Automotive Facelifts - For Better or Worse

MedigoFlame

Premium
United States
Maine
MedigoFlameX
I would like to apologize if this feels like another thread flooding the Cars in General forum. However, I feel like it would be nice to have a thread to specifically discuss the facelifts that cars get. Either improving the car's styling and/or quality (interior or exterior) during it's platform's lifespan. Sometimes these facelifts on cars help improve their exterior styling or an update in the interior (if you can consider it an interior facelift) can completely change a car for better or worse. I'll post up some of my own examples.

A reminder that these are facelifts (or refresh) of cars, not an all new generation. (Like 997 to 991 isn't a facelift) Also, facelift counts for the rear, if you'd prefer it to be called a rearlift or something along those lines.

For worse: I quite liked the current Corolla when it came out in 2014.
2014_toyota_corolla_sedan_s_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

But then for the 2017 year model...they did this:
2017_toyota_corolla_LIFE1_ot_1108161_1280.jpg

Interiors: The earlier JK Wranglers had some ugly cheap plastic and a PT Cruiser esque steering wheel.
2010-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-SUV-Sport-4dr-4x2-Interior.png

When Fiat took over, they managed to improve it quite a bit.
2016-jeep-wrangler-black-bear-edition-interior.jpg

For the better: The E90 3-Series improved with it's facelift. Especially the rear. The original E90 hasn't aged all that well.
attachment.php

Edit: For anyone unsure if what they're going to post is a facelift or not, it certainly helps to look at the greenhouse of the vehicle. Normally the easiest way to tell is by the A to C pillars not changing between model years. Hope this helps! The members here are always willing to help out if you aren't sure.

Last edited:
Can't post pics right now, but the Neon looked like a cheap piece of crap when it first came out, the later versions like the SX2.0 and the SRT4 looked pretty smart IMHO.

I like the '91 facelift for the Firebird quite a bit.
91-Trans-Am-Gta-5.jpg

For whatever reason, Pontiac chose to give the Firebird a comprehensive facelift in the eleventh hour (as the fourth gen Firebird was right around the corner). The new nose was the biggest change, reflecting the Banshee concept and foreshadowing the next Firebird. They also added extra cladding for Trans Ams, gave the spoilers a divit, and created a new grid-style taillight cluster for the GTA. A driver airbag also carried over after its introduction in 1990.
1992-pontiac-trans-am-57-jamaican-yellow-59k-miles-super-nice-hard-to-find-8.jpg

I'm more keen on the nose and GTA lights, the cladding still hasn't grown on me quite yet.

Toyota Camry XV50:

Pre facelift, looked a lot like the previous generaton:

post_id_4358_fdakT.jpg

Post facelift, is this considered even a facelift anymore?

photo_2017-05-25_11-46-25-1220x700.jpg

I don't mind that change at all so good job Toyota.

Toyota 86 on the other hand...

Pre facelift:
2012-Toyota-86-sd3q.jpg

2017 facelift:
2017_toyota_86_LIFE1_ot_907167_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Acura Integra LS

IntegraAd02-1986.jpg

1988_integra_3door_1.jpg

May appear like minor revisions to the bumper inlet and the inclusion of driving and corner lights, but it makes the car look more upscale. Even chopping spokes from the wheels, makes the '88 easier on the eyes.

Toyota Camry XV50:

Pre facelift, looked a lot like the previous generaton:

post_id_4358_fdakT.jpg

Post facelift, is this considered even a facelift anymore?

photo_2017-05-25_11-46-25-1220x700.jpg

I don't mind that change at all so good job Toyota.

Toyota 86 on the other hand...

Pre facelift:
2012-Toyota-86-sd3q.jpg

2017 facelift:
2017_toyota_86_LIFE1_ot_907167_1280.jpg

I would consider that a Camry facelift. As the new generation just came out and it's supposed to be a new platform. Best way to tell a facelift is the side windows. The greenhouse usually will look the same on most facelifted cars.

I do agree with the GT86 facelift. Though one benefit in North America at least, is the better LED headlights on the Toyota 86 over the previous Scion FR-S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread idea. 👍

I feel like the Tiburon ended up looking worse after its facelift both generations. But really, the first one is worse:

upload_2017-9-14_1-53-36.png

versus

upload_2017-9-14_1-54-22.png

It went from a sporty if slightly anonymous coupe to some sort of melty Celica mutant. The rear bumper was a mish-mash of busy detailing, too.

