Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
EDIT: This thread was just intended for the 1.23 update, to run a poll & see how people felt about those changes. But, for some unknown reason, people keep posting in here instead of the original GT Sport's Physics Thread located here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt-sport-physics-thread.362845/

Original post below;

So, we've had several adjustments to the tyre model, but the question is; are they any good? Has it improved the situation, or made it worse? What's your opinion...

Here's the 1.23 update changelog regarding the physics changes;

"8. Physics Simulation Model
 - The Tyre Simulation Model has been adjusted: handling during acceleration, deceleration and cornering have changed;
- The differences in grip power due to tyre temperature variations in races where the "Tyre Wear" option is enabled have been adjusted;
 - In "Sport" mode, "Lobby", and "Custom Race", the amount of grip reduction when the [Grip Red. on Wet Track/Track Edge] option within the [Race Settings] is set to “Real” has been adjusted. (When set to “Real”, the grip reduction when picking up debris on tyres from driving off track, etc. will be more severe and it will take longer to recover grip compared to before);
 - The handling of Formula cars when using the DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller has been adjusted;
 - With this update of car's physics simulation model, the rankings of "Driving School", "Mission Challenge", and "Circuit Experience" has been reset. (This will not affect a player's level progression)."

Flaws of the tyre model simulation thread here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/flaws-of-the-tyre-model-simulation.374616/

👍

Last edited:
I did a couple laps with the Ferrari Gr.3 on Brands (RH tires) -- it's a combo I drive often -- and got some of the worst times I've put down in a long time. But I'd chalk that up to the different feel. It does seem like there's slightly more warning before the back comes loose. But that was also time trial so I don't know how they react with wear.

Then I did a couple laps on Suzuka with the Lexus Gr.2, a combo I drove earlier today. Got loose in a section I had no trouble with before. Tires perhaps feel more slippery than with the old model, but I don't want to be hasty about making a judgment yet.

I did a couple laps with the Ferrari Gr.3 on Brands (RH tires) -- it's a combo I drive often -- and got some of the worst times I've put down in a long time. But I'd chalk that up to the different feel. It does seem like there's slightly more warning before the back comes loose. But that was also time trial so I don't know how they react with wear.

Then I did a couple laps on Suzuka with the Lexus Gr.2, a combo I drove earlier today. Got loose in a section I had no trouble with before. Tires perhaps feel more slippery than with the old model, but I don't want to be hasty about making a judgment yet.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

I had a few laps before I left for work and they were in a new car (787b) but it did seem to want to move around a little more than maybe I would expect, wasn't too tricky though.

I also did the Le Mans Circuit Experience in the 919 and it felt really good, especially in the chicanes.

First impressions obviously and not in my usual combos but promising to start with.

Tires perhaps feel more slippery than with the old model...
It would match with what the Nürb event guys reported, assuming this new model is same/similar to the one in the event used

Indeed. Posted on Reddit: "Rear tyres especially are worse, lots more slip. 2 seconds a lap slower at Monza already." Source.

I just hope the wheels spin at the start has been improved, along with the cars unrealistic tendency to let go in higher gears when cornering fast. Have been testing the Ferrari 458 Italia extensively on the previous tyre model, & know that car inside out on many different tyre combinations. Will test it out this afternoon on the new tyre model & report back soon...

There is a huge change in the off-road physics. Cars now have a floaty tendency when steering, so it is important to lead your car through the corners by turning early. Its grip is no longer as instant as it was before.

Tested on the Ford F-150.

If I hadn't seen this thread or the update notes, I would think there has been no change. It's really only a subtle update and after a few laps the top guys should be able to post laptimes similar to before. Personally I don't think it's better or worse (or more realistic than before), the car just does slightly different things when it loses grip.

In the La Sarthe circuit experience with 919 I straightaway noticed the front end understeering more when on power due to the hybrid system engaging. Braking seems to be a lot better though. Handling is roughly the same from what I remember but the steering feels a bit vague near centre.

With the AMG GT3 around St Croix I didn't notice too much difference in accel/brake/handling. I'm familiar with the car, but not with the track so I wasn't pushing as hard as I could, that's probably why.

With the XBOW at Blue Moon, a combo that I've done 9000 kms in due to grinding, I can feel a difference straight away. The perfect tune no longer sticks like glue. The front end pushes a lot more and apex speeds are around 2-3 kmh slower. But for some reason the outside tyre loading feels more progressive and the breakaway when the car does lose grip is more controllable (previously you just get a snap oversteer).

I also tested the first driving school mission (MX5 accelerating from a standstill). I remember this was the absolute proof that GTS' tyre model sucks in terms of longitudinal grip. With TCS at 1 (for consistency), I immediately beat my previous record by 0.3 secs. So it seems it's been improved in this regard 👍

I still need to test drifting, dirt tyres, and ABS off. Also, different drivetrains/tyre combos might be affected differently. But on first impression, it's not a big revolution. More of like an incremental change. Longitudinal grip seems to be better (good), but lateral grip seems to have been reduced (was never a problem for me). So it's one step forward, one step back.

As always, Assetto is still my gold standard ;)

I think that "it feels more slippy" is because now there is more longitudinal grip and same latereal grip like before patch. That makes it feel more slippy because the grip is now even more unbalanced.

I also feel that front grip build up is repeading all the time, insteed of build up the natural way or better say the real way. It makes the wheel build up forcefeedback strenght then reset, then build up again, reset, build up again,reset....it feels soo wrong. This effect was already before patch, but now more present. (sry for bad english, i would like to discribe it more detailed but i think some will understand) :)

I don’t get it... I’ve always felt like the cars behave too slippery before the update so reading that they are even more slippery is kinda worrying... Can anyone try road cars? Especially something like a 200hp Toyota GT86 with SH tyres? Can it break the grip coming out of corner in, say 2nd gear? In reality it’s impossible with semi-slick tyres.

I'm very used to the BM X-bow combo so I decided to test the tyre model there. The rear end wanted to come around a lot in turn 3, especially when passing on the outside. It was a lot harder to chuck it in when i couldn't go for the apex. I had to lift slightly on about half of the 15 laps. It didn't go suddenly though so catching oversteer will be easier if it happens similarly across the board. My lap times were down slightly, only going below 45.5 once.

When I'm home later I'll take the BMW M6 GT3 out on the nordschleife with it's stock setup and see what the lap time difference is like. I'm on a ds4 but I know the car very well so I will notice a difference if there is any. If it I'd changed significantly I'll pick up on it within the first few corners.

Back