GT Sport 4K HDR TV Settings (Help!)

• Thread starter Marky264
  • 29 comments
United Kingdom
Surrey, United
Marky264
Recently Purchased the Samsung "55 KS7000 (UK) KS8000 (US) for 4K Gaming on PS4. I Currently have a PS4 Non Pro so I wanted to utilise the HDR Feature & Will also be Upgrading to the PS4 Pro very soon to match the New TV etc.

I was wondering If anyone has the Samsung 7000 Series could shed some light on what TV Settings you're using to utilise the most accurate best Picture for GT Sport to make it look incredible as It is in the newest featured Pictures & Beta Footage available! I've been tickering around to try find the best pictures but If anyone has this Set in particular & Has some settings to share & other Settings to make sure HDR is set correctly please share! :)

Thanks very much guys, Will give them a try. Have seen some generic settings around Just thought If anyone had good ones for GT Sport would be a plus!
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

Use this site. I use it for TV reviews and to calibrate my Sony X800D too. They pretty much got any major brand tv.👍

To be honest, digital foundrys settings are pretty rubbish. I have bought a KS7500 because they recommended this model. Some games look terrific in HDR, like Horizon Zero Dawn, while others look a bit washed out in HDR mode, like Uncharted 4. I havent noticed much difference in GT Sport so far, but i prefer to play with HDR off right now. By the way, i played around for hours with settings in Uncharted 4, but that was no good. Horizon looks great without any tweaking.

To be honest, digital foundrys settings are pretty rubbish. I have bought a KS7500 because they recommended this model. Some games look terrific in HDR, like Horizon Zero Dawn, while others look a bit washed out in HDR mode, like Uncharted 4. I havent noticed much difference in GT Sport so far, but i prefer to play with HDR off right now. By the way, i played around for hours with settings in Uncharted 4, but that was no good. Horizon looks great without any tweaking.

This is consistent with my experience as well. I am using a 40 inch Samsung KU 6290 4K TV. It has one port that is HDR 10 compatible and I have used it extensively with my PS4 Pro and many games, including Horizon Zero Dawn, GT Sport and Uncharted 4. RaceFuchs is absolutely correct, Horizon Zero Dawn looks amazing with HDR. GT Sport has some upside, for example the colors of the buildings at Willow Springs look great, but it is generally pretty mediocre HDR support. Uncharted 4 is tough to see any real difference.

I tried HDR on/off again at Willow Springs. I think the whole image looks brighter with HDR off. You can even see it in the menus. With HDR on, the lighting looks more nuanced and natural. At least thats what i think.

You should play with the ingame brightness settings, though. This can have a great impact on the image. I would say the default setting is a bit dark for HDR.

Off topic: i love the music in this game... menu music to be more precise.

Last edited:
Hi weren't sure which thread to post this in but this one seemed appropriate for the problem im having. I have a 47 inch sony tv, and the menu for the GT sport beta doesn't fit the entire screen, i know that usually when you buy a game for the first time it givers you the option to choose the screen size, but this didn't happen when i booted up the beta for the first time, I've checked in the video output settings and this option isn't in there either. does anybody else have this problem.

Can anyone help? I am struggling to pair HDR with my TV (LG 49UH6xxx) and my PS4 Slim... in GTS, menu looks waaaay too dark, I cannot fix this in the TV setting (HDR Game mode is on, full backlight, full contrast...) in-game brightness is OK, I suppose, when I increase in-game brightness to something around +2.33 - which is a lot by the way...

In any other game I tested (Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous) the brightness is always too low, it looks very dimmed, even PS4 manu looks too dark.

I am starting to think that this is a problem with a standard PS4 as everyone is enjoying beatiful sceneries with PS4 Pro (even on my TV) but no one actually says anything relevant for standard PS4. @Marky264 have you gotten your Pro yet?

Oh and by the way, I watched Allied yesterday, in UHD, HDR and it looked phenomenal, it is not a problem with my TV.

Can anyone help? I am struggling to pair HDR with my TV (LG 49UH6xxx) and my PS4 Slim... in GTS, menu looks waaaay too dark, I cannot fix this in the TV setting (HDR Game mode is on, full backlight, full contrast...) in-game brightness is OK, I suppose, when I increase in-game brightness to something around +2.33 - which is a lot by the way...

