How do you feel about rally in GTS?

• Thread starter Tekku
  • 127 comments
Sweden
Umeå
I don't see much talk about the rally. It's a rather small portion of the game (like most GT games) and it's not really highlighted in the Sport Mode.

Personally I feel like they've made a poor job of making the rally physics intuitive and fun. The tarmac racing has a good balance between being realistic and inclusive, but the rally portion of the game doesn't maintain any of that. The cars either slide very far or dig into the gravel in a rather strange fashion. It doesn't feel like you're handling a car that was built for rally purpose. And many of the lap times in driving school can be cleared without even sliding the car, which seems very awkward to me. There were several occasions where I just went with the old "slow in, fast out" approach by braking hard and turning in carefully, and this rewarded me with gold.

I don't know. There was more joy to the rally portion during the early Playstation era, where you had the classic rally cars and a lot of fantasy tracks. And the physics were not as complicated as they are here; you could very much predict the movement of the car and make the turns as they approached. But I'm finding myself asking the question why PD even makes the effort if it's gonna be this mediocre.

What are your feelings on this?

Last edited:
My God that is a loaded question. It is by far the worst Rally of any game I have played. I hate it so much that I will never get the special cars that you get for getting gold in all the campaign stuff because as soon as I get bronze I never want to see it again.

The rally physics are terrible. Maybe the worst I have experienced in a supposed simulation game. I can't begin to imagine what sport mode races would look like on the dirt tracks #carnage

Haha. Something we can agree on.

The rally physics are terrible. Maybe the worst I have experienced in a supposed simulation game. I can't begin to imagine what sport mode races would look like on the dirt tracks #carnage

Which is also why there is little to no talk about it, no one will want to rally in this game as it currently is.

My God that is a loaded question. It is by far the worst Rally of any game I have played. I hate it so much that I will never get the special cars that you get for getting gold in all the campaign stuff because as soon as I get bronze I never want to see it again.

Haha. Something we can agree on.
lol! I know what you mean but I had to get gold on everything that I persevered. You can learn how to drive to be quick but it's so counterintuitive and so far from reality that it's not funny and a complete chore!

In GT5/6, rally wasn't really good IMO. I find it better in GT Sport, even if it isn't as good as Dirt Rally (maybe for GT Sport 10 lol). There are only few tracks and events featuring it, and as you mentioned, you will be faster being slow in turn instead of sliding...
I don't really understand the reason PDi added this mode.

Never bothered to be honest. Dirt rally is still the ultimate rally game for me.
Yes very good game but I'd also throw SLRE into the ring. If you can look past the woeful graphics some of the stage design is top notch and the physics are very good.

I keep forgetting rally exists in GT Sport. Could probably just remove it from the game and I wouldn't notice.

Might be fun to do a road course race with the cars but, judging by the events like that in the campaign, it seems like the cars have completely different handling model that the other cars. Like it's not just the tires.

For me, rally in GT has always been interesting and more fun than the tarmac driving simply because of it's challenging inconsistent physics. Tarmac driving in GT titles always felt predictable and simply too easy even with the lowest grade tyres. But with rally, I just never knew exactly how a car was going to react to my inputs. Many times the car would react in the opposite of my intention leaving for an interesting surprise.

Yes very good game but I'd also throw SLRE into the ring. If you can look past the woeful graphics some of the stage design is top notch and the physics are very good.

Totally agree. I played it when released and was lucky enough to get the season pass (5 DLCs) on day 1 ;) (don’t ask how :lol:)

Rally lobbies are literally bumper car racing. If you go in knowing what to expect it's OK in some childish way. What's most fun is creating the lobbies then adding full damage... The offenders can either limp around at 30 or quit. So it becomes a last man standing scenario. Which gives me the idea for a lobby title... At least I will get full room!

It's awful, it is so half baked it really shouldn't be in the game at all. The idea that PD sees rally racing as driving in a circle with tight invisible walls/plastic netting made of steel it just makes the idea of "rally racing" so bland and boring in GT. I can't stand it. Esp after playing other games which at least try to get the feel of being able to drive on the edge like this:

It's comfortably the worst rallying experience on consoles this year. WRC 7, DiRT 4, PCARS2 — you'd get a lot more out of the experience from any of those. Rallying has long felt an odd inclusion in the GT series, but it's even more out of place here in Sport. Really not sure why it was included, considering its absence in the eponymous mode. Seems like a lot of effort to use the evocative "Group B" label. Admittedly, those cars do make me wish the companies involved made real-world versions.

Can we all agree for a moment that what is in Sport isn't rally? In fact, it's just about the direct opposite of rally. Calling it rally and comparing it to "proper" rally games is wrong on every level bar the "they race on more than asphalt" level. The closest GT has come to rally was those Special Events in GT5.

That's not me saying it's a perfect mode, because although I find you *can* have fun with it, it isn't. That's me saying that calling this rally is mislabeling of the highest degree.

Rally lobbies are literally bumper car racing. If you go in knowing what to expect it's OK in some childish way. What's most fun is creating the lobbies then adding full damage... The offenders can either limp around at 30 or quit. So it becomes a last man standing scenario. Which gives me the idea for a lobby title... At least I will get full room!

so no different from my Peugot VGT race at BB raceway against AI :lol:

I don't mind the rally per se, its more forgiving when you learn the track some 5 laps in, and watch your entry speeds, and don't over rev, kick it up a gear. this is GTS rally as it was since GT5.

I like rallying but in this game its only fun if I'm not trying to win. I got golds on all the rally stuff (save for fishermans ranch circuit experience, havent attempted that yet) but the game makes it so boring. Part of the rally fun is sliding around in a barely controllable slide and the game is like "no, to be fast you must have no fun at all" and you essential brake the hell out of every tight corner and part throttle through till you're straight enough to smash the gas.

Mission 8-4 was a nightmare. It didn't take a super long time to gold but as someone else already said, its just a chore to rally in this game. Trying to pass slow ass cars without even bumping or slightly grazing the car or a wall is really tedious

I quite like it, have just golded the circuit experience rally tracks.

It's not accurate, but with a rig / wheel, once you get into the groove of how it handles, it's not a bad "arcade game", it's quite fun.

I don’t like it and won’t touch it. So basically if I want rally there’s other games I can play. Not a big issue for me though as I am mainly a track racer.

Back