The Clio III surely deserves a mention too, going from this:

upload_2017-9-14_1-56-35.png

To this:

upload_2017-9-14_1-56-55.png

The facelift just made it look cheap. It doesn't look aggressive, it looks like someone punched it — and the only people that are going to think of F1 because of the wavy bumper are, well, F1 fans. Most anyone else is just going to think you've run into something, which I suppose isn't too much of a reach for a Clio...

Great thread idea. 👍

I feel like the Tiburon ended up looking worse after its facelift both generations. But really, the first one is worse:

View attachment 672592

versus

View attachment 672594

It went from a sporty if slightly anonymous coupe to some sort of melty Celica mutant. The rear bumper was a mish-mash of busy detailing, too.

I didn't realize the first generation Tiburon had a different front end before that. I always thought the four headlight one was the one and only look of the first generation.

I always forget about the mid-2000s Ford 500/Taurus. It was never a good looking car to begin with, but the (what I call) Gillette shaver facelift made it worse than it already was.
Ford_Five_Hundred_--_09-07-2009.jpg

1280px-2008-Ford-Taurus-SEL.jpg

The Acura RL was not a good facelift either.

Pre-facelift looked nice:
2008-acura-rl-12.jpg

To this:
505009996-3.jpg

The transition to Acura's beak nose went badly for the RL out of the rest of the lineup.

I didn't realize the first generation Tiburon had a different front end before that. I always thought the four headlight one was the one and only look of the first generation.

I always forget about the mid-2000s Ford 500/Taurus. It was never a good looking car to begin with, but the (what I call) Gillette shaver facelift made it worse than it already was.
Ford_Five_Hundred_--_09-07-2009.jpg

1280px-2008-Ford-Taurus-SEL.jpg

The Acura RL was not a good facelift either.

Pre-facelift looked nice:
2008-acura-rl-12.jpg

To this:
505009996-3.jpg

The transition to Acura's beak nose went badly for the RL out of the rest of the lineup.
Personally I think the 500 facelift is pretty good, went from "eww" to "meh".

On the Acura... eh. Not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of... any of their cars really, other than the NSX.

The new ones look like someone tried to turn the weird bubbly Taurus into a Cadillac by just shaving all the curves into sharp edges.

The Clio III surely deserves a mention too, going from this:

View attachment 672595

To this:

View attachment 672596

The facelift just made it look cheap. It doesn't look aggressive, it looks like someone punched it — and the only people that are going to think of F1 because of the wavy bumper are, well, F1 fans. Most anyone else is just going to think you've run into something, which I suppose isn't too much of a reach for a Clio...

This is one I felt was better. The prior always struck me as a little bland. Facelifted it's probably one of my favorite 'whale mouth' designs. Love it enough I'd very much like to import one when the time comes. A guilty pleasure of mine you could say. And I didn't know it was F1 inspired! Weird.

I don't want to post a picture of the 2018 Mustang. It looks like a punched little dawg.

The pre-facelift one was much, MUCH better.

For Better: Ford Focus Mk3.

Ditched this generic appearance...
Ford~Focus~new~(9).jpg

...For a much classier look.
2015-Ford-Focus-04.jpg

For Better: Toyota Yaris Mk3.

Again, quite annonymous looking
ToyotaYarisrange0911_794_529_70.jpg

Facelift 1 - Bigger grill and reworked headlights create a more upmarket look
Best-Affordable-Toyota-Car-Toyota-Yaris-2015-Advantages.jpg

Facelift 2 - Now it looks trendier with the bi-tone roof option
2017_toyota_yaris_hybrid_blue_dynamic_21.jpg

For Worse: Renault Twingo RS.

Before - Really admirable little hot hatch, loved the clean look with the extended wheel arches.
9109931912475800x530.jpg

Facelift - Sorry, who approved those headlights??
car_photo_562774.jpg

The first car that came to my mind when I was reading this thread is the Mercedes Benz SL Class (R230). While the original doesn't look offensive at all, I just don't quite like it:

2006-2008_Mercedes-Benz_SL_350_%28R_230%29_roadster_%282011-01-12%29_01.jpg

The facelift version, to me, adds a bit of elegance, freshness and a LOT of charm to the car:

Mercedes~SL~(10).jpg

The DB9 also deserves a mention in this thread. The original, while beautiful, was starting to age and lose a bit of its attractiveness, at least to me:

1200px-Aston_Martin_DB9_-_Flickr_-_Alexandre_Prévot_%2816%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

The facelift version kept up with the times and managed to retain its elegance at the same time:

2016-aston-martin-db9-gt-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-662971-s-429x262.jpg

Now time for the ones that I think looked worse since they received the treatment:

adnnsy8xbswr0sbk2g41.png

The original V8 Vantage looked better to me. The facelift version looked sportier, but somehow, I just don't think it suits the car very well. Same goes for the V12 engine.

