2018 Moto GP/WSBK/BSB etc thread

England
Northamptonshire
Ryanswannell
As the first round of WSBK starts in just under 2 months I thought it'd be ok to set up a 2018 motorcycle racing thread. Any predictions for the upcoming racing season?

WSBK:
I'd be very surprised if Jonathan Rea doesn't win another season at Kawasaki, would love to see him take a role at Moto GP in the future to see how he does against the best. Hopefully Sykes or Davies can challenge him a little more this year though.

Moto GP:
I think it goes without saying that we can expect Marquez to be challenging for his 7th title, but it will be interesting to see if Dovizioso can fight him from the off, as well as Vinales.
I'm also very excited to see how Zarco will fair this year, he's looked fantastic throughout last year for someone on a satellite bike. Got to be favourite for Rossi's seat when he hangs his helmet up if he performs well again?

Finally there's BSB:
Looking forward to watching Brookes on a factory Yamaha, can definitely expect him to put up a good fight against Byrne and Haslam right to the end. I'll also be keeping a very keen eye on Jake Dixon racing for the RAF racing team, he's had some cracking performances last year.

So who will you guys be rooting for this year?

I'm usually quite neutral nowadays when it comes to allegiances. I'm more than content to see some good racing no matter what form it takes, or who's involved. 👍

Pretty much agree with everything above, plus it'll be interesting to see how Hutchinson deals with the Honda when TT week comes around. I know last year was quite the PR disaster for the team, but perhaps for 2018 they've been able to turn things around. The fact they've signed Hutchy must surely be a sign of their intentions.

Also, the 40th running of the Dakar starts this week. Will be intriguing to see if Sunderland can defend his crown riding the KTM again.

The Yamaha MotoGP team have got a big hill to climb. With Rossi, Vinales and Zarco all agreeing to dump the 2017 bike and use the 2016 version as a basis for this year's M1, they really need to hit the ground running at the first tests in February now that Ducati has joined the fight for honours alongside Honda.

I've got a feeling KTM will be making their presence felt too in some capacity, and based on the end of season results from Oliveira and Binder, the Moto2 team look to be the pre-season favourites in that particular championship. Their 2017 bike looked an absolute treat. :cool:

I'm usually quite neutral nowadays when it co
I've got a feeling KTM will be making their presence felt too in some capacity, and based on the end of season results from Oliveira and Binder, the Moto2 team look to be the pre-season favourites in that particular championship. Their 2017 bike looked an absolute treat. :cool:
I do like the teams paint scheme, probably the best in the Moto series.
166971_bradley-smith-ktm-rc16-2017_0.gallery_full_top_md.jpg

Either that or the Marc VDS scheme

_gh28815.jpg

To be honest, I've never been entirely sold on the Marc VDS livery.

It's like the designers couldn't make their minds up on which colour should be the prime, so they just threw them all together.

Alberto Puig has been announced as HRC team manager. An interesting choice because, despite being a very accomplished manager, he's not the most likeable person and really doesn't see eye to eye with Alzamora, Marquez' personal manager. A bit more detail on it here:
https://motomatters.com/news/2018/01/12/alberto_puig_appointed_repsol_honda_team.html
I have to be honest, I don't know an awful lot about the situation between Puig and Marquez manager.

Any real likelihood of any disruption being caused? It surely must be in everybody's interest for any past events to be water under the bridge as Honda surely won't want to lose the best rider on the grid at present, nor can I really see Marquez wanting to switch teams in the near future.

On another note, I read an article where Yamaha said they would likely stop supplying bikes to Tech3 in favour of VR46 should he choose to set up a team in the GP class once he hangs up his helmet.
This begs the question who could we see providing Tech3 some satellite bikes should this happen?
KTM or Suzuki perhaps?

Source: https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/133761/yamaha-would-choose-rossi-team-over-tech3

I read an article where Yamaha said they would likely stop supplying bikes to Tech3 in favour of VR46 should he choose to set up a team in the GP class once he hangs up his helmet.
This begs the question who could we see providing Tech3 some satellite bikes should this happen?
KTM or Suzuki perhaps?

Whatever Rossi decides to do beyond his racing career is something only he can decide.

