Embarrassing moments...

• Thread starter Dose555
  • 45 comments
United States
Arizona
Stan-Halen--
A week or so ago on Yamagiwa, I felt like a complete dumbass. I typically leave the cone markers on, however I try to familiarize braking points anyways as these cones often get knocked over during a race. Not this time! The cone had been knocked over as I approached the last turn on lap 2 (the right hander before the long straight/start-finish line). I noticed the cone was not there, briefly spaced out, and slammed the brakes WAY earlier than I should have. Unfortunately for me, there were 3 cars, all on each other's bumpers directly behind me. This caused a chain reaction between the 4 of us. I heard/felt the first hit from behind, then heard the others, boom, boom, boom. I even got hit a second time as the guy behind me was getting hit from behind him, etc... After making the turn I immediately slowed (nearly stopped) to serve the penalty, and noticed the 3 behind me doing the same. I felt so bad for probably ruining the race for these guys. This was an FIA race. We were in 3rd - 6th when this happened and got passed by several cars while serving the penalties.

A few days before this I was in 3rd place racing at Tokyo, about 3 seconds behind the leader. As we're headed down the long straight to start/finish, the leader hotdogs it and e-brakes/slides across the finish line. Sadly for him, there was 1 more lap to go. Can't remember where he finished.

I've had a few other moments I wish I could forget. Anyone else wish to share?

I'm in first, yet have some typical Monza penalties. I have enough time to scrub them before the line yet not enough to simply race over the line. I time it perfectly, move over to the side, flashers on, brake before the finish, penalty time counts to zero and I limp across the line, still first. Race doesn't end.... lap 3 of 4, ugh. Dropped to 6th.

I was leading at brands hatch yesterday and pulling away about .5 secs a lap from second. Looked down on the start/finish bend for some reason and drifted onto the grass. Ended up 5 s behind second (now first) place and with only 2 laps to go was snookered. It was an easy win down the tubes.

I was in a lobby with some really fast gentlemen from the European region racing M3's on Tsukuba. I left on a good note, but there was an earlier race that I just had to back out of.

Coming to the last sharp hairpin before the straight, I just spaced out and braked way late. Worse yet, instead of dumping my car to the grass on the left I went inside and just about took the whole group with me.

After getting back on I slowed down on the straight so I could type an apology. Unfortunately I wasn't at a complete stop when I pressed pause so the auto-drive immediately swerved my car into everyone coming to pass me. :banghead: I felt such shame that I left the track and waited for the next race.

I was doing some daily races on the Tokyo street circuits I go really well at but they are a killer for safety rating
My safety rating dropped to a low s or a so I was put in a race with dr c’s And d’s my pole lap was 3 secs quicker than the next guy
Was about 12secs in the lead
Had a really scruffy last lap and then binned it out the hairpin would have won still but had to then serve penalties And finished 2nd easy win lost
I’m S S rated

Just the other day with the E-Tron daily I got spun out and waiting to be reset but it didnt happen. I start turning around, apparently as I am looking for the reverse button on my wheel the game turns me around and I did not see, now Im headed directly at race traffic!!!! Oh yeah, I still need to make a Y turn because Im headed the wrong fricken way!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sometimes playing GT1 and GT2 my kids would want to play so instead of finishing my race I would put the car in a high speed skid with nose pointed directly at a wall just inches away from knocking the wall down, then I would press pause and hand them the controller.

During an FIA race, I exited Forrest Elbow in a Gr.3 Aston. Just as I was straigtening out, the rear snapped on me like crazy. Went right into a wall, causing a boatload of damage. Here I am limping all the way down Conrod Straight and when I got to the Chase, the Aston was still damaged enough that I went off into the dirt. At this point, I just wanted to pit a lap early and try to salvage something but my excursion left dirt on the tires. Spun it trying to make the pit entry and I hit someone coming in.

