• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 46 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The 2017 season of AMA Supercross begins on January 7th at Angels Stadium- home of Major League Baseball's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The season ends on May 6, 2017 at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, NV. There is also the Monster Energy Cup event on October 14, 2017 also at Sam Boyd Stadium.

It's almost time to rev up the new season of AMA Supercross as well as the other different motocross and supermoto action.

[UPDATE] The full AMA Supercross schedule for 2017 can be seen here: http://www.amasupercross.com/events.aspx

Last edited:
Looking forward to the start of a new Supercross season :D. Hopefully this year, someone, anyone, has the pace and consistency to match Dungee and KTM.

I'm hoping for better seasons for James "Bubba" Stewart and Malcolm Stewart. Bubba got roughed up last season.

Lots of team/contract deals changed over the off season: Canard to KTM, Roczen to Honda, Joe Gibbs Racing to Suzuki, Bogle to RCH, Grant on factory Kawi full time, Webb to the 450 class... whatever the Stewart brothers are doing... Looking forward to getting the season started!

So we need to make a new thread for MXGP when that season starts up, and we need to make another thread for Outdoor Nationals? Should we make one for Arena Cross too?

*sigh*

Oh well

Well, I just tried to keep this discipline of motorsport relevant. So maybe eventually we will get to discuss the other such motocross and even supermoto series. All I know is that I can't wait to see the gate drop on a new season of AMA Supercross.

The gate will drop on a new season of AMA Supercross later tonight. The fun begins in Anaheim, CA at Angels Stadium. What is usually home to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in Major League Baseball will be the first battleground for the AMA Supercross series. Can't wait for the new season to begin proper.

For those of you who may be seeing something like this for the first ever time, let me just say that supercross, motocross, and stuff like that are incredibly tough on the body. I am actually impressed with just how fit these riders are taking on these punishing jumps and such. The drama during races can be intense. You may see a rider have a great run, then all of a sudden dump the bike in a corner. Or maybe someone tries to triple the whoops or something and end up face planting and get a face full of dirt. Regardless, this kind of racing is fun to watch. I actually tend to watch more supercross than the proper outdoor motocross. So this is a fine time of year for me. It's just something that's more entertaining to me with supercross than motocross.

But if you will be watching supercross for the first time ever, enjoy the show!

Did any of you see that AMA Supercross now has timed races? Among the different time limits for events, the 250cc Main is a 15-minute race, and the 450cc Main is a 20-minute race. Every race from Heats to the Main now have time limits plus one extra lap. I could REALLY see this on the longest race of the season at Daytona.

It will be interesting to see how the AMA Supercross riders play these timed races. Then too, if you follow AMA Motocross or the MXGP, they run timed races. So I'll want to see how these races are played out in supercross.

It was Shane McElrath who won the 250cc Main Event at Anaheim 1, and Ken Roczen wins the 450cc Main Event at Anaheim 1.

Up next... AMA Supercross stays in California but goes from Southern California to even southern Southern California. It's the Military Appreciation Race in San Diego on January 14th. This is actually the second of three straight events in California before the series heads to Arizona to end January 2017.

So how much you get paid for victory in AMA Supercross? Here is an interesting article I found while poking around on Twitter: http://motocross.transworld.net/news/2017-anaheim-one-sx-purse-payout/ . The person I got this Tweet from had a hashtag saying "#paytheridersmore." This is probably what certain grassroots motorsports types would make for a win. Pretty brutal payout for AMA Supercross.

Oh yeah, it's been like that. These guys don't make that much from the races. The bigger names get a larger paycheck from the teams and sponsors than the race purses.

Anyway, thoughts on last night...
All that preseason hype, new guys coming in, lots of guys switching teams... same two guys up front. :lol:

I know it's only week 1, but I feel like we're in for a predictable year in the 450cc group. Roczen was Ryan Villopoto - esque dominant last night, which is what we saw at the Monster Energy Cup a few months back (that is, until he hit the eject button). Unless guys were holding back because it was the first race, this is going to be Roczen's championship to loose. (I hope I'm wrong, I want to see a battle at the head of the field)
Other than that, the KTMs looked solid as usual (sadly, except for Trey Canard :banghead:). Tomac started great, and then faded almost immediately. And everyone else looked as they did last year, to be honest. No major surprises other than Pourcel not making the main.

