GT6 update 1.10 download fails same place every time

• Thread starter Abzolute
  • 15 comments
South Africa
South Africa
I have recently bought the digital version of GT6 (PS3), and then proceeded to try and download/install the multiple available updates. All went smoothly until I hit the 2GB size 1.10 update. Download failed at 35% with the following error message: "An error occurred during the download operation. (800233EF)".

I tried multiple times to download this specific update thereafter, and all failed at exactly the same place - 35%. Maybe it helps to clarify the file in particular, which may identify the region and possible errors others may have found with this particular download: http://b0.ww.np.dl.playstation.net/...A00502_00-0000000000000000-A0110-V0100-PE.pkg

As background to what I've tried so far, I have done the following, with all attempts being unsuccessful at exactly that same 35% on update 1.10:
- Rebooted modem/router (which is connected via LAN cable to PS3, not wifi).
- Disabled Media Server.
- Disabled uPnP.
- Changed from default DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) on PS3.
- Went into web browser and cleared cookies / cache / etc multiple times.
- Booted the PS3 into the "safe mode" and used options 3 and 4 (to rebuild file system and database) multiple times between failed downloads.
- Completely deleted all files related to GT6 (including the actual 15GB game download, the save files, any game data, of which there was minimal data), and redownloaded from scratch a few times.
- Downloaded the actual pkg file and attempted to install it using the PS3 ProxyServer application (multiple times).
- From a completely deleted state of GT6 files, downloaded the game and then followed the recommended install steps exactly step for step from the thread "Recommended GT6 Updating Instructions" (http://community.eu.playstation.com...ended-GT6-Updating-Instructions/td-p/22766000).

Every single one of those attempts failed and the download gave that error at 35%. The fact that I could fully download the pkg file, and yet still encountered that error at 35% (using the PS3 ProxyServer method) is what puzzles (frustrates) me the most... it appears that there is no problem with my internet connection or the ability to download the update file, but it appears that the file itself has some kind of issue.

If anyone has encountered the same or can suggest something I can try that I have not already, then it would be greatly appreciated. At this point, my next step is either to reconcile myself to never being able to apply updates beyond 1.09 and never to go online with the game, or to try and get a refund.

What MBPS are you getting at your computer, and your PS3?
I have a VDSL connection, get 19.2 Mbps at computer, and about 16 Mbps at PS3 on speed test, though download speed of files on PS3 progress looks about 2Mb a second.

Sounds like a hardware issue(HDD), since you are using the digital version. I have the digital version and never got an error, though it did take 7 hours(game+updates). Your speed is more than efficient, I've seen a few people here that are lucky to get 1Mb per second and they can play online, with some lag though...

Do you have a friend you can borrow the disk from, just to test it? Or are you using the digital version cause your Blu Ray is shot?(thats why I switched)

Yes, 16 mbps should be plenty enough. @ryzno may be right on the hardware issue, since it seems you've done all of the usual things to address this. Do you ever get the YLOD?

If it is a hardware issue, then it's very strange and unlucky, as I have reinstalled the game at least 3 times from scratch, and tried applying the 1.10 update file at least 15 times, and the only failure I ever get is on update file 1.10 at 35%... every time.

I got the digital version as it was easier to get hold of; I can get a disc copy of the game from a friend, but I think the only benefit of that would be to check if the update file associated with the disc version is a different file and if that possibly works instead of the one associated with the digital version.

The most common causes of this particular error are:

1) INSUFFICIENT HDD SPACE
When you download a 20GB for example you need 40GB free space. Once the data is unpacked it deletes the initial space and just takes the 20GB.

2) DOWNLOADING THROUGH WIRELESS CONNECTION
If your connection is wireless it may have lost signal for a fraction causing the data to corrupt which only becomes apparent at your 8%.

Switch to a hard connection and hopefully it will be ok.

3) THE BEGINNING OF HDD FAILURE
This is the most likely cause unfortunately. Some people say that large files can be the issue here and that after a HDD format it works fine. Others say you need to go-all-out and replace the HDD.

Either way this is a right pain but should certainly resolve your issue.

Good luck @Peter.[/QUOTE

Sounds like you have the first to items covered. My HDD started getting fussy before I got the YLOD and the game started getting uplayable. I did the safe mode file rebuilding as you did but it did not help. I hope for your sake it's not your HDD. A complete formatting is an option, but not if you have other games on it. I just bit the bullet and bought a new 500gb slim.

If it is a hardware issue, then it's very strange and unlucky, as I have reinstalled the game at least 3 times from scratch, and tried applying the 1.10 update file at least 15 times, and the only failure I ever get is on update file 1.10 at 35%... every time.

I got the digital version as it was easier to get hold of; I can get a disc copy of the game from a friend, but I think the only benefit of that would be to check if the update file associated with the disc version is a different file and if that possibly works instead of the one associated with the digital version.
That's why I recommend it, I had to reinstall the entire game and updates after my Blu ray tapped out. Who knows the off chance the different data would help. But it really does sound like the HDD. Good luck.

Yeah, I have about 70Gb free, and am not using wifi. If I could be more certain it was possibly HDD failure, I'd change it. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it anyway. But the fact that this particular update 1.10 file keeps failing to download at exactly the same point every time (35%) is what is very strange. It's highly unlikely that the exact location on the drive is being used every time when it gets to that 35% mark, especially since I have deleted a few unrelated install files (PS Vita games) I didn't need in between download attempts.

Yeah, I have about 70Gb free, and am not using wifi. If I could be more certain it was possibly HDD failure, I'd change it. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it anyway. But the fact that this particular update 1.10 file keeps failing to download at exactly the same point every time (35%) is what is very strange. It's highly unlikely that the exact location on the drive is being used every time when it gets to that 35% mark, especially since I have deleted a few unrelated install files (PS Vita games) I didn't need in between download attempts.
I wish I could tell you how/if the hard drive installs/writes the data. I'm at my limit on technical support. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help. @Famine is pretty savy with the PS3 and network issues.

Thanks for the input guys - even if it doesn't solve the issue yet, at least it confirms so far that I've not missed anything simple yet major.

I'm not all that keen to go through the trouble of a HDD change, since I hardly use the PS3 anymore and it's pretty much only for GT since my 5yo realised the driving seat/wheel he's been sitting in actually controls a car on a track ;-) But at the same time it means less re-downloading of content since it's pretty much just GT I'll put on again... and hopefully then the update file download works.

But I think I'll try the disc based version first and see if that updates successfully.

So I decided to replace / upgrade my PS3 HDD. First game I (re)downloaded and installed was GT6. Applied the updates as per the recommended steps again, and what do you know... same issue. Download failed at 35%. I give up. Going to request a refund. If I get that right, I'll buy a disc based copy and try that.

Glad to hear you got it working, sorry I pointed you in the wrong direction.

Back