Coming out of the pit last night at Infield A I check my mirror and radar to merge into traffic, i see that it is all clear and then slide on to the driving line. That's when the three racers in my blind spot wrecked each other trying to avoid me :guilty::ouch:

I felt even worse that I was completely unaffected by it

Always check the blind spots...💡

Coming out of the pit last night at Infield A I check my mirror and radar to merge into traffic, i see that it is all clear and then slide on to the driving line. That's when the three racers in my blind spot wrecked each other trying to avoid me :guilty::ouch:

I was gonna say this is slowly but surely becoming the best thread on Planet GT but I would be wrong.
This has quickly become the best thread by far on Planet GT, keep the stories coming please, I know everyone who has raced sport mode has at least 1.
Last week I stopped refueling 2 laps shy of the finish when I accidentally pushed the stop refueling button. Nobody else knew until the second last lap when they flew by me when I was in Fuel Map 6. Still didnt make the finish line under power.

Lots of stuff like this happens to me but one thing I can remember is that I threw away a P1 in the final lap with a 5 second gap to P2 away in the hairpin at Suzuka at the Gr2 race by simply spinning myself out :ouch: Dropped to P3 and ended a little win-streak :banghead:

just happen on this morning, have a big lead (8 secs +) daydreaming on straight after sector check and just crash :lol: lost around 4 secs but can make up to get other 8 sec till finish.

Other incident just synchronize spin with other :lol:

Was going to have a pretty nice win at Dragon Trail in the Audi Quattro, was about 1 second ahead, and at the very small left-kink just before the finish line, I drove over the kerb slightly too much and got a time penalty, 2 seconds or so, costing me the win.

I was driving over the kerb because I was pushing for fastest lap and wanted every thousanth of a second I could get :/

That's why I always look at the circuit map first to see if anyone is coming.

Pits are a tricky thing. Reminds me of that one time I was comfortably in first and hit the pit wall on entry on Mount panorama. I took slightly too long to recover and got reset on the track with an empty tank to do a lap of shame at 50mph watching everyone go by. I tried to back up first which only made things worse.

My regular embarrassing moments are overtaking on the inside, then since I'm not on my usual side of the track, can't see my brake marker due to the car next to me and overshoot the corner, sometimes taking out the car I was over taking :(

Also always leave the self congratulating till after the race. Many times I think during the race, you're doing really good, only to fly off in the next corner. Especially embarrassing after puling off a difficult over take, congratulate myself on the success, then go wide on the next turn to watch the car I worked 3 laps on to pass go by again.

And then there's the getting so fixated on following the car in front of you, that despite constantly reminding yourself to drive your own corners, you still end up following him into the grass :/

Another one I had was in one of my first properly competitive fia race at Suzuka in group 3 cars
Somehow stuck it on pole with a 1:59.1 as back then an a/s against mostly a/s and a few s/s right behind me
Led 8 out of 10 laps driving under huge pressure and defending the whole time cos I didn’t have the pace to win outright but just enough to hold them off (this was before they added pitstops and tyre wear or the race they didn’t I think)

Going through turn 1 the 60 secs till tv turns off message comes on and I’m on my wheel and I couldn’t see the remote looked across my bed moving covers and pillows whilst butchering the first Esses section at Suzuka
Leant across my bed and got the remote as I went into the degners just able to reach pedals and one hand on the wheel while doing so at this point in my panic 2nd had pulled alongside without me noticing and I accidentally gave him a bit of a squeeze wasn’t that bad but if I was driving fully focused easily could have been cleaner.
Then once I finally pressed the button for the remote it was just before braking for the hairpin and I went slightly wide and that’s how I lost the lead and only finished second
Was gutted considering I held on to the lead through the tough section (the esses)

Well, it was quite embarrassing, but I'm glad nobody had seen it:
Starting last at the Suzuka gr2 daily race (because I didn't had set a lap time). As soon as I passed the chicane before the first lap, I tapped the gas a bit too much and ended up spinning into the gravel.
What did I learn out of that? - Be careful when your tyres are cold.