The Lites category had a closer race for sure, McElrath had a clean race start to finish, and rode smart. If Plessinger had more time, he may have caught him, because he definitely found some speed late in the race.

One week down. Onto San Diego!

So San Diego no longer has an NFL team. Cheer up, San Diego- you get AMA Supercross tonight! AMA Supercross is as hard-hitting as [gridiron] football. Best of luck to all riders and teams both in the 250cc and 450cc classes tonight.

Just saw a little segment with a group of kids racing 50cc bikes on the track earlier! Now that's cool! Way to get the kids involved!

That and seeing those bikes go over those big ramps is pretty funny. Reminds me of racing them on MX Vs. ATV Unleashed! :lol:

My boy Davi Millsaps with the semi-final win! 👍

Shane McElrath won the 250cc main event in San Diego, and Ken Roczen won the 450cc main event in San Diego. So both McElrath and Roczen are undefeated so far this season. One more stop in California this coming weekend followed by a trip to Arizona the following weekend.

Just caught up on San Diego. Both main events were really good - great battles, great passing, right down to the last lap! That track was really well designed.

San Diego was top notch! The 250 main got really tight at the end. Feel a bit for Davalos after he lead most of the way before slipping off the podium right before the end. Shane definitely earned that one.

Roczen and Dungey both rode great. If we get racing like that all year, I'll be happy :D

Good news from the Stewart camp: Malcolm looks to be set for Anaheim 2 with a Suzuki in the 450 class, James aiming for the next race in Oakland, I believe.

http://motocross.transworld.net/new...117_sf51366969#sf51366969#AbK5TG26HlmROQtk.97

This weekend of AMA Supercross is going to return to Anaheim for Round 3 of the AMA West championship in Oakland. It's the last of this California stretch before the series heads to Arizona for Round 4. Shane McElrath and Ken Roczen are 2-0 in the respective 250cc and 450cc Main Events. Which two will win the second races in Anaheim? We'll see on Saturday night.

For the full schedule of AMA Supercross for 2017, visit: http://www.amasupercross.com/events.aspx

It's go time, and it's showtime! AMA Supercross at Anaheim 2 is about to go down in mere moments! Enjoy the show, mates!

I have to be careful not to try to spoil things. Be sure to check out the highlights of Anaheim 2 looking around online. Not to spoil anything, but a huge development happened in the 450cc class contender one rider went down hard.

The next round of the championship will be in Glendale, AZ as the AMA Supercross West championship continues on. This event will be shown on FOX Sports 2. So you can check out that event granted you have FS2. My guess is that FS1 will be showing the 24 Hours of Daytona coverage.

Anyhow, try to look up highlights of the most recent round of the championship. I updated the opening post of this thread with a link to the 2017 schedule in case you want to follow the championship schedule for AMA Supercross.

FOX Sports 1 has shown a replay of the Anaheim 2 events quite a few times now, including right now as of this post. Remember that the round in Glendale, AZ will be on FOX Sports 2 this weekend.

Not sure. Surgery is required, so I would agree that the rest of the SX season doesn't look great.
Maaan, that's such a damn shame. I was really excited to watch Roczen and Dungee go at it. That totally seemed like Roczen pushing too hard when he really didn't need to. Don't see much competition for Dungee now.

As one person put it on a Twitch stream I was watching, (indirect quote): "Ladies and gentlemen, your 2017 450cc champion, Ryan Dungey." Ken Roczen spilled hard at Anaheim. It was ugly to watch and heartbreaking since Roczen had such a great start. This is a serious setback that screwed over Roczen hard. I certainly wish him well in his recovery.

Best wishes to Ken, that one was hard to watch live.

As one person put it on a Twitch stream I was watching, (indirect quote): "Ladies and gentlemen, your 2017 450cc champion, Ryan Dungey."

Sadly, you might be right. Dungey is in a league all his own at the moment. The closest guys to him might be his training partners (25 & 21). And maybe Tomac when he properly figures out his Kawi.

According to my TV lineup, FOX Sports 1 will show the AMA Supercross race at Glendale at 9:00 PM EST. I said previously it will be on FOX Sports 2. So be sure to have a look at FS1 if indeed it does show there.

Back