Oceania now split from Asia - horrible decision

• Thread starter resarf
  • 200 comments
Australia
Melbourne
In the latest update Oceania (Australia & New Zealand) is now its own region but I don't think the player base is strong enough to support it. In the 7.10pm race B there was only 8 players in my race, this is peak time for the GT audience.

Also I know not everyone will agree but I liked racing against players from all over Asia, it feels really limiting to race against just Aus/NZ.

Last edited:
As much as I agree that this is a bad move, I don't think you can base it from tonights data, as many people will still be downloading and installing the patch

Read this last Sunday on the GTSport news feed.
??? WHY ???
I never really had many issues with lag.
Out of most races I did in either daily races or championships, at least 10/16 players where Japanese, then maybe 2-3 Aussies and random other Asian Nations or rarely a NZ driver.
The part that will suck is the small player base, I envisage there will be races with S through to E ranked players all combined.

I guess I will find out how empty it is when I get a chance to play in a few weeks time.

Having played a few games now, the races aren't always empty but I now find myself racing against DR C/D drivers as opposed to only DR S/A/B drivers.

I'm nothing special (B/S) but I was quick enough and clean enough to race against the best (and lose!).

Speaking as someone that has given up on Sport races I don't really care. I was sick and tired of "dirty" drivers with a red dot on their flag. BUT, having said that, they were very fast as opposed to the majority of my fellow Australians that just had no idea on how to drive. Yes, there were several fast ones and we ended have great races but alas, this was definitely in the minority.

Also I noted I was getting less lag with Asia than with fellow Aussies as it would seem WA has a better feed with Asia than it does with our own East Coast ;-)

Now that Australia has entered summer there is a 3 hour time difference from west to east and so even if I was wanting to race there would be very few people on. It is bad enough with my friends in lobbies logging off as I just get on :-(

My $0.02 worth ;-)

I did race C it was 14 people before the race it was 11.

It actually felt empty to be honest.

Im in Australia if anybody wants to race add me my psn name is Decepticon 47.

Last edited:
In South America is also empty. I've seen pictures of people racing alone.

Both these regions will suffer, by far the ones with less players now.

I wonder how the FIA seasons will be affected. Is AUS/NZ and Latin America now two brand new regions where we only compete amongst ourselves?

Or is it more of a server-only split to improve connections, but the overall FIA points will still be all of the Americas together, or all of Asia + Oceania as before? If this is the case, Latin America and AUS/NZ will be at a huge disadvantage due to low player counts causing big DR spreads in the lobbies and, hence, offering fewer points.

I wonder how the FIA seasons will be affected. Is AUS/NZ and Latin America now two brand new regions where we only compete amongst ourselves?

Or is it more of a server-only split to improve connections, but the overall FIA points will still be all of the Americas together, or all of Asia + Oceania as before? If this is the case, Latin America and AUS/NZ will be at a huge disadvantage due to low player counts causing big DR spreads in the lobbies and, hence, offering fewer points.

We don't know yet but ranking people on different regions and different availablity of points is wrong, don't think PD would do that.

I wonder how the FIA seasons will be affected. Is AUS/NZ and Latin America now two brand new regions where we only compete amongst ourselves?.

I think the success of the FIA championships might have been one factor, perhaps inspiring them to expand on the concept by creating two more regions. Potentially good idea but I think it's at the expense of the player bases in those regions.

I think the success of the FIA championships might have been one factor, perhaps inspiring them to expand on the concept by creating two more regions. Potentially good idea but I think it's at the expense of the player bases in those regions.

Agreed. I think it's good to regionalize even more the FIA races. Also gives more people a chance of success. But the region that would benefit the most from a division is EMEA as there are tons of countries and tons of players and it's extremely competitive.

However, these two new regions are going to kill the Dailies in the Americas and AUS/NZ. Dailies need to be opened up to worldwide matchmaking. Lag is already an issue because of people playing from countries that don't correspond to their accounts. Low player counts were already an issue, now it's going to be worse.

It was bad enough doing the Dailies with 12 people in Race C with a DR spread from A+ down to D. Now it will be the same but with the aggravation of SR spreads from S to D, too.

I wonder if PD's stupid decision of letting people race the FIA events multiple times is an attempt to minimize the empty grid problem that will occur in regions like Oceania and South America. If that's the case, it's too much trouble and too much to lose for the sake of lag, which has never been a huge issue.

Lots more green bars now rather than the usual yellow/red / orange ones that used to frequent Aussie racers.
Best Asia/Oceania are mostly from... Japan! So... taking them out all at once... will make rather easier Australian and New Zealand players lifes...

I think that UN should be informed of this dishonest segregation.. to say the least....

Theres still plenty of racers that will give me a thrashing still so it'll still be challenging. What will be easier will be the less cars zig zagging all over the race track which is a good thing.
Best Asia/Oceania are mostly from... Japan! So... taking them out all at once... will make rather easier Australian and New Zealand players lifes...

I think that UN should be informed of this dishonest segregation.. to say the least....

Its not really oceania now though is it. No Kiribati for example - major GTS playing nation that one.

Kiwis don't like it but NZ is really just the 7th state of Australia, so you could just call it the Australia region.

Perfect lets combine South America and Oceania into a new region called Southern Hemisphere!

Time zones might be a factor but who cares!!!!

That's a good idea actually. Might throw Africa in there as well while we're at it. /sarcasm

Honestly besides changing daily races to weekly, this is the worst decision PD has made for GTS. I'm really hoping it's just a trial run and they'll see that it doesn't work and revert back. Otherwise for a game so heavily focused on online it has really taken out most of my motivation to race. If anything I'd want region locking to be removed entirely so we can race players everywhere (only keep the FIA races region locked). If that means Sony/PD has to invest in servers in each country, then so be it. Put all that $$$ to good use instead of wasting it on overly extravagant launch parties and other useless side projects.

I would prefer if they removed the region lock from the daily races. I will glady risk having more laggy cars for this to happen, it wouldn’t be much worse for me then it has been before tbh.

Last edited:
Yeah adding this to everything else I'm pretty much out.

Sad day for a great game and franchise when they just decide to almost literally tell these regions, who have always been behind them, to get lost and keep quiet, the real players don't want to see them.

Let's not jump to conclusions just yet, give it a chance. If it turns out to be a mistake, then we can start claiming that it's horrible. But it's only early days at the moment; you can't really make an accurate judgement from just 2 races.

The game has never been stronger and yet my motivation to play it is now greatly reduced. I hope they revert back but given how stubborn they've been on weekly races I don't see it happening.

When I raced aus/nz in the past, their connection always 1 or 2 bars. And normally I can't race them closely because of the lag effect. The car will pop up randomly and it was very unpleasant experience.

That what I saw from SG/MY.

Does this mean there is now a dedicated server in our region, or is it still based in Japan? Would be nice to see more than three bars.

Last edited:
Probably PD/Sony invested to put dedicated servers on that region. Same as iRacing Australia and World Of Warcraft Australia

Back