2019 F1 Constructor Thread Personnel/DevFormula 1 

United States
Arizona
HamiltonMP427
image.jpg

Graphic of the changes from '18 to '19. Rear wing will be raised higher, be wider and have more camber with less intricate end plate design. Mirror placement has also been changed which still is getting some flak from teams/drivers. The front wing is much wider and will supposedly prevent out-washing, many have suggested it wont do that so well. Brake ducts have been changed and will be bigger, and barge boards have been changed so they'll be less complicated looking and acting aero wise.

There are also other smaller changes like separate weight of car and driver, the LED rear wing end plate lights Mercedes was seen testing with mid-year last year are no mandatory. And the ugly helmets that are suppose to be more impact safe are now mandatory for drivers.

More important I think is increased fuel flow from 105 to 110kg

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ing-to-f1-in-2019.3G8r94lzEAEiG8WS0oCm8y.html

Last edited:
Well to start things off, in typical Ferrari fashion the man at the top of the heap is out and replaced. Not like it matters maybe now he can take up what the fake news (as he claimed) was suggesting and run a certain high profile Football Club.

Anyways Arrivibene has been replaced. I don't like this because I don't feel it was always Ferrari blunders that cost them, I think if you want to blame one particular thing on the pit wall then sure it is giving 1 driver all the attention.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/news/f1/ferrari-replaces-f1-team-principal

Ferrari must have a fair few revolving doors in their offices: one person leaves, another enters. Then that person leaves, then another one enters...

On the plus side, wasn't it almost statistically proven recently that Ferrari does far worse when its team is comprised of actual Italians? Maybe he'll be replaced by some logical German and they'll conquer the series in a year and a half.

It's a good change, it seems Arrivabene wasn't the most popular guy within the team. Binotto is more qualified for the job anyway, and according to the press release all the technical areas will continue to report to him just as they did when he was technical director.

It's a good change, it seems Arrivabene wasn't the most popular guy within the team. Binotto is more qualified for the job anyway, and according to the press release all the technical areas will continue to report to him just as they did when he was technical director.

Here's my main issue with all that though, why was Binotto passed up in the first place? Guy has been with the team for more than two decades now, probably one of the most diverse with knowledge on that team from all iterations of the rules since then. Also was supposedly liked more than Arrivabene yet it took this long to give the guy the top seat.

Maybe it's me but I never felt the people who have marketing and PR and or any other non-racing background are all too good to run the entire operations of an F1 team. Arrivabene to me was probably the best I've seen, perhaps this is what Ferrari need to run far more consistently strategy wise, along with Seb not being so spin happy.

Last edited:
It seems like Arrivabene was a stop gap solution. There were rumors of him being removed for the 2018 season, the death of Marchionne only delayed this change.

Last edited:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/12/26/the-cost-of-f1-revealed-how-much-teams-spent-in-2018-part-two/

Thought this was interesting especially when you look back at all the updates and technical stuff posted in the 2018 thread and then look at the spending levels, which aren't all that different from the last few years but are increasing along with staff which is even faster in growth.

That's a very interesting read. The only thing I disagree with is the idea that the points are "weighted in favour of wins" when a direct comparison with the old 10-point system shows that it's weighted against 2nd place, although more teams can score points.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-honda-design-concept-engine/4321700/?nrt=54

Honda plan to keep building off the 2017 engine design which has been making gains since then and still has potential.

And Renault going with an all new design supposedly for 2019 the only thing from 2018 is the power steering.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/fo...erspricht-komplett-neues-2019er-auto-19012406

https://which-50.com/how-machine-learning-is-changing-formula-1-racing/

This also seems like an interesting read I've heard about recently.

The biggest complaint around McLaren recently has been the personnel and I feel like they’ve made some great hires in the past few months

They've made (mostly) great hires in every re-shuffle, they need to get those personnel working well together. I really hope they will but there seems to be something rotten somewhere in the core.

They've made (mostly) great hires in every re-shuffle, they need to get those personnel working well together. I really hope they will but there seems to be something rotten somewhere in the core.
Newey writes in his book that there is something disturbing about the building itself. He's also made adverse comments about the corporate management-by-committee culture. Possibly the later has evolved, but there's not much to be done with building design, I suppose.

Last edited:
Newey writes in his book that there is something disturbing about the building itself.

He does. My favourite of his anecdotes is that he didn't like to use the official (and mandatory) entrance so would sneak in through a loading bay. Turned out he was being watched on CCTV, and he received a warning. How very Ron.

It was always going to happen, Peter Sauber has zero involvement in the team these days anyway.

It was always going to happen, Peter Sauber has zero involvement in the team these days anyway.

He retired from motorsport in 2016 so yes, but I believe this latest development is the last withdrawal of the company named Sauber.

Ferrari contracted experienced test/simulator drivers --> Brendon Hartley and Pascal Wehrlein

Yeah Pascal said something about it last week but put it in a capacity of not to get too excited. I didn't announce it here cause I thought it was for the driver thread though, does one for this year exist yet?

Yeah Pascal said something about it last week but put it in a capacity of not to get too excited. I didn't announce it here cause I thought it was for the driver thread though, does one for this year exist yet?
I had the same doubts to post it here or create a new thread. It's personnel related so thought it was a good idea to place it here.

I had the same doubts to post it here or create a new thread. It's personnel related so thought it was a good idea to place it here.

Yeah I see your point, plus since no other thread relevant to that exists right now, might as well put it here anyways.

also from what I'm seeing in this image so far I'm nervous and hoping that the livery is either a test one or not nearly as bad as it seems like it may be from this little snippet.

DyqKvzmXcAAETEn.jpg

Also don't forget tomorrow is the Haas reveal or their 2019 livery.

As someone had pointed out on Reddit, the livery appears to use the same pattern as the camo used on the EQC prototype.

2020-mercedes-benz-eqc-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100656508.jpg

So then it is a test one only most likely

DyzerLTXcAI4k5x.jpg:large

Also did anyone else notice the wing element on the rear wing of the car separate from the main rear wing. Almost like a double rear wing similar to that of the mid 80s.

edit: never mind I solved it, it just the way the livery and the new massive end plates look in that lighting, along with the t-wing.

Last edited:
From that angle, the first initial thought that crossed my mind was – "They've saved themselves some money, grabbed last year's Ferrari and painted it black."

Ferrari-SF71H-Bburago-18-16806V-8.jpg

Back