That said, if he did decide to enter a VR46 MotoGP team, and if everything Poncharal claims comes to pass, it's difficult to give a definitive answer mostly because of the countless variables that were at play in 2017. For example, it was KTM's first season, so they had concessions that allowed an accelerated rate of development whereas Suzuki did not due to their 2016 results.

The performance of both teams could be completely different in a couple of years time: Tech 3 may well decide that neither is right for them and go looking elsewhere. For all we know, maybe one of the satellite Ducati teams will have moved on and freed up a couple of slots.

----------

As for Puig's promotion, I'd suspect that a lot of what happened between himself and Alzamora has been put behind them. Though it will be intriguing to see how things play out.

I honestly haven't been able to keep up with motorcycle road racing for quite some time. I used to avidly watch MotoGP and World Superbike. I do still enjoy motorcycles as much as I do cars. If I can, I do want to see how this season of MotoGP goes across all classes.

A couple more images of the new Ducati Motogp bike.
FB_IMG_1516025815157.jpg
_8504906.middle.jpg
_8505182.middle.jpg
_alx3579-2.middle.jpg

I'm not a massive fan of the aero package personally, rest of the bone looks ok though.
Anyone know the dates of the other manufacturers bike reveals?

Top marks for the livery. :cool: Plus it looks like Dovi's officially got Red Bull backing.

Apparently that bike is the GP17. The GP18 will see action for the first time at the first pre-season test in Malaysia.

As for the rest of the field, the only confirmed one I can find so far is Movistar Yamaha: 24th January.

Top marks for the livery. :cool: Plus it looks like Dovi's officially got Red Bull backing.
I love the luminous red colour they are using, similar to their factory World Superbike and 1199 Superleggera albeit in a matte form. It looks incredible in the flesh :drool:.

ducati-1199-superleggera-photo-leak-04.jpg

Apparently that bike is the GP17. The GP18 will see action for the first time at the first pre-season test in Malaysia
Ah ok, the different wing and tail design made me assume it's the 18 model.

I love the luminous red colour they are using, similar to their factory World Superbike and 1199 Superleggera albeit in a matte form. It looks incredible in the flesh :drool:.

Agreed. Seeing the colour on screen doesn't truly convey just how vivid it is in person.

Ah ok, the different wing and tail design made me assume it's the 18 model.

It's something Ducati have been doing in recent years. At the 2017 launch they used the GP16 without its double decker wings to showcase the new livery.

motogp-ducati-desmosedici-gp17-launch-2017-jorge-lorenzo-ducati-team.jpg

Yet when testing began, and the season itself started, the GP17 broke cover. The biggest giveaway was the "growth" on the tail that moved the exhaust to the right-hand side.

BA1X3795.jpg

Rumours were rife as to what it was, with many speculating that it was a shock absorber/mass damper of some kind to combat front end chatter. I think Ducati went on record towards the end of the season saying it was simply a re-housing of the electronic components (moving them from their natural home on top of and around the airbox), supposedly as the first step in introducing the aero fairings to the GP17 later on.

Probably makes sense that they couldn't stay where they were given the shrink-wrapped bodywork around the airbox.

558562-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it's going to be a no-show from Jonas Folger. He's elected to sit out the 2018 MotoGP season to focus on recovering from Gilbert Syndrome, which forced him out of the final few rounds of 2017. It's a common genetic disorder that affects between 2-5% of the world's population, and results in the liver being unable to process toxins effectively.

With the first pre-season test in Malaysia just under 2 weeks away, and the first race in Qatar 2 months away, Herve Poncharal and Tech 3 must be splitting hairs.

It's a real shame about Folger, a very brave decision as well. I hope there's a decent bike for him when he comes back but there's a lot of fast guys who will be fresh in the minds of team bosses come silly season.
As for who replaces him, I've no idea but you'd think most people would jump at the chance. The only problem is that the quick riders have contracts that are difficult (expensive) to get out of.

Yamaha have unveiled this year's MotoGP livery:
FB_IMG_1516801770127.jpg
FB_IMG_1516801762536.jpg

Mostly the same besides swapping the green Movistar logo for a white one.

