Gran Turismo Sport Cost versus Gran Turismo 4 Cost

• Thread starter PS2 GT4
  • 16 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
United States
I have to tell ya first, that yes, I'm a HUGE GT4 supporter and fan. Anyway, back then, GT cars didn't cost anyone "real hard earned money". In fact, my "free race earned" garage in GT4 probably would cost a small "real" fortune in today's world. Now, considering how well made GT4 was for it's time, and still is being 1080i graphics capable, and just overall being certainly one of the greatest racing game sims of all time, my question is..... Should I open up my bank account for a new PS4 and GTS ? I've read so many disappointments posted from the past about how GT5 and GT6 was disappointing to GT4 fans who had hoped for more. Makes me think GT4 was actually made "to good" for it's day considering no one was really thinking to sell cars for "real money" like the new app world does today. I guess we'll just have to wait and see come November 2016, but until then, GT4 still remains my fav...

Example: My GT4 in 1080i

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if you want another game like GT4 you shouldn't. The only modern game that you should consider is Forza Motorsport 6, but even that has advantages and disadvantages compared to GT4.

Like I said above, I'm a huge fan of the GT 1,2,3,4 series with 4 being my fav... I wanted to complete it 100% the old fashion way, which I did this year, before moving on to 5 and/or 6. By then the buzz was all about GT Sport. So doing some research today, I ran into this, cause I had no clue what to expect having been a die hard GT4 player through my final 100% completion plus some other goals I had to get my GT4 1000 Car Monster Garage... Anyway, for the new GTS, and I don't know about this, but If I had to guess, to get to final game completion with a full garage it's gonna cost real $$$$.00 for sure... I mean, if y'all add the cost of a PS4, then the game with all car costs if being similar to the below GT6 report, then the steering wheel and pedals, etc... well... that would be hmmmm... guessing close to 6 grand... Yikes !

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbern...new-gran-turis?utm_term=.xaLVjKRnV#.jcg6w1X96

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't cost real money to obtain cars in GT6. It was an option to pay for in-game credits. With seasonals and quickmatches, it's even easier to earn credita in the game now. In the current state of the game there is no point in spending real money.

As far as GT Sport goes, it has been stated that they wish to add cars to the game post-release, but possible pricing is still up in the air.

I have to tell ya first, that yes, I'm a HUGE GT4 supporter and fan. Anyway, back then, GT cars didn't cost anyone "real hard earned money". In fact, my "free race earned" garage in GT4 probably would cost a small "real" fortune in today's world. Now, considering how well made GT4 was for it's time, and still is being 1080i graphics capable, and just overall being certainly one of the greatest racing game sims of all time, my question is..... Should I open up my bank account for a new PS4 and GTS ? I've read so many disappointments posted from the past about how GT5 and GT6 was disappointing to GT4 fans who had hoped for more. Makes me think GT4 was actually made "to good" for it's day considering no one was really thinking to sell cars for "real money" like the new app world does today. I guess we'll just have to wait and see come November 2016, but until then, GT4 still remains my fav...

Example: My GT4 in 1080i

GT4 looks THAT good in 1080i? :drool: I honestly would have never thought that was GT4 had you not said so. Then again, maybe that's to do with the contrast and exposure since you're recording it off-screen.

As far as GTS vs GT4, we'll have to see. The only thing that's clear yet is that they're going to be vastly different games, so it may be your type of thing or it may not.

Not if you want another game like GT4 you shouldn't. The only modern game that you should consider is Forza Motorsport 6, but even that has advantages and disadvantages compared to GT4.

And to corroborate that, here are a few of FM6's pros and cons compared to GT4:

Pros
- AI can be very challenging at times when they aren't being insane and/or stupid (more on that later)
- Great graphics and sound
- Lively environments
- Quick Stops can add a higher degree of strategy to a race
- UI is pretty informative compared to GT4's. On top of all the basic stuff, it tells you where cars are, if the car ahead is lapped or not, what position the car ahead is in, and even when cars are merging back onto the track after pitting/warns you of approaching traffic as you exit the pits (if there is any)
- Livery editor
- Deep body customization (on some cars, mostly Japanese ones)
- Great physics... mostly (again, more later)

Cons
- AI is borderline psychotic at times, even with Limit Drivatar Aggression turned on. They'll also do dumb crap like merging right into traffic going 40mph and sometimes swerve right into the wall/other cars when I draw alongside
- Track list feels a touch too limited and of inconsistent quality. There are some fantastic ribbons like the Nurb, Bernese Alps, Rio, Prague and Watkins Glen that feel just amazing to drive around, but on the other hand there are also a number of courses that just don't interest me as much. Your mileage may vary though.
- Cars that are fully tuned have nowhere near enough grip compared to what I feel like they should have. Most of the time they just have massive amounts of understeer.
- The career mode... something about it just doesn't catch my fancy. Maybe it's the fact that getting money is ridiculously easy in FM6, to the point that you're better off setting up your own races in Free Play, since the prizes for those scale with overall race distance.
- Replay mode sucks. It's the most bare-bones replay viewer I've seen recently. Sure, you've got the ability to look at telemetry, but the replay UI is missing critical information such as laptime, current lap, race standings, etc. So if you're racing and you see something you want to save and review later, you'd better be willing to watch the whole race again up to that point, because you're gonna need to count the laps until you get to the one the cool thing is on. And that's even if it's in the replay at all; in longer races, the replay cuts off before the race ends.
- You'll have to buy a Microsoft-licensed wheel such as the Thrustmaster T150 if you want the full experience. While driving with a controller does mostly feel great, there are certain scenarios (such as speedway races) where you'll definitely want the added degree of precision afforded by a wheel.

