• 1,102 comments
Switzerland
Geneva
Kimky
Kimky
vp465glab1sx.png

I'm getting very excited :D

Last edited by a moderator:
RDR was set in 1911 when the Old West was "dying", to quote the game cover. Assuming it retains a Wild West setting, when could the next game be set? Anything later than WW1 would seem too farfetched even if the reality was somewhat different for most midwest, mid-Atlantic and southern states.

RDR was set in 1911 when the Old West was "dying", to quote the game cover. Assuming it retains a Wild West setting, when could the next game be set? Anything later than WW1 would seem too farfetched even if the reality was somewhat different for most midwest, mid-Atlantic and southern states.

They get away with setting GTA games in the same time period. Don't see why they can't do the same with Red Dead too. Just place it in a different part of the wild west.

They could set it in 1885. Great Scott!

Anyway they tweeted both images at the same time so I guess we have to wait for the same time tomorrow for the next one. 2pm UK time.

To me those 7 figures look like 7 of the available costumes in RDR (Marshall, Duster, Bandito, Walton Gang etc.). It's not really indicative of anything but having more than one character might be something they have in mind after GTA V.

They get away with setting GTA games in the same time period.

What do you mean? I didn't get this, sorry.

I don't mind the idea of multiple characters but I think if Rockstar focus solely on one then the end result will be much better. Multiple characters in GTA V was cool at first but I didn't like the protags as much as pretty much any other in a big Rockstar game (John Marston, Niko Bellic, Jimmy Hopkins and Tommy Vercetti are legendary), having said that The Warriors was cool.

Last edited:
What do you mean? I didn't get this, sorry.

Well, the GTA games are set within a few decades or so of one another. Red Dead Revolver was set in the 1880's, RD Redemption in 1911. There's no story progression from one to the other. This next instalment could easily be set sometime in the middle. Or before. Or after.

Even though i loved the game, i generally hate 'westerns'. So my knowledge of the period and when landmark events occurred is very limited.

I wonder if that "leaked" map from a few months ago is legit.

Re-dead-overlay-map.jpg

If it is legit, and only features the northern area, I will definitely be missing Mexico. That was my favorite area in the first game.

edit: better version
M8pJT4V.jpg

Maybe it's both regions? That would be cool. I hope it's set a few years before to be honest.

WELL SLAP ME SILLY & COLOUR ME TICKLED PINK......

Been waiting for this games since like forever. Well maybe not forever but damn. so excited right now.

Multiple characters in GTA V was cool at first but I didn't like the protags as much as pretty much any other in a big Rockstar game
I thought that it really worked. The problem with GTA IV is that the story became convoluted and unfocused at times; I often found myself doing jobs for someone - like Mallorie - with no idea why. But in GTA V, each protagonist had his own individual story running parallel to the main narrative, and each narrative thread was clearly defined.

I thought that it really worked. The problem with GTA IV is that the story became convoluted and unfocused at times; I often found myself doing jobs for someone - like Mallorie - with no idea why. But in GTA V, each protagonist had his own individual story running parallel to the main narrative, and each narrative thread was clearly defined.
They did a very good job of managing multiple protagonists, come to think of it they couldn't have done it much better but personally I think I prefer just the one protagonist.

They did a very good job of managing multiple protagonists, come to think of it they couldn't have done it much better but personally I think I prefer just the one protagonist.
The beauty of Red Dead Redemption is that it's essentially a trilogy trimmed down to fit one game. I could see it as a trilogy of films, with the first ending as Marston captured the first outlaw and riding back to Armadillo, and the second film starting with his being told that he needs to go to Mexico. It also helps that the midfle chapter - Mexico - is quite different to the other two.

Yeah it was a great game, too bad Rockstar didnt have a pc team for this. Would have love to replay it now on pc with modded texture and other enhancement.

I'm very happy it's coming back tho, hopefully the wait wont be too long. The other day while

I dont really mind where and when it stands but I do hope it's a classic western, not too modern. I dont want semi-auto guns or rifle, just winchester and revolver and maybe a gatling or two.

I dont really mind where and when it stands but I do hope it's a classic western, not too modern.
To me, setting is a product of the main thematic concerns of the story. Red Dead Redemption is very much about the death of the Old West, lamenting the lost romanticism of the period, but looking forward to the coming future. Marston is very much a man caught between both worlds, and in order to survive, he has to kill off one self - the irony is that he wants to kill off his violent nature, which is in itself a violent act, and so threatens to kill off his more human side. Each of the three men that he is sent after represent elements of that violent nature: Bill Williamson is his thuggish and impulsive side, Javier is his cowardice and his cunning, and Dutch is his nihilism and desire to live beyond the influence of society.

RDR is the only game I've ever bought that isn't a racing sim. I've been looking around for something similar, especially with free roam hunting for a loooong time.

I'm excited but this...

Hyped but please for the love of god don't give us Red Dead Online with micro transactions

IGN tweeted earlier to say the publisher registered the name Red Dead Online.

...will be a deal breaker.

I've been looking around for something similar, especially with free roam hunting for a loooong time.
Fallout might be worth a look. It's free-roam, but there isn't much in the way of hunting. You can, however, get materials from the wildlife for crafting and cooking. And Far Cry 4 has a form of hunting where you harvest skins to craft new equipment (and taking down a rhino with a bow and arrow is fairly awesome). Likewise Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it and Far Cry 4 don't have vast open worlds. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag also has hunting for crafting, and you get to be a pirate.

I'm excited but this...

...will be a deal breaker.
It's possible that they're looking to include it alongside a single-player campaign. Metal Gear Online 3 shipped with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Hyped but please for the love of god don't give us Red Dead Online with micro transactions

100% what will happen.

It's the 2010s and you know that that is what the future is of gaming.

As long as it isn't only online and they still put a lot of effort into the initial single player game as they did GTA V I won't care.

Should be about 90 minutes to the next hint/reveal.

Original title. I guess they didn't want to go for the almost cliché "another R word".

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

Certainly makes it sound the same as GTA V basically, single player focused game and then the online portion will take place in the same world. Shame it's a year away though.

Can we recognise anyone in the 'gang'? Warning, 3MB image.

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/img/global/gang.png

That's a longer wait than i hoped. But at least Rockstar's (single player side) games feel pretty complete when they do hit the shelves.

I wonder if this will be PS4/Xbox One/PC only?

*edit* "Trailer coming Thursday Oct 20th" !!!

Can we recognise anyone in the 'gang'?

Pretty sure the guy 5th from the left is Frank from American Pickers.

Last edited:
As if we couldn't have predicted that!

We're stuck in that halfway house between predicted a title announcement and having no information to go on. I'm not really a fan of all the mental masturbation about what is in the game, what isn't in the game... it's all speculation. We don't really know anything so I don't want to get excited about a 'leaked map'.

This, however:

epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland.

Not explicitly western but could possibly be set before 1911? Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was set in the 1920s.

Back