• 14 comments
Bandhead4life
And looks way upscale!
jeep-compass-2017-5.jpg
jeep-compass-2017-1.jpg
jeep-compass-2017-6.jpg
jeep-compass-2017-3.jpg

Guessing you meant "camo" ;)

Looks quite sharp though. I quite liked the look of the old Patriot (off to the guilty pleasures thread I go...) but the Compass was pretty nasty. This looks like an easier-on-the-eye version of the Cherokee.

Not bad! Looks like a combo of the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Wonder what it will have for drivetrains?

Guessing you meant "camo" ;)

Looks quite sharp though. I quite liked the look of the old Patriot (off to the guilty pleasures thread I go...) but the Compass was pretty nasty. This looks like an easier-on-the-eye version of the Cherokee.
Yea Cellphones, Thats all i got to say.

Obligatory link to my write-up on the 'Compatriot' back in July...

Having seen two prototypes in the wild recently, I really think the size and shape is bang-on for what Jeep needs to continue to grow the brand. If they can make it seem like a more premium option, it becomes a solid step up from the Renegade. Still, I'm worried about the lower trim models, and continued issues with that ZF gearbox - let alone just about anything from the Fiat arm of FCA, doesn't exactly inspire long-term confidence for the reliability and performance of it. But the worst offense? Not using the Compatriot name. Such a shame.

I went on the Jeep site after reading your comment about equipment to see just what they (don't) come with as standard. Amazing to see you have to go up three trim lines on the Patriot before air conditioning is standard, or you have to pay $1300 or so as an option.

I know volume American stuff is very much built down to a price but it's still pretty remarkable that cars are still sold with what could be considered fundamental features these days. I'm not sure there's a car left on the UK market (excluding oddities like Morgans and the like) that doesn't have aircon these days. Maybe a base model Dacia Sandero or something but then that's even cheaper than what a Patriot goes for in the US.

The option exists for a Patriot (and probably Compass) to come without air conditioning, but that's likely very much a "low advertised price" deal. I've never seen a Patriot on a lot that wasn't optioned up to at least the price of a base Cherokee.

The weird thing is that according to the people at the local FCA dealer, they have little to no input on what FCA sends them for their inventory. It is feast or famine with volume models, anything else is trades between local dealers for something kinda close to what people might want. If Jeep and FCA are smart (all points lead to that they are not), they'd kick these things out the door en masse for under $27k with destination with the "good equipment" standard (ie, AWD, Tigershark/Automatic, 8" uConnect, alloy wheels) - don't even bother with the Sport and Trailhawk versions until later on.

Back