How did Gran Turismo Sport make GT franchise no longer a laughing stock?

• Thread starter o000o
  • 234 comments
Indonesia
Indonesia
Between the flaks of the game like huge doubt of the game at launch, the lacking car list (far fewer than Forza, though actually similar to GT1/GT3), the still almost non-existent visual damage (dunno about the mechanical one), the photorealistic graphic approach from PD (which sometimes games with more saturated graphics like Driveclub or Forza can look better), and the low score this game get compared to competitors (7.5 from IGN); with GT4 Prologue-like Career mode may take part of that....how did GT Sport managed to make GT no longer a laughing stock (GT in PS3 era started becoming that)? (judging by the comments).

Last edited:
Different people want different things from games. The things you mention are positives to me, not negatives. I prefer games to have relatively few cars. I turn off all cosmetic damage if given the option.

OTOH I'd like the game to have full leaderboards rather than just top 10, I'd like to be able to see the times of people I'm following rather than needing them to accept a friends request, I'd like to be able to race against ghosts from leaderboards, I'd like sport mode qualifying and racing to give me the same credits as the best campaign races etc.

Probably because the game's actually good? I've also never seen GT as a laughing stock, especially when it essentially helped pave the way for Forza to even exist.

Also comparing the car list is cheap. GT beat Forza because of reused PS2 cars, and Forza's beating GT Sport because of reused old Forza models dating back to the Xbox and Forza 2.

Every long lasting game franchise has it's ups and downs. I think it's completely untrue to say Gran Turismo has ever been considered a laughing stock as a general consensus though.

My unpopular opinion is that GT Sport is almost perfect for my tastes and gaming habits. I have no interest in another CARPG style of game. I enjoy racing online with real competitors with a system that (for the most part) encourages clean racing. The bigger the car list, the more cars that go unused.

If GT Sport had been GT7 as a traditional GT game I wouldn't have purchased it. PD have moved the franchise along and kept it relevant. This will help find new fans and upset others.

The way PD have kept updating the game with free updates should only be applauded.

You can't keep all the people happy all of the time.

Probably because the game's actually good? I've also never seen GT as a laughing stock, especially when it essentially helped pave the way for Forza to even exist.

Also comparing the car list is cheap. GT beat Forza because of reused PS2 cars, and Forza's beating GT Sport because of reused old Forza models dating back to the Xbox and Forza 2.
GT was laughing stock at PS3 era, what I catch was mainly because of the standard cars (reused PS2 cars) and the vacuum cleaner car sounds

GT was laughing stock at PS3 era, what I catch was mainly because of the standard cars (reused PS2 cars) and the vacuum cleaner car sounds

GT5.JPG
GT6.JPG

Hardly a laughing stock.

Gt Sport still is a laughing stock to many people, myself included. From the nonlinear throttle to the deliberately broken clutch, not to mention the lifeless & dull FFB compared to GT6 with wheels like the G29, as well as the wonky & ever changing tyre physics. The game is still riddled with bad game design & countless bugs too. There's a lot to like & a lot to dislike, there's a lot to love & a lot to hate, & there's a lot to feel indifferent to as well...

Every long lasting game franchise has it's ups and downs. I think it's completely untrue to say Gran Turismo has ever been considered a laughing stock as a general consensus though.

My unpopular opinion is that GT Sport is almost perfect for my tastes and gaming habits. I have no interest in another CARPG style of game. I enjoy racing online with real competitors with a system that (for the most part) encourages clean racing. The bigger the car list, the more cars that go unused.

If GT Sport had been GT7 as a traditional GT game I wouldn't have purchased it. PD have moved the franchise along and kept it relevant. This will help find new fans and upset others.

The way PD have kept updating the game with free updates should only be applauded.

You can't keep all the people happy all of the time.
Then what should be improved of it, that is 'relevant' according to yours? If car list is redundant and probably, track lists too.

Having played since GT1, I don't believe it has ever been considered a "laughing stock". Who's laughing?
The trend is that people who played since GT1 have been switching to Forza, and never look back apart from totally mocking the former franchise they followed (GT).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's plenty of other games out there.... try Forza, or PC2, or Mario Kart.... nobody is forcing you to play GTS!
There wasn't PC2 that time, and the reason of picking one is because GT and Forza are console exclusives (Forza only came to PC since 7 and Horizon 4), can only spend enough to buy 1 console.

Then what should be improved of it, that is 'relevant' according to yours? If car list is redundant and probably, track lists too.

Lots could be improved for sure, but as a complete package it ticks a large amount of boxes for me. Car lists and track lists are completely different though and the more tracks the better.

There are minor improvements that could be made (customisable HUD, FOV adjustments etc.) and major improvements with more/varied FIA events, weather variety (even if not dynamic).

Some people will want the same things I do, others will want different things.

I actually think iracing gets a lot right as you can pretty much buy/subscribe to the bits of the game you want. It would be interesting to see if GT goes down that road.