In any other game I tested (Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous) the brightness is always too low, it looks very dimmed, even PS4 manu looks too dark.

I am starting to think that this is a problem with a standard PS4 as everyone is enjoying beatiful sceneries with PS4 Pro (even on my TV) but no one actually says anything relevant for standard PS4. @Marky264 have you gotten your Pro yet?

Oh and by the way, I watched Allied yesterday, in UHD, HDR and it looked phenomenal, it is not a problem with my TV.

On Samsung TVs there is something called auto-contrast correction, at least, its called “auto kontrast korrektur“ in german. I guess there is something similiar on LG TVs. This function changes contrast and brightness settings in three steps, low, mid and high. Digital foundry said you better leave it off, but they say a lot of things. At the end of the day, its your TV and your picture. Choose the settings you are most comfortable with.

I prefer to play GTSport in HDR with auto-contrast at low or mid. The picture gets a bit dark when its all turned off. It looks great with auto-contrast, but this wont apply to all HDR games!!

Its normal the menu looks a bit darker in HDR, its pretty much meant this way.

On Samsung TVs there is something called auto-contrast correction, at least, its called “auto kontrast korrektur“ in german. I guess there is something similiar on LG TVs. This function changes contrast and brightness settings in three steps, low, mid and high. Digital foundry said you better leave it off, but they say a lot of things. At the end of the day, its your TV and your picture. Choose the settings you are most comfortable with.

I prefer to play GTSport in HDR with auto-contrast at low or mid. The picture gets a bit dark when its all turned off. It looks great with auto-contrast, but this wont apply to all HDR games!!

Its normal the menu looks a bit darker in HDR, its pretty much meant this way.

I know, I have it set at high, still unacceptable dark menu :nervous: are you playing on Pro?

I played Uncharted 4 in HDR on Pro and i was never happy with the results. I saw that video some months ago but honestly most of these kind of videos are highly subjective.

I was very satisfied with HDR in Horizon, infamous. Resident Evil 7 had good HDR too, so does GT Sport. But in some games, like Uncharted, Last of Us or No Mans Sky, HDR didnt worked out for me. Its a complicated affair. But i always thought the Naughty Dog games looked washed out in HDR, while NMS looked totally oversaturated.

Have you tried other games in HDR?

I try to write down what GT Sports HDR does for me. Shadow areas show more detail in HDR, are more nuanced. You can see this in the tunnel at Dragon Trail. Some colours look more vivid in HDR, the mclaren orange is a great example. Overall the lightning is a bit more nuanced... realistic, perhaps. It looks a bit plain in SDR.

Still, i dont think this is a huge difference.

I try to write down what GT Sports HDR does for me. Shadow areas show more detail in HDR, are more nuanced. You can see this in the tunnel at Dragon Trail. Some colours look more vivid in HDR, the mclaren orange is a great example. Overall the lightning is a bit more nuanced... realistic, perhaps. It looks a bit plain in SDR.

Still, i dont think this is a huge difference.

I have tried other games, like Horizon and Ratchet and Clank. Horizon looks better with HDR but I have to increase brightness to 75% from 50%. Ratchet looks good too but since it doesn't have a brightness setting option it suffers from dark image again. Oh and my TV doesn't support wide color gamut so no realistic colour for me. My colors (especially white is just gray, again don't get it why) aren't better at all.

Sorry to hear that. I'm affraid i can't give you any advice at this point... it's impossible to tell if something is wrong with your TV from the distance. But if the game looks fine in SDR, maybe it's a better choice to let HDR turned off?

One of my friend have UHD 4K TV, we had a weekend movie/game night and did some experiment playing with the settings for HDR ( we were trying to make his HDR TV beat my plasma for gaming ) , this may help you :

Set TV to Game Mode - Samsung, I think it's the KS series ( the 8000 )
Back light 20
Dynamic Contrast Off
Smart LED High
HDMI UHD Color On
Color Space Auto
HDMI Black Level Auto

On PS4
Set all to Auto

If you see the Gamma is too high, lower it, -1 or -2.

I saw that your tv is LG, some of the options may be named differently.

Set TV to Game Mode - Samsung, I think it's the KS series ( the 8000 )
Back light 20
Dynamic Contrast Off
Smart LED High
HDMI UHD Color On
Color Space Auto
HDMI Black Level Auto

I have a similar TV, same generation (KS 7580).
You can't do much wrong with settings, but turning Dynamic Contrast "off" might result in the darker image @Lord Protector wasn't happy with. I would set it to "low" or "medium", at least for GT Sport.

