Awuzo5.jpg

1v7w76.jpg

V6O3I7.jpg

aoJE3C.jpg

jg6fN8.jpg

fJir9H.jpg

7Tr95E.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, I can't even begin to imagine how next-gen GT will look like. The cars are so close to reality now, it's only the tracks that are a bit behind.
We're at a point of severely diminishing returns in terms of the static versions of the cars IMO, with this iteration of GTS. Most of my friends cannot tell that the car in a scape is from the game. Other games have various leaps and bounds to make to catch up visually. The next level would be in the details and the physics IMO. Tires that flex like real tires, cars that sound real throughout the rev range, realistic looking damage, realistic physics simulation etc. Tracks of course have further to go.

Compare GT5 to GT sport. GT5 had a better lighting engine than 6 and had higher LOD. The only photo mode location I could honestly tolerate in GT6 was that center for the arts and sciences at night. all the other ones had awful reflections/ lighting.

Nice work @emula 👍

@ImaRobot Remember last year when we were talking about a noticeable gap in quality between the two? Do you see it yet?
Not really, if I'm honest. However, I do notice the difference and have for some time now. Where there really seems to be a massive difference is materials and textures, though, more than anything else. Those headlight housings look great with how the light reflects off them.

Nice work @emula 👍

@ImaRobot Remember last year when we were talking about a noticeable gap in quality between the two? Do you see it yet?
I would never have noticed myself because I never looked at cars that close up. I didn't spend any time in photomode I spent all my time on the track where the difference in polygons would not be noticeable to me in premium cars. Surface reflections, shaders and the whole lighting engine are obvious inprovements but had they kept the same mesh and just improved the rest I'd have never known it while playing the game.

Just want to point out that the PS3 is rendering a 3D scene in the background while the PS4 has a photograph and all the rendering power is dedicated to the car model.

The most astonishing difference for me is the lighting. And I though GT6 was already pretty good. But it pales in comparison to GT Sport.

I would never have noticed myself because I never looked at cars that close up. I didn't spend any time in photomode I spent all my time on the track where the difference in polygons would not be noticeable to me in premium cars. Surface reflections, shaders and the whole lighting engine are obvious inprovements but had they kept the same mesh and just improved the rest I'd have never known it while playing the game.

But polygons were not my only point. If you remember I stated a few reasons as to why the models, if straight up ported, would not look as good and I also stated that each of these together would all add up to a more consistent game, content wise. The main ones were probably polys, PBR textures and sound. A contributor to fact that the lighting now looks better than back then is partly down to that the cars have more textures to calculate the lighting off.

These are textures that would not have existed because there was no need for them back then, even if they did exist they would have been reworked to match the data for materials they got from that third party company someone linked here during the development of GTSport. Even if they had all these textures and all the said values, they still would have had to be redone because of the changes to the meshes UV map(s) (see added geometry on Cobra).

I also gave a few hypothetical but plausible reasons to rework, but it's not worth addressing those because we simply will never know. I also give a specific example on lighting and how it would play out if not reworked. It would have been the last gen all over again for me, not necessarily polygon wise but textures/lighting and sound. Just as big a gap in my eyes to be honest having worked with these two different methods for the last 2 years or so. But hey, at least we see, but more importantly, get to reap the benefits of this design choice now.

Emula basically proved what @Johnnypenso and i were talking about. Polyphony reused/updated the meshes and created new textures/shaders

I don't have problem with old models being used in game to be honest. Besides, if there are some parts or areas that needed and possible to do correction and touchups for better results then why not? Also, much practical and less time consuming than rebuild the model again from ground up in my opinion.

Last edited:
This is the list of all the cars that make full use of the tessellation in GT6 (in bold the cars that already are in GTS)

Acura NSX CONCEPT '13
Aston Martin One-77 '11
Ayrton Senna LOTUS 97T '85
BMW M4 Coupé
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '13

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe '11
Chevrolet SS 2013 NASCAR
Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) '63
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) '14
Chevrolet Corvette StingRay Racer Concept '59
DeltaWing 2013 DeltaWing
DeltaWing sponsored by Nissan at LeMans 2012