Reviews are becoming useless these days as games tend to be so different a year down the line compared to when they were released. No Man's Sky the prime example.

CJ

Also games getting suspiciously good reviews when its the opposite coming from the community. Backdoor deals for review scores seems to be a thing. AAA game companies definitely have the money to be persuasive.

"comparing the car list is cheap"
*continues to compare anyway*

Massive exaggeration is massive.
I think you missed the point. He is showing why comparing the car list is cheap, not actually comparing it.

As for GT in general, it's fair to say that GT1 and GT2 were considered (at the time) as masterpieces, while no car racing game is today considered as a masterpiece because they don't feel as "revolutionnary" as GT felt at the time.

I think you missed the point. He is showing why comparing the car list is cheap, not actually comparing it.

As for GT in general, it's fair to say that GT1 and GT2 were considered (at the time) as masterpieces, while no car racing game is today considered as a masterpiece because they don't feel as "revolutionnary" as GT felt at the time.
Whatever way you spin it it's a direct comparison between each other, one that really isn't even grounded in reality either, and is an over exaggeration. Saying that one car list is bigger than the other because of reused assets is a comparison between the car list' quantity, even if the same thing was applied to both sides.

The trend is that people who played since GT1 have been switching to Forza, and never look back apart from totally mocking the former franchise they followed (GT).

In what universe? You seem biased.

GTS pros:

Best car and track models
Transparent physics
Deep online lobbies
Free DLC cars and tracks
Adjustable interior cameras
VR compatible
DS4 motion control support
Mature creative direction

GTS cons:

Outdated design choices
Nonexistent AI
Economy promotes micro-transactions
Stiff chase camera
Lack of singleplayer fun and features
No community challenges
Leaderboards are almost nonexistent

FM7 pros:

Large amount of content
Rotatable chase camera
Weekly and monthly community challenges
Free Play mode
Interactive cars in main menu
More leaderboards
Rain although not dynamic

FM7 cons:

Favors modifications over stock setups
Shallow career mode
Quirky physics
Dumb AI
Majority of new content has been paid DLC
Online lobbies lack depth
Very inconsistent quality control
Fixed interior cameras, which by default are way off in most cars
Immature creative direction

In what universe? You seem biased.

GTS pros:

Best car and track models
Transparent physics
Deep online lobbies
Free DLC cars and tracks
Adjustable interior cameras
VR compatible
DS4 motion control support
Mature creative direction

GTS cons:

Outdated design choices
Nonexistent AI
Economy promotes micro-transactions
Stiff chase camera
Lack of singleplayer fun and features
No community challenges
Leaderboards are almost nonexistent

FM7 pros:

Large amount of content
Rotatable chase camera
Weekly and monthly community challenges
Free Play mode
Interactive cars in main menu
More leaderboards
Rain although not dynamic

FM7 cons:

Favors modifications over stock setups
Shallow career mode
Quirky physics
Dumb AI
Majority of new content has been paid DLC
Online lobbies lack depth
Very inconsistent quality control
Fixed interior cameras, which by default are way off in most cars
Immature creative direction
And a distinct lack of penalty system until lately (FM7).

And a distinct lack of penalty system until lately (FM7).
Being as that isn't the case anymore, why would it be included? That just sounds odd, even more so that you acknowledge that it isn't. That'd be like adding a point against GTS that the car list was very small until lately. There's no point to add that, really.

Whether it's better or worse is another story, although it's highly likely not better because it's in it's infancy.

From my experience (and that of friends) the Forza Motorsport series peaked with FM4. It also coincided with the GT franchise losing focus and quality control/performance issues. Today however the Forza community heavily favours Horizon. Which is a closer competitor to Need for Speed than GT.

After a shaky start, GT Sport is now the go to series on console, for competitive racing. Be it pro’s or those who just want to jump into a clean online race. The last 18 months has also demonstrated PD are leaning back into the CaRPG elements. Initially with the car selection and GT League events. But I fully expect GT7 to go back to its routes, while still having Sport mode.

What the hell is a carpg?

Maybe GTS is a "go to series" for teenie boppers with a controller but it looses all credibility in an actual sim market. That's not saying it isn't fun playing for what it's worth.

Graphics are a great thing but that doesn't take the cake for the full experience. I'll always love Gran Turismo for teaching me about cars I never knew about. There was nothing like racing ordinary every day sedans around tracks fictional or real. They can turn around the divisiveness with GT7 so I'll wait to see what happens but with other titles out there filling in the major gaps now in just about all categories except for graphics, it's going to be hard for them to pull away again. Looking like they will try and corner the sim-cade market of car games.

From my understanding "carpg" refers to games that put a bigger emphasis on collecting cars than racing them. To me personally the only GT game that feels like a Carpg is GT5, and that's because of the leveling system which is a typical backbone component to a RPG game.

Back