Suzuki IGNIS

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 27 comments
Australia
Australia
euro-spec-suzuki-ignis-will-be-10-15cm-longer_827x510_81475224867.jpg

suzuki-ignis-cabin_827x510_61475224904.jpg

suzuki_ignis_main.jpg

The new Ignis takes styling cues from the first-generation Cervo (the slit-like C-pillar design) and first-generation Vitara, as well as the previous generation Swift (blacked A- and B-pillars), and offers an appealing take on the compact SUV, at least to our eyes.

Like competitors, the Ignis makes use of high-strength, lightweight steel to reduce sprung weight while improving on rigidity compared with its predecessor. Adopting Suzuki’s new-generation platform minimised the size of the engine space, said Suzuki, while maximising the space available for cabin occupants and luggage. Luggage space is 267 litres (227 litres in the ALLGRIP model). Rear seats slide. The glovebox is a two-section design and there are bottle holders in centre and rear consoles, as well as in the front and rear doors.

Under the bonnet is a 1.2 DUALJET petrol four-cylinder engine, and this is mated to a mild-hybrid system, to become a SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki), in Suzuki’s words. Buyers have a choice of a five-speed manual transmission or a five-speed auto (whether Australian buyers will have the same choice remains to be seen). The Ignis uses Suzuki’s ALLGRIP auto viscous coupling all-wheel drive system. The system automatically distributes drive torque to the front and rear wheels when it detects the front wheels losing grip.

Similar to Subaru’s EyeSight system, the Ignis gets two stereo cameras which monitor the distance between the vehicle and other objects, as well as the shape of those objects. This becomes the basis for the following three advanced safety functions: Dual Camera Brake Support (DCBS), lane departure warning, and weaving alert.

Support for various smartphone connectivity systems allows the driver to connect a smartphone and access compatible apps on the touch screen display. Inserting SD cards that contain map data also enables the use of the navigation function.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/FB0CA4E5EFBF0F62CA257ED10021E6C4
SUZUKI has revealed a near-production-ready version of its Ignis crossover ahead of its Tokyo motor show debut where it will share the stage with a number of quirky new concepts.

As GoAuto reported, Suzuki has resurrected the Ignis moniker for the tiny crossover, that was originally teased as the iM-4 concept at the 2015 Geneva motor show.

Suzuki Australia general manger Andrew Moore said that while the model is yet to be confirmed, the car-maker's local arm is pushing for it to come to Australia.

The Ignis nameplate was first found in Australian showrooms for five years between 2000 and 2005 on a high-riding hatch that was also re-badged and sold as the first-generation Holden Cruze.

Images of the Ignis being tested in Germany recently found their way online, suggesting the version being shown at Tokyo is close to being ready for production, despite Suzuki calling it a concept.

The Ignis embodies Suzuki's future model direction, with the Japanese car-maker announcing recently that it will focus exclusively on smaller models and crossovers.

This is part of a large-scale model roll-out under its 'Suzuki Next 100' strategic plan that will see 20 new models launched by the end of the decade, starting with the recently uncovered Baleno light hatch and Vitara compact SUV.

The Ignis will become the entry level crossover in the Suzuki stable, sitting below the S-Cross and Vitara, and comparable in size to the rugged, yet ageing Jimny off-roader.

No details have yet been released on the drivetrains that will power the Ignis, however it is possible that it will share a number of engines with the Baleno.

New powertrains that are featured in the Baleno include a 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbo-petrol engine that produces 82kW and 170Nm, and a mild-hybrid system that pairs a 1.2-litre four-cylinder engine with a small lithium-ion battery, marking Suzuki's debut in the hybrid market.

Exterior changes from the iM-4 to the Ignis have been minor, with the Ignis receiving a more reserved look compared with the concept.

The Ignis has softer edges, less dramatic headlights and tail-lights and it loses the small rear spoiler.

Inside, the design carries some of the themes of the new Vitara, with certain cabin panels matching the exterior colour, while the centre console gets a sizeable tablet-like touchscreen display and an uncluttered dash layout in an otherwise simple interior.

A more off-road orientated version of the Ignis, called the Ignis-Trail Concept, will also be revealed at Tokyo, reflecting Suzuki's desire to produce vehicles that are off-roaders in nature, not just name.

