• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 120 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Alabama is again atop the college football world after their triumph against Georgia in Overtime on an absolute heartbreaker. Even though the National Football League is the showcase of the finest football talent, some (myself included) actually love college football more than professional football. The down home atmosphere and the insanity collegiate football provides makes it fun. Some may even see pro players as overpaid crybabies. If money and fame don't tickle your fancy in regards to football, then welcome to college football! Since the pros are done for the 2017 season after Super Bowl LII last night, I decided to open discussion of college football for 2018.

Please note that this is for all kinds of college football. Understandably, most of us know of the NCAA best, and especially the FBS level mostly. However, this is for all kinds of football. I almost want to challenge GTPlaneteers to try to promote how well a team in the NAIA or NJCAA are doing. We do have some non-NCAA FBS types represented here. One GTPlaneteer is a fan of North Dakota State. Or maybe you are from Canada and love Canadian college football (which is called university football in Canada, I believe). Tell us about schools like the University of Alberta or something. You know I always like to open the floor to as many different levels of certain sports worldwide. So feel free to chime in. And if we don't know what schools you're talking about, at least we get a learning experience. You always learn something new every day, right?

Here is a reminder of the champions of last season, who are all the defending champions heading into this season:

NCAA FBS: Alabama
NCAA FCS: North Dakota State
NCAA Division 2: Texas A&M-Commerce
NCAA Division 3: Mount Union
NAIA: Saint Francis (of Indiana)
NJCAA: East Mississippi

So who will be the champions of the 2018 season of college football? What players will be among the best in the game? It's time to kick off the new season of college football action! Well... GO!

A handful of Spring Games have been played today across a number of different schools. Schools such as Notre Dame, Alabama, and others have played their Spring Games in preparation for when the games that matter take form in late August or early September. We still have a long ways to go until the real games are played.

ESPN Sportscenter had a small look at some of the key matches to be played on the opening weekend of NCAA FBS football. Among some of the games around September 1 or so are Michigan at Notre Dame and Miami vs. LSU (neutral site, I think). The Miami/LSU game is on September 2. I will edit this post if I provided incorrect information.

The NFL Draft has long concluded. Even though most of the Spring and Summer sports are still playing, we can discuss college football proper still. Alabama is still basically the team to beat. If there was a team I want to follow this season, it's Texas A&M. The Aggies got Jimbo Fisher as their head coach. I personally think this is about the best time to be an Aggies fan because of the intensity that Jimbo will bring to TAMU Aggies football. I think Jimbo will give Texas A&M a chance with at least an SEC Championship.

GTPlanet, give a warm welcome to Liberty University! If you follow NASCAR, you may remember seeing Liberty University as a primary sponsor for William Byron. The Liberty Flames are now an NCAA FBS Independent. So this religious-type school in Virginia will be playing among the big boys in NCAA FBS. The other NCAA FBS Independents are Army, BYU, Massachusetts, and New Mexico State. I was going to mention Notre Dame, but I am not sure if they are still technically Independent in football despite playing an ACC schedule.

We can still look ahead to college football for 2018. I may even post about certain schools this coming season. So be sure to stick around here between now and the official start of college football.

Like some college beef? The latest sort of college beef between schools is Alabama and Central Florida. The only blemish on Alabama's 2017 record was given by Auburn. Auburn lost to Central Florida in their Bowl game, and UCF went on to finish undefeated. Therefore, UCF feels that they have a National Championship claim. Interesting topic even well before the season starts proper.

Recently, the Pac-12 has made it a requirement that teams MUST have at least six victories to be Bowl-eligible. So [at least] the Pac-12 doesn't like the idea of 5-7 (or worse) records making Bowl games.

To keep this thread going, I may come along with a few previews. If you want to offer your thoughts before the season starts, we can always preview the upcoming college football season all Spring/Summer long.

I figured I'd take some time and talk about the Power 5 conferences for this post.