Ok, this is really bad, because it involves me losing my temper and wrecking someone, or at least attempting to...
Ya know whats worse than a dirty driver?
A fast driver who also drives dirty, but doesn't need to...
I was in second at Nurb GP. I had watched the first place driver take out anyone who got near him ( this was a C SR race, i was in the process of getting back to S after a run of bad luck)
As i caught up and took my shot at the lead, he rammed me off the track, ok, i was expecting that. 1 lap later, as im going to pass him he swerves towards me, so i slammed the brakes and he careened right past me into the wall, and i got the lead.
Evidently the guy didnt like that i outsmarted him, he was a good 2, 2.5sec behind me, he drove like a man possessed and caught back up in two laps (the guy had the pace of an S class driver, he just intentionally races dirty to keep his SR low so he gets matched against unskilled opponents) he wasted no time and punted me into the gravel on the last turn, now im about 2sec behind with a lap to go, AND IM PISSED!!!
Now i drive like a madman and close to about .7 sec behind coming out of the chicane before the final turn.
Now, i know im too far back to make a pass and win, but ill be dammed if this dirty sandbagger is gonna win...
So i flat foot it into the final turn and tried to take him out
And sailed right past his back bumper and into the wall at full speed, also getting a 5sec penalty
(Goes to show how often i actually do wreck people, considering when i try to race dirty i usually wreck myself)
And to add insult to injury and embarrassment, the guy let me have it in the post race comments, and sent me a few PSN messages too
The moral of the story...
Revenge is a dish best served in the comments section. (Or, as i did, challenge your rival to a grudge match on the Nordschlieffe and beat them by over 20sec...)

I raced Tsukuba yesterday and basically won by driving like a geriatric through a drive-by shootout.

In Qualifying I placed 5th on the grid ( B/A ) with a 1:06 lap time. The top 3 cars were well ahead and it looked like it was going to be a boring race since everyone seemed reasonably spaced apart with their grid times. Then on turn 4 all hell broke lose. The pole position car was lagging bad and over shot the hairpin, lawn darting into the wall.

The pole position car then violently reentered the track ramming two other cars and almost running me off of the track. He then proceeded to dive bomb everyone on every turn eventually wiping himself out into the wall on the last hairpin (turn 7). From then on it was a royal rumble for 4th place.

Meanwhile I'm in first place trying to hold back 2 other drivers that are way faster than me. I'm blocking by running middle track lines to the apex (I don't weave)but my defensive line is slowing me down badly and it's embarrassing, but I know that the guys behind me are furious and I'm just expecting to be punted out of the way. I'm blocking but at the same time, I'm running a basic predictable defensive line and I'm not going to viciously defend my position because it's blatantly obvious that I'm embarrassingly slow.

Everyone is so furious that every time I get bonked and dive bombed, they accrue penalties and have to back off again. Eventually I scrubbed too much speed on turn 4, and concede the inside to the faster driver but he had to serve his penalties on the last lap giving me the technical win. If the Sport lobby had shrug emojis I would have used them.

The pole position car tanked his SR from A to E. The entire grid, literally every car, had penalties and diminished SR rankings and somehow I got away with a clean racing bonus. I need to upload the video to my kids youtube account and share it. Watching the race from the pole position's perspective was insanely hilarious.

Last edited:
I entered a Daily Race A and was waiting at the pre-race clock screen. There was about a minute left in the countdown. I started messing around on my phone and started watching cat videos. I was glued to my device for a few minutes. Suddenly, I noticed a flash on my TV and there was a disqualification notice.

I thought my brake point was 100 not 150 on the way down the mountain.
To say I missed my turn in would be putting it mildly.
Haha exactly the same mistake happened also to me. The difference is that I was chasing a car in front of me and I was so focused on the leading car and its braking point, that I completely missed mine. I tried not to hit the car in front of me but sadly I it still happened. Eventhough I didn't do it on purpose, it didn't look too good (fair) in the replay and I understood the other guy being pretty pi**ed...

I was driving over the kerb because I was pushing for fastest lap and wanted every thousanth of a second I could get :/

This. So much this. Several times ive been leading and get so concerned with my compulsion to get a PB on every lap that i cock it up in the final few corners and see everyone else stream past me whilst i rejoin the circuit.

Back