Karting - 100% fail - PD redo steering from scratch please

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 78 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
lol What a massive bag of fail that is.

Completely undriveable. This comes from a guy who has shelves filled with karting trophies.

On a wheel you have to use the teeny tiniest steering input in or it spins. I'm talking just a couple of degrees and there is no way to reduce the steering sensitivity other than the FFB, which does help but it's still a couple of degrees of movement. The moment you have to take avoiding action and use more input, you're doomed. Yes karts have very fast racks but a well setup kart you should be able to have around 45 degrees of useable steering, not 2!

I'm guessing pad users have no problems from what I've just seen.

I'm trying to fixate on the red dot and keep it as close to the middle as possible.

Why is it these driving sims can't get karts right? PC1 was extremely bad as well.

While I don't have "shelves filled with karting trophies," I thought the karting was extremely fun and had no issues whatsoever. It may have some underlying issues that someone of my amateur-stock could not identify, but still, labeling it as "completely undriveable" sounds a bit hyperbolic.

Last edited:
Karting is hugely enjoyable and seems to be going down well with users.

It was a surprise to me as I usually stay well clear of such things.

While I don't have "shelves filled karting trophies," I thought the karting was extremely fun and had no issues whatsoever. It may have some underlying issues that someone of my amateur-stock could not identify, but still, labeling it as "completely undriveable" sounds a bit hyperbolic.
It is drive able if you master the art of tiny movements...it is horrible in its state with wheel users right now. I use a g29 and I don't enjoy driving the cart right now

I've been looking around the options to see if there is a way to reduce the steering sensitivity or the steering rack but I can't find any. Technically they handle fine, it's just the steering is completely wrong. If you go outside of the 2 degrees of useable steering, you've had it.

A video wouldn't help much I think because you can't see my steering usage. You will see the red dot move no more than a few pixels either side of the white dot but that is all.

If you are a player who steers like this (left, left, lef, left,) you should change and you will see it becomes easier.
I mean, don't steer by moving the joystick left, releasing a bit then moving left again. (I'm doing this too though)
Instead, just start steering slowly and keep the steering steady.
Steer and release with a "tempo" not by moving your thumb to the direction fast.
I don't know if you understand.

If you are a player who steers like this (left, left, lef, left,) you should change and you will see it becomes easier.
I mean, don't steer by moving the joystick left, releasing a bit then moving left again. (I'm doing this too though)
Steer and release with a "tempo" not by moving your thumb to the direction fast.
What does that even mean?

Karting physics are tough and all devs struggle with it, even in the dedicated kart sims. As many know, kart handling depends a great deal on chassis flex, tire pressures, caster angles, front camber etc. It requires a whole separate layer of simulation to get it just right.

What does that even mean?
I was sure about that.
Well, if you need to turn right for example.
As you approach the turn you will brake and start steering. Some steer by moving their thumb right for one time, then they release the steering (for like 0.1 sec) and then steering again and continuing to do this until they come back to the straight.
Doing this while driving a kart, will result in a wheel spin and loss of control. You need to start moving your thumb to the right slowly until you steer completely and release it slowly back aswell. That's what I mean. Don't steer to the direction you want too fast.

Same with giving gas. After a turn you don't have to go full throttle especially when driving fast cars because this will result in a spin. Give half gas and then start giving more as you gain some speed. When you exit the corner and you are going straight just go full throttle

I was sure about that.
Well, if you need to turn right for example.
As you approach the turn you will brake and start steering. Some steer by moving their thumb right for one time, then they release the steering (for like 0.1 sec) and then steering again and continuing to do this until they come back to the straight.
Doing this while driving a kart, will result in a wheel spin and loss of control. You need to start moving your thumb to the right slowly until you steer completely and release it slowly back aswell. That's what I mean. Don't steer to the direction you want too fast.

Same with giving gas. After a turn you don't have to go full throttle especially when driving fast cars because this will result in a spin. Give half gas and then start giving more as you gain some speed. When you exit the corner and you are going straight just go full throttle
Ok I understand that, but we are talking about wheels here.