ACC
There used to be a time when most critics of the ACC only seen the ACC as a basketball conference. The ACC did have themselves a National Champion in recent memory when the Clemson Tigers won it all against Alabama. Florida State was pretty formidable for a good while among the ACC teams. These days, however, teams like Clemson and North Carolina State are making up the better percentile of ACC teams. In the Coastal Division, Miami had themselves quite the resurgence last season. When the Hurricanes made a turnover, "Da U" had their chain to pass around. I got into college football in 2002, a year after the beast 2001 Miami Hurricanes had their time to gloat. Virginia Tech kept pace last year also. The teams I mentioned will probably be the main threats in the ACC. I don't have any picks to take the ACC in 2018.

Big Ten
Go B1G or go home. Usually, the Big Ten seems like Ohio State and Michigan... then everybody else. The one thing I usually wonder is if there is much patience left with Jim Harbaugh coaching Michigan. I honestly think Michigan can be among the College Football Playoff discussion and a possible National Champion. But we all know, Ohio State can be quite formidable. They don't beat themselves too often. All the controversy and stuff with Michigan State makes me realize if the other Big Ten school in Michigan can be any real force. Schools like Wisconsin and Northwestern have established themselves quite well, as has traditional power Penn State. I have always respected Maryland when they were in the ACC. Maybe Maryland can have a more-than-decent season? It would be the underdog kind of story if Blitz24's Rutgers football somehow becomes relavant for the first time since Ray Lewis. Then too, and sadly, I think about when Rutgers got destroyed by BOTH Michigan schools losing at least by 70 in shutouts. What about the likes of Nebraska and Iowa? Good amount of material to digest for the B1G, but I'm sure it will be plenty competitive in this conference for 2018.

Big XII
Remember when it was Oklahoma that was the team to beat in the Big XII? When Texas was more formidable than they are now? The Big XII is still a thing. When I got into college football, Texas and Oklahoma were very solid. Also, Kansas State had themselves a baller season. TCU was still in Conference USA then while then going to the Mountain West. There was also that school called Texas A&M that would join the SEC and get out of Texas' shadow. These days, the Big XII is still a very good and very competitive football conference. The only thing I wondered was if Oklahoma State could make enough noise to be a Playoff team. Baylor is still mostly a hot mess from their own scandals. And did you know the Kansas Jayhawks have a football team? Kansas hasn't been relevant since that one season when they and Hawaii were the only unbeaten teams in the nation late in the season (2007 or 2008 or so). I also usually favor the likes of Texas Tech and wvumidget's West Virginia Mountaineers. I think a Big XII team will get into the Playoff this season. Which team? That remains to be seen.

PAC-12
Not many teams give the PAC-12 a chance unless it is the Trojans of the University of Southern California. The Oregon Ducks were quite good when the Quack Attack were having solid performances. And it used to be that teams like UCLA and Stanford were kind of the "who cares?" teams. Stanford has proven to be as good as their basketball teams (men and women on the basketball side). I've always respected Crash's University of Washington Hsukies in almost every sport. But in the Emerald State, Washington State had themselves a great season last season or so. I kind of favor Arizona State more among Arizona and Arizona State. The PAC-12 has some talent. Will any emerge as Playoff participants, though?

And of course, THIS conference...

SEC
The SEC is still the conference to beat. Alabama is still the team to beat. In-conference foe Georgia had 'Bama on the ropes until that epic touchdown by the Crimson Tide in Overtime gave them the National Championship. I still see traditional powers possibly having another great season. That includes the likes of Auburn and LSU. To me, the biggest reason I'll follow the SEC is Texas A&M. TAMU is now coached by a guy named Jimbo Fisher. Yep- that guy who coached Florida State to such greatness. If Jimbo can make a winner out of Texas A&M, this may be the the best time to be an Aggies' football fan. Most of the teams I mentioned in this section are the ones who I think will put the biggest dents in the SEC. Though, don't count out teams like Florida, Missouri, and maybe even Kentucky too.

Have you any thoughts on the Power 5 conferences? Feel free to share.

Around this time next month, we'll be looking at the new season of college football. Either it will be the start of college football or leading up into college football for 2018. Still a good amount of time left to get excited for the new season.

I mentioned the Power 5 Conferences in my previous post. Now (and with respect), this is a musing post regarding "the best of the rest."

