GTvsForza

Premium
United States
The Gem State
GTvsForza
GTvsForza
Spyro_Logo.png

Last edited:

Account is one of the few followed by the official Crash Bandicoot one. Hype train is leaving the station finally!

Ah, I see the rest of GTP has decided to join the fun. What took you?

Well Spyro has been teased so often in the past and it's come to nothing hence my previous scepticism at least. Ever since the success of Crash last year it's looked much more promising and now it looks like there's a hype building campaign from Activision themselves (twitter accounts/eggs to gaming sites).

Wonder whether we'll get official news from PAX East which starts tomorrow. The 'well sourced' leak from Kotaku in February suggested a March announcement so it wouldn't be too far off, before properly showing the game at E3.

Regardless, I guess this is the place to post this sort of thing now.

In case you've played the original Spyro games, looked at the teaser above and thought "hang on, something seems familiar" but you can't quite put your finger on it, here's a spoiler:

..it doesn't really matter which one it is, the point should be clear.

Also the treasure hunt is up to 10 eggs as of the time of writing. Given that smarter people have apparently discovered that a total of 16 was ordered, well..

LKD has just confirmed it, so this is about as legit as it gets. Also apparently official announcement in about 6 hours, with PS4 release apparently on September 21.

I will say that the Sparx model looks a tad on the dopey side, but
  1. That's accurate to the original model so it's actually a positive
  2. Dat everything though. Remember that fanmade if-Spyro-was-made-today thing from a few years ago? That what this reminds me of.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for this moment for so long. I can't wait to relive 3 of my favorite games of all time.

*GASP* HeeeeeeEEEE'SSSS BAAACK! Yes, my wonderful, purple dragon is back! All of those gems, the gnorcs, and those dasterdly egg thieves are coming back! That's it, I'm getting a PS4 pro!

Never played the originals back in the day, but those screens look really nice... i'll definitely give it a whirl, provided it eventually comes to PC or Switch

One of my my childhood favorites, some very good memories with these games. Flashbacks of the credits of the games flying through the levels. And the music. Or trying to 100% each game finding all collectibles. Can't wait to see a remake!

Let's talk about this new old Spyro design.

They've mixed it up a bit here and there (most notably the tail where it's no longer just a pointy thing with stripe texture) because the systems have more than enough power to do that now, but it's still unmistakably Spyro. Kind of like how he was slightly changed for both A Hero's Tail (most notably adding spikes on his back) and the Legend series (which was mostly just dialing back on the roundness his Hero's Tail design had) yet was distinctly Spyro.

Come to think of it, I see a little bit of every Spyro in this redesign.

Except for the Skylanders one. And I'd be lying if I said that was a negative thing.

Double-post for reasons of important.

I don't know where this originally came from, but someone's uploaded the leaked French version of the trailer to YouTube, and.. well, take a look for yourselves:

So yeah, I would put all of my money on the announcement + teaser officially dropping later today.

It's so beautiful! This will definetly be a day 1 purchase for me!

Toys for Bob has long admired the original Spyro trilogy. Long before Skylanders, way back in 1998, the very first Spyro the Dragon was an inspiration to us. The level design, the controls, the art style, the humour, the music, the sense of discovery – it was groundbreaking in so many ways. There’s no getting around the fact that the feisty purple dragon is one of the most important and influential heroes in 3D platformer history.

Now 20 years on, we are deeply honoured to have the responsibility of remastering Insomniac’s historic trilogy, and our most powerful motivator is knowing how important Spyro is to millions of passionate fans across the globe.

Remastering a classic is a unique undertaking for a game developer – unlike the creation of a new game where you have to find the fun, you’re starting with a game that already has proven, time-tested fun.

The real challenge lies in how to remaster a beloved classic in such a way that is true to the spirit and feel of the original while also maximizing fidelity (art, animation, visual effects, sound effects, music, controls) and integrating quality-of-life improvements that modern players expect (analogue stick camera control, auto-save system, more fast-travel options, etc.).

