Sharkfin - Yes or No?

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 36 comments

Do you like the Shark Fins on F1 cars (and other racing cars) or not?

• I love them!

• They're OK

• Don't Care

• They're a bit naff

• I hate them!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The Sharkfin has come back to F1 cars this year, and seem to be dividing people. So here's a simple question.

Do you like the Shark Fins on F1 cars (and other racing cars) or not?

Discuss.

With the Renault and Sauber, the Shark Fin looks awesome. It flows with the car and fits it just right. On the other hand, Williams and Force India just look really odd and out of place.

Don't really care for them. Don't "hate" them, but whenever I look at a profile shot of a car with one, I try to go slightly cross eyed to blur the image and try to imagine the lines without the fin.

Good joke I read this morning was that instead of using a white board to desin the car, FI just put it on the car instead.

Love em, and the style of shark-fin that we've seen on the Sauber and Renault only accentuate that for, definitely add to the car overall.

I've never been keen on the F1 versions, regardless of how they're styled, and the shark fins on LMP1s look really slab sided and inelegant.

They're not the end of the world, just really naff.

I didn't care for them way back when I first saw them, but over the years they just seem to have become a part of racing more often than not so they don't really bother me. Some teams have worked them into their livery well and others...not so much.

On LMP they look normal now. I'm fine with this years F1 Sharkfins as they're not too terrible looking. The Force India isn't great, but the others aren't too bad.

What I don't like is that we have a better looking rear wing design and you can't see it in it's entirety due to the shark fin being in the way.

I used to hate them, but than I figured that they will probably be around for some time so I might as well learn to like them.

I don't mind them, and actually liked them on the 2008 cars, but in 2010 when they were connected to the rear wing for the F-ducts I thought they looked a bit silly. I like the Renault and Sauber solutions, particularly the Renault, but the Force India looks like it's got a coffee table sticking out of the engine cover.

They have such a massive advantage in terms of stability, so there's no reason not to have one. When it comes to race cars, I find the beauty in the functionality, not the design.

Shark fins are fine with me.

Aesthetically? No.

I'm not versed in the benefits of the fin, but fins did exist in post-war sports cars. So, if there is purpose for them, fine. Just not a fan of them- no pun intended.

Not sure if I'm a huge... fan (dammit) of the way they look, but if it helps you go faster, then why not?

why teams weren't using it before ?
Because it was manipulating the air flow over the rear wing, and the FIA wasn't keen about it because of DRS. They were concerned that teams would try and use shark fins to passively stall air flowing over the rear wing. But with the rear wing being reprofiled - mounted lower and further back - there is less ability for shark fins to manipulate the air flow

Only one I like so far is the one the Mercedes. Its there, but its not as in-your-face or just generically lop-sided like the others are. Guess it depends on their size and shape for me.

Last edited:
Most of them look really good, but I do not like Force India's. It isn't even about the size of it, since I don't mind the one on the Ferrari.

I was just ok with them until I saw this photoshop this morning of what the Mercedes W08 could look like with one, vast improvement.
16830704_2329288437209462_4213711362657287361_n.jpg

Maybe the fin should be 'see through' as some pics look like the merc above; as long as they make for good racing-we shall see.

I detest shark fins myself. A big part of the appeal of open wheel racers has always been the swooping rear edge to the engine cover. At their absolute worst, shark fins make the cars look like articulated lorries, and it's a shame that they're back because I think that the 2016 designs absolutely nailed the look of what a Formula One car should be. But if they must return, then I prefer the Sauber style with the scalloped rear edge (as opposed to Force India, who apparently drew a design of the car on a whiteboard and then forgot to remove the whiteboard when they built the car).

Back