American Athletic Conference
The American Athletic Conference is mostly teams formerly of Conference USA and of the former Big East. My beloved University of Houston Cougars are among the teams in the American. The conference has one representative that could have themselves a case. Alabama won the National Championship, but the University of Central Florida went undefeated. UCF even beat the team that beat Alabama last season. Among active GTPlaneteers, there used to be someone who would be around on GTPlanet supporting East Carolina. I am not sure if our Eva follows Cincinnati Bearcats football, but Cincy is usually pretty good. The ranked teams in the AAC are Central Florida (8), South Florida (21), and Memphis (25). I think UCF is the team to beat this season in the 'Murican.

Conference USA
Conference USA is usually a very competitive conference. I certainly admire C-USA as the former stomping grounds for my Houston Cougars. A lot of the teams are long-standing members such as Marshall, Rice, UAB, and Southern Mississippi among others. A lot of the other teams were former non-football schools such as UNC-Charlotte, Texas-San Antonio, and Old Dominion. I think our Omnis will pull for Florida Atlantic. One late GTPlaneteer supports Kentucky as well as Western Kentucky. I am not really sure who to take in C-USA. I usually like teams like Louisiana Tech and Western Kentucky. UTSA can be pretty dangerous, so don't count out the Roadrunners. And yes- I am a Houston fan, so I am naturally supposed to hate Rice. I don't see Rice becoming any real threat in C-USA this season.

Mid-American Conference
Need some MACtion ion your life? The Mid-American Conference is usually one of the best of the non Power 5 conferences. So much history and classic programs are in this conference. Any number of teams in the MAC can creep up and want to be among the College Football Playoff busters. I remember when Ball State had that undefeated season before getting smashed by the University of Buffalo in the MAC title game. I think it was Western Michigan last season or two seasons ago that had a brilliant season. I really don't know who to take in the MAC.

Mountain West
There are some very good teams in the Mountain West. It used to be that San Diego State was a joke of a team. They are actually pretty good of late. SDSU shown its strength in basketball a lot, but the Aztecs are quite nice in football as well. I still remember when Hawaii (or Hawai'i) was more competitive. Hawaii has been on the skids in recent years. I usually like Fresno State often times. One GTPlaneteer I can recall is a fan of Colorado State. Then... there's that one little school called... Boise State University. I also at times respect New Mexico and Air Force. So you have some options as to who to take in this conference.

Sun Belt
The Sun Belt is usually the weakest conference of the non-Power 5 conferences. Most of these schools aren't as much of fire-breathers, and most of them are usually small schools. The Sun Belt usually is a pretty good basketball conference with a handful of great mid-major schools. The Sun Belt has some pretty good football programs such as Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Troy, and Coastal Carolina. Louisiana-Lafayette is also a quite good school in football. The Sun Belt East probably will be the most competitive side of the Sun Belt this season.

Last, but not least...

Independents
Independent NCAA FBS teams include New Mexico State, Army, BYU, Notre Dame (though they play an ACC football schedule), Massachusetts, and Liberty. You may know of Liberty University if you follow NASCAR of late. The Liberty Flames recently stepped up to NCAA FBS. The Virginia school is trying to slot in among the big boys of NCAA FBS. Part of me their likely destination will be the Sun Belt, and then maybe Conference USA. Army has been a lot less sorry the past few years. BYU is one of the most legendary non-Power 5 schools. Massachusetts is better known as a basketball power, but their football isn't too shabby. New Mexico State usually is not that good. They even once snapped a long losing streak of not winning a Bowl game. And then of course... there's Notre Dame. You either love or loathe that Catholic university in South Bend, IN. Notre Dame usually can be like the Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Lakers, or the New York Yankees of college football.

So that covers both sides of NCAA FBS. Now for a little Honorable Mention...

Missouri Valley (FCS) - Honrable Mention!
I am making Honorable Mention outside of NCAA FBS only because of North Dakota State. While the Bison didn't win the FCS Championship last season, they are no doubt incredibly formidable. I usually like teams like Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Missouri State among the Missouri Valley schools. The defending champs for this season in NCAA FCS is the James Madison Dukes.

It won't be too long until we're back with college football. So get psyched for the new season if you aren't already!