I have a similar TV, same generation (KS 7580).
You can't do much wrong with settings, but turning Dynamic Contrast "off" might result in the darker image @Lord Protector wasn't happy with. I would set it to "low" or "medium", at least for GT Sport.

Dynamic contrast on Samsung HDTV in general ( not just 4K UHD tv ) is a post processing enhancement that interfere with proper calibration, and IMO when enabled on top HDR processing would not be ideal. I used to have Samsung LCD, and never used dynamic contrast as it crushes the black details. Dynamic contrast being disabled shouldn't cause darker image, though I think you meant less contrast, not brightness that makes it look darker.

I think your PS4 may have been set to full in black level ( RGB )@Lord Protector, if in game looks dark, likely from crushed black ( TV is set on low/limited, while PS4 on full )

EDIT : Reread what Lord Protector wrote, seems like his LG TV may have been set with black level on low and PS4 is on full. Also sometimes on PS4 when RGB Level is set on Auto, it may not properly adjusting to the TV connected.

Last edited:
HDR on my sony xd8599 has always a brighter image! because thats the point of hdr! getting the most out of a specific colour range like (bt2020 or bt709) combined with the peak brightness of the TV!

so my sony switches to hdr mode automatically and the picture is brighter and the colours are awesome!!
i dont know if this helps... but there is a lot of confusion going around this topic.
dont get me startet on 8bit panels vs. 10bit... ;)

i have a 8bit panel with frc, though sony dont communicate this with the customer (i sony rep told me)!

Dynamic contrast on Samsung HDTV in general ( not just 4K UHD tv ) is a post processing enhancement that interfere with proper calibration, and IMO when enabled on top HDR processing would not be ideal.

Technically you are right, of course. In most cases, i leave it off, too. However, i think people should try and look at it themselves... at least, it's not an forbidden option. If they are comfortable with it, it's okay.

HDR on my sony xd8599 has always a brighter image! because thats the point of hdr! getting the most out of a specific colour range like (bt2020 or bt709) combined with the peak brightness of the TV!

Well, it depends on the content. Some games really show the difference between bright spots and dark places (Resident Evil 7 and infamous First Light for example). But that's not the point in a game like GT Sport. In fact, i had the impression the lightning looks overall brighter with HDR turned off. While with HDR turned on, it looks more nuanced and natural.

To be frank, i bought this TV because Digital Foundry recommended it. However, i'm not totally blown away by the HDR effect. I have seen some other HDR TVs at TV stores as well... i don't have the impression my TV looks worse then those. But its complicated. The gaming press doesen't cover the HDR topic well... Digital Foundry does not do this either. Sometimes they say "this game looks great in HDR" and i think "it looks rubbish in HDR". In some other cases, they don't have much praise about the HDR support, but i'm like "this is looking great".

I get the impression some people are expecting too much from HDR... i speak to my friends and they wan't to buy a new TV just for HDR. Then i have to tell them... you should buy it for 4K. That's the game changer. HDR is just a nice bonus. In most cases.

Hey OP, I have the same tv, and these are the BEST settings Ive found, especially for White Balancing. Its from a guy who found it on AV Forums, who got it from another guy that had his TV professionally calibrated ( lol I know lol I know a guy that knows a guy that says its right. ), in any case, Its very accurate and I can be a bit OCD when it comes to tv colour settings,but I actually havnt tweaked the settings much since setting these. Im going to paste them here.

(PS, Im not in the GTsport beta, but others have have used them for the Beta and say its perfect.) However, Ive calibrated the PS3 profile to be the same as my PS4 profile on the t.v, with a tiny ajustment, GT6 looks fantastic as well.

Backlight 20
Brightness 41 < lower than default because whites will clip majorly at 45+100 contrast
Contrast 98 < calibrated using FFXV brightness setting in HDR mode, any higher and the cactuar will start to clip to where you can't see it.
Colour 49
Smart LED High
All processing stuff off
Gamma: +1
Color Space
Red
Red 28
Green 8
Blue 4
Green
Red 28
Green 50
Blue 10
Blue
Red 2
Green 7
Blue 40
Yellow
Red 50
Green 47
Blue 7
Cyan
Red 24
Green 46
Blue 48
Magenta
Red 34
Green 14
Blue 45
2 point
R offset -2
G offset 0
B offset -4
R gain 0
G gain 0
B gain 7

One ajustment I change, however, is colour to 50. (both PS3 and PS4 profile) and on PS3, I set it to Smart LED Medium, backlight 10

Anyone playing on an LG B6? The setups from DF and AVforums are a bit to dark for me and when i go more than 50 on brightens I get banding on the replays black stripes and so on. It may be a problem with the game thou.