AMV260006-r100.jpg

It's not an ugly car by any means, but it just doesn't look that good anymore.

Another worthy mention is the Tesla Model S.

hackers-shut-down-a-moving-tesla-model-s-photo-661143-s-450x274.jpg

While some of you may argue that it's simply redundant, it simply looks better with the faux-grille.

Red_Bay-1440.jpg

That's all I can think of right now.

While some of you may argue that it's simply redundant, it simply looks better with the faux-grille.

Red_Bay-1440.jpg

That's all I can think of right now.

Don't agree on the model S. And I never thought about it before, but it kinda looks like this:

latest

I think my main problem with the Model S facelift is that all the original promo images (like the red one above) looked Photoshopped. Somebody just clone-tooled the original faux-grille right off, without changing anything else!

The first car that came to my mind when I was reading this thread is the Mercedes Benz SL Class (R230). While the original doesn't look offensive at all, I just don't quite like it:

2006-2008_Mercedes-Benz_SL_350_%28R_230%29_roadster_%282011-01-12%29_01.jpg

The facelift version, to me, adds a bit of elegance, freshness and a LOT of charm to the car:

Mercedes~SL~(10).jpg

I found that facelift to be much better than the third one.
2014_mercedes-benz_sl-class_convertible_sl550_fq_oem_3_1280.jpg

The third facelift did not suit the body style at all. Same goes for the SLK.

Edit: I mean the 2nd facelift.

Also, Tesla's grill wasn't that bad. But now they're all these faceless cars that almost remind me of Harry Potter's Voldemort with no nose. (If you were to compare it to a person)

Last edited:
The DB9 also deserves a mention in this thread. The original, while beautiful, was starting to age and lose a bit of its attractiveness, at least to me:

1200px-Aston_Martin_DB9_-_Flickr_-_Alexandre_Prévot_%2816%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

The facelift version kept up with the times and managed to retain its elegance at the same time:

2016-aston-martin-db9-gt-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-662971-s-429x262.jpg

I'm the complete opposite on this. The Gen.1 DB9 was, and still is in my opinion, a beautiful looking car. Everything they did to it since (especially giving it that Virage front end) just did the car no favours.

I think my main problem with the Model S facelift is that all the original promo images (like the red one above) looked Photoshopped. Somebody just clone-tooled the original faux-grille right off, without changing anything else!

It struck me that way too. I'm getting used to it though, and now I just think it looks clean.

How i forgot about the Acura/Honda NSX?

Hidden/Pop out:
acura-nsx-c340903122012085412_9.jpg

Fixed:
c392629102012173943_5.jpg

Back when i was young and GT4 was still new, i remember preferring the newer look over the older one but as i grew up, i started to like the older one for having that sleeker look. The newer 2000's version still looks fantastic but it's not as good as the original IMO.

Facelift 2 - Now it looks trendier with the bi-tone roof option
2017_toyota_yaris_hybrid_blue_dynamic_21.jpg
[/SPOILER]

For Worse: Renault Twingo RS.

Before - Really admirable little hot hatch, loved the clean look with the extended wheel arches.
9109931912475800x530.jpg

Facelift - Sorry, who approved those headlights??
car_photo_562774.jpg
The same guy that approved the Juke's. ;)

Say, thaty Yaris looks really good(too bad the Swift Sport has revealed itself). I wouldn't mind it.

Before:
1200px-Mazda-RX-7-FD.jpg

After:
Mazda-RX-7-Spirit-R-9473.jpg

Before:
5c5d42365ea974311d9f249eecbb4bad.jpg

After:
82_Chevy-Corvette_Green_AC-06-CC_01.jpg

Before:
240976.jpg

After:
2013-Lamborghini-Gallardo-LP-560-4-Spyder-Convertible-Front-Three-Quarters-View-In-Motion-07.jpg

Before:
800px-Nissan_Primera_003.JPG

After:
800px-Nissan_Primera_P10_in_Aardenburg.JPG

How i forgot about the Acura/Honda NSX?

Hidden/Pop out:
acura-nsx-c340903122012085412_9.jpg

Fixed:
c392629102012173943_5.jpg

Back when i was young and GT4 was still new, i remember preferring the newer look over the older one but as i grew up, i started to like the older one for having that sleeker look. The newer 2000's version still looks fantastic but it's not as good as the original IMO.

Good call. I think when the facelift came out I hated it, and now I'm getting used to it. When the headlights are popped up on the old one I like the facelift better, but with the lights down on the old one it's far better (still) in my opinion.

Back