Ever heard the deal about Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh hating chicken? He said something along the lines of you taking the character of what you eat. Since Jim Harbaugh considered chickens as nervous creatures, he felt that would make his players nervous. Uh... okay... If that's true, then I guess I am a nervous creature since I eat something chicken almost every day.

More serious matters now. Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer was put on paid administrative leave after he knowingly known of a certain domestic abuse situation involving a former assistant coach. A lot of people want Urban Meyer fired.

It's August, so football season will get warmed up. It won't be long until college football runs your time from Thursday nights to Saturdays. Remember that this thread is your GTPlanet home for college football for the 2018 season!

Pro football is warming up, but college football is not too far behind. Sundays will mean something again on the pro football front once they get going. Saturdays will mean something again once college football season kicks off. Most of the action for the 2018 season will begin next week. So get psyched if you're a college football fan!

By virtue of his mishandling of the domestic abuse situation, Urban Meyer has been suspended by Ohio State University. This is going to be a screwy situation for the Buckeyes all season long. It may even be a stretch to say that Ohio State is in as much trouble as Baylor with their woes outside of the football field.

College football season officially starts on Thursday according to ESPN, but I think the first set of games actually begins this coming Tuesday. So don't worry- the new season will be here sooner than you'll know it. Get psyched!

Last edited:
Believe it or not, two games are coming up tonight! The big names may not play mostly until Tuesday or Thursday, but here are two games slated for tonight:

* Hawaii at Colorado State
* Wyoming at New Mexico State

So college football is kind of... sort of... back. Enjoy the games!

Tonight is the night! ESPN's kickoff of college football for 2018 is TONIGHT! So your Saturdays between now and... maybe the first one or two weeks of January 2019 will mean something again. If you aren't into professional football much, college has your football loving covered.

May I interest you in some college football? If so, here are games slated for tonight to start the season:

* #21 UCF at Connecticut
* Northwestern at Purdue
* Savannah State at UAB
* Northwestern State at Texas A&M
* New Mexico State at Minnesota

These are among the many Thursday games. The rest of the week has some big matches, such as Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss here in Houston this weekend. Other matches include the likes of Louisville at Alabama and [the University of] Miami at LSU. Any time you want to jump in and offer some musings on college football while the action is going on, feel free to join in by posting in this thread!

I hope all of you get to enjoy this new season of college football. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Are you ready, GTPlanet? It's Saturday! Plenty of college football games are coming up as the first wave of Saturday college football games are on tap. Among many other games coming up:

* Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech
* Washington vs. Auburn
* Miami vs. LSU (Sunday)
* #23 Texas vs. Maryland
* Michigan at Notre Dame

The season did get off to a pretty cool start. Utah State took Michigan State to the limit last night, but Sparty prevailed late to win. Remember to pop into this thread and share your musings about your favorite team(s) and such. I certainly will in discussing various college football matches. Let's get this thread buzzing and try to engage each other!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams this season.

Here are a few musings I'd like to share.

* Texas once again gets stunned by Maryland. I knew this had to be an emotional game considering the dark off-season Maryland had. The Terrapins won 34-29 over the Texas Longhorns.

* Crash's Washington Huskies fell in Atlanta to Auburn. It was a 21-16 win for #9 Auburn over #6 Washington. Not a good start for the boys from Seattle.

* Yes- that happened. Villanova beat Temple. No... I know this is the college FOOTBALL thread. However, the Villanova Wildcats won 19-17 at the Temple Owls. This would be nothing if it was basketball. But, this is football we're talking about. Villanova is pretty powerful in football (as well as basketball), but this is a big win in this FCS-beat-FBS result.

* Locally, H-Town pride was on the line as the Houston Cougars and Rice Owls battled for the Bayou Bucket. UH won 45-27 at Rice.

* The reason why our wvumidget is smiling is because the #17 West Virginia Mountaineers spanked the Tennessee Volunteers today 40-14. Most compelling is that this is the first time both schools played each other.

* The Notre Dame Fighting Irish took down the Michigan Wolverines 24-17. Thanks to being tired and some heavy storms here in Houston, I was unable to see most of this match. So I know folks like Joey D and AnthonyD1993 are none too pleased seeing the Wolverines fall. I do think this is still a potential make-or-break season for Coach Jim Harbaugh. This loss isn't going to help his cause if indeed this is the case.

