2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
United States
United States
IMSAweathertech_Logo-site.png

The next official test session is Dec. 13-14 at Daytona and the Roar test is Jan. 6-8.

490d19_19354c6144414f0692e530422752639e~mv2.png

2017 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Television / Streaming Schedule
Date Event/Venue Channel Times (All Times ET)

Jan. 28-29 Rolex 24 At Daytona
FOX 2 – 5 p.m. Sat.
FS2 5 – 10 p.m. Sat.
FS2 11 p.m. Sat. – 12:30 p.m. Sun.
FS1 12:30 – 3 p.m. Sun.
FSGO* 2 p.m. Sat. – 3 p.m. Sun.

March 18 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
FS1 12:30 p.m. – 11 p.m.
FSGO* 10:30 a.m. – 11 p.m.

April 8 Long Beach
FOX 4 – 6 p.m.

May 6 Circuit of The Americas
FS1 7 – 10 p.m. Taped

June 3 Detroit
FS2 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.

July 2 Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen
FS1 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
FS2 1 – 4:30 p.m.
FSGO* 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

July 9 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
FS1 12 – 3 p.m.

July 22 Northeast Grand Prix
FS2 3 – 6 p.m.

Aug. 6 Continental Tire Road Race Showcase
FS1 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.

Aug. 27 Michelin GT Challenge at VIR
FS1 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.

Sept. 17 Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix
FS1 5 – 8 p.m.

Oct. 7 Petit Le Mans
FS1 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
FS2 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
FS2 5 – 9:30 p.m.
FSGO* 10:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.

NOTE: Broadcast dates and times subject to change * – FOX Sports GO with FS1 authentication

EDITED to include schedule changes 2/10

Last edited:
Please review and edit some of the grammatical errors in the OP.

Looking forward to this season! Its a shame that there are so few PC entries as I'd rather see the class canned altogether as soon as possible.

We all knew that this thread was going to happen sooner or later given the activity on the thread for last year's season. I'm looking forward to the season now and am curious to see how the DPi spec P2s actually compete with the global spec head-to-head. I really hope that DPi works out and grows in the future because it could open new possibilities to the format.

Though like I said several times in the 16 season thread, I'm curious to see if the series could potentially move DPi to LMP1-L some time in the future. I hope that IMSA at some point allows a P1L to test at several events to see if it would even be a realistic possibility. Note that when I mention testing, I'm specifically referring to the safety aspect due to the speeds they run and am not referring to the operational costs of the prototypes at this time).

I just hope we don't have to play musical chairs with the coverage this year. :nervous:

DPi - Should be interesting to see how the IMSA cars are balanced with the WEC-spec ones. Granted most of the WEC ones are Pro-Am anyways so they don't have much of a chance against the pro lineups. Hopefully the death of PC makes room for a Pro-Am sub-class.

PC - I don't see why they even kept this class considering the growth of DPi and GTD.

GTLM - It should be a pretty good year, hopefully the new Porsche's are competitive.

GTD - It's incredible to think with all the doom and gloom thrown around before 2016 that this class could be needing a cap on the car count. It sucks that the Viper is gone, but the AMG GT3 is certainly a worthy replacement.

Aren't we all, every race fan wants to see them come to fruition.

I cant see how waiting so long to unveil these cars is beneficial, they've already missed one test, same goes for the Nissan and Mazda though, yet other teams with the standard chassis already have a leg up.

I cant see how waiting so long to unveil these cars is beneficial, they've already missed one test, same goes for the Nissan and Mazda though, yet other teams with the standard chassis already have a leg up.

They probably don't expect to be on it until mid season I guess? Not sure why they're going about it the way they are.

It was nice to see FOX occasionally cover IMSA races this season. Not often you see that series on network television.

Besides the 24 Hours at Daytona, the other race I'm looking forward to is the Long Beach event.

They probably don't expect to be on it until mid season I guess? Not sure why they're going about it the way they are.

Who knows, unless they're just planning to turn up with the current engine package in a regulated LMP2,

From what I understand, there were issues with suppliers that have caused the delay. I'm sure GM will be able to overcome any issues it causes better than a private team will.

Do you plan to go to Le Mans?
I doubt it. No Cadillac bodywork, no GM engine, no Silver drivers, and no ROI. Winning the 2nd prototype class in a rented Dallara with a Gibson engine does not sound like a great achievement for GM's flagship brand.

I'm getting part Audi, part Porsche vibes from the front of the car. Looks good all round though. To me personally having proper manufacturer support gives the series such a higher feeling of importance and somewhat of a feeling of professionalism too. It makes it feel as though it's a big deal.

It probably wont look as good in team livery but as long as the 6.2L sounds great I can live with.
Somebody needs to run this thing in a solid metallic black. And yeah, the big Corvette V8 in the back will more than make up for it. :drool:

Back