I personally like the Kart Physics. I like that the fact the slightest notch will destabilise the Kart. I race Kart's in real life and going at speed of 100mph in a shifter Kart you are not going to get the same turning circle as a Sodi Kart (Most rental Karts that most have driven at an Arrive & Drive Venue.

They're an improvement over GT5 & GT6 but they don't need to start from scratch Just need to continue improving it. As a comment further up mentioned It's very difficult to replicate Kart Physics in a game.

Last edited:
This is the opposite of how you drive a kart in real life. Lock to lock steering in a kart takes a fraction of a second and all inputs happen at a lightening pace as karts have probably the best seat of your pants feel of any kind of motorsport.

I personally like the Kart Physics. I like that the fact the slightest notch will destabilise the Kart. I race Kart's in real life and going at speed of 100mph in a shifter Kart you are not going to get the same turning circle as a Sodi Kart (Most rental Karts that most have driven at an Arrive & Drive Venue.

Ok so someone who will fully understand. Yes the steering is very fast and very direct, but it real life it's easy to be precise and depending on how you set the rack, caster etc. you will still have quite a few degrees of steering to play with. You can set as much as around 50 degrees of movement for lock to lock.

I've since measured the usable steering on my wheel and it's 4 degrees total movement - 2 deg left or right. Keeping in that range takes all your focus. Ride a kerb and the FFB will yank the wheel well beyond that range. Then you're into a countersteer battle of hell. How much usable steering angle are you getting?

PC1 had the same issue by default, but you could change the steering rack and wheel sensitivity to make them much more usable.

@mattikake

@zzz_pt

What wheel do you use?

I can change my T300 RS degrees of rotation on the fly by hitting the mode button and left or right on the d-pad. (left decreases it in steps, right increases). Other wheels also do this, I used to do it with my G27. Google is your friend.

I use 900 degrees in the karts for daily race A and it really makes things so much more proper. There is a catch though. The game sets the degrees of rotation for each car. This happens anytime you hit the pause button or leave a session. So I have to set the DoR every time I start driving. Having to do it quickly as soon as a race starts can be hairy.

It really is undrivable otherwise.

Last edited:
I have a T300RS and know how to drive karts (have done so quite often).

It's true that it sucks at the moment. We have to use only about 4 degrees of rotation (2 to each side) and after that is a dancing fest. I can't imagine how it would be to drive them around a shorter circuit with tight corners...

Would be nice if we could see some improvements soon.

T150 user here and the karts are completely undrivable. I tried for 20 minutes to complete a lap and couldn't. Came here to see if others were having the same issue.

It's definitely a wheel issue, because I tried driving with the controller and although it was still a little tail-happy, it was manageable.

Last edited:
It feels different from GT6, closer to AMS karting. But I never felt kart translated well what I experienced driving one. Although I've never driven one at ~150km/h either which should alter the dynamics completely.

Karting on a wheel is very tough.

Sure, you can get used to it and learn to use extremely small inputs but its by far the hardest thing in the game to date.
I highly doubt anyone with a wheel will report back saying its easy.

I have a T300RS and know how to drive karts (have done so quite often).

It's true that it sucks at the moment. We have to use only about 4 degrees of rotation (2 to each side) and after that is a dancing fest. I can't imagine how it would be to drive them around a shorter circuit with tight corners...

Would be nice if we could see some improvements soon.

T150 user here and the karts are completely undrivable. I tried for 20 minutes to complete a lap and couldn't. Came here to see if others were having the same issue.

It's definitely a wheel issue, because I tried driving with the controller and although it was still a little tail-happy, it was manageable.

Karting on a wheel is very tough.

Sure, you can get used to it and learn to use extremely small inputs but its by far the hardest thing in the game to date.
I highly doubt anyone with a wheel will report back saying its easy.

Guys, try changing your degrees of rotation. You can do it through a combination of button presses on your wheel. Logitech, Thrustmaster wheels can do this. Fanatec as well, although it works differently there of course.

Makes a world of difference.

Back