Moto Rapido Ducati BSB have also announced that former Superstock 1000 champion Taylor Mackenzie will be filling in for John Hopkins this season. His brother also will also be racing in BSB for McAms Yamaha this year.

Moto Rapido Ducati BSB have also announced that former Superstock 1000 champion Taylor Mackenzie will be filling in for John Hopkins this season. His brother also will also be racing in BSB for McAms Yamaha this year.

Alongside Josh Brookes if I remember right, swapping seats with James Ellison who's now with Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha.

I prefer the new Yamaha livery, especially without the red belly pan.

David Johnson will ride the TT for Shaun Muir's team on this sexy beast:
gulf-bike-818.jpg

Yonny Hernandez will test the Tech 3 in Sepang next week, final decision yet to be made. Hernandez has an agreement with Pedercini for WSB this year but no contract signed.

There's currently a private test in Sepang and, as you'd expect, Stoner is going about a week faster than the other test riders. Suzuki have let Josh Waters, Toni Elias and Michael Dunlop have a go as rewards for their 2017 performances.

First Session of MotoGP testing at Sepang has just finished. Extract below taken from the MotoGP site:

Pedrosa, Dovizioso, Lorenzo: the fastest three on Day 1
Repsol Honda Team rider blasts to the top late on the first day of testing for 2018, ahead of a late Ducati charge

The first day of Official 2018 action began wet at Sepang International Circuit, with the majority of the field setting some laps but then waiting it out as the track began to dry. So the season began on wets, before slicks began to appear up and down pitlane. Fastest by the end of the session was Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa, as the pole lap record holder at the track ended the day more than three tenths clear of 2017 runner up Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team). Dovizioso’s teammate Jorge Lorenzo was third quickest, just 0.032 in arrears.

Honda have also joined the other manufacturers in fitting aero parts.

It seems like most of the factories are taking inspiration from the post-Brno 2017 Ducati aero fairings. Yamaha's looks like an evolution of the prototype they used in the post-season test at Valencia last year.

Wing3.jpg

Wonder if these will become outlawed soon like the wings a few seasons ago?

Depends I suppose on how elaborate they become, and if the factories end up starting an arms race that could potentially send costs spiralling out of control. As things stand, because they're not "uncovered" like the 2016 selection of winglets, and do not exceed the maximum body width stipulated by the FIM, anything goes.

These are some sweet motorcycles! MotoGP rarely disappoints, and I'm sure these things will be fun to watch leaning in the corners and such.

Zulfahmi Khairuddin is moving to the SIC Moto 2 team where Hafiz Syharin was supposed to be, so the fish looks to be going to Tech 3.

Kicking off in 2019, the Enel MotoE World Cup will be contested on electric bikes built by Italian firm Energica in 5 races across Europe, with a view to expand the calendar into new territories in the future. 14 of the 18 spots on the grid have been allocated to satellite MotoGP teams and a further two each to Moto2 and Moto3 teams.

The MotoE bike certainly looks the part I'll give them that 👍.
Hopefully it makes for some exciting racing just like the other three classes.

I know it has been said a thousand times when it comes to electric vehicles, but I can't imagine it being much of a spectacle in person as the soundtrack is pretty non-existant. There's nothing like the sound of hearing the V4 of the Hondas being chased by the twin pulse V4 Ducatis, shortly followed by the roaring I4 of Rossi and Vinales Yamahas :bowdown:. (Or your preferred order :sly:)

It is very much like the current sound produced by the Formula E cars: a sort of mechanical whistle as they race past.

Personally, as much as I approve of all the sounds of the MotoGP grid, something about the Yamaha's crossplane inline-4 does it for me. 👍

Earlier today aruba.it Ducati unvieled the livery for their final V-twin Ducati superbike before moving to the V4 in 2019, which remains largely the same as last year. Still my favourite livery at the moment due to the insane luminous red 👍

FB_IMG_1518028199168.jpg

So it looks like John McGuinness will return to the Isle of Man TT onboard a Norton, joining Josh Brookes to compete in the Superbike and Senior Races.

At the time of posting, he's still recovering from the leg break he picked up during last year's North West 200, but is hoping to be ready in time to race with the Donington Park-based marque when the TT comes around.

Back