Formula 1 Grande Premio Heineken do Brasil 2018Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 227 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
It's post-qualifying and we don't have a GP thread yet. How the floob did we manage that?
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length

4.309km

Race Distance

305.879 km

Lap Record

1:11.044 Max Verstappen (2017)

so Vettel and Lewis dont get any penalty.... ok,for lewis i do get it,Sirotkin wasnt on a flying lap...

But Vettel??? this was bizar! you have(!!!!!!!) to turn engine off ,and he also broke the scale...and he doesnt get a grid penalty?

Why does he always gets away with everything??

If Max or any other driver did yhis,100% sure they would get a massive grid penalty!

pfffff....

Spy.

so Vettel and Lewis dont get any penalty.... ok,for lewis i do get it,Sirotkin wasnt on a flying lap...

But Vettel??? this was bizar! you have(!!!!!!!) to turn engine off ,and he also broke the scale...and he doesnt get a grid penalty?

If Max or any other driver did yhis,100% sure they would get a massive grid penalty!

pfffff....

Spy.

It was explained so no...this isn't special treatment. Also he got a non-driving reprimand and has to pay 25k Euros.

Interlagos always seems to have some odd stuff going on. I definitely am surprised by the lack of significant penalties for either Hamilton or Vettel.

I know it may not be news or anything special at this point, but going by the 2017 1:11 lap record, every single car in quali broke that record by more than a few seconds. 1:07.281 was the fastest lap today. This was despite the rain and many drivers getting very dicey with the grass and some of the kerbs.

Also, I too was confused by the lack of a thread so late in to the weekend. Was tempted to put it up myself. I guess once the Driver's Championship is wrapped up, people lose massive interest around here? Would make more sense for Yas Marina, but Interlagos is always a fun track to watch racing.

How exactly does a weighbridge break so easily...?
The weighbridge in this instance was just 4 pressure pads sitting on the floor of the pit lane. So an F1 car accelerating off them a bit too briskly would cause the rear ones to be pushed backwards.

I understand the fine for Vettel and that's more what I expected - breaking some equipment, etc.

Lewis was in a bit of a no-win situation, particularly with Sirotkin. He looked in his mirrors and moved to get out of the way - but was obviously late. If he hadn't moved (possibly safer), he would have been penalized for obstructing a lap anyway. No real way around it I guess.

Just hoping for rain or, better, intermittent rain tomorrow. One noticeable thing is that Interlagos is lookin' rough! Not necessarily run-down per se, but very old and rustic, lol.

What happens with Lewis not getting investigated or penalized in that matter was ridiculous! he was driving unnecessarily too slowly and almost caused a huge crash! Instead the FIA went on to investigate Vettel! That was the absolute worst crap of the season. To call someone to be weighted in a very critical conditions where every second count and he didn’t set a lap. Common sense should have been used there.

What happens with Lewis not getting investigated or penalized in that matter was ridiculous! he was driving unnecessarily too slowly and almost caused a huge crash! Instead the FIA went on to investigate Vettel! That was the absolute worst crap of the season. To call someone to be weighted in a very critical conditions where every second count and he didn’t set a lap. Common sense should have been used there.
Common sense should have been used to construct your post.

He didn’t get a penalty because Sirotkin(?) wasn’t on a fast lap he was just going quickly on a warm up lap.

No penalty

Common sense should have been used to construct your post.

He didn’t get a penalty because Sirotkin(?) wasn’t on a fast lap he was just going quickly on a warm up lap.

No penalty
If the FIA won't do anything because it was an outlap then it completely undermines all their talk about safety. A crash during an outlap isn't any less dangerous. This isn't about ruining Sirotkin's lap, it's about safety.

Hamilton should really have got a penalty for both his block on Sirotkin and Raikkonen.

Vettel failed to give a representative weight for his car. The FIA should have said "as you are unable to give us a proper weight, we must therefore assume your car was underweight and disqualify you from qualifying". Teams now know the precident for failing to do the weighbridge correctly, so they can sent the car out underweight, rev the engine on the weighbridge and get a small fine.

What's the penalty for missing the call for the weighbridge? Vettel needed that penalty plus any damages to the scales and more for endangering people working in the pitlane. A reprimand and a tiny fine are a joke.

If the FIA won't do anything because it was an outlap then it completely undermines all their talk about safety. A crash during an outlap isn't any less dangerous. This isn't about ruining Sirotkin's lap, it's about safety.
And safety is every drivers responsibility. There were multiple drivers on their out lap trying to get space to start their flying lap. Bottas had slowed in front of Hamilton to get a gap and Hamilton had slowed in front of Sirotkin to get a gap. Sirotkin can't expect to just barrel round at racing speed on a n out lap when he knows other drivers are in front of him in the exact same situation as him. He has to take on some responsibility as well.

Lewis wasn’t driving overly slowly for the start of a quali lap (which we saw in all of quali and in P3), but Sirotkin was driving much faster than you’d expect... that in its self could have cause a collision.

How was Lewis to blame anymore than Sirotkin?

Vettel failed to give a representative weight for his car. The FIA should have said "as you are unable to give us a proper weight, we must therefore assume your car was underweight and disqualify you from qualifying". Teams now know the precident for failing to do the weighbridge correctly, so they can sent the car out underweight, rev the engine on the weighbridge and get a small fine.