Continuing with the company's compact theme, Suzuki will also reveal a new concept known as the Mighty Deck, a canvas-topped “urban/outdoor” lifted hatch, the name of which suggests an homage to the Mighty Boy, the cult crossover ute that was produced by Suzuki in the 1980's.

The fourth concept that will be shown at Tokyo is the Air Triser, a compact three-row minivan with seats that can be configured in a number of ways, including making the back two rows face each other, or turning it all into one big U-shaped sofa.

Despite the high chances of the Ignis being made available in Australia, it is unlikely at this stage that any other Suzuki concepts will be produced for the Australian market.

The new model roll-out began last month with the release of the reborn Vitara, which aims to carve a slice out of the lucrative compact-SUV market, currently dominated by strong sellers such as the Mitsubishi ASX, Mazda CX-3 and Honda HR-V.

While it has not been confirmed, it is likely that the next Suzuki model to roll out will be the Baleno, which was revealed at this year's Frankfurt motor show.

“We've told the factory we want it,” Mr. Moore told GoAuto at the Vitara media launch. “We have so many customers that love Swift but want something a bit bigger. We have got so many satisfied Suzuki customers, and we retain about 20 per cent of Swift customers into another Swift, but we struggle to retain them into anything else because there hasn’t been the right step up.

“I think a lot of young girls becoming young mums will move into Vitaras and things like that, but Baleno is another opportunity again. For me it would be great to have here. Fingers crossed.”

suzuki_ignis_large.jpg

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/paris-motor-show-suzuk-ignis-cervo/

Last edited:
I don't think this car is going to be as popular as the old SX4. It looks a bit too cheap for European standards. Plus, right now there is no any mention of user-selectable AWD mode, which was a cool addition on the old SX4.

Cloudy prognosis...

The CUV market is going good. This one seems to be aimed at repeat Swift buyers(here anyway). An SX4 buyer would be a bit older than a Swift buyer. By the time the Swift is ready to be traded in by the young owner, this slots in nicely.

I'd like to try it. I've been in the old IGNIS. The current Suzukis are pretty agile. If this has a bit of that Suzuki playfulness, I think it will do well.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/7FC96EAE740B3413CA2580420024AB37
SUZUKI Australia has officially confirmed that it will add the quirky new Ignis crossover to its burgeoning SUV line-up early next year.

GoAuto has been speculating for some time that Suzuki’s Australian arm would add the tiny Ignis to its local roster of SUVs that already includes the popular Vitara and the soon-to-be-updated S-Cross.

In a brief release announcing the addition of the Ignis, Suzuki Australia general manager automobiles Andrew Moore said the little runabout’s unique design would ensure it grabs the attention of Australian consumers.

“Vitara has been an outstanding SUV success for Suzuki, with customers enjoying the performance of the turbo and it’s personalisation options,” he said. “With the new Ignis SUV, we’ll be adding another style icon to the range, with its retro looks, bright colours and immense personalisation sure to be popular amongst Australian motorists.

“I’ve got no doubt that with Vitara and the launch of Ignis, Suzuki will have the best line-up of small SUVs for any customer looking to move across to this fast growing segment of lifestyle enabling vehicles. And SUV’s that stay true to Suzuki’s philosophy of providing great value motoring.”

Specification and pricing are being kept under wraps for now, but given the diminutive dimensions of the Ignis, expect it to become the new entry point to Suzuki’s Australian SUV range and potentially start from less than $20,000.

It currently starts with the rugged but ageing Jimny at $20,990 plus on-road costs, but the S-Cross ranges in price from $21,990 to $32,990 and the Vitara is offered between $21,990 and $35,990.

Powertrain choices are also unclear for the Australian market, but Suzuki has already confirmed that the Ignis would be offered in some markets with an 82kW/170Nm 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbo-petrol engine – also found in the Baleno hatch – and a mild-hybrid system that pairs a 1.2-litre four-cylinder engine with a small lithium-ion battery.

Suzuki displayed the new Ignis at last week’s Paris motor show, alongside the facelifted version of the slow-selling S-Cross that is expected in Australia later this year or early in 2017.

Given its small dimensions – 3700mm long, 1595mm high and 1660mm wide with a 2435mm wheelbase – the Ignis will play at the smaller ends of the growing small-SUV segment and be pitched against the likes of the Mazda CX-3, Nissan Juke, Ford EcoSport and Peugeot 2008.

