Sport mode is stressful

• Thread starter ColinNZ
  • 108 comments
New Zealand
NZL
colinnola
So when I woke up this morning, my fitbit informed me that I'd done 20 minutes of exercise during the night. Which was news to me. A quick look on the app showed me that my heart rate had hit the mid 130s for around 20 mins just after midnight, which correlates well with a particularly close race in the final nation's cup race.

Does anybody else get their heart pounding during races?

Well I remember my first FIA race :D my heart was pumping like crazy I was really nervous and almost had a nervous breakdown when the other guy divebombed me :D since then I just don't care because I almost broke my wrist from repeating punching the wheel :D

Was first in the Nz rankings, so wanted a good result (even though it's meaningless at this point).

I posted a meme on these boards not too long ago, because I actually feel this too.

In video games, I just about never get anxious or stressed out and sweaty. Final circle of a Battle Royale? Nothing. Intense fight during a perma-death game? No sweat. Heck, I've played Guitar Hero in actual real life tournament grand finals and wasn't stressed out at all. It's weird because I'm generally a pretty anxious and stressed out person, I just don't get that way with video games.

But in GT Sport... I kind of do, for some reason. I have no idea why. I'll finish a race top 3 feeling cool as a cucumber, then put a hand on my chest and realize only after the fact that my heart was racing just as hard.

I guess it's true that motorsports take nerves of steel, even virtual motorsports.

Unexpectedly starting in pole, not knowing the proper braking point for launching from that position, with a couple of 3 bar connections lined up behind you, yes very stressful. However since I'm back in B/S I don't have to worry about starting in pole any more! Still stressful starting in between laggy connections though. I prefer not qualifying and easing into it instead of that first corner stress.

Doing the GT League Porsce Endurance race clean in an N400 Porsche was pretty stressful. It took 7 attempts to get the clean bonus with that under powered car and unruly AI, yet for 756k / 13.5k xp reward it was worth it! The stakes in sport mode are pretty low, not much to win or lose.

I guess it's true that motorsports take nerves of steel, even virtual motorsports.

This statement is so true both virtual and when you are on track. My profession puts a lot of people in from of me, which also puts me in front of them. Relationships are formed so on and so forth.

What amazes me about it is once I let them into what I love to do and tell them about the experiences of racing it turns into 1 of 2 responses. The best is always the normal first question, "How fast do you go?"; but it is the response I get by few that burn me... "What so you just drive around, anyone can do that".

It winds me up and it should not at all. Then I realize they do not understand. Motorsports in reality or virtual reality brings a high that only we understand. It gets our blood pumping and our minds into a focused state that not many experience.

I bought gt sport after reading about gt league offline mode being added. After playing it, sport mode is the thrill. Beating the AI is pointless. I get a bigger thrill and rush from starting 8th and finishing 5th among humans than I do from starting 16th and beating the AI in first.
No

I got pole in today's manufacturer race, then got pitted in turn 1 of lap 1 by the guy in 4th. Talk about a high pulse. I ended up finishing last. Just couldn't drive well after that incident. T-T

Whenever i'm in first place and have the chance to win, my heart go crazy. I'm affraid that i'm gonna get a heart attack.. lol..

And when my heart is pumping like crazy i start to drive like a baby.. brake to early or to late, turning in to soon.. just driving to slow cause i dont want to mess up... haha

It took me over a month to get the courage to go online and The first 20 races i did in sports mode had me literally shaking, feeling weak and light headed (especially when in first or on pole or when you see that guy behind in your mirror and you just somehow know he's going to ram/push you off).

I have calmed down loads since, thank the virtual lord.

Great thread. Sweaty palms pre-race? Oh yeah. Elevated heart rate? You bet! Racing against other humans, starting up front in a fast group of racers, trying to keep my DR from getting killed, trying to keep the RSR pointed forward with no aids on...it's not like racing the AI oflfine and re-starting whenever you feel like it. My breathing becomes very rhythmic and I get really thirsty if I race for more than an hour or so. If I drive for a few hours over the course of a day, I can feel it in my abdominal muscles-I lean as I turn, and my torso 'pretends' to work against the G-forces that my brain tells me I should be feeling.

It's crazy.

Sometimes I don't bother to race when I'm tired or just don't have the mental capacity for it. I've become aware how important psychology is to a racing driver! You have to forget every mistake immediately. You have to block out thoughts of the driver in the mirror. You have to learn to drive your own race, while being aware (but not too aware) of the people racing against you. Aside from the fear factor, which is impossible to replicate, a lot of the mental workout that comes with racing real cars exists in Sport mode. It's cool.

You need to be focussed for a start being tired is useless. I never look in mirrors its a distraction ...yes your heartrate will go up like bob...it's natural eventually you will get used to it (theoretically) I have similar experiences when chasing my mates through the woods on my mtb...or riding on the back wheel on the road - however I think its helpful in the real world as it can boost oxygen in the blood responses and reflexes...what yopu don't want is adrenalin as that has a massive crash after the buzz

So when I woke up this morning, my fitbit informed me that I'd done 20 minutes of exercise during the night. Which was news to me. A quick look on the app showed me that my heart rate had hit the mid 130s for around 20 mins just after midnight, which correlates well with a particularly close race in the final nation's cup race.

Does anybody else get their heart pounding during races?
Yes and it irritates the 🤬 out of me. I'll make it to podium finally due to luck or (rarely) skill, and then screw it all up due to an adrenaline rush thanks to me unconsciously thinking "don't 🤬 up now." That or some close racing for 10th place.

Kind of a good thing though. I've come back from Forza (used to play the hell out of GT5) and haven't had races like this for awhile now. Sooooooooooo much cleaner racing going on, it's practically historical (compared to the numerous 1st corner body slams and intentional cheats in Forza public lobbies).

Whenever i'm in first place and have the chance to win, my heart go crazy. I'm affraid that i'm gonna get a heart attack.. lol..

And when my heart is pumping like crazy i start to drive like a baby.. brake to early or to late, turning in to soon.. just driving to slow cause i dont want to mess up... haha

This!!

When it's the last lap and I have the lead it's so nerve wrecking.. Sometimes I mess up a corner I never have any problems with.. If I'm driving second there's none of that.

Sport mode nerves are nothing like any other mode. It's a shame that I handle nerves very badly :D. IRL on-track they go away as soon as I go round turn 1, but on GTSport, maybe because of it's virtual nature, they persist throughout the race.

Back