So, all in all, a great game, but it could use a touch of work IMO. You might want to do some more research and maybe try the demo before deciding whether or not FM6 is for you.

Last edited:
GT4 looks THAT good in 1080i? :drool: I honestly would have never thought that was GT4 had you not said so. Then again, maybe that's to do with the contrast and exposure since you're recording it off-screen.

As far as GTS vs GT4, we'll have to see. The only thing that's clear yet is that they're going to be vastly different games, so it may be your type of thing or it may not. We'll have to see.

And to corroborate that, here are a few of FM6's pros and cons compared to GT4:

Pros
- AI can be very challenging at times when they aren't being insane and/or stupid (more on that later)
- Great graphics and sound
- Lively environments
- Quick Stops can add a higher degree of strategy to a race
- UI is pretty informative compared to GT4's. On top of all the basic stuff, it tells you where cars are, if the car ahead is lapped or not, what position the car ahead is in, and even when cars are merging back onto the track after pitting/warns you of approaching traffic as you exit the pits (if there is any)
- Livery editor
- Deep body customization (on some cars, mostly Japanese ones)
- Great physics... mostly (again, more later)

Cons
- AI is borderline psychotic at times, even with Limit Drivatar Aggression turned on. They'll also do dumb crap like merging right into traffic going 40mph and sometimes swerve right into the wall/other cars when I draw alongside
- Track list feels a touch too limited and of inconsistent quality. There are some fantastic ribbons like the Nurb, Bernese Alps, Rio, Prague and Watkins Glen that feel just amazing to drive around, but on the other hand there are also a number of courses that just don't interest me as much. Your mileage may vary though.
- Cars that are fully tuned have nowhere near enough grip compared to what I feel like they should have. Most of the time they just have massive amounts of understeer.
- The career mode... something about it just doesn't catch my fancy. Maybe it's the fact that getting money is ridiculously easy in FM6, to the point that you're better off setting up your own races in Free Play, since the prizes for those scale with overall race distance.
- Replay mode sucks. It's the most bare-bones replay viewer I've seen recently. Sure, you've got the ability to look at telemetry, but the replay UI is missing critical information such as laptime, current lap, race standings, etc. So if you're racing and you see something you want to save and review later, you'd better be willing to watch the whole race again up to that point, because you're gonna need to count the laps until you get to the one the cool thing is on. And that's even if it's in the replay at all - in longer races, the replay cuts off before the race ends.
- You'll have to buy a Microsoft-licensed wheel such as the Thrustmaster T150 if you want the full experience. While driving with a controller does mostly feel great, there are certain scenarios (such as speedway races) where you'll definitely want the added degree of precision afforded by a wheel.

So, all in all, a great game, but it could use a touch of work IMO. You might want to do some more research and maybe try the demo before deciding whether or not FM6 is for you.
Can't beat GT4 :D:gtpflag::gtplanet::gtplanet:

The off screen recording is helping, but GT3 and 4 are still remarkably good looking games. Obviously not up to the standards of modern games, but they're not unpleasantly ugly to look at or anything.

If you look for GT4 1080p on Youtube you'll see what the game can look like at it's best. I won't post a direct link because that sort of stuff is discouraged, but it's pretty sweet.

The off screen recording is helping, but GT3 and 4 are still remarkably good looking games. Obviously not up to the standards of modern games, but they're not unpleasantly ugly to look at or anything.

If you look for GT4 1080p on Youtube you'll see what the game can look like at it's best. I won't post a direct link because that sort of stuff is discouraged, but it's pretty sweet.
I wonder why it's discouraged? O_o

Actually im still playing GT4 on emulator. Mostly due to the exhaust pop sound and the atmosphere being the greatest and the upscaling makes the experience better than old times. Anyway, GT PSP also looks and plays better :P

Actually im still playing GT4 on emulator. Mostly due to the exhaust pop sound and the atmosphere being the greatest and the upscaling makes the experience better than old times. Anyway, GT PSP also looks and plays better :P
Gt psp was a boring game... yawn...

It is not a boring game if i play it on my smartphone :P with better upscale texture.
"It is not a boring game"
Ok no career mode, All cars have 1st Person Pov but none of the cars have interiors, you can race against 3 AI. Am telling you PSP is a boring game.

I wonder why it's discouraged? O_o

Dunno, but talking about emulation is generally considered off bounds as far as I'm aware. It's just one of those things.

Gt psp was a boring game... yawn...

It's a great game for what it was designed for, quick races while you're on the train or bus. I had a PSP at the time and took the train to work every day and thought it was fantastic.

Dunno, but talking about emulation is generally considered off bounds as far as I'm aware. It's just one of those things.

It's a great game for what it was designed for, quick races while you're on the train or bus. I had a PSP at the time and took the train to work every day and thought it was fantastic.
Well not all of PSP was boring it was like quick match all the time but pd could have done better...

He's referring to upscaling and texture improvement done via emulation, which is the discouraged bit. It is great though, you can even have PS1 games looking way better than they ever could on the actual console.

The thing with PS2 though is that there is actually texture and geometry detail present that simply gets obscured at certain distances from the camera when being rendered at SD resolutions. Some PS2 games can look remarkably good when being rendered at (not upscaled to) 1080p, because it allows you to see more of the detail.

PS1 games, on the other hand... You'll get cleaner polygon edges by running them at higher-than-native, but that's about it.

Look at the trailer for the upcoming Final Fantasy XII PS4 remaster. It looks great, but all that detail is already present within the PS2 original. If only there were some way to run it in 1080p...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back