On Ted’s Notebook, a Ferrari representative said that Seb did turn off the engine when asked (as per regulations) and they had the data to prove it. His understanding was that Vettel did as per what was asked but due to him rushing turned on the engine and restarted the car and then drove off.

I’m guessing next year they might make the car drive onto more of a platform with the weighing pads built into it.

Lewis wasn’t driving overly slowly for the start of a quali lap (which we saw in all of quali and in P3), but Sirotkin was driving much faster than you’d expect... that in its self could have cause a collision.

How was Lewis to blame anymore than Sirotkin?
Because if Lewis had kept his line, even by being on the racing line, there would have been less of a close call, if at all. Makes me think about the trackdays I've done, it's way safer to keep your line, even when much slower, and let them pass you, than to try and jump out of the way. It's not like it was in the middle of a tight corner. Sure, some corners it makes sense to go wide at the apex, while others you stay tight instead of tracking out to give those behind you the most room.

Even though Sergey was exiting a corner and about to touch the kerb, when Lewis tried to change line, it made Sergey have to turn even sharper. Watching the replay again a few more times, I can see an argument for Sergey to just keep his original line, but I still also argue that when a faster driver makes a line change like that, you don't move to effect whatever line they were committed to taking.

Because if Lewis had kept his line, even by being on the racing line, there would have been less of a close call, if at all. Makes me think about the trackdays I've done, it's way safer to keep your line, even when much slower, and let them pass you, than to try and jump out of the way. It's not like it was in the middle of a tight corner. Sure, some corners it makes sense to go wide at the apex, while others you stay tight instead of tracking out to give those behind you the most room.

Even though Sergey was exiting a corner and about to touch the kerb, when Lewis tried to change line, it made Sergey have to turn even sharper. Watching the replay again a few more times, I can see an argument for Sergey to just keep his original line, but I still also argue that when a faster driver makes a line change like that, you don't move to effect whatever line they were committed to taking.
But that would have impeded Sirotkins ‘lap’ and made a mess of his following lap because he’d be offline for the braking zone of the final corner.

It was just a misunderstanding on all sides

I can understand the non-penalty on Hamilton as Sirotkin was on his outlap... But what about the "dangerous" driving thing?

But that would have impeded Sirotkins ‘lap’ and made a mess of his following lap because he’d be offline for the braking zone of the final corner.

It was just a misunderstanding on all sides

Having seen it, and with hindsight, it appears was a damned if you do, and damned if you don't situation for Lewis - there's only so much you can predict, and nobody is a mind reader, not even top level F1 guys

In truth Lewis did the wrong thing by doing the right thing, and that is to get off the racing line for the Sergey only to have the Sergey get off the racing line to overtake him. Bad timing perhaps, but nothing more than an honest racing incident.

It was explained so no...this isn't special treatment. Also he got a non-driving reprimand and has to pay 25k Euros.
I definitely am surprised by the lack of significant penalties for either Hamilton or Vettel.
I understand the fine for Vettel and that's more what I expected - breaking some equipment, etc.
Instead the FIA went on to investigate Vettel! That was the absolute worst crap of the season. To call someone to be weighted in a very critical conditions where every second count and he didn’t set a lap. Common sense should have been used there.

What's the penalty for missing the call for the weighbridge? Vettel needed that penalty plus any damages to the scales and more for endangering people working in the pitlane. A reprimand and a tiny fine are a joke.
On Ted’s Notebook, a Ferrari representative said that Seb did turn off the engine when asked (as per regulations) and they had the data to prove it. His understanding was that Vettel did as per what was asked but due to him rushing turned on the engine and restarted the car and then drove off.
It's interesting that no-one's noted Vettel drove his car at an FIA representative. After hitting the cone in the weighbridge area, an FIA official had to go and retrieve it, and Vettel started gesticulating at him to get out of the way while moving the car forward as the man was still in front of him.

Not exactly race pace, but more than a bit rude.

Last edited:
Well in all honesty I think it was weird the cone was still in place and after Vettel knocked it over the guy was not really making any haste. Also when the other guy give Vettel the sign he could ‘go’, Vettel let go of the brakes and starting rolling backwards and rolled off the weight scales. An F1 car may not weigh much but I won’t believe they could’ve pushed the car over the weights on uphill.

It's interesting that no-one's noted Vettel drove his car at an FIA representative. After hitting the cone in the weighbridge area, an FIA official had to go and retrieve it, and Vettel started gesticulating at him to get out of the way while moving the car forward as the man was still in front of him.

Not exactly race pace, but more than a bit rude.

I agree, besides the weighbridge infraction, I think he should also be penalized for dangerous driving.

Regarding Hamilton, having heard from Sirotkin what happened, I think Hamilton's move is much more understandable. He wouldn't have been warned, as Sirotkin was on an outlap, but driving much faster than usual. Taking that into account, his move infront of Raikkonen was worse. He moved a bit to the left, suggesting to Kimi that he expects him to pass on the right, but didn't move far enough left to make room for that.

Regardless of qualifying, I’m just happy we have Hamilton and Vettel alongside one another at the front!

Now just praying for rain (apparently there is a 40% chance an hour into the race)

Back