While the S-Cross is struggling sales wise – its 371-unit year-to-date haul is 66.5 per cent behind the same period last year – the popularity of the Vitara has just managed keep Suzuki’s sales in positive territory (+1.1 per cent) for the first eight months of 2016.

So far this year, 3874 Vitaras have found homes making it the second best-selling Suzuki in Australia behind the evergreen Swift, which is down by 24.6 per cent to 5939 units.

The Vitara is currently running seventh in its segment behind big hitters such as the Mazda CX-3, Mitsubishi ASX, Honda HR-V, Nissan Qashqai, Holden Trax and Subaru XV.

suzuki_ignis_large.jpg

Everything this company makes looks like a samurai helmet. I love it.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/news-toyota-suzuki-partnership-japanese-big-three/

This will so good for both parties. I still rate my 2007 Daihatsu Charade as one of the best cars I have ever owned. Teamed with Suzuki, they can churn out some awesome Kei cars.
That can be a double-edged sword. While both manufacturers will benefit from accessing Toyota's resources, at the same time Toyota won't allow any of the them to interfere with its sale count on the market. And that could bring compromises on some products.

I see Suzuki as the youthful/playful brand. Toyota as the mature and sensible brand.
Suzuki is more straightforward. Inexpensive, fun to drive, easy to own.
Toyota is more innovative, reliable, gets from point A to B, easy to own.
Toyota are looking to see how the smaller car makers, build good cars with minimal expense.

I'm liking what I see from this little SUV. It's testing around Melbourne as pevtheir FB page. Can't wait to see it in the metal.

It appears they tried to blend Kei car production philosophy with European body measures. We'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile, colour list spotted in the video below (move to 3:08)

The front looks a bit VWish with a pinch of Citroen Csomething (3 I think). But yeah I agree, front looks good, rear end is awful.

Looks terrible from the back. Like it got rear-ended. Shame, because the front looks great.

I also don't like the rear, particularly the lights, really ruins the rest of the cars great styling. I think it would have benefited from having high back ones or ones right under the window because with these it looks like a car from the 90's.

Yeah, high back lights might improve it, though the 90s look may be almost deliberate, considering how many other bits of the car have a retro inspiration.

Well, since I'm working at a Suzuki dealership I've already had a chance to drive the new Ignis. Really like the interior and front end, but the side and rear are hideous.

Drives pretty decent, and the 90hp engine is pretty nippy and more than plenty for a car that weight under 900kg.

Well, since I'm working at a Suzuki dealership I've already had a chance to drive the new Ignis. Really like the interior and front end, but the side and rear are hideous.

Drives pretty decent, and the 90hp engine is pretty nippy and more than plenty for a car that weight under 900kg.
Are the seats more like a dining chair or like a Swift's seats?

Are the seats more like a dining chair or like a Swift's seats?

They're decent I'd say, certainly comfortable enough for a slightly longer journey, but not so comfortable that I'd go on a 1k road trip in them. Seats are certainly compareable to a Swift, but even more compareable to the seat of the Baleno. They're a little less firm and offer less support than the seats of the Swift.

I've seen one or two on the road now.. The rear end looks hilariously stupid, the rear end comment is spot on.. 'Oops the car is too long we have to shrink it'.

Both GL and GLX variants of the Ignis are powered by a naturally aspirated 1.2-litre Dualjet four-cylinder petrol engine that develops 66kW and 120Nm of torque – small numbers that Suzuki nonetheless maintains translates to respectable performance, thanks to a bantam kerb weight of just 865kg (CVT), the same as a Lotus Elise. The manual tips the scales at 820kg.

Power is sent to the front wheels via a five-speed manual gearbox (on GL only) or via the CVT (on both GL and GLX), which has simulated gear steps.

On the official combined cycle, the Ignis will return fuel economy of 4.7 litres per 100km when fitted with the manual and emit 107 grams per kilometre of CO2. These figures rise to 4.9L/100km and 114g/km respectively for the CVT versions.
820kg. Awesome for an automobile today. 100kg heavier than my car.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/F144010ADBBEDCD6CA2580AA007BBA40#!prettyPhoto

The price and options are right. Should do well.

Back