2016 Formula 1 United States Grand PrixFormula 1 

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
In Japan, Nico Rosberg effectively has one hand on the title after Lewis Hamilton fluffed the start of the race. Nico extended his title lead to 33 points effectively taking the title out of Hamilton's hands. All he can hope for now is to win the remaining races with Nico failing to score. This title fight isn't over yet so get ready for the United States Grand Prix.

b2d8b463-5238-4a58-85da-4dfdb958fe7b.jpg

CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS

FIRST GRAND PRIX

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
5.516KM (3.427 Miles)

RACE DISTANCE
308.896KM (191.939 Miles)

LAP
RECORD

1:39.347 Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull Renault, 2012

TYRE ALLOCATIONS
Super-Soft, Soft, & Medium

18-usa-selected-sets-per-driver-4k-en.jpg

SKY SPORTS CLASSIC RACE SCHEDULE
Tuesday - USA 1983
Wednesday - USA 1987
Thursday - USA 1990
Sunday - USA 2007

2015 RESULT

1 Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)

2 Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

3 Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

2015 Fastest lap - Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:40.666 (lap 49)

For those of you taking part, don't forget to submit your picks in @LMSCorvetteGT2's fantasy F1 league. Here.

Can Red Bull get close to Mercedes on this track ?

Will Ferrari be able to match Suzuka qualification pace ?

And will Lewis manage to beat Nico ?

And finally, will Ferrari manage to make a successful strategy ?

Those are the question for this week-end I think. I think Mercedes will dominate on dry condition and so far it's announced as sunny. Ferrari will be the 3rd team again and well I hope Lewis gonna bounce back but somehow I doubt it. A miss start in COTA could cost him a lot. As for Ferrari being able to make a good aggressive strategy and make it stick, I dont believe it will happen but I can be wrong. The trouble is that they have so much pressure that they try to go conservative but it just doesnt work as there car is not fast enough.

Will Rosberg have any pressure on him for victory?

Will Webber finally retire and give Hamilton his seat back?

Will Max finally be penalized for attempted murder?

Will McLaren bring the 2015 car they raced in Japan back to the US?

Will Ferrari fire their strategist?

Find out on another exciting episode of Rosbergwinslol.

I'm expecting a boring race, won't get my hopes up. This place could use some showers to spice things up but that won't happen. Not even expecting a surprise points finish from Haas or McLaren.

The main question for me is will Rosberg and Hamilton finally have another on track battle for the win? Or will there be another technical gremlin, penalty or bad start to deny us yet again?

I remember going too last year's race. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. The race was boring, the rain was miserable (we wanted to make use of our 3-day tickets) the staff was rude (only the Manor guys running their merchandise stand were friendly), food was overpriced (and it tasted terrible, I had better at Six Flags), and parking was ridiculous ($100 for parking!? We also had a handicap sticker ! AND THEY COMPLETELY BLEW US OFF!).
The only positive I can think of was that the old F1 cars sound amazing.
Anyway, I predict Mercedes will win. Lewis will need to pray that Nico will get poor results if he wants this championship.

Last edited:
We need a Rosberg failiure or something like that in the next 4 races to give us an end of season battle for the title, we have rarely seen any racing for p1, bad starts etc have denied us an epic battle.

I remember going too last year's race. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. The race was boring, the rain was miserable (we wanted to make use of our 3-day tickets) the staff was rude (only the Manor guys running their merchandise stand were friendly), food was overpriced (and it tasted terrible, I had better at Six Flags), and parking was ridiculous ($100 for parking!? We also had a handicap sticker ! AND THEY COMPLETELY BLEW US OFF!).
The only positive I can think of was that the old F1 cars sound amazing.
Anyway, I predict Mercedes will win. Lewis will need to pray that Nico will get poor results if he wants this championship.
Are you sure you were there, last year's USGP was one of the best races of the season by a long way.

Are you sure you were there, last year's USGP was one of the best races of the season by a long way.
Indeed I was. I just thought it was boring. The only exciting thing I remember was when a Force India and Red Bull collided right in front of where I was sitting.

The tele listings look a bit odd. It shows NBC on Saturday showing qualifying from 12:30 to 4:00 (3.5 hours) and Sunday showing the race including pre-race from 2:30 to 5:00 (2.5 hours). What the 🤬 are they showing for 3.5 hours during qualifying :boggled:

I'm going to my first F1 race this weekend. Pretty stoked, I am fortunate that I only live about 20 minutes away too, so I can hitch a ride and don't have to pay insane prices for parking.
Hook me in on that lol. I might be headed out there for Friday practices, still needing to work out some things getting from airport-track-hotel-airport.