I get the impression some people are expecting too much from HDR... i speak to my friends and they wan't to buy a new TV just for HDR. Then i have to tell them... you should buy it for 4K. That's the game changer. HDR is just a nice bonus. In most cases.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I picked up a Sony XBR-55X855D (10-bit HDR albeit a bit lacking on brightness) and plugged it into my vanilla PS4 and was instantly blown away by HDR. I got all excited thinking that when I upgraded to PS4 Pro that I was going to be floored by 4K, too. But it was somewhat of a disappointment. I have about 10 games that support both HDR and 3K/4K and honestly the jump from Full HD to 4K, at least in gaming, is not such a big deal. There ARE some stunning 4K videos on YouTube, though. Also, the Sony Camp and LG Chess 4K/HDR demos are absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous. So I was expecting a huge jump in fidelity with the Pro and it just wasn't there. Not even Horizon impresses much in 4K, but its HDR is fantastic.

What IS stunning is what HDR does to enhance the picture. I personally believe that HDR is the big step in the current generation of TVs, NOT 4K!

HDR requires HDMI 2.0a. PS4 and PS4 slim only have HDMI 1.4 ports hence the HDR looking weird. I'll try my friend's Pro on my TV this weekend, will report if it's different. I don't even understand why Sony decided to make HDR work on a system that can't send it to a TV properly...

This is partially false. The vanilla/slim PS4 does indeed have a 1.4 HDMI port, but it had enough built-in bandwidth to be able to get to 2.0 compliance via a firmware update. Enough bandwidth for HDR, but not enough for 4K. I was able to get HDR fine out of my vanilla PS4. When I upgraded to the PS4 Pro there was absolutely no noticeable difference in colors.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I picked up a Sony XBR-55X855D (10-bit HDR albeit a bit lacking on brightness) and plugged it into my vanilla PS4 and was instantly blown away by HDR. I got all excited thinking that when I upgraded to PS4 Pro that I was going to be floored by 4K, too. But it was somewhat of a disappointment. I have about 10 games that support both HDR and 3K/4K and honestly the jump from Full HD to 4K, at least in gaming, is not such a big deal. There ARE some stunning 4K videos on YouTube, though. Also, the Sony Camp and LG Chess 4K/HDR demos are absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous. So I was expecting a huge jump in fidelity with the Pro and it just wasn't there. Not even Horizon impresses much in 4K, but its HDR is fantastic.

What IS stunning is what HDR does to enhance the picture. I personally believe that HDR is the big step in the current generation of TVs, NOT 4K!

This is partially false. The vanilla/slim PS4 does indeed have a 1.4 HDMI port, but it had enough built-in bandwidth to be able to get to 2.0 compliance via a firmware update. Enough bandwidth for HDR, but not enough for 4K. I was able to get HDR fine out of my vanilla PS4. When I upgraded to the PS4 Pro there was absolutely no noticeable difference in colors.

Interesting...was thinking to upgrade one of my PS4s to pro after picking up an LG E6 OLED (4K+HDR10+Dolby vision) but to be honest i played more on the pc until i got GT Sport beta and i thought now it is a good time to pull the trigger. I did not expect to be blown away but at least i would notice the difference.

(Bit off topic here)
Agree with you on the HDR part, it really makes a huge difference but the world is not ready for 4K yet ... even in gaming
Almost everything we stream in 4K is compressed and the quality is lost accordingly. HEVC (H265) compresses 4k stream from 12 Gbps of to as low as 90 Mbps :crazy: :eek:
Unfortunately, there are not a lot of 4K HDR blu ray out there yet.
That's the only real 4K source where you see the difference between 1080p and 4K HDR....don't get it how Sony who won the disc war (blu ray vs HD DVD) is saying that streaming on the PS4 pro is the way to do. Will see if that is true with the next PS generation.

Back