* Plenty more Targeting calls were made in quite a few games today. I just wish the NCAA was more consistent with this call and not so much ticky-tacky with Targeting.

I hope your favorite schools are doing well. Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games, including those played on Sunday and Monday. You GTPlaneteers can chime in at any moment- every post so far in this thread has been by me!

* The Notre Dame Fighting Irish took down the Michigan Wolverines 24-17. Thanks to being tired and some heavy storms here in Houston, I was unable to see most of this match. So I know folks like Joey D and AnthonyD1993 are none too pleased seeing the Wolverines fall. I do think this is still a potential make-or-break season for Coach Jim Harbaugh. This loss isn't going to help his cause if indeed this is the case.

I'm ready for the Harbaugh experiment to be over. I don't think it worked and Michigan is just the same old team with an O-Line that's about as resilient as melted butter.

At least I can watch the Utes knowing they won't be good in the PAC 12, whereas Michigan should be good in the BIG 10.

Perhaps the biggest match this weekend is with #2 Clemson at Texas A&M. Many other games are on tap, so get to enjoy the action all weekend long.

Time for some more musings of mine on the most recent college football games. You ready? Let's go!

* I saw College Gameday earlier today, and I was stunned about the story of Tyler Hilinsky, the Washington State QB that commited suicide in the offseason. This would have been Hilinsky's first home start if he were still with us. The Washington State Cougars are currently playing San José State as of the time of these musings. Washington State is up 7-0 with 7:17 left in the first quarter as of the time of this post. I know this has to be one emotional game for WashSU.

* I knew Clemson at Texas A&M was going to be a great game, and this one didn't disappoint. The Clemson Tigers won 28-26, but Texas A&M gave Clemson just about everything they could handle. The Aggies' bid for a win fell short. Amazing game!

* The University of Houston Cougars tamed the Arizona Wildcats 45-18 today at TDECU Stadium. The Coogs hung three touchdowns on Arizona in the first quarter alone. It was 31-0, UH at the half. Arizona is coached by former UH coach Kevin Sumlin. I just hated that two wonderfully thrown balls should have been caught in the 1st Half by UH. Still, UH did good to improve to 2-0 on the season. Whose house? Coogs House!

* I found it hard to believe Michigan had a four-game losing streak heading into today's match hosting Western Michigan. So the boys from Ann Arbor didn't have to wait too long to try to reverse their losing ways after they lost at Notre Dame last weekend. Michigan won this one 49-3.

* Speaking of losing streaks, I have great news if you're a Kansas Jayhawks fan... your team won a road game! Rock Chalk Jayhawk ran over Central Michigan at Central Michigan 31-7. Kansas' road losing streak dates back to 2009 according to Yahoo! Sports.

* If you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and love college football, you know it's all about TCU and SMU. Well at SMU, it was a 42-12(?) victory for the Horned Frogs of TCU. The game was delayed because of weather last night.

* More state pride was on the line on Saturday. This time, it was Iowa State meeting Iowa. The Hawkeyes took care of business with a 13-3 win over the Iowa State Cyclones.

* Temple University lost to Villanova last weekend. How did they do against an FBS program? The University of Buffalo smacked up Temple with a win. The Buffalo Bulls made Temple go 0-2.

* When you lose to somebody 31 straight times, it seems like forever for any hope of defeating who you consistently fail against. So is the case with the University of Kentucky football team against the #25 University of Florida football team. Most of the game saw Kentucky lead 21-10. The game ended 27-16 in favor of Kentucky. The final play was ruled a fumble by Florida that ended up eventually being a fumble-for-touchdown by Kentucky. It was a WEIRD play. Any time I think of Kentucky Wildcats athletics, I think of our late GTPlaneteer FoolKiller, and I sometimes also think of our illustrious GTPlanet leader Jordan. But, yeah... congrats, UK! Sad it took you 30+ years to finally figure out how to beat Florida in football, but better late than never!

* THE Ohio State University became one of two programs to reach 900 wins all-time (Michigan the other) with their win today. Sadly, it came at the expense of Blitz24's Rutgers Scarlet Knights. The Buckeyes won at home with a 52-3 win against Rutgers.

