If T10 gave this game an option to be a hard-core simulation it would be epic

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 54 comments
I don't think it should. It would possibly destroy what made Forza Horizon what it is today. Although it has the best physics of any arcade racer, even today, so I guess you can say it's both sim in driving, and arcade in style.

Forza Motorsport however, it would be the perfect place for anything hardcore, especially racing. 👍

Realistic physics would make this game unplayable. Take your GTi off road into a grass field and get stuck on a minor incline because wet grass has no traction. Never take a supercar off road because they would get high-centered on a rock immediately. Take away all the danger signs since not one of them is actually survivable with real physics. Hard pass.

You can have the option for realistic physics and damage, but then you will realise much of the gameplay will be severely compromised due to the amount of hard impact and offroad activities the Horizon series features.

Also, I would fully be against the removal of features just to level the simulation experience with the arcade side.

It would require them to completely rewrite what the series is, and the maps etc., unless you want the simulation to include months of physical therapy for your spine the first time you take an exotic supercar (or an offroader for that matter) off a 400ft jump.

Horizon became the juggernaut that it is because of what it does now. They should continue to double-down on that, and take new chances in exploring that road further - not just turn it into "Motorsport but an open-world!"

If anything, the existence of Horizon should free up Turn 10 to embrace going down the "simulation" road a little more next-gen.

It would just be an option older players could switch on and it wouldn't effect the arcade type of game play younger players play. When I switch it to hardcore mode and my Ferarri goes off the road it will get destroyed and stuck but that is a good IRL thing. Simulation players won't care if they don't get points for hitting signs. There focus will be on coming into first or beating a time and clean racing. Making a simulation option would only make the game appealing to more people and wouldn't change the arcade way of playing in any way if they don't want it just as switching brake assist on or off.

Whilst I would absolutely love a hardcore simulation in an open world, there's no way it could be incorporated into a Horizon game without making it a closed off, special section of the game.

So many of the races feature feats that are beyond simulation possibility.

It would just be an option older players could switch on and it wouldn't effect the arcade type of game play younger players play. When I switch it to hardcore mode and my Ferarri goes off the road it will get destroyed and stuck but that is a good IRL thing. Simulation players won't care if they don't get points for hitting signs. There focus will be on coming into first or beating a time and clean racing. Making a simulation option would only make the game appealing to more people and wouldn't change the arcade way of playing in any way if they don't want it just as switching brake assist on or off.
It just doesn't seem plausible to have two different physic models in one game, it just seems like a waste of time and money to cater to an extremely small playerbase. I don't even know how a game would work with two different physics models, especially when it comes to racing each other.

...the first open world game with simulation physics without taking away from the arcade side.
A blend of sim and arcade... Sort of one-of-a-kind excellence:

Moreover, some NFS (Need for Speed) titles have pretty good design on the game's theme. (illustration of the scene)

That cinematic epic in The Run, and the extraordinary style in Underground...
In Carbon's Canyon Duel, and Undercover's Highway Battle.
And those unforgettable scenes in the pre-2000 titles... Fin de siècle beauty.

...Though differently suffer from various problems. (non-sense physics, out-of-the-scene graphics/emulation... one or another, more or less)

Actually Forza is one of the examples... ("Simulation" vs. "Normal" in the settings)
No, that's not one at all. That's just two different input models, and has absolutely nothing to do with physics changing.

Isn't the input an important part of the physics?..

Also, read the in-game descriptions on them.
The input model is important to drive a car. It has nothing to do with the physics model, it's just removing the dampers and making the steering ratio 1:1 to your inputs.

The input model is important to drive a car. It has nothing to do with the physics model...
A system without input... would be frozen.

...it's just removing the dampers and making the steering ratio 1:1 to your inputs.
"Assisted steering will use Forza's artificial intelligence to guide your steering when necessary.
Normal steering gives you full control but dampens certain physical effects to make driving easier."

What alters the Input-Translation manner in the mentioned way is making the game recognize the primary input device as a supported wheel.

A blend of sim and arcade... Sort of one-of-a-kind excellence:

Moreover, some NFS (Need for Speed) titles have pretty good design on the game's theme. (illustration of the scene)

That cinematic epic in The Run, and the extraordinary style in Underground...
In Carbon's Canyon Duel, and Undercover's Highway Battle.
And those unforgettable scenes in the pre-2000 titles... Fin de siècle beauty.

...Though differently suffer from various problems. (non-sense physics, out-of-the-scene graphics/emulation... one or another, more or less)

I don't particularly like an arcade games. Hardcore simulalation is my thing.. But I don't think there is any need of taking away the arcade style the younger ages. I believe it would not be much work for T10 to have both physics in the game.

I think the Forza Horizon series need to remain Simul-Arcade, also because we have seen too many simulation games to the point that i got bored of the racing games.

Name the simulation open world games that are over populating the market.

A system without input... would be frozen.
Yes, exactly, but it still has nothing to do with the physics. It's just how it reads your inputs.

"Assisted steering will use Forza's artificial intelligence to guide your steering when necessary.
Normal steering gives you full control but dampens certain physical effects to make driving easier."
Yes, so you've proved my point, That it's a damper that physically affects the steering. Not the physics the game is simulating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I really have to spell out racing. As in open world racing simulation...
It was just a joke. No harm intended.
I also agree that Horizon is not the right game for hard-core simulation. But if in the future somebody will make a TDU alike game with proper simulation physics I would buy it without second thoughts.

It was just a joke. No harm intended.
I also agree that Horizon is not the right game for hard-core simulation. But if in the future somebody will make a TDU alike game with proper simulation physics I would buy it without second thoughts.

There is a lot of opposition towards my post and I believe it has to do with our age differences(the 67 is for 1967) and that changes your perspective on what is fun. But also the fact that if you want a Ferrari 458 or a Nissan 370 in the game why would you not want it to perform exactly like it should..Simulation. otherwise just not go through the time and expense of licensing real world cars..

But also the fact that if you want a Ferrari 458 or a Nissan 370 in the game why would you not want it to perform exactly like it should..Simulation. otherwise just not go through the time and expense of licensing real world cars..

This is such an asinine point that I am legitimately amazed that you seem to think it is worthwhile. You...you do realize that arcade racing games have been using real life vehicles for years now, without much issue?

Latest Posts

Back