Given the intense passion the fans have for the original trilogy, we are approaching development with reverence – a deep respect for all the decisions that went into making the original games.

In the interest of getting the feel right, one of the first things we agreed upon internally was that Spyro’s original movement metrics — speeds and accelerations for walking, running, jumping, charging, gliding, flying, swimming, hovering, and more – should be matched as closely as possible.

And in a similar vein, an authentic recreation of the platforming gameplay throughout the expansive and enchanted levels of the original trilogy would require the dimensions and collision details of the world geometry to come very close to matching the originals. Needless to say, the Dragon Realms of 2018 utilise considerably more polygons than their 1998 counterparts.

In the interest of recapturing the enchanted details from the classic trilogy in fine detail, our programming team set out to magically slurp inspiration directly from the original games. Spyroscope was born.

This internally developed tool sends fairies into the original games who convert game details into a format that designers can easily interpret, allowing for extremely accurate game object placement and motion.

Ultimately, we were also able to leverage many of the original assets such as level models, level collision, animated objects, character models, music, game text, and game sounds through a combination of other in-house tools and a few payments to Moneybags.

Upon this solid foundation of data from the original trilogy, we’ve set out to craft a remaster trilogy worthy of Spyro’s 20th anniversary celebration. Each day, we’re working hard to fill the Dragon Realms, Avalar, and the Forgotten Realms with all the magic you remember. We can’t wait to share it with you all later this year.
Source
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...roars-onto-ps4-this-september/PS Blog EU[/URL

Here's a few extra goodies I would say qualifies for double-post worthiness:

First up, Toys for Bob have brought this piece on the PlayStation Blog (which was posted earlier but I'm bringing the original source here). It makes for an interesting read on its own, but they've gone ahead and sprinkled it with some humour and references. Not to the same extend as how NFS Payback tries to shoehorn itself into NFS canon, but just the right amount to lighten it up towards the end. It seems like they too really *are* passionate fans of all things talking, flying, firebreathing purple dragons.

Want more proof? In case you couldn't tell from the teaser, yes, that is Tom Kenny, and yes, he's returned to voice Spyro for all three games.

If all of this doesn't invoke confidence in the quality of the remake and go quite some way to redeeming TfB, I'm having trouble seeing just what can.

I loved Spyro when I was a wee lad so I’m happy to see this happening.

Not sure how I’m going to pay for all the games coming out during that period though. :lol:

Dunno if this was posted elsewhere, but Polygon has some screens with a slider to compare the original game with the remastered version. And damn am I impressed. It's going to be great to experience familiar levels (and each hub world) with a modern look.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/5/17...ion-release-date-spyro-reignited-ps4-xbox-one

Article also mentions a "reimagined version of composer Stewart Copeland’s soundtrack" which I'm hoping isn't too far off from the originals. But Crash remakes also "reimagined" the music and that was well done.

Those screenshot look amazing and wow, I'm glad they also are showing the later levels including Fricken tree tops. I grinned at the trailer when I saw the thief.

No PC or Switch version...that's strange, especially since the Crash trilogy is coming to those platforms. Hopefully those versions will be announced soon.

No PC or Switch version...that's strange, especially since the Crash trilogy is coming to those platforms. Hopefully those versions will be announced soon.
Actually, it might possibly still come to the switch:

I remembered playing the demo of the original from Crash Warped. And I think there was another Spyro demo hidden in Crash Bash that I loved playing.

Just in case anyone thought Toys for Bob got Kenny to reprise his role as Spyro and then decided that was good enough and hired b-list actors for the rest, think again: Gregg Berger is seemingly confirmed back as Hunter, Ripto and, presumably, all his minor roles too.

As for the rest of that IMDB list, I've yet to come across more "confirmation" on any of those.

Edit: I've only just discovered that, on April 5, Richard Tatum (aka the voice of Agent 9 and Bartholomew) confirmed his involvement as well, and with more roles this time. As for what those other roles are.. I mean, there's a grand total of 80 dragons to voice in the first game. It's pretty much a certainty both Gregg and Richard will do a few of those. Aside from that, though..

Last edited:
Back