* Scott Frost's first game ends up in a nightmarish loss. The Colorado Buffaloes improved to 2-0 on the season with a 33-28 win at Nebraska.

* How about wvumidget's Mountaineers? They did REAL good today. The West Virginia Mountaineers hammered the Penguins of Youngstown State 52-17.

* I used to be a Lamar University student. My former college lost 77-0 at Texas Tech.

* Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers were stunned at home to the Eastern Michigan Eagles 20-19 on a game-winning field goal. Sad break for Purdue.

Crash's Washington Huskies took down the University of North Dakota 45-3 in Seattle.

And that's my latest batch of musings on college football. Congratulations to all other winners across all levels of college football.

Week 3 of college football is coming your way. Here are some of the matches slated for this week:

* #4 Ohio State at #16 TCU
* #12 LSU at #7 Auburn
* #14 West Virginia at North Carolina State
* #17 Boise State at #24 Oklahoma State
* SMU at #19 Michigan
* #1 Alabama at Ole Miss
* #22 USCal at Texas <<< 2006 Rose Bowl Rematch
* #10 Washington at Utah

These are all among many more games. Recently, Alabama surpassed Ohio State for most successive weeks at No. 1 in the AP Poll with about 106 straight weeks at #1. That may all change if the Rebels of Ole Miss upset the top team in the land. Enjoy your college football this week!

COLLIDGE FUTBAUWLLL.

Time to start a new week of action. A lot of teams are either 2-0, 1-1, or 0-2. Here is a chance to help your cause if your favorite team(s) is the middle or the latter. It won't be too long until we start having conference matches across the board. So go enjoy some college football.

On a more serious issue, some games have been moved up or cancelled because of the advancing Hurricane Florence. All of you please be careful dealing with Hurricane Florence if you are in its path. Be sure to have enough food, water, and shelter in advance of this vicious hurricane to take care of yourself and your family.

Other than that... good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Enjoy today's and tonight's games! Feel free to chime in whenever you like. Even offer a few musings of yours. The two big matches today are Ohio State vs. TCU at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX; and there is also LSU at Auburn.

Can you believe Troy beat Nebraska 24-19 on the road and Syracuse smashed Florida State 30-7 at home? Nebraska is now 0-2, and Florida State is 1-2 to start the 2018 season. Wow! Nebraska's 0-2 start is the first time they started 0-2 since 1957.

This post may get updated to include more musings, but that's all for now. I hope your favorite team(s) is/are doing well this week.

The B1G has been a big dumpster fire this year so far for the most part. Most of the conference has been losing games that the teams should be winning left and right.

A few more notes to share...

* Hey- show LSU some love also. They went into Jordan-Hare Stadium in the battle of the Tigers and defeated Auburn in their house. It was a 22-21.

* I was stunned BYU took down Wisconsin at Wisconsin. Granted this wasn't Appalachian State beating Michigan at Michigan many moons ago, but this one surely hurts for the Badgers. Good job by the BYU Cougars.

* BYU Cougars won today, but not my Houston Cougars. We failed- 63-49 at Texas Tech. No shame losing to Texas Tech, of course. I always respected the Red Raiders.

* If the B1G is a dumpster fire this season, it will REALLY feel like one if Ohio State loses to TCU tonight. Right now, THE Ohio State University is ahead 7-0 with 11:33 left in the first quarter. This game is the final game of Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer's suspension.

* Ohio State's best friends, the University of Michigan Wolverines, did good today- a 45-20 blowout of the visiting SMU Mustangs. The blue and maize boys are 2-1 now.

* Can you believe it? Kansas is 2-1! They roughed up Rutgers in Lawrence, KS 55-14. This is the first series of wins against FBS opponents since 2009.

* Speaking of basketball schools in football, Duke whacked Baylor 40-27 in Waco, TX. Duke came off of defeating Northwestern on the road last weekend or so.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

I can't believe BYU won. Work on Monday is going to be ridiculous, especially since the Utes lost.

BYU beats Wisconsin on the road. Troy defeats Nebraska on the road. Florida State gets smashed at Syracuse. There was one other notable loss I failed to mention from last week: North Texas punking Arkansas on the road. On shows like ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" or even SportsCenter, you may have seen the trick play where North Texas faked a fair catch and ended up scoring a coast-to-coast touchdown on a kickoff return. College football provides plenty of madness.

Not every team, but a lot of teams will be getting into conference play with this being Week 4 of college football. There are still a good number of matches to get you going if you are a college football fan. Here are some of the many matches to come this week:

* #22 Texas A&M at #1 Alabama
* Nebraska at #19 Michigan
* Kansas State at #12 West Virginia
* #3 Clemson at Georgia Tech
* Florida International at Miami (remember that brawl these two schools had years ago?)
* Tulane at #4 Ohio State (Urban Meyer's first game as coach back from suspension - more on U. Meyer later in this post)
* #17 TCU at Texas
* Texas Tech at #15 Oklahoma State
* #24 Michigan State at Indiana
* Arkansas at #9 Auburn
* #7 Stanford at #20 Oregon
* McNeese State at #25 BYU
* #18 Wisconsin at Iowa
* Arizona State at #10 Washington
* #8 Notre Dame at Wake Forest

What games are you interested in this week or are going to? Enjoy whatever college football you will be getting into this week!

Now on to Urban Meyer, head coach of THE Ohio State University. Are you a member of the Urban Meyer Fan Club? You may not like this guy after seeing this: https://sports.yahoo.com/osus-urban...dled-message-return-suspension-193359983.html

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

This is the final weekend of Summer 2018, as things turn to Fall/Autumn (or Spring in the Southern Hemisphere). So here are aome musings on action so far...

* Go B1G or go home. Urban Meyer returned from his suspension. THE Ohio State University ripped apart the Tulane Green Wave 49-6. The boys from New Orleans didn't have a good time in the Midwest against the 4th ranked team in NCAA FBS.

* Staying in the Midwest and staying with the B1G, Michigan handled their business against sorry Nebraska. Wolverines did good. No worries. 56-10 victory for No. 19 Michigan.

* Now let's go South while keeping somewhat a Midwestern theme. Notre Dame went down to Wake Forest and took down the Demon Deacons in Winston-Salem, NC. The Fighting Irish won 56-27.

* Texas A&M once stunned Alabama at Alabama with Johnny Manziel some years ago. This time 'round, not so much. It was "Roll Tide Roll" as Alabama won 45-23 over visiting Texas A&M.

* So you want an FCS-beat-FBS story? Try this one. The Illinois State Redbirds went into Colorado State University and smacked the Rams 35-19 in Colorado Springs.

* Clemson handled Georgia Tech nicely in Atlanta. The Tigers convincingly won 49-21 at the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

* Kansas met Baylor in a Big XII match. To a lot of people, this is like a "who cares?" game, since neither are football powers. Someone had to win it, though. And that winner was Baylor by the score of 26-7.

* North Carolina picked up their first win of the season by defeating visiting Pittsburgh 38-35.

* Is Syracuse for real? The Orange won 51-21 against the Connecticut Huskies at home and are now 4-0 on the season.

* The University of Cincinnati is 4-0 on the season now as they downed the Ohio Bobcats 34-30. Bearcats beat Bobcats. That's right.

* So look who shows up in Austin- #17 TCU. The Horned Frogs and Longhorns hooked up in the capital of Texas. The Longhorns won 31-16 in the upset.

* Big Bad Virginia Tech... not bad enough on this day. No. 13 Virginia Tech was bested by the Old Dominion Monarchs. Old Dominion used to have a football team or maybe never had a football team. This is a BIG win for the Monarchs. The Hokies were downed 49-35 at Old Dominion.

* Oklahoma was in a battle with... Army? This one had to be settled in Overtime, and Oklahoma survived with a 28-21 victory.

* Texas Tech overrated Oklahoma State today. 41-17 was the score Texas Tech beat No. 15 by.

* Also overrated was #14 Mississippi State at Kentucky. The Wildcats won 28-7 at home against the Bulldogs.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

Nebraska is usually one of the proudest college football programs. This season, though, has been pathetic for the Cornhuskers. Nebraska probably wishes they were back in the Big XII rather than stay in the B1G.

Man... pretty wicked victories this past weekend, eh?

Back