of racing. The one against the clock (or laps). Its been the same story as far back as Gran Turismo 2. You finish the entire "campaign" and now its the home stretch. Around 10, hopefully more, long, agonising, endurance events that tell your skill you learned threw out the game. With Gran Turismo 5 being the only game with dynamic time and weather over a 24 hour race, and Gran Turismo 6 having dynamic changes over 24 minutes, which were always predestined, and since gt sport is said to not be having dynamic weather, whats the future of Endurance racing going to be for Gran Turismo?
Well, you know there is no offline career right? So there won't be any "events" endurance or otherwise outside of the included learning and etiquette tests. Perhaps you'll be able to set them up in Arcade Mode but it's already confirmed that there is a game economy and, in the past at least, Arcade Mode didn't pay any winnings so you'll be racing on your own dime so to speak.

As a kid the Endurance races of GT were challenging and fun but as an adult I can honestly see them for what they are, just driving for x hours. By that I mean the challenges of a real endurance all are gone. There is little/no damage to punish you for a lapse in concentration 6 hours in, there are no mechanical issues to worry about, no having to work around cars in other classes. The AI are not going to cause you a problem unless you handicap yourself badly so It really does just amount to driving, rather tediously, for those x hours.
You do realise that some of us that do Endurance races tend to make them hard to win don't you?

You do realise that some of us that do Endurance races tend to make them hard to win don't you?
Yes but without the things I mentioned it really isn't the same. It only tests your endurance and not even that if you pause or even save mid race.

Nothing wrong with pausing every couple of hours. That's stint time.
Anyway, Endurance racing in why GT5 is still in my PS3 drive bay. I've always wanted damage, at least to force you to pit for repairs, if not end your race - something Indy 500 did on the Amiga back in the day.

GT5's endurance races for me were done real time, with a wheel, no pausing, no assists and with "teammates" was fantastic fun. Proper stint lengths as well, quadruple stinting and trying hard to beat each other. Great experience.

There was a screenshot that showed some final of some championship being a 24 hour race.
I'm still puzzled how that is going to work given we've been told there are no dynamic TOD or weather changes in GTS.

I'm with @Scuderia Paul. PCARS gives me the most authentic endurance racing.

Screenshot%207_zpsancdvujj.png

They moved away from Endurance races in GT6. Safe to say they won't be in Sport

I wonder, if endurance races are present in GT Sport, whether human driver swaps will be possible?

This is my main concern, was GT6's biggest failing for me.
Totally agreed but endurance in GT6 would be a joke with the incompetent AI. So, me thinks the latter forbid the former in the end and we lost the chance to get the best ever GT game in PS3 as all the other cons were too minor to bother with if AI was good and endurance was present... :(

I wonder, if endurance races are present in GT Sport, whether human driver swaps will be possible?
Human driver swaps.. It'd be interesting. - and potentially a huge disaster if your teammate goes afk in the wrong moment / decides to ditch you. But I'm all in for that idea.

I do endurance races in GT6 frequently.

Arcade mode.
Set your number of laps (up to 99), or Set at infinite and race for as long as you want.
The AI is actually quite good in Arcade mode in GT6 since the updates back at 1.12 or 1.15 (I think)

I see no reason it should be different in GTS

For endurance races in new gen I'm in with @Scuderia Paul, Project C.A.R.S is a must have for endurance fans.

Dynamic weather conditions, dynamic real life day -night cycle.
Up to 45 cars on track..
Mechanical and visual damage (you can even break your lights in a crash)
Ability to set the difficulty of AI on your driving skills level or above.
Track and ambient temperature that influence on your tyres..

And doing the 24 real hours of le mans with LMP 1, LMP 2 and GT3 on track is amazing..

And all the other endurance races and championships in career mode.. 25H nurburgring,25H bathurst, 3H zolder..WEC Championship...trination 1000 GT endurance cup...

Loving all endurance races in PC

A real shame that GT didn't put endurance races like GT4,GT5 in GT6....and now in GTS there's not even a normal GT mode offline.. Very sad :(

I'm thinking that the 24 hour race on GTS is going to be an invitational. You have to actually go to where the race is held and do it there.

Arcade mode.
Set your number of laps (up to 99), or Set at infinite and race for as long as you want.
The AI is actually quite good in Arcade mode in GT6 since the updates back at 1.12 or 1.15 (I think)

But there is no tyre wear or fuel use in arcade mode.
How is that endurance racing?

But there is no tyre wear or fuel use in arcade mode.
How is that endurance racing?

Personally I don't care for the fuel use.

Running 30-40 laps around somewhere like Bathurst, in GT3 SPec Cars with RH tyres, or GR.N with SS tyres, with variable weather and time is more than enough of a challenge.

Running 30-40 laps around somewhere like Bathurst, in GT3 SPec Cars with RH tyres, or GR.N with SS tyres, with variable weather and time is more than enough of a challenge.
Agreed with the fuel depletion but tire wear is the most important factor in endurance that is greatly affected by the setup and the chassis balance. They should include it in arcade mode too.

It's ironic how so many shortcomings seem to line up with your wants in the game. Without tire wear, fuel consumption and damage it's not really a simulation experience, it's an arcade or simcade experience. Hopefully GTS brings the option of an arcade/simcade experience for those that want it, and full on simulation for those that prefer something a little more in depth.

Shame there's no variable weather or time in GTS.

A real endurance race is just as much a war of attrition as it is a competition.

Imagine if in GT4 or 5 you pick the Chappie 2J, or Toyota 7, or you mount the Stage 4 turbo on a more reasonable choice. 20 Laps in and you have the field by a full circuit, but suddenly something is wrong, you start down Mulsanne but the car is bucking, smoke suddenly fills your rear view mirror as you pull into the grass.
Engine failure due to poor planning, or using a vehicle as it never was intended etc. And that is just one aspect I would like to see.

A real endurance race is just as much a war of attrition as it is a competition.

Imagine if in GT4 or 5 you pick the Chappie 2J, or Toyota 7, or you mount the Stage 4 turbo on a more reasonable choice. 20 Laps in and you have the field by a full circuit, but suddenly something is wrong, you start down Mulsanne but the car is bucking, smoke suddenly fills your rear view mirror as you pull into the grass.
Engine failure due to poor planning, or using a vehicle as it never was intended etc. And that is just one aspect I would like to see.

If you close to much the radiator, you get a bit more acceleration, but the engine heats to much till the engine is blowed up.
This happens due a por planning / training.
Same thing can happen with the brakes...you closes them to much and then you got overheating and brake failure.

Those things can happen in the endurance races of project C.A.R.S....

You've missed that the discussion I was having with Animera, was relevant to GT6

Was it just?

(snip)

It must have been your words that threw me off, referring to GTS and Group N cars and whatnot. My mistake.

Maybe one of the biggest reasons to move myself to iRacing was the endurance races. I discovered (too late) a new world of simracing. Winning the 24h of nurburgring in a multiclass race, driving a RUF, with only one team mate was epic for me, really hard but a pleasure, and it would be a shame IMO if GT Sport cannot offer a similar service. Even the lowest and medium splits are brilliant compared to my previous experiences on the online GT6 Rooms. I hope to see a big step on GTS but I'm too negative about it, because I doesn't like to much the few details I seen about it. Will see.

With no dynamic weather and light transitions the endurance experience won't be the same. Paying attention to your concentration and tires was enough several years ago, but nowadays more can (must) be achieved.

Latest Posts

Back