While I find COTA to be a complete snooze of a track...While Formula 1 is always subject to being a snoozefest due to a team or particular driver running away with the season - we've at least had Rosberg/Hamilton to entertain us. When was the last time another team allowed both of its drivers to genuinely compete?

If Rosberg beats Hamilton this weekend and the points extend even more, it'll beg the question of "why watch the rest of the season?". While the track has some serious straightaways, I hope the Red Bulls or Ferraris can do something remotely interesting. We've had a handful of decent races this season, but I won't hold my breath. COTA has been a pretty huge disappointment for me across the board.

It's boring to watch in almost any series, despite attracting a lot of them. It was fare more pretty to watch when the endurance race went into the night. Tough to get excited about COTA regardless. I know we'll never see Formula 1 at the best US tracks because they're not set-up for huge crowds/endorsements/business deals and swanky rooftop parties - and that's a shame. There are a dozen tracks which could provide a phenomenal F1 race, and COTA is not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just talking today with my brother about US tracks to use. FIA has a system for classifying tracks and they fall into different levels. COTA was built with F1 in mind so it's the level required. The others need lots of changes that cost too much money to gain back or they don't want to risk it.

Road America, Watkins Glen, VIR, Road Atlanta, etc. they just need proper updated safety features.

Road America,they just need proper updated safety features.

Road America would need quite a bit more than just safety features considering there really isn't any form of pit facility and their seating consists of a few small bleachers throughout the track. Plus I'm not sure the infrastructure around the track could handle it (I'm baffled how they managed to make the local roads work during the early 90's).

I feel like F1 wouldnt have good racing at any of the great US tracks. Even if the tracks are drivers tracks the spectacle will probably be awful. Indy wasn't bad but we will never get that again.

Indy was fantastic, its just a shame that it was ruined by the 2005 scandal. Watkins Glen would be cool, but I doubt the racing would be good, and the track would have to be vastly changed runoff wise because it really isn't appropriate for F1 speeds. Road America would also need a large upgrade. Laguna Sega would be rubbish for an F1 race, as would places like VIR and Road Atlanta. In all honesty I think the best established race circuits in the USA to go would be either Long Beach or Sebring. Long Beach is a good circuit, but I suppose the need for a proper pits is the problem there. I really think that Sebring is a viable option. Some barriers would need reprofiling, but I don't think there is anyhing too major to be done there.

I really think that Sebring is a viable option. Some barriers would need reprofiling, but I don't think there is anyhing too major to be done there.

It would need to be completely relaid and resurfaced though, surely? Imo that would be a real shame and would kill the character of the track.

I've never seen track surface as a major characteristic of a circuit, apart from maybe Thruxton, because it isn't a shade of grey. It's either smooth or bumpy, ergo rubbish. Keeping the runways as concrete would not be a problem though, just relay it.

I've never seen track surface as a major characteristic of a circuit, apart from maybe Thruxton, because it isn't a shade of grey. It's either smooth or bumpy, ergo rubbish. Keeping the runways as concrete would not be a problem though, just relay it.
but when WEC or any other form of sports car racing comes along, that's either a huge advantage or disadvantage you're taking away from people who use that as strategy.

There are a dozen tracks which could provide a phenomenal F1 race, and COTA is not one of them.

Problem is if you wanted F1 on any of those great US tracks, You'd essentially have to destroy the character of those tracks just for F1 (including redoing the whole pit complex as well as on-track parking lots called "runoff") and at great expense I don't believe ANY of those tracks have. Honestly, there is enough of that mess at Watkins Glen and I'd rather not see more of it.

Oh, I fully agree (as I mentioned in the latter part of that post). I fully understand that F1 tracks have to jump through a thousand hoops to get approved...and thus the majority of F1 tracks are incredibly boring. It's why COTA is dreadful in the first place.

I'm rooting for Lewis to win, but I have a bad feeling that something is going to happen to his car or his setup or his start. The amount of bad luck he's been having is unfathomable. If it turns around I'll be (pleasantly) surprised. He needs to win out or have Nico dnf, start last, something or the title race